Prem Star Backs Youth

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

real_darlo_85
Team Supported: Darlington

James Morrison

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Surprised if this has been missed and forgive me if it has already been mentioned on another thread, but James Morrison, current WBA and former Boro player born in Darlo has kindly got in touch with Maddo to help sponsor a couple of the youth team set-ups.

I think this is a fantastic gesture and great that a Darlo lad is helping out his home town club! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Re: James Morrison

Post by divas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:28 pm

What a fantastic gesture,didn't know of this but fair play to the lad,didn't come thru the clubs youth system so it makes it an even nicer gesture. Nice to see in a world where so many players have so much money bug forget where they come from

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Fantastic guy :clap:

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:30 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 898683.stm

If that is right, then it's a great gesture by Morrison.

Youth development is being hit hard at the moment - Mansfield have just scrapped their youth team due to lack of funds.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Maddo revealed this when he was on BBC Tees Sport earlier this evening, so if you want to hear the full details it'll be up on their website. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:42 pm

I've got to say - what an absolute top lad.

fanforlife

Post by fanforlife » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 pm

a lad who clearly hasn't forgotten his roots . restores your faith in footballkind. :thumbup:

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 pm

What a great lad, and don't forget he also launched Ronaldo into the Main Stand a few years ago.......top man! :)

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:31 pm

yep, a great gesture from morrison

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 pm

fanforlife wrote:a lad who clearly hasn't forgotten his roots . restores your faith in footballkind. :thumbup:
What an ironic post.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:45 pm

top lad, great gesture from him :clap:

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 pm

really decent of him! a really good gesture which some other footballers would do well to follow

divas

Prem Star Backs Youth

Post by divas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Darlington born Premiership star James Morrison has sponsored two of the clubs youth teams this season.

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/news.php?NewsID=322

saint crow
Team Supported: Darlington & Southampton

Re: Prem Star Backs Youth

Post by saint crow » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Couldn't agree more with what's been said. Nice gesture from a nice bloke.
We couldn't all be cowboys......some of us are clowns!

Ned_Flanders

Post by Ned_Flanders » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Just goes to show , that not all well paid footballers are cocks . Superb gesture by the lad , Thank you James . :clap:

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:52 pm

Ned_Flanders wrote:Just goes to show , that not all well paid footballers are cocks . Superb gesture by the lad , Thank you James . :clap:
divas wrote:What a fantastic gesture,didn't know of this but fair play to the lad,didn't come thru the clubs youth system so it makes it an even nicer gesture. Nice to see in a world where so many players have so much money bug forget where they come from
I've highlighted the comments that really annoy me.

This, all footballers are in it for the money & only care about themselves, type view.

Most footballers do far more charity/community work than any of us & donate a considerable amount of money too.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
Ned_Flanders wrote:Just goes to show , that not all well paid footballers are cocks . Superb gesture by the lad , Thank you James . :clap:
divas wrote:What a fantastic gesture,didn't know of this but fair play to the lad,didn't come thru the clubs youth system so it makes it an even nicer gesture. Nice to see in a world where so many players have so much money bug forget where they come from

This, all footballers are in it for the money & only care about themselves, type view.

Most footballers do far more charity/community work than any of us & donate a considerable amount of money too.
Excusing the typo - can you let me know examples of some players have gone back to their roots and supported the club/local community where they came through, im sure it'd have been made public knowledge so wont be too hard. Yes there will be a few but i bet its maybe 1 or 2% at most.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:17 pm

divas wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:

Excusing the typo - can you let me know examples of some players have gone back to their roots and supported the club/local community where they came through, im sure it'd have been made public knowledge so wont be too hard. Yes there will be a few but i bet its maybe 1 or 2% at most.
I'm not going to waste my time googling however off the top of my head you'd have players like Drogba, Desailly, Viera who have all made considerable contributions to the countries/places where they are originally from.

Even L2 footballers do it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher ... r_bri.html

My point was a more general one, relating to charity/community work, not specifically related to their local clubs/community.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
I'm not going to waste my time googling however off the top of my head you'd have players like Drogba, Desailly, Viera who have all made considerable contributions to the countries/places where they are originally from.

My point was a more general one, relating to charity/community work, not specifically related to their local clubs/community.
BUT my point WAS relating to local clubs/community

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:39 pm

divas wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:

So you agree with my more general point then?

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:43 pm

divas wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:

....and I remember suggesting that Robbie Blake might consider doing exactly this sort of thing a few months back. This fantastic gesture has come from not the most obvious source. :o

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
divas wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:

So you agree with my more general point then?
Yes i have seen high profile players, mainly foreign ones mind, use their wealth to help there people, like i say i wasnt disputin that, but there does seem very few players who you hear of doing what Morrison has done and put money back into lower league youth academy's. I'm not aware that any of Darlo's former graduates (altho we havent had that many that have gone onto a very good level) that have done this, so fair play to Morrison

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:08 pm

James Morrison, described in this thread as "a lad who clearly hasn't forgotten where he comes from".

Which is why he plays for Scotland :clap:
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

1Superlidds

Post by 1Superlidds » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:53 pm

Fantastic gesture, best of luck to him for the coming season
click on Facebook PIMM Productions for the latest on Darlo Till I Die

danny_88

Post by danny_88 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am

Brilliant gesture from the lad. good luck next season to him.
May 7th 2011-Wembley Stadium
Carlsberg FA Trophy Final
Darlington 1-0 Mansfield
CHAMPIONEES CHAMPIONEES OLE OLE OLE