Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:13 am

Well done last night to Cats. A hard-fought game with a lot of mistakes by both sides.
You just knew that with 5 minutes to go it was all set up for Tomkins to do something special and boy did he oblige.

Just got to Wigwam and sat in the carpark. Quite surprised to find we were not the first ones here from Hull. (Normally are at away games).
Lots of money piled on your lot overnight Pete. KR have gone from 11/10 out to 3/1. Got no horses running this weekend so had a few bob spare to have an extra flutter on the single.
We are 2-2 in this season's meetings. We won easily at CP. Golden point in the cup semi and you thrashed our reserves and academy kids the week before the cup final. Best game for you was round 17 at CP.
I will say this now so it does not look like sour grapes if we lose. I have seen lots of people talking all over social media this week about your 3 players serving bans in reserve fixtures. Wigan are NOT cheating by doing this, but it is a rule that needs to be tightened up. There is no way that French in particular would ever be near a reserve squad. If the "loophole" is to remain, it should change to must have played in at least 3 reserve games at the very least, or better still, suspensions to be served in the competition they were awarded for.
Lastly, everyone talking about Tomkins and Roby, but we also say goodbye to 1 of my favourites in this era LMS. A true gentleman. Always time to chat with anyone

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:46 am

Wow what a performance from Wigan, as they dominated Hull KR in a massive win. It was like men against boys. Bring on the final, which we will start as strong favourites.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:48 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:46 am
Wow what a performance from Wigan, as they dominated Hull KR in a massive win. It was like men against boys. Bring on the final, which we will start as strong favourites.

Not convinced you were that good simply because we did not turn up. The game had gone in 15 minutes, and all 3 tries SHOULD have been stopped.
I was happy with the fightback,(though the score says it was all 1 way).
Hey ho. I said we would get 4th before the season started so as I expected. A cup final is never to be sneezed at to go with it. Sad we fell short in both, even if we were robbed in the cup final.
Sorry, but I am shouting for Cats next week. 1 because I want to see a new name on the trophy and 2 because I do not like the way Wigan play the game.
I know you will defend them and say they play to the rules, but they stretch them. Just 1 example yesterday. 10 minutes into the second half 3 of your players grabbed Walker and pulled him back about 10 yards. Within the rules? NOT when he was totally off the floor virtually the entire distance, but as usual, not given. The laying on and delaying the play of the ball is always ridiculous.

Are you going next week?

By the way, with the new signings. and if we can stay anything like clear of injuries, we will finish higher next season. Maybe not league leaders yet, but top 3.

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 838
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:10 pm

Well done to Wigan, HKR were poor and got a stuffing.
I do think Dragons will win the GF, but will be close, and no not attending.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:49 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:10 pm
Well done to Wigan, HKR were poor and got a stuffing.
I do think Dragons will win the GF, but will be close, and no not attending.
Cas just signed Rowen Milnes on a 2 year deal. Fast becoming "KR ex Tigers" :lol:
A good lad. Hope he does well for you

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:46 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:10 pm
Well done to Wigan, HKR were poor and got a stuffing.
I do think Dragons will win the GF, but will be close, and no not attending.
How can you say that Rob, when just a couple of weeks ago Wigan walloped Catalan at their own ground. Plus the Wigan support will vastly outnumber the Catalan support. Tough decision as to whether to go or not, but I feel that Darlo are more in need of my support, so I'll be watching the game in full on TV.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:32 pm

Well I definitely made the wrong choice today. I should have gone to the Grand Final. Excellent performance today to restrict Catalan to only 2 points. The strength in depth is frightening and that is why we've won the Superleague. Obviously, having superstars like French & Field is a massive help, but bringing in even more signings could make Wigan a leading force for many seasons to come and they will only get better. As I've said before many sides have very good first 13's but the reserves or replacements are not up to the same standard.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:14 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:32 pm
Well I definitely made the wrong choice today. I should have gone to the Grand Final. Excellent performance today to restrict Catalan to only 2 points. The strength in depth is frightening and that is why we've won the Superleague. Obviously, having superstars like French & Field is a massive help, but bringing in even more signings could make Wigan a leading force for many seasons to come and they will only get better. As I've said before many sides have very good first 13's but the reserves or replacements are not up to the same standard.
I basically agree with your comment re first-team players, (but it is 17 not 13), however, you won last night because it was a battle of attrition and Cats ill discipline cost them dearly.
I would not have thought it was a great game to watch for the passing TV punter and was way, way short of the NRL grand final, but to those of us who love a good dose of "Biff" it was a fun-to-watch encounter.
What could have been had we turned up last week !!!!!

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 838
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:53 pm

Best team won on the day, it was brutal and not a good watch really for a neutral, but some of us know what type of game it was, Wigan have bags full of cash so will always be near the top, the lesser teams with a smaller population will always be playing catch up, thats as the premier league football.

We are miles behind the NRL, one point I do notice is that over here the ball doesnt seem to get kicked as high, some of the kicks yesterday were really poor quality, just in my opinion.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:23 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:53 pm
Best team won on the day, it was brutal and not a good watch really for a neutral, but some of us know what type of game it was, Wigan have bags full of cash so will always be near the top, the lesser teams with a smaller population will always be playing catch up, thats as the premier league football.

We are miles behind the NRL, one point I do notice is that over here the ball doesnt seem to get kicked as high, some of the kicks yesterday were really poor quality, just in my opinion.
Totally agree. 1 of the things that makes the NRL so much faster game is the "hang time" that the ball is in the air. The only UK player who matches them is Jordan Abdul, who unfortunately is injury-prone and misses half a season each year.

Rob, I have to say, I think Cas have made the signing of the winter already in getting Mags onboard. I see a lot of your fans moaning about him, but he will do a hell of a job, though I was a tad shocked he went in as assistant having said no to the number 1 job.
KR were stupid for sacking him for it and we will live to regret it.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:01 pm

Congratulations to the London Bronco's shock comeback win at Toulouse, to get back into the Superleague.

Very sad to see that Gateshead Thunder have folded after they dot relegated from the Championship. Bad news for Rugby League in the North East.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:20 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:01 pm
Congratulations to the London Bronco's shock comeback win at Toulouse, to get back into the Superleague.

Very sad to see that Gateshead Thunder have folded after they dot relegated from the Championship. Bad news for Rugby League in the North East.
Funny thing that. I thought I had been going to NEWCASTLE Thunder at Kingston Park. Oh well, you know best.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:47 am

Yes sorry it was of course Newcastle Thunder.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:49 pm

This is crazy, basically the London Broncos are relegated from the Premiership before a ball is kicked. This can't be right or am I missing something? Here is the link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/67215216

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:07 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:49 pm
This is crazy, basically the London Broncos are relegated from the Premiership before a ball is kicked. This can't be right or am I missing something? Here is the link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/67215216
I have got quite friendly with a young guy from London who is basically a Bronco fan, but travels all over England to watch RL
He has some well-documented mental health issues with meeting people and is using RL to help combat that.
He has told me that they are seeking a long-term move this year to a ground that will greatly improve their score, and if it comes off they believe they can improve their score across the board. I hope so. They EARNED their place in SL and should lose it on the pitch. Not an office.
Rochdale is another club far too low down the rankings.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:46 pm

The problem is that relegation won't be decided on the pitch, it'll be decided by a stupid formula, absolutely bonkers. The people in charge of RL need to give their heads a shake.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:02 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:46 pm
The problem is that relegation won't be decided on the pitch, it'll be decided by a stupid formula, absolutely bonkers. The people in charge of RL need to give their heads a shake.
Every fan I know at every club has been saying that for years.
I still think we should go back to 2 leagues of 16 teams with 2 up and down. (Champions + 1 other).
That would mean sides that were relegated could get back up and clubs happy to muck along in the lower levels would still pick up a couple of decent paydays on the gate to help them keep going.
We simply can't lose clubs like Newcastle, and asking Whitehaven and Workington to join forces as 1 is simply stupid.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:12 am

Totally disgusted but not at all shocked that Wane brings back Williams for the 3rd test.
Simply because he is skipper? Or Wigwam?
Mickey Lewis has been the best English player on the pitch over 2 games, so why drop the player of the series?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:53 pm

Williams doesn't play for Wigan. I think it's a bit rich Wane saying that England are going for a clean sweep over Tonga. Let's face it, we should be thumping them and we have been very underwhelming in the first 2 tests. Not impressed.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:51 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:53 pm
Williams doesn't play for Wigan. I think it's a bit rich Wane saying that England are going for a clean sweep over Tonga. Let's face it, we should be thumping them and we have been very underwhelming in the first 2 tests. Not impressed.
Did he not play 179 games for Wigwam mostly with Wane as his manager?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:29 pm

Of course he's played for Wigan, but not for a while now. So why mention Wigan in your message about Williams? Despite Wigan winning the Grand Final very few Wigan players feature in the England squad and why on earth did Farrell not start last weekend?

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:48 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:29 pm
Of course he's played for Wigan, but not for a while now. So why mention Wigan in your message about Williams? Despite Wigan winning the Grand Final very few Wigan players feature in the England squad and why on earth did Farrell not start last weekend?
My point is that Wane has his favourites, most of whom played for him at Wigwam.
Are you honestly saying that Mickey Lewis, who was the best player on the pitch TWICE deserved to be dropped?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:44 am

I see the Magic Weekend has been mover to Elland Road as apparently St. James Park wasn't available.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:16 pm

Great to hear that Newcastle Thunder have been re-admitted to Division 1, after a change of ownership. :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:00 pm

Great news for Wigan fans, but bad news for the rest of the Super League, Jai Field has signed a new 4 year contract.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:34 am

Great news for RL, as the BBC will show 15 SL league games over the season and also their continuing commitment to the Challenge Cup and the World Club Challenge. The first game will be next Saturday between Castleford and Wigan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/68229917

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:50 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:34 am
Great news for RL, as the BBC will show 15 SL league games over the season and also their continuing commitment to the Challenge Cup and the World Club Challenge. The first game will be next Saturday between Castleford and Wigan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/68229917
I would be much happier if ALL games were on terrestrial TV, but I do hope Auntie Beeb make as good a job of it as Channel 4 has done.
Looking forward to the first televised game of the season, which of course is the only real Derby in the game, and hoping we keep control of the city.
Sadly I don't see a lot to play for this season in many ways as we know before the season starts who is going down. 100% wrong that it is decided in an office somewhere rather than out on the pitch.

Also, sadly, can't see anyone beating Wigwam to the GF, though I am taking Cats to win the league. Stay relatively injury-free, KR will certainly be top 4 again and hoping we can go 1 better in the cup.

Toulouse for the Championship with Feath for the 85 cup.
Midland Hurricanes for league 1.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14057
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:28 pm

Met an Oldham RL fan at the Darlo game yesterday. He reckons they will definitely win League 1 and their win yesterday at Championship side Barrow, perhaps gives his prediction some credence.

Yes I agree it's completely ridiculous that the London Bronco's are likely to be relegated before the season has even started. I hope they do as well as newly promoted Leigh Leopards did last season after being promoted from the Championship. Hopefully it might persuade the powers to be, to change this ridiculous decision.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:37 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:28 pm
Met an Oldham RL fan at the Darlo game yesterday. He reckons they will definitely win League 1 and their win yesterday at Championship side Barrow, perhaps gives his prediction some credence.

Yes I agree it's completely ridiculous that the London Bronco's are likely to be relegated before the season has even started. I hope they do as well as newly promoted Leigh Leopards did last season after being promoted from the Championship. Hopefully it might persuade the powers to be, to change this ridiculous decision.
I have nightmares about Oldham ever since they came to CP and turned us over easily in the cup a few years ago. I did think about them, but I think Toulouse's experience will tell this year.
As to the Bronco's, having been down there a few times the place is not ideal, YET, but they have spent a lot of money upgrading year by year.
I would rather see that continue that have a splurge-and-bust attitude.
I do feel a lot of this has to do with getting Bradford back in SL, but while I totally believe we should be playing the cup final and GF there and bringing it up to a state of the art ground at this point in time it is a total tip and in no way should it get priority simply because the RFL own it.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:30 am

GAME DAY
and the nerves are a mess already !!!!
I spend most of my time in the Hull area now and the tension has been growing all week.
We have certainly been "Top dogs" the last couple of years but that counts for nothing tonight.
Hoping for a win, and to parody the song, "Any win will do" !!!
I can't remember the last time KR were involved in the first game of the week in both rounds 1 and 2 and on TV both times as we have the visit of the Whino's to look forward to next week.
By the way, I know CP holds only just over 10,000 so not 1 of the larger grounds but we are sold out for virtually every match of the season already apart from away fans allocations. The club holds back a couple of hundred for each game for "late sales" to build interest in the week before each game , but when you consider we were down to 1400 just a few years ago that actually keeps my hope up for Darlo going forward.

Post Reply