Famous people you have bumped into and chatted to;

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

gabbas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Famous people you have bumped into and chatted to;

Post by gabbas » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:14 pm

I bumped into Razor Ruddock after a Joe Calzaghe sportmans dinner at Ramside Hall. I was pissed an talked s*** for half an hour, I am lucky he didnt punch me.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Am I the only one who DOESN'T talk to famous people if I see them?

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:18 pm

DIRTYDAVE wrote:Remember few years ago was at croft for the touring cars and was looking at the renault cars that were about go out to start the race and seen a guy black/haftcast lad waiting with his car. was thinking that was weird to see that, because alot of the races have double barrel names and very well off. It was lewis hamilton. :lol:
also seen alot of drivers that are now in f1. vicky butler henderson and jason plato who was racing also. :wave:
I remember seeing Jenson Button at Croft must be 15 years ago in the Formula Ford or 3000

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:29 pm

I chatted with Graham Hill just before he died, at the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch.

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:29 am

Met quite a few that have passed through the airport. Organised a lot of football charter flights, and that usually means getting to chat with the club managers. Chris Hughton always comes across well, Harry Redknapp is as you might imagine him (always nominates a few players to help the baggage handlers unload the kit bags!), and Steve Bruce is very easy going. The only one that is really hard work is the bloke who was at Fulham last season who's name escapes me at the min.

I've also had a pint with Michael Palin in a hotel once. The hotel double booked my room with his, and while they tried to sort it out, he bought me a beer in the hotel bar. Was talking to him for a good hour or so, and he is a genuinely nice bloke, and exactly how you might imagine him to be!
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:28 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I chatted with Graham Hill just before he died, at the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch.
He didn't hang himself ten minutes into the conversation did he ?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:51 am

aveda wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I chatted with Graham Hill just before he died, at the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch.

:lol:

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:03 am

Forgot to say met big Niall Quinn very briefly down the Quayside. Really sound fella, shook his hand and they are enormous, I have big hands and they made mine feel like Andy Park's. He should have been a goalkeeper, or transvestite with hands like that.

Met Gary Speed in St Tropez in summer 1999, his lass was quite tidy. An all star Ginola v Catona beach 5 aside game was happening that night so I asked him if he was here to play and he said 'no i haven't been asked.' Something of a conversation stopper!!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:10 am

Was on the train with that Effy bird from Skins, had to resist the urge to try and poke her :oops:

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:46 am

aveda wrote:

DL5

Post by DL5 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 am

divas wrote:Was on the train with that Effy bird from Skins, had to resist the urge to try and poke her :oops:
Glad you did or Cook would have kicked off :lol: Were the twins with her? ;)

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:13 am

DL5 wrote:
divas wrote:Was on the train with that Effy bird from Skins, had to resist the urge to try and poke her :oops:
Glad you did or Cook would have kicked off :lol: Were the twins with her? ;)
Fortunately not, i don't think i'd have been able to handle myself otherwise. She was with that Carl geez from Shameless.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:25 am

John Cooper Clarke spent a night in my Uni house last year.

He'd had a recent argument with his agent and ended up in Newcastle without a place to stay following a gig. One of my flatmates parents were good friends with him, they contacted said flatmate and over he came. He's pretty much as you'd expect, strange but full of brilliant stories and quick remarks.

Besides that I showed Jon Tickle around a Museum once and I met one of the Chuckle Brothers in Lambs Toy Shop when I was about 6...
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 am

Darlo_H wrote:John Cooper Clarke spent a night in my Uni house last year.
That is as much awesome as it is frightening.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:58 am

I’ve met Ant from Ant and Dec fame (the tall one), he was a very genuine guy who didn’t mind having a chat, what I was surprised about was his cockney wife isn’t a looker at all and even though he has a stake in a bar in Newcastle he wasn’t there but in one of the cheapest bars I’ve ever been, surely he could afford a nice place to drink. He is also not very tall so Dec must be a midget.

I met Martin Johnson and George Chuter at the first NFL game at Wembley, it was the first regular season game to be played out of America, they were honorary captains of one of the teams (think they were on the dolphins side?) Johnson was nice enough but Chuter was above and beyond chatting away ignoring the bitch from sky who was trying to get him to move along away from me, he is the spitting image of the dwarf on lord of the rings.

I once served Jonny Wilkinson at the bar at Mowden Rugby Club, he seemed like a quiet and almost shy person, he stayed very professional throughout only having water or lucozade. One of my friends is a very very good young rugby player who from the age of about 15 has been mentored by Wilkinson and even now, even though he moved away from Falcons to France he still gets a text message from him saying good luck in your game today and try to think about X, Y, and Z during the game. All round a great guy.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:08 am

liddle_4_ever wrote: I once served Jonny Wilkinson at the bar at Mowden Rugby Club, he seemed like a quiet and almost shy person, he stayed very professional throughout only having water or lucozade. One of my friends is a very very good young rugby player who from the age of about 15 has been mentored by Wilkinson and even now, even though he moved away from Falcons to France he still gets a text message from him saying good luck in your game today and try to think about X, Y, and Z during the game. All round a great guy.
I found Jonny to be really quiet too. Lovely bloke mind.
Martin Johnson is also a nice guy. Big as a frigging house mind you! I offered to buy him a pint but he said he had one waiting for him.
Fair do's.

Other genuinely nice people - Peter Beardsley.
Without a doubt a proper gent of the game.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:40 am

liddle_4_ever wrote:I’ve met Ant from Ant and Dec fame (the tall one), he was a very genuine guy who didn’t mind having a chat, what I was surprised about was his cockney wife isn’t a looker at all and even though he has a stake in a bar in Newcastle he wasn’t there but in one of the cheapest bars I’ve ever been, surely he could afford a nice place to drink. He is also not very tall so Dec must be a midget.

I met Martin Johnson and George Chuter at the first NFL game at Wembley, it was the first regular season game to be played out of America, they were honorary captains of one of the teams (think they were on the dolphins side?) Johnson was nice enough but Chuter was above and beyond chatting away ignoring the bitch from sky who was trying to get him to move along away from me, he is the spitting image of the dwarf on lord of the rings.

Wsnt Wilkinsons brother playing rugby for mowden at the time ? I was at the game Johny was at, it wasnt too long after the world cup final if i remember right
I once served Jonny Wilkinson at the bar at Mowden Rugby Club, he seemed like a quiet and almost shy person, he stayed very professional throughout only having water or lucozade. One of my friends is a very very good young rugby player who from the age of about 15 has been mentored by Wilkinson and even now, even though he moved away from Falcons to France he still gets a text message from him saying good luck in your game today and try to think about X, Y, and Z during the game. All round a great guy.
Think before posting

fairfieldquaker

Post by fairfieldquaker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:37 pm

The most recent one for me was I met Tom Daley at the Diving World Series in Sheffield last year, had a quick chat and had a photo with him - he seemed really quiet but happy to meet fans.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:38 pm

I once served Neil Maddison at McDonald's.

Just last week I saw Ruby Wax at Luton Airport. I didn't speak to her though.

About 9 months ago I walked past Thierry Henry about 50 metres away from my flat. I didn't speak to him - he was already chatting to someone else.

I also met Mickey Mouse.

DFC123
Team Supported: Darlington; Newcastle

Post by DFC123 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:50 pm

ive met and chatted to many people who arent particually we known yet.

My work as junior motorsport corrospondent for a indipendant fan owned Formula 1 website has lead me to meet and interview some of the biggest stars of formula 1s future:

Marcus Ericsson, Juiles Bianchi, Alexander Sims, Alexander Rossi to name jsut a few

I also had the pleasure of talking to Henry Surtees just before he was tragically killed last summer

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Julian Cope at one of the Teardrop Explodes final gigs at Leicester University - he drafted me and my mate in to help put the stage up. Doubt he'll remember - he was smashed out of his skull at the time.

Slightly less famous - I remember talking to Alan Murray - in that new(ish) pub just off the A66 at Yarm Lane in Stockton, near the car showrooms. I think it wasn't too long after he was our manager - nice guy.

Hey! We could get him and Graeme Souness in as our new managerial team!
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Myself and a mate saw Sir Bob Geldof in WHSmiths on Kings Cross station, he was trying to go unnoticed under a low hat, but we sussed him. Unfortunately my mate then shouted 'Hey Bob, give us yer f**cking money', obviously taking the mick out of his infamous appeal during Live Aid. Sir Bob did reply though - 'Piss off' he said as he walked away!!!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Gazza again, in the Greyhound near the Civic Theatre. New years eve before a game (Northampton?) while he was with Lazio. He was going to the panto to see Linda Lusardi, who also came into the pub. Then some bloke who I thought was Ian McShane (Lovejoy) came in, but it turned out it was only Sam Kane.

Probably the only famous people I've ever met, and they were all on the same day in the same sh1thole of a pub in Darlo.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Nimrod wrote:obviously taking the mick out of his infamous appeal during Live Aid.
You mean the infamous appeal that he never made?

I can't imagine how boring it must be for him to hear that line shouted at him wherever he goes.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:46 pm

I met Jesus once. He cured me of leprosy.

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:13 pm

I was once queuing up outside Ayresome Park (I hate to admit this), and had a chat with Kenneth ‘They think it’s all over’ Wolstenholme. At the time I think he was commentating for Tyne Tees TV. I still remember he said ‘Excuse me, gentlemen, must go’ when he moved on, and my friend and I were only about 12.

I was once working in Harrogate and didn’t realise I was standing next to Dustin Hoffman until someone pointed it out. I only noticed him when he walked away from us. He really is quite short.

About ten years ago at the Le Mans 24 hour race I was invited with a couple of mates to have a chat with former world champion Mario Andretti. We were in his caravan for about half an hour talking about his career, and his new house in Florida. My mate had just supplied the roof tiles which is why we got the invite. He was a real cool character.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:02 pm

Why does everyone always have a "chat" with famous people?!?!?!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:12 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:Why does everyone always have a "chat" with famous people?!?!?!
Because you're a massive bell-end.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:21 pm

NonLeagueFodder
Team Supported: Pools, of course!

Post by NonLeagueFodder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Alan Walsh used to live in the same close as us

Me & my younger brother used to play thee pots in with him, he used to really wack the ball against us, nice fella though, drove a brown Moggie Marina 1.8 TC

Billy Horner lived over the back from us as well, nice chap also

Whilst I worked in London I spoke to Nasty Nick from Eastenders, saw that Amanda Holden at a cash point in Union Street,SE1, saw Joan Collins as well, she was RAF & a potty mouth to boot

Richard Briars also came into a pub we were drinking in, talked to loads of us but refused to comment on if shagged Felicity Kendal, he couldn't half put the ale away as well

And Edwin Collins used to live in a flat next to me and my mate, always said hello and other cursory greetings

Also spoke Effion Williams at a party and my sisters neighbours last Christmas

Also saw George from Men Behaving Badly and the Gadgie who played the Hulk, Lou something or another