Bradfud

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

fozzovmurton
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bradfud

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:But hasn't Cardiff been told on more than one occasion if they win an English Cup, UEFA would find a place for them.

If the FA are that unwilling to let Welsh teams represent England in Europe, then why let them play in the League in the first place

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Yes UEFA have said things similar to this. This is why I believe that The FA are on a collision course with UEFA!

The decision to play in an English league competition was Swansea's and Cardiff's.
And they made this decision fully aware of the consequences. So basically. they have no argument.
I know the choice is down to individual clubs, they probably had no other choice, the LoW is not really a viable alternative, I dont see the FAs problem with Welsh Teams qualifying, it would not exactly be unprecedented, a team from a country representing another country in Europe, Derry City play in the Republic of Ireland, not the North, although the circumstances for that are quite different I admit, but the precedent is there.

I just think the FA are just being arses about the whole thing

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:But hasn't Cardiff been told on more than one occasion if they win an English Cup, UEFA would find a place for them.

If the FA are that unwilling to let Welsh teams represent England in Europe, then why let them play in the League in the first place

Yes UEFA have said things similar to this. This is why I believe that The FA are on a collision course with UEFA!

The decision to play in an English league competition was Swansea's and Cardiff's.
And they made this decision fully aware of the consequences. So basically. they have no argument.
I know the choice is down to individual clubs, they probably had no other choice, the LoW is not really a viable alternative, I dont see the FAs problem with Welsh Teams qualifying, it would not exactly be unprecedented, a team from a country representing another country in Europe, Derry City play in the Republic of Ireland, not the North, although the circumstances for that are quite different I admit, but the precedent is there.

Yes, The FA are being arses about the whole thing!

How completely out of character of them.

Of course the FAW are equally at fault for not allowing those welsh teams that play in England to play in the welsh cup.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:

Of course the FAW are equally at fault for not allowing those welsh teams that play in England to play in the welsh cup.
The FAW actually wanted to give the Welsh clubs this opportunity, but UEFA ruled it out.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:

The FAW actually wanted to give the Welsh clubs this opportunity, but UEFA ruled it out.
Another set of wankers and arses, The FA, UEFA and FIFA are a bunch of clowns

442 Football Crazy Admin

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:24 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:
Spyman wrote:The FAW actually wanted to give the Welsh clubs this opportunity, but UEFA ruled it out.
Another set of wankers and arses, The FA, UEFA and FIFA are a bunch of clowns

I wouldn't blame UEFA on this one. They are happy for the Welsh sides to play in Europe, representing the league they are part of - that seems fair enough to me. If Swansea and Cardiff play in the English League, I don't see why they should be allowed to enter the Welsh Cup just to give themselves a better chance of playing in European competition. They can't have their cake and eat it.

While I'd prefer to see English clubs in the English League, and representing England in Europe, if the FA are letting Swansea et al be part of the English League then they should be offered the same rights as any English club.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Couldn't agree more Spyman, they all there history in the English System and should therefore be seen as an English Team in all but name and country.

Interestingly a few years the so called 6 'exile' clubs(Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Merthyr Tydfil, Newport County and Colwyn Bay) were offered a spot in the Welsh Cup, only Merthyr, Newport and Wrexham took up the chance, but they were told by UEFA that they would not be allowed to qualify for Europe from the Welsh Cup, which led the FAW to expel the Wrexham, Newport and Merthyr

442 Football Crazy Admin

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Can I go back to the view that if Bradford in the League Cup they won't be given a UEFA Cup spot? It would be an absolute disgrace to take that opportunity from them and can't see anybody in this country accepting that.

I somehow don't believe the claim we had the biggest catchment area in the FL either whoever said that the population of Bristol is 428,000 and neither Bristol club has been in the Premier League.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 pm

lo36789 wrote:Can I go back to the view that if Bradford in the League Cup they won't be given a UEFA Cup spot? It would be an absolute disgrace to take that opportunity from them and can't see anybody in this country accepting that.

I somehow don't believe the claim we had the biggest catchment area in the FL either whoever said that the population of Bristol is 428,000 and neither Bristol club has been in the Premier League.

Not the Premier League, but League Division 1 for City in the '80's. Which is the same level.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Irrespective I don't believe there was ever a time we were the team with the biggest 'catchment area' outside of the top flight. I don't even really know what catchment area refers to!

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm

lo36789 wrote:Irrespective I don't believe there was ever a time we were the team with the biggest 'catchment area' outside of the top flight. I don't even really know what catchment area refers to!

This time I agree with you.

I rather see Darlington as the catchment area for Newcastle, Sunderland & Middlesbrough.

And Leeds, Man Utd, Liverpool, etc....

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Irrespective I don't believe there was ever a time we were the team with the biggest 'catchment area' outside of the top flight. I don't even really know what catchment area refers to!

This time I agree with you.

I rather see Darlington as the catchment area for Newcastle, Sunderland & Middlesbrough.

And Leeds, Man Utd, Liverpool, etc....
I had read or heard it years ago, maybe I was wrong though, maybe I misread or misheard at the time, but I am sure I read or was told Darlingtons catchment area was massive, as there is no other football league clubs within something like a 10 mile radius of the town.

I apologise if I have got my facts wrong on that

442 Football Crazy Admin

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 am

fozzovmurton wrote:
I had read or heard it years ago, maybe I was wrong though, maybe I misread or misheard at the time, but I am sure I read or was told Darlingtons catchment area was massive, as there is no other football league clubs within something like a 10 mile radius of the town.

Did George Reynolds tell you that?

The South West has fuck all football clubs in a big chunk of land. Reading have been the most South-Westerly Premiership club for some time.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:16 am

Spyman wrote:The South West has fuck all football clubs in a big chunk of land. Reading have been the most South-Westerly Premiership club for some time.
I'll be honest first club that came to my head was Carlisle if catchment area is defined in terms of isolation!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:05 am

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:The South West has fuck all football clubs in a big chunk of land. Reading have been the most South-Westerly Premiership club for some time.
I'll be honest first club that came to my head was Carlisle if catchment area is defined in terms of isolation!
Mine would have been Hull.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:39 am

Spyman wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:

Did George Reynolds tell you that?

The South West has fuck all football clubs in a big chunk of land. Reading have been the most South-Westerly Premiership club for some time.
I might be quite gullible, but I wouldn't believe anything that man says
442 Football Crazy Admin

Paddock81

Bradford

Post by Paddock81 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Fair play like
The Quakers

Fibonacci0112358

Re: Bradford

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Yes, congratulations to Bradford City.

Dave_from_London

Post by Dave_from_London » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Agreed, fair play to them. I recon the Swans will beat Chelsea tomorrow as well.

Darlo.For.Life

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:28 pm

A victory for football.

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Deffinatley going down to Wembley to watch this one!
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Darlo.For.Life wrote:A victory for football.
Really?

It's a nice story and not something I ever thought I would see, still can't believe it and can't imagine what it would be like to be a Bradford fan right now.

But, when you actually look at it it's a league two side who for a number of years have been spending well beyond their means and I am not convinced that the buy out from the recent administration has changed this and suspect it's a very familiar spending money chasing promotion story.

I'm not convinced the Premier League sides they have beaten are the worst 'culprits' either they don't hit me as the teams living beyond means and feel like more genuine clubs than others. If it had been Chelsea, Man City or QPR they had overcome I may feel a little different!

Don't want to take too much away from Bradford because as I said it is an amazing thing to happen but feel that victory football is a little too cliché.

Darlo.For.Life

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Really?

It's a nice story and not something I ever thought I would see, still can't believe it and can't imagine what it would be like to be a Bradford fan right now.

But, when you actually look at it it's a league two side who for a number of years have been spending well beyond their means and I am not convinced that the buy out from the recent administration has changed this and suspect it's a very familiar spending money chasing promotion story.

I'm not convinced the Premier League sides they have beaten are the worst 'culprits' either they don't hit me as the teams living beyond means and feel like more genuine clubs than others. If it had been Chelsea, Man City or QPR they had overcome I may feel a little different!

Don't want to take too much away from Bradford because as I said it is an amazing thing to happen but feel that victory football is a little too cliché.
I understand what you mean but the whole concept of a league two team beating a premier league side which at the start of the competition, no one would ever of predicted.

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Brilliant to see them make it to the final! well done City :clap:
FORZA DARLO

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:53 pm

What's Chris Moore got to do with Bratfud?

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Darlo.For.Life wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Really?

I understand what you mean but the whole concept of a league two team beating a premier league side which at the start of the competition, no one would ever of predicted.
A league two side beating a PL team is no biggie - it happens every season, however beating 3 AND getting to a Wembley final - wow! And to think they were beaten 4-1 by Crewe last season.

They do seem to have a very good side mind, plenty of players who have had experience of playing much higher up obviously helped them out

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 pm

My first night match at Feethams was against Bradford in the mid 70s and it was in the league cup. Although they were probably other games, the only other game I can remember before that game was against Swansea....will be great to see those 2 meet in the final.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Remember we played them in the league cup second round in 2000 after we had beaten Championship Nottingham Forest in the first round. This was just after they went on their mad spending spree, buying Carbone, Petrescu, Hopkin and putting them all on £25,000 a week plus and committing millions to their stadium expansion plan that they didn't have the fans to fill every week. That mad three months of spending was what ultimately caused them to collapse financially and fall down to league 2.

Remember Dean Windass was playing that night for them as well, the Tin Shed was in fine form that night, he got absolutely hammered!

Went down to Valley Parade for the second leg, we got beat 7 - 2. Always remember us going mad when we scored our two for some reason.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Whoever wins between Swansea and Chelsea has essentially won the cup then. Good payday for Bradford though.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:My first night match at Feethams was against Bradford in the mid 70s and it was in the league cup. Although they were probably other games, the only other game I can remember before that game was against Swansea....will be great to see those 2 meet in the final.
I remember being there when we beat Swansea 6-0. :|

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:16 pm

This is a monumental underdog story. When was the last time a fourth tier side reached a major cup final? Has it actually ever happened before? Great stuff.