Our crowds

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Our crowds

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:45 pm

You know what, I have a sneaky suspicion that despite the recession, that our crowds will go up a little bit next season, regardless of position.

Anybody else feel this or am I out on my own here?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quaker4life

Re: Our crowds

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Quakerz wrote:You know what, I have a sneaky suspicion that despite the recession, that our crowds will go up a little bit next season, regardless of position.

Anybody else feel this or am I out on my own here?
Unfortunately I can't see this happening.

We'll get a good turn out for the the Leeds game, should break the 3,000 mark for the first home league game against Bury then I reckon it will even out about 2,800.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Ever the optimist I say I can't see why not.

New management.
Team looks good.
Backroom staff look good.

The only way is up.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:14 pm

BishopQuaker wrote:Ever the optimist I say I can't see why not.

New management.
Team looks good.
Backroom staff look good.

The only way is up.
It looked good under Penney as well didn't it? But they still didn't turn up.

Time will tell I suppose but as a realist I can't see the attendances changing.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:16 pm

You're also a repetetive negative boring c***.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:18 pm

Quakerz wrote:You're also a repetetive negative boring c***.
We've all got our faults.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Shite. You got there before I had chance to post.

Ah well. I'll do it anyway as I'm a bit bored.

You Got....

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Over the internet?

Sorry BQ I don't do internet serious business, I couldn't care less what anyone says on here :D .

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:48 pm

That's class.

I shall be using that in future :lol:

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:06 pm

I'd imagine that our crowds should be up from the gamse after we went into admin, alot of people turned there backs on the club because of Houghton being in charge, with a bit of luck these people will return under Raj, to get our crowds to increase even more Raj is going to have to get the commercial department into shape, the noises are promising with the ideas of the team going into schools

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 pm

I have a feeling we will be lucky to get 2000 for the first home game, a positive result against leeds might make stayaways stand up and notice.

As of yesterday there was around 800 season tickets sold

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:49 pm

e4sby wrote:I have a feeling we will be lucky to get 2000 for the first home game, a positive result against leeds might make stayaways stand up and notice.

I think that's a bit extreme e4sby!

I think they'll hover between the 2,800 - 3,000 mark like they did for much of last season, I think you could be right for midweek games though especially through out the winter.

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:13 pm

in all honesty i cant see it, the team looks average to say the least, i hope im wrong but time will tell, i think we'll average 2400

mobi

Post by mobi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:21 pm

quaker4life wrote:
e4sby wrote:I have a feeling we will be lucky to get 2000 for the first home game, a positive result against leeds might make stayaways stand up and notice.

I think they'll hover between the 2,800 - 3,000 mark like they did for much of last season, I think you could be right for midweek games though especially through out the winter.
I think he might have a point. I expect the gates to be hovering around the 2,000 mark. Firstly, we've only sold 750 season tickets, which is back at the level it was in the 1980's. Secondly, as soon as people realise that this team is going to have a long, hard struggle ahead of them, and stuck in the bottom half of the table, it will soon appear that the good old days have gone.

On the plus side, no Premiership at Boro or Newcastle, which can only help us avoid losing more glory hunters.

We can't expect the Town to flock back considering everything that has happened with the club over recent years. Dark days ahead perhaps, but we'll come through.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:33 pm

I think crowds will average out around 2,500 for the season.

In this present climate quite a few people will have to cut things out of their budget and one of the first to go will be going to watch Darlo play. Whether it's a fair price or not relative to others in our league, £16-£18 for a ticket will but people, worried about their finances, off. It also won't help if we, as a lot are predicting, find ourselves in the bottom half of the league.

bigrichiet

Post by bigrichiet » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:53 pm

mobi wrote:
quaker4life wrote:

I think he might have a point. I expect the gates to be hovering around the 2,000 mark. Firstly, we've only sold 750 season tickets, which is back at the level it was in the 1980's. Secondly, as soon as people realise that this team is going to have a long, hard struggle ahead of them, and stuck in the bottom half of the table, it will soon appear that the good old days have gone.

On the plus side, no Premiership at Boro or Newcastle, which can only help us avoid losing more glory hunters.

We can't expect the Town to flock back considering everything that has happened with the club over recent years. Dark days ahead perhaps, but we'll come through.
i think we've alredy established though that the ticket sales have been affected by the delay in coming out of admin. i dont doubt that we've probs lost 3 or 400 ticket holders from last season anyway with effects of the houghton regime and the recession, but i expect the total to get up to approx 1200 if we can get out of admin sharp.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 pm

I tend to agree with Quakerz.

After we came out of admin last time we started to feel like DFC again after the nightmare of Reynolds and I am hoping for a similar feel good factor this time around -after the calamity of February onwards. Obviously it depends on what happens on the pitch but I think with a few loan signings we will be competitive.
Also I think the 2,500 are pretty much the die hard fans now anyway. Don't think we will drop below that as this summer will have galvanised our support. As a fan living away I am more determined to get to as many games as I can having had to think about the possibility of life without Darlo.

Darlo Cockney

Post by Darlo Cockney » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Well i am looking more positive than many.

1). After GH pulled the plug there was no incentive for many as we were not going to get promotion - no hope so why go.
2). I know people that stopped going just because of GH - why put money into his, or the Administrator's pocket ?
3). The level of service in bars and concourse was awful.
4). We all knew that Penney was off, as were most of the players.

Now, we have a new owner and manager that have already shown that they have a different attitude and relationship with the fans.
Colin Todd has put together a squad, which may not take the division by storm, but then, we just don't know.
Results WILL be important to set expectations in the first few weeks, but that is why it is important that the hardcore of fans get behind the team.
Get a little run going, with more welcoming service and we will attract fans back.

It's time some people stopped moaning and knocking the Club - the season hasn't even started yet.

DC
Started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:07 pm

To be fair DC I don't think anybody was knocking the club here.

Just simply speculating on what next season's attendances will be.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Ah...the old 'knocking the club' chestnut.

Why does that always come out when people start getting realistic?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Hilly wrote:Ah...the old 'knocking the club' chestnut.

Why does that always come out when people start getting realistic?
People trying to comfort themselves by being optimistic when the reality is bleak? Can't say I blame them!

Back onto the subject 2,600 is the mininum IMO.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:53 pm

DC - I don't think anyone is knocking the club.

I still think regardless of where we are in the league, the single most important factor in all of this is the present economic climate. A lot of people have lost their jobs recently, a proportion of those will be Darlo fans or even just occasional visitors.

Maybe the club could give unemployed fans admission at concession rates.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:01 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:DC - I don't think anyone is knocking the club.

I still think regardless of where we are in the league, the single most important factor in all of this is the present economic climate. A lot of people have lost their jobs recently, a proportion of those will be Darlo fans or even just occasional visitors.

Maybe the club could give unemployed fans admission at concession rates.
To be honest rob with or with out a recession there'd still be little interest as has been discussed before this is the state of the lower leagues in general, you might see a slight change if we were winning every week and charging a tenner to get in!

The thing is back at Feethams crowds like that were the norm, I've said before since the move to White Elephant Lane some of our fans see it through rose tinted glasses. Crowds of 2,500 - 3,000 are ridiculously low but at the end of that's the reality of the situation and we need to learn to accept it because it isn't going to change any time soon.

The ironic thing is crowds have gone up since we left Feethams but to be honest there isn't much else the club can do as the people they're trying to branch out to just aren't interested.

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:19 pm

We'll probably average around 2,600 this season, give or take a hundred or so.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:44 am

With a chairman and manager that has already shown they actually care about the fans and wants to treat us as valued customers and involve us with the club, I can see some of the stayaways coming back.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:05 pm

I predict crowds of around 2,400- 2,600 for the majority of the season.
Think before posting