£10million per game

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

£10million per game

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:11 pm

The cost to televise a Premier League game now, and they have managed to pick up another game on a Friday night as well.

**Warning** - very simple maths coming up here.

> 7 live games per weekend gives £70million per weekend (Fri, Sat x2, Sun x3, Mon)
> £70million per weekend gives £3.5million per club per week
> £3.5million per week split between 25 registered players would be £140,000

A lot of money sloshing about up there!

Darlo_Pete

Re: £10million per game

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:10 am

It appears that BT got the better deal, as they have played a lot less per game, but they may not get so many of the so called big games. I also noticed that they'll will be live games on Friday evenings, which isn't very good for the fans of the away team. No doubt players will now be asking for even more money than the greedy sods are getting now.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:50 am

I noticed this on the BBC from one of the owners of FC United and liked the way it was put.

"Basically, what we've got with this deal is that one game is going to be costing the TV companies somewhere in the region of £7m or £8m or more.

"We are building a ground at the moment in north Manchester, funded by our supporters, who have sacrificed money to build a ground.

"Let's pull a game out of the air: Leicester versus Stoke is worth more than a community facility that's actually going to provide community activity and a football ground for our club.

"There's only one word for this deal, and it's obscene."

The occasional thought given to the fans would be nice. When you take into account Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday games I wonder what percentage of games you will get on a Saturday afternoon.

The Premier League is simply becoming (if not already) its own monster and if your happy to follow it then so be it, I just doubt the connection many fans feel when they see there team lift a cup from the sofa really relates to the feeling you get watching your team do it in person.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:42 am

the problem lies with the Premier League not Sky or BT, its a closed bidding auction, therefore sky and bt can only assume what each other are bidding.
its the supply and demand factor as well as the fear of loss factor that the greedy Richard Scudamore and the premier league put into the bidders, subtledly suggesting through various leaked sources for months before what sort of price will seal the deal for the broadcasters.
therefore Sky had to bid well over the odds than they wanted to to keep away the majority of the games from the clutches of BT.
Sky will produce a significant drop in profits due to the increase of this deal but are going to absorb it as it keeps up their profile of being the long running leader in broadcasting the premier league, i blame BT entering the market, if it wasnt for them then there wouldnt be the need to bid so high, although that cant be helped as it promotes competition and prevents a monopoly.
BT are skewing the price of the markets, look at the what happened to the champions league rights, SKY bid around £330M which was an increase on their previous deal but BT blew them out of the water with a totally irresponsible offer of around £900M which obviously couldnt be turned down, they did this knowing they were paying well over the odds so they could get one up on SKY, SKY were then told about the value of the bid so they could have the opportunity to revise their offer but didnt see the value in so the feeling from them was, "let BT have it, if they struggle financially because of it so be it"
BT are the problem in the bigger picture here

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:06 pm

One of the main problems is that the best players are going to demand even more money, as they know the clubs have more to give them. It's crazy what players are earning these days and now they are saying that a £1m per week player could soon be around the Premier League.

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:35 pm

More simple maths coming up:

If Sky have about 5 millions Sky Sports customers paying about £25 a month that's £1.5 billion revenue a year, or £4.5 billion over 3 years.

Not much of that left when they've just spunked £4.176 billion over the next 3 years on the PL!

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 am

it would appear so
however sky have 12m customers with a revenue of around £7.6B a year and a profit of around £1,3B after all taxes, that includes spending on the current TV deal.
but still, this will be reduced by the new deal

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Yep I think there was something the other day that it isn't just about the revenues from SkySports. As SkySports is an additional package the customers are likely to pick up further packages so will probably pays closer to £85pcm with their TV and Internet all in.

I think you may also be missing the commercial customers as well? I am sure speaking to the Hole in the Wall the other year to put on Sky Sports they were asking for over £1k per year.

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:40 pm

I know there was a lot of scratching around for figures on the number of other products Sky Sports domestic customers also hold but those sums are still massive and will mean cuts in other areas for years to come for Sky.

As for the commercial side, 45k customers do pay an awful lot of money but the pressure on pubs falling revenues will make for interesting decisions on the B2B side when trying to push prices up

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:44 pm

And I would reckon most commercial customers pay over 6 times the figure you suggest from The Hole in the Wall for what they get now.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:42 am

I wouldn't pay much more for football coverage and I am sure there are many people like me. So increasing the price won't definately bring in more revenue.