'Home' Pre-Season Friendlies

Here lie questions that were posed to 1883 and have been answered. any further questions please visit www.darlington1883.co.uk

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MikeinBlack
Team Supported: Darlington

'Home' Pre-Season Friendlies

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:18 am

Are we going to have any? What happened to the games against Middlesbrough and Carlisle which were meant to be happening (wasn't it mentioned at the forum?). Without any home friendlies it has to be potential pre-season income lost hasn't it?
COME ON DARLO!

quakerste

Re: 'Home' Pre-Season Friendlies

Post by quakerste » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:45 am

Heard a whisper that we may be taking a percentage from the away games. I don't know if this is true though.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Given the number of home friendlies that Bishop have, I don't think it's a bad idea that our friendlies are away from home. We don't want the HP pitch tearing up before a ball is kicked in anger.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Hilly wrote:Given the number of home friendlies that Bishop have, I don't think it's a bad idea that our friendlies are away from home. We don't want the HP pitch tearing up before a ball is kicked in anger.
True but what we need is income and a couple against big teams could have got £10K per game maybe. Oh well, maybe next year - but we would need to arrange with Bishop quickly which days we can have without getting shafted for the less popular/available ones like.
COME ON DARLO!

Marketman

Post by Marketman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:02 am

MikeinBlack wrote:
Hilly wrote:Given the number of home friendlies that Bishop have, I don't think it's a bad idea that our friendlies are away from home. We don't want the HP pitch tearing up before a ball is kicked in anger.
True but what we need is income and a couple against big teams could have got £10K per game maybe. Oh well, maybe next year - but we would need to arrange with Bishop quickly which days we can have without getting shafted for the less popular/available ones like.
Spoke to one of their officials at the open day. Asked about friendlies and was told we had been offered, pretty much immediately after swapping from Shildon, three Home friendly dates. Two mid-weeks and one Saturday.
Very surprised we haven't taken at least one of these up. Even if we couldn't get big name opposition, at least it would have given our players better chance of getting a feel for the pitch and set-up before the season begins.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:37 am

Marketman wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote:
Spoke to one of their officials at the open day. Asked about friendlies and was told we had been offered, pretty much immediately after swapping from Shildon, three Home friendly dates. Two mid-weeks and one Saturday.
Very surprised we haven't taken at least one of these up. Even if we couldn't get big name opposition, at least it would have given our players better chance of getting a feel for the pitch and set-up before the season begins.
If this is true then I'm astounded (indeed, gob-smacked!) that we couldn't organise a match against somebody - I mean we're not exactly playing big opposition are we so even if we offered them 10% of profits maybe we'd be quids in - we'd likely get a decent turn out to see what we're like, and also how we do in front of our 'home' crowd.
COME ON DARLO!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:59 am

Flap, flap, flap...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Marketman wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote:

I find this highly unlikely after looking at the fixtures.

Also, after the work done on the pitch, I don't think it is ready to play on until late July.

Bishop have home fixtures on July 25th, July 28th, Aug 1st and Aug 4th. (We are at Durham on that date anyway).

That leaves Tuesday Aug 14th/15th as the only potential date for a home fixture!

In fact we only have 23rd/24th July or 31st July/1st Aug left for any fixtures at all.

BishopBorn
Team Supported: Bishop

Post by BishopBorn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
Marketman wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote:

I find this highly unlikely after looking at the fixtures.

Also, after the work done on the pitch, I don't think it is ready to play on until late July.

Bishop have home fixtures on July 25th, July 28th, Aug 1st and Aug 4th. (We are at Durham on that date anyway).

That leaves Tuesday Aug 14th/15th as the only potential date for a home fixture!

In fact we only have 23rd/24th July or 31st July/1st Aug left for any fixtures at all.

I guess I was the official.
Yes, Darlo were offered 3 dates... And they are still available, though looking at your fixtures you have now arranged away friendlies for the day before two of the dates. The other was Tues 31st July.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 am

Hilly wrote:Flap, flap, flap...

Why is is a 'flap'? Because I have asked if we are having any 'home' friendlies, which are always regarded as a major part of our pre-season income, this season? Is it because we have been offered three dates for such games and have subsequently arranged away games around two of them instead of utilising the potential income? Is it because the earlier promise of matches against Carlisle and Middlesbrough haven't materialised?

Just because I have a question/concern doesn't make it a flap (even if you obviously don't think pre-season income from friendlies is as important as I do). I think it is a very valid point which needs addressing, certainly for next season (in conjunction with Bishop of course, as this is the likeliest place we will be using as 'home' next season) as it is most likely too late for this season anyway.
COME ON DARLO!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 am

MikeinBlack wrote:

Why is is a 'flap'? Because I have asked if we are having any 'home' friendlies, which are always regarded as a major part of our pre-season income, this season? Is it because we have been offered three dates for such games and have subsequently arranged away games around two of them instead of utilising the potential income? Is it because the earlier promise of matches against Carlisle and Middlesbrough haven't materialised?

Just because I have a question/concern doesn't make it a flap (even if you obviously don't think pre-season income from friendlies is as important as I do). I think it is a very valid point which needs addressing, certainly for next season (in conjunction with Bishop of course, as this is the likeliest place we will be using as 'home' next season) as it is most likely too late for this season anyway.
It's a 'flap' because like usual you're making things sound like it's the end of the world when it quite clearly it isn't. Words like 'astounded' and 'gob-smacked' say it all...

Not only could a crowded pre-season on the one pitch be an issue, but let's not forget that we have no stewards / turnstile operators / food & drink staff yet...

We're effectively starting from scratch and I'd like to think that with the huge amounts of work that various people have on their plates at the minute, that arranging staff to cover these games is just going to be another worry that we can do without with quite frankly.

The most important thing at the present time is making sure we're prepared for the coming season (e.g. making sure everyone that wants a season ticket can get one, making sure that staff are in place etc...) and if that means playing our pre-season games away from home - I don't see the issue.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Hilly wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote:

It's a 'flap' because like usual you're making things sound like it's the end of the world when it quite clearly it isn't. Words like 'astounded' and 'gob-smacked' say it all...

Not only could a crowded pre-season on the one pitch be an issue, but let's not forget that we have no stewards / turnstile operators / food & drink staff yet...

We're effectively starting from scratch and I'd like to think that with the huge amounts of work that various people have on their plates at the minute, that arranging staff to cover these games is just going to be another worry that we can do without with quite frankly.

The most important thing at the present time is making sure we're prepared for the coming season (e.g. making sure everyone that wants a season ticket can get one, making sure that staff are in place etc...) and if that means playing our pre-season games away from home - I don't see the issue.
So why were we told that matches against Carlisle and Boro were organised when they clearly weren't? Surely the thought of £20K or so from a couple of games outweighs the above points,if they can't be done simultaneously, seeing as we are still £40k adrift of £200K and the fact that we are not the richest club in the league so getting our squad, as it is, to play together at 'home' is an advantage surely? And can't we approach Bishop and hire their staff if needed?

A difference of opinion, not a reason for abuse really. One thing is for sure though, next season we must be in a position to have equal rights on available pre-season match days as Bishop or we will never raise the money needed to get out of this place. Pre-season friendlies are the most money spinning thing we could do really - surely?
COME ON DARLO!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:17 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:
Hilly wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote:

So why were we told that matches against Carlisle and Boro were organised when they clearly weren't? Surely the thought of £20K or so from a couple of games outweighs the above points,if they can't be done simultaneously, seeing as we are still £40k adrift of £200K and the fact that we are not the richest club in the league so getting our squad, as it is, to play together at 'home' is an advantage surely? And can't we approach Bishop and hire their staff if needed?

A difference of opinion, not a reason for abuse really. One thing is for sure though, next season we must be in a position to have equal rights on available pre-season match days as Bishop or we will never raise the money needed to get out of this place. Pre-season friendlies are the most money spinning thing we could do really - surely?
I never read anything that said that matches against Carlisle and Boro were confirmed, I heard they were a possibility - but certainly not confirmed. Happy to be corrected though.

Secondly, any matchday income should be completely separate from that 200k target. That income is there to firstly make sure we break even and then secondly to ensure that the club can make plans to return to the town. The remaining 40K should be achievable over the next 3 years through CIC Memberships and various fundraisers without the need to dip into matchday income. Think of it like a student loan - we know it has to be paid off eventually, but rushing to make sure it's paid off sometimes isn't the best way to go about things.

Finally, you make it sound so easy that we can just approach Bishop and hire their staff. Not only will they be made up of predominantly committee members, whose main intentions is helping their own club first and foremost - but given the likelihood of larger attendances would almost certainly not be able to cope.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the board have done the right thing. Of course once a firm base has been created throughout this season we can look at holding pre-season fixtures next season, but we need to walk before we can run.

P.S. Abuse? What abuse?

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:23 pm

We have never been told that games with Carlisle and Middlesbrough had been arranged.

We were told that we were attempting to negotiate games with the usual suspects.

And negotiations began while we were going to be sharing with Shildon. This could easily mean different dates for home friendlies had been given.

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 pm

This is what was posted by AnthonyP:

We also have three available Saturday's at Bishop Auckland for home pre-season friendlies (I don't know the dates, but I would assume it will revolve around those not chosen by BA for their home friendlies) and these will be made up of friendlies against Bishop Auckland, Middlesbrough and Carlisle United. Dates and the order of the matches still to be confirmed.

The above information would appear to be correct at this moment in time and I am in no way responsible for any changes to the above.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Ash_Quaker wrote:This is what was posted by AnthonyP:

We also have three available Saturday's at Bishop Auckland for home pre-season friendlies (I don't know the dates, but I would assume it will revolve around those not chosen by BA for their home friendlies) and these will be made up of friendlies against Bishop Auckland, Middlesbrough and Carlisle United. Dates and the order of the matches still to be confirmed.

The above information would appear to be correct at this moment in time and I am in no way responsible for any changes to the above.

Interesting.

But the guy from Bishop states that only one Saturday was offered, the other two dates being midweek.

Have we lost the other two Saturdays, and is this a factor in not being able to arrange home friendlies?

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:52 am

Hilly,
very valid points, though I also saw no reason for the flap comment.

The only point I would question is the match income thing. Fully agree with league/cup match-day scenario, but in fact it has always been the truth of the matter that "smaller" clubs try to get at least 1 big name pre-season friendly for the income as stated by MiB, and part of this at least could have been used as a boost in the way he stated.
I do hope that even if only a behind closed doors game, that we do have the chance of a runout,(maybe with Bish),and even after the first match,but b4 our first "home" game so the lads are used to the ground.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Ron wrote:Hilly,
very valid points, though I also saw no reason for the flap comment.

The only point I would question is the match income thing. Fully agree with league/cup match-day scenario, but in fact it has always been the truth of the matter that "smaller" clubs try to get at least 1 big name pre-season friendly for the income as stated by MiB, and part of this at least could have been used as a boost in the way he stated.
I do hope that even if only a behind closed doors game, that we do have the chance of a runout,(maybe with Bish),and even after the first match,but b4 our first "home" game so the lads are used to the ground.
I've got nothing against Mike, but the majority of his posts tend lean towards the negative, with a sprinkling of 'the world is going to end!' thrown in, hence the 'flap' comments!

In reference to your other point, I'm not denying that pre-season friendlies are a good source of extra income, all I'm trying to say is that given our current circumstances we need to walk before we can run and when you take into account of all the additional work / potential harm to the HP pitch - it doesn't seem the right time to do it.

By all means, let's look at things next season when we've seen how well the pitch holds up to 2 teams playing on it, as well as having (hopefully) a stable volunteer rota in place. There's only so much small working parties can do in the short time frame between now and the start of the season.

Finally, in terms of the players 'getting used to the pitch' - although I can see the value, I'm sure the majority of them have played at HP once or twice before so it isn't the be all and end all.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Hilly wrote:Think of it like a student loan - we know it has to be paid off eventually
Sorry...couldn't resist - knowing it has to be paid off eventually is not like a student loan as they get written off after 25 years.

Home friendlies would be nice but I don't think we are in a position to hold them right now, we sound like we are struggling to get volunteer staffing together for a standard league match.

What would be good for next season given our links with the big 3 is if we could hold a mini tournament Sunderland, Boro, Newcastle (XIs obviously not first teams) and us in a 4 way 2 day tournament (2 semi-finals on a Saturday, final and 3rd place play-off on the Sunday - or if you do it on BH weekend then Saturday/Monday maybe?) - I went to something like this at the Riverside when I was younger which has Sporting Lisbon amongst others playing...all I remember was Andreas Anderson scoring for Newcastle.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:16 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Hilly wrote:Think of it like a student loan - we know it has to be paid off eventually
Sorry...couldn't resist - knowing it has to be paid off eventually is not like a student loan as they get written off after 25 years.
Do they? Cor blimey. Learn something new every day. Just thought they'd get written off when you die.

Only 19 years to go then!

craig_mckenna
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by craig_mckenna » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:05 pm

It is worth noting that we are getting a revenue share from all the pre-season friendlies

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Hilly wrote:Do they? Cor blimey. Learn something new every day. Just thought they'd get written off when you die.

Only 19 years to go then!
Pretty sure it's 25 years - this is one of the main arguments for the view that tuition fees were right to be raised - you don't pay back until you get a certain salary and gets wiped after a certain amount of time.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/studen ... oans-repay point number 3.

When they went upto 9k from 3k it wasn't cutting the governments spending by 6k per annum per student it was merely giving the governement the potential to claw back an extra 6k per annum per student from those that can afford it (given the criteria for repayment).

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:39 pm

craig_mckenna wrote:It is worth noting that we are getting a revenue share from all the pre-season friendlies

Craig, are you at liberty to divulge the percentage we will receive?

craig_mckenna
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by craig_mckenna » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
craig_mckenna wrote:It is worth noting that we are getting a revenue share from all the pre-season friendlies

In a word - "no"

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 pm

craig_mckenna wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:

In a word - "no"

OK, no problem!

Tori_Gill
Team Supported: DFC

Post by Tori_Gill » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:14 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:Are we going to have any? What happened to the games against Middlesbrough and Carlisle which were meant to be happening (wasn't it mentioned at the forum?). Without any home friendlies it has to be potential pre-season income lost hasn't it?
We are planning a friendly and we will confirm this once it has been finalised. They have been kept to a minimum due to the number of games the pitch can take. Our games, Bishop's games plus friendlies and the weather hasn't been too kind neither. I can assure you though that we are getting something out of the away friendlies though.
Let's be proud of what we have achieved, Darlington Football Club needs to survive so let's all be in this together because this is your club now and your club needs you.