Premiership transfers - how they fared

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Premiership transfers - how they fared

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 am

Following a pretty packed transfer window, how will everyone shape up now? Who do people think have done well, and who has done not so well?

I think Chelsea are favourites for the title - Mourinho did some big business early. Costa looks like he'll prove me wrong if he continues how he has started, and Fabregas was a great signing. If Terry or Cahill gets injured they may be a little exposed at the back depending on how Zouma does, but they also have Ivanovic to cover the middle so perhaps not too weak. Costa/Remy look like an upgrade on Etoo/Torres.

Man City will be strong again obiosuly, although they seem to have had a quiet summer with relatively little movement. Negredo would seem a loss, I liked him last season, but they have plenty of other options.

I think Arsenal have strengthened well despite what their fans think. Debuchy is an straight replacement for Sagna, Wellbeck will improve their attacking options as will Sanchez. If they keep key players fit they'll be there or thereabouts again but a couple of key injuries, especially at the back, and they'll fall away.

I thought Liverpool would drop away without Saurez, but losing him seems to have galvanised them and Balotelli is a relative bargain at £16million - I think Rodgers will keep him in line much like he did with Saurez. They've strengthened the defence, which was a weakness last season, so based on the start they've made I think again they'll be pushing Chelsea and City.

Everton have reinforced what they had last season really by making Barry and Lukaku permanent signings - they're still a bit light at the back, Distin is getting no younger but Stones will probably step in over time.

Spurs will probably flatter to deceive again - Pochettino looks a good manager and has a llot of good players there but he needs to find consistency.

Man Utd are the most interesting to observe - they can have no excuses if they don't improve over the next few months with the money they've spent. Looking at the squad now, they've got enough strength to compete at least just ehind the top 2 or 3 sides. De Gea, Jones, Rojo, Evans,Valencia, Shaw, Blind, Carrick, Rooney, Van Persie and Falcao is a strong eleven no matter how you spin it. In time they'd probably look to bring in one more commanding central defender and replace Carrick as he gets older, but that team if fit and if it adapts to the system Van Gaal wants to play really should be capable of finishing top 4.

Interesting to see how things pan out over the next couple of months!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Re: Premiership transfers - how they fared

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 am

It is a strong top 5. Difficult to split most of them and as you say no excuses for Man U anymore. You can talk about time to gel, but those players need to be up there in May. I am not even sure the likes of Carrick are going to be getting in the team anymore.

I really don't know who will drop from the top 4. It seems easy to say Liverpool but Rodgers really does have them playing well. I hope Welbeck does well at Arsenal he is undoubtedly talented and a run in their team upfront should be good for him.

I can see there being some distance between the top 5 and the rest though. Everton have consolidated more than strengthened they have just secured permanent deals for last years loans. They lost Delafou as well who had some good games last year. Besic seems decent but given he injured Barkley it hasn't really helped them!

Not impressed by Spurs at all now. They really did mess up with that Bale money.

Elsewhere Hull look quite strong now. I expect them to be in the top 10 and pushing in the UEFA cup spots. Burnley have done next to nothing, I think they are doomed to relegation. QPR could go down as well I am not convinced by 'Arry's efforts.

Btw love the United fans on my fb. Previously all about City spending so much money, we nurture our players. I even remember earlier in the year something about it being shocking that the Charity Shield had no English players in starting XIs. Could Man U ever line up De Gea, Rafael, Rojo, Evans, Blind, Herrara, Di Maria, Mata, Januzaj, Van Persie, Falcao?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 am

I think Carrick will play once fit - Van Gaal commented that he was an important player as soon as he took over, so I think he's in his plans. Carrick, Herrera, Fletcher and Blind is not a bad 4 to choose from for the 2 deeper midfield spots.

Agree that Hull have bought well, and Southampton seem to have reinvested well with some strong players coming in - I think they'll do ok again. QPR will struggle - once again 'Arry has splashed a lot of money on the usual suspects and I can't see them staying up - although Ferdinand and Caulker should form a decent partnership (if Ferdinand can stay fit).

Chalobah is a good signing for Burnley, but that's about it.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:14 am

It'll be interesting to see how United line-up v QPR in their next game.

Out of Rooney, Falcao, Di Maria, RVP and Mata, you would say those last two are the most at risk of missing out.

Mata was always a peculiar signing. I think he was brought in more as a statement - to say United can and will spend big. But there's never really been a plan to use him effectively.

Unless someone comes up with a masterstroke of a system, they can't all be deployed. RVP's constant injury problems will see him miss quite a few games, which is one potential headache for Van Gaal removed. But with that brittle defence needs to seriously improve if they're to reach the Champions League.

Out of the other clubs, Chelsea look to have done the best business. Costa and Fabregas will improve them greatly. Man City have done okay too, but Chelsea edge it for me.

Arsenal have a good signing in Welbeck and I think they'll make the top 3 this season. I really hope Welbeck gets a good run of game, because he'll do well.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:55 am

Some interesting moves, aside from Falcao, I was very pleased to see Richards get a move out of City, I really really hope he can kick on. Whilst Wellbeck could make a fool of United. If he is given a run in the Arsenal team and I don't see why he won't (unless Sanchez insists on playing up top) then he really should get some goals over the coming months.

Without doubt Chelsea have been the biggest winners, some real quality brought in and a bit of deadwood let go and you could perhaps argue the same at City.

Liverpool, its hard to call, i suspect they will be there or there about.

Outside of the big clubs, then Southampton seem to have done well, shifted a lot out, many thought they would struggle but early signs seem to think they will be OK, whilst Hull have on paper made a few good signings. Swansea have quietly gone about there business, and lost a few of there more major names but seem to have replaced them well and Gylfi looks so at home in the valleys he will be a big player for them this year.

Despite all the money that has been spent, I still don't actually see it effecting the league too significantly.

1st / 2nd : Chelsea or City and I flip between these daily, however i think the Jose factor will come into it and I can't see them dropping silly points (say for example at home to Stoke). I do think City have a big eye on the Champions league which has not been kind to them at all.

3rd / 4th : Arsenal or Liverpool should hold on to these spots in which order im not sure.

5th - 7th : United, Everton or Spurs. I guess this spending spree should see United be more 5th and 7th but I still think they will finish here.

8th - 12th : Hull, Saints, Swansea, Stoke, Newcastle, West Ham.

13th - 20th : Villa, QPR, Leicester, WBA, Palace, Burnley. looking at relegation battle.

So a record spend for the premier league and has it had a real impact? Yes of course had Saints spent nothing then they would be down.

When you look at the net spend of clubs it makes for interesting reading.

United 122
Arsenal 46.4
Liverpool 35.7
Everton 32.8
Man City 32
West Ham 31
Newcastle 24.9
Hull 24.4
QPR 21
Palace 13.6
Leicester 10
Sunderland 9.5
Burnley 8
Villa 5.9
Swansea 1.3
Stoke 0.4
Spurs -6.5
Chelsea -0.8
Saints -30.7

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:22 am

Oh and elsewhere Pools sold Luke James for an undisclosed fee...The bunker is not a joyful place.

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:42 am

I'd agree that £helsea are probably favourites to win the title this season. Mourinho rarely (if ever) goes two years in a row without winning a league title and his signings reflect that.

I was slightly sceptical when he brought in Costa. OK, his goalscoring record was amazing last season, but I wasn't overly convinced that he could do that on a regular basis in England - he still hasn't but his start has been impressive.

United have taken a risk in allowing Welbeck and Hernandez to leave, and only bringing in Falcao. RVP is apparently ready for an operation so that leaves them with only two (albeit world class) forwards to choose from.

They still look weak at the back to me, more so in the central positions.
Northern League Champions 2013

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:02 pm

A lot of the talk has been about Man Utd's dodgy defence, but MK Dons aside, which can be discarded as the whole team was full of reserves, they've conceded 3 goals in 3 games and scored just 2.

So is their defence the problem? I watched the draw with Sunderland, and the end of the Burnley game, and they created very little.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement at the back - of course there is, and they don't have an established name back there - someone like Hummels for example, but Phil Jones almost always impresses me in central defence and I think Evans is decent once he has a run of games.

I think the belief is the Van Persie is going to have an operation which would lay him off for a couple of months, so Falcao would be a direct replacement - but if that wasn't the case, could Van Gaal take a gamble and convert Rooney into a midfielder? Maybe giving him the captains armband was a bit of mind games anda bit of a trade off? Sort of 'you wanted to be captain and you want to play upfront - which do you want more?'. As captain Rooney has to be seen to be a team player and be on the manager's side, so he can't sulk about playing in midfield.

He has all the attributes - works hard, can tackle, can pass, can score goals.

De Gea

Jones
Rojo
Blind

Valencia
Herrera
DiMaria
Rooney
Shaw

Falcao
Van Persie

Not a bad side if they adapt to the shape.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Spyman wrote:A lot of the talk has been about Man Utd's dodgy defence, but MK Dons aside, which can be discarded as the whole team was full of reserves, they've conceded 3 goals in 3 games and scored just 2.
Looking at it purely in those terms so early in the season is a little simplistic for me.

If you watch the matches, the defence was all over the place. They look nervous and confused.

I'd also disagree with discarding the MK Dons game, because it was part of the broader trend. It was an unsettled side, low on confidence, making poor errors and playing dreadful football.

There were also plenty of international playing, including the likes of Evans, Kagawa, Hernandez and Welbeck (3 of whom have since left).

I do agree on the lack of creativity however. And that really stems from it being a side low on confidence. They're playing slow, lethargic football. United sides in the past have been known for their quick attacking play.

Theoretically it's a strong squad, but Van Gaal has no idea who his strongest XI is or the best system to play them in. Until they find that, they won't settle down and win games. And until they start winning games, they won't regain their confidence.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Like I said, I'm not saying their defence is great - but what I was saying is that there seems to be a consensus in the media that they have lots of great attacking options - well these great attacking options have struggled to create much in 4 games now, so perhaps attacking reinforcements were as neccessary (if not more so) as defensive ones.

DC

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:59 am

Spyman wrote:Following a pretty packed transfer window, how will everyone shape up now? Who do people think have done well, and who has done not so well?

I think Chelsea are favourites for the title - Mourinho did some big business early. Costa looks like he'll prove me wrong if he continues how he has started, and Fabregas was a great signing. If Terry or Cahill gets injured they may be a little exposed at the back depending on how Zouma does, but they also have Ivanovic to cover the middle so perhaps not too weak. Costa/Remy look like an upgrade on Etoo/Torres.

Man City will be strong again obiosuly, although they seem to have had a quiet summer with relatively little movement. Negredo would seem a loss, I liked him last season, but they have plenty of other options.

I think Arsenal have strengthened well despite what their fans think. Debuchy is an straight replacement for Sagna, Wellbeck will improve their attacking options as will Sanchez. If they keep key players fit they'll be there or thereabouts again but a couple of key injuries, especially at the back, and they'll fall away.

I thought Liverpool would drop away without Saurez, but losing him seems to have galvanised them and Balotelli is a relative bargain at £16million - I think Rodgers will keep him in line much like he did with Saurez. They've strengthened the defence, which was a weakness last season, so based on the start they've made I think again they'll be pushing Chelsea and City.

Everton have reinforced what they had last season really by making Barry and Lukaku permanent signings - they're still a bit light at the back, Distin is getting no younger but Stones will probably step in over time.

Spurs will probably flatter to deceive again - Pochettino looks a good manager and has a llot of good players there but he needs to find consistency.

Man Utd are the most interesting to observe - they can have no excuses if they don't improve over the next few months with the money they've spent. Looking at the squad now, they've got enough strength to compete at least just ehind the top 2 or 3 sides. De Gea, Jones, Rojo, Evans,Valencia, Shaw, Blind, Carrick, Rooney, Van Persie and Falcao is a strong eleven no matter how you spin it. In time they'd probably look to bring in one more commanding central defender and replace Carrick as he gets older, but that team if fit and if it adapts to the system Van Gaal wants to play really should be capable of finishing top 4.

Interesting to see how things pan out over the next couple of months!
My prediction before the transfer window was Chelsea, Citeh, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manure, Everton/Spuds in 6th. The transfer window hasn't changed my opinion.

Chelsea look unbeatable unfortunately and I can't see past them. Citeh are an obvious 2nd. Arsenal 3rd only cos Liverpool have lost Suarez. Man U have obviously decided to score more than they let in, I don't like what they've done; panic stations tbh. Spuds will improve under Pochettino (a very good manage IMO), Everton will flatter to deceive but 6th is the best they can achieve.

Manure have simply bought what's available, paying over the odds. I don't like what they've done, to me they have lost the high ground on Citeh.
Chelsea have bought very well and will walk the league.
Citeh haven't done enough IMO but will finish 2nd.
Arsenal have bought well, Wellbeck suits their system and is an excellent buy. I can't believe Man U let him go! Anyone else noticed that Santi Cazorla looks off the pace.
Liverpool have bought well too but Suarez is a big miss.
Spuds don't gave a good enough squad, especially up front. Given time, Pochettino will turn then into a top four team.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:18 am

I was having a discussion last night about Man Utd's change of approach.

I don't think they had any option but to go the way of City and Chelsea and pay over the odds for big names. They managed to stay ahead of the pack by developing predominantly British players and buying one or two additions a year for a long time, but they did that with a steady stream of home grown players coming through and with Ferguson in charge, who lets be honest, was brilliant.

Meanwhile, fotball has changed and Man Utd haven't changed with it. Ferguson continued to get teams to overperform and they didn't need to change the way they did business to keep up with Chelsea and City. Then all of a sudden Ferguson is gone and it becomes blatantly obvious that Man Utd haven't spent enough in the last 3 or 4 years. They've now had to splash out silly money just to keep in touch.

I think your top 7 is probably about right. I think Liverpool may finish 3rd - they seem to have moved on well from Saurez already and there's more depth in the squad now - especially at the back. For Arsenal, a lot does depend on injuries and how Wellbeck fits in, as their squad is thinner.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:04 am

I hate it when people say Ferguson's teams "overperformed just because he was such a genius", as if he was working with a bunch of retarded monkeys.

Yes he was a brilliant manager but he usually also had excellent players to work with as well. Every top squad has "average" players in it so to suggest that Ferguson's teams were full of them is complete and utter bullshit. His squads often contained some of the best players in the world at that time and he had the managerial ability to make the most of it.

And Moyes's uninspired stint doesn't prove that Ferguson was working with nothing but average players either: all it proves is that Moyes had an uninspired stint.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:21 am

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you there - he had some excellent squads. But the way he went about building them doesn't really work in the modern game anymore.

All that said, look at the team that spanked Arsenal 8-2 3 years ago. I saw it the other day and it was something like this (I can't remember man for man):

De Gea

Smalling
Jones
Evans
Evra

Nani
Cleverley
Anderson
Young

Wellbeck
Rooney

Ok, Evra was probably at his peak 3 years ago and have both moved on, but that group isn't a million miles from the sort of line-up that was distinclty average last season and was getting slaughtered. They took apart one of the Premiership's top teams with Ferguson in charge. Equally it was a weak Arsenal side - but a similar group of Man Utd players struggled against Sunderland, Swansea and Burnley this season!

That midfield in particular - Nani won a player of the season award, Young looked effective, and Cleverley was one of the hottest prospects in the Premiership. Were they just well managed by Ferguson, or did they all peak at an unusually young age and it's just coincidence?

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Spyman wrote:But the way he went about building them doesn't really work in the modern game anymore.
Could you elaborate on this a bit more please?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:42 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:But the way he went about building them doesn't really work in the modern game anymore.
Sure.

Ferguson built his teams around a core of British talent with one or two additions a season to strengthen the squad. He never needed to make a radical overhaul of the squad because the strength was already there. Every 4 or 5 years he'd start blooding a new set of stars before phasing out some of the older lot.

Possibly because there isn't much British talent around now, he's not left a core of talent there. Other than Van Persie he didn't really bring in any top players to supplement what was there, say if you look back to their last Champions League winning squad.

Man City 3 or 4 years ago went out and bought a core to their team at great expense, much like Chelsea did a decade ago. Since then, City have added a couple of good players a year, as have Chelsea.

Man Utd are not in a position to do this because the core wasn't there. Possibly because the players Ferguson thought would become the core haven't stepped up, or possibly because it's no longer possible to build the core of your team around young players who develop together.

To keep up with Europe's top clubs, Man Utd need to buy in a core of established stars, because that is what their competitors do.

DC

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Sure.

Ferguson built his teams around a core of British talent with one or two additions a season to strengthen the squad. He never needed to make a radical overhaul of the squad because the strength was already there. Every 4 or 5 years he'd start blooding a new set of stars before phasing out some of the older lot.

Possibly because there isn't much British talent around now, he's not left a core of talent there. Other than Van Persie he didn't really bring in any top players to supplement what was there, say if you look back to their last Champions League winning squad.

Man City 3 or 4 years ago went out and bought a core to their team at great expense, much like Chelsea did a decade ago. Since then, City have added a couple of good players a year, as have Chelsea.

Man Utd are not in a position to do this because the core wasn't there. Possibly because the players Ferguson thought would become the core haven't stepped up, or possibly because it's no longer possible to build the core of your team around young players who develop together.

To keep up with Europe's top clubs, Man Utd need to buy in a core of established stars, because that is what their competitors do.
This
Northern League Champions 2013

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 am

Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Sure.

Good post, can't really argue with any of that!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:50 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Sure.

Good post, can't really argue with any of that!
Blimey! :o :shock:

DC