The Farsley game a year ago.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

The Farsley game a year ago.

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:17 pm

So it's just about a whole year since we last played a game in front of fans - and this makes for an eerie kind of anniversary.

I remember standing next to one of the Farsley officials just before kick off and at that time he seemed to give the impression that the virus shouldn't be a big problem, but of course in reality no one could have foreseen how the crisis has panned out since then. I don't think anyone at that time thought that one year on, Blackwell Meadows still wouldn't be open for fans.

On thinking back to the match itself, it was eventful and frustrating! It was a game we really should have won but we missed chances and our goal keeper had a freakishly bad afternoon. Meanwhile, Syers came back, scored two goals, and enjoyed himself.

I've just had a read through the after match thread on here, and there are a lot of ideas and opinions as to how things would, or could play out after that match - but in hindsight not many are anywhere near correct, myself included.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Re: The Farsley game a year ago.

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 pm

I don't feel I was too far off...the glaring bit I got wrong was that there would be no more games when in fact there were playoffs.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:48 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:17 pm
So it's just about a whole year since we last played a game in front of fans - and this makes for an eerie kind of anniversary.

I remember standing next to one of the Farsley officials just before kick off and at that time he seemed to give the impression that the virus shouldn't be a big problem, but of course in reality no one could have foreseen how the crisis has panned out since then. I don't think anyone at that time thought that one year on, Blackwell Meadows still wouldn't be open for fans.

On thinking back to the match itself, it was eventful and frustrating! It was a game we really should have won but we missed chances and our goal keeper had a freakishly bad afternoon. Meanwhile, Syers came back, scored two goals, and enjoyed himself.

I've just had a read through the after match thread on here, and there are a lot of ideas and opinions as to how things would, or could play out after that match - but in hindsight not many are anywhere near correct, myself included.
Funnily enough I was just thinking about this yesterday, it was an appropriately strange game for what was a strange afternoon in some respects it felt similar to the final match at Feethams a dull day and a strange atmosphere there was something in the air (quite literally). Conversely I don't think anyone there that day imagined we'd be at Blackwell Meadows in years to come but time is a funny thing and you don't seem to realise how funny it is until it starts passing you by, which in lockdown is exactly what it does.

I think the worse thing for me has been the sense of being robbed, a good cup run is usually something to celebrate but I was absolutely gutted we couldn't be there at Swindon and Bristol Rovers - two grounds which I've never been to and would loved to have visited I'd have relished the long journey back home after a 6-0 mauling as much I'd have relished drowning my sorrows in the pub after bottling it in the Trophy against Hornchurch a couple of weeks ago!

I naively believed when restrictions were lifted the first time round last summer we had passed the worst of it but come September it was clear it was far from over as the virus came back at us with a vengeance. The silver lining however a year later there is a light at the end of the tunnel with the phenomenal vaccine roll out a staggering achievement considering we were confronted with a virus which up until early last year little was known about.

I'd say the last year played out very much the way that game did 2-1 up and in bossing it then of all a sudden it was 2-2 and it all unravelled, hopefully this time round lessons have been learned and we've tightened up at the back. I haven't seen Darlo play since and hopefully the next time I do it will be at BM without face masks, hand sanitiser, social distancing and track and trace and nor will we be flattening any curves.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 pm

I was one of the few who have seen them in the flesh since then with a crowd. I went to the Scarborough game in September as I thought it might be the only chance for some time. Didn't think it would be this long though.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:15 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:17 pm

summed up well although i think at that point the virus was still really an unknown and we were still learning about it. this game was the day after 250k people had packed into Cheltenham races so i think a lot thought on that basis that the league suspension was only temporary not a year plus without fans

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 am

Don't forget the ridiculous decision for Liverpool to play Athletic Madrid in front of a packed house when Spain'a FA had banned fans from attending domestic games.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:25 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:48 pm
I naively believed when restrictions were lifted the first time round last summer we had passed the worst of it
Me too.

I thought the press and medics were over exaggerating the possible 2nd wave. I believed that we may have one, but not like this.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 pm

A few of us sponsored that game and, had it not been for that reason, I don't know if I would have gone.

Anyway, I did and it was a genuinely bonkers game. We hammered them and lost 2-4.

Classic Darlo.