Michel Platini

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Michel Platini

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:36 am

Thoroughly underwhelmed that he's running for FIFA president, and seemingly is the clear favourite to win.

It was Sepp Blatter who brought him into the organisation initially and has been priming him all along to take over.

Platini backed Qatar's bid because Nicolas Sarkozy told him to, purely for trade reasons between France and Qatar.

Platini's also bloated the European Championships to a ridiculous 24 teams and completely screwed up the 2020 bidding process by backing Turkey outright, only for them to drop out, leaving no one else and forcing them to use cities across Europe, rather than a sole host.

And disappointingly, Greg Dyke has shown himself up to be the useless buffoon he is by backing Platini outright, calling him the "reform" candidate. In what way is Blatter's hand-picked heir a reformist?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Re: Michel Platini

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:35 am

Platini would be a backward step if he got appointed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Platini would be a backward step if he got appointed.
If Platini is a backwards step for FIFA then you are saying hypothetically that if UEFA replaced him with Sepp Blatter that would be a forward step for UEFA...you really don't half exaggerate sometimes. It worries me slightly that you are let loose on a polling station every 5 years.

Anyway, as dg rightly points out it is more of the same. The thing that just becomes more and more apparant is how much of a fool Greg Dyke is -first we backed the man who is in position due to his heritage and now we back a man that is basically heir apparant - it's absolutely embarrasing.

Chung Mong-joon would be my preference of those currently on the list. Seems to have quite a lot about him but he probably has some skeletons as will all of them. Outside of the current applicants Karl-Heinze Rummenigge, Hans-Joachim Watzke or David Gill all seem pretty decent at what they do - whether they could govern world football is an entirely different matter of course.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:58 pm

lo36789 wrote: Chung Mong-joon would be my preference of those currently on the list. Seems to have quite a lot about him but he probably has some skeletons as will all of them.
Chung Mong-Joon is a major shareholder in Hyundai. And Hyundai amazingly are a big sponsor of FIFA. I wouldn't say it was particularly wise to let someone with such a vested interest take charge of FIFA.

It's depressing that none of the candidates declared or linked with the role are actually that appealing.

Prince Ali - yep, because an inexperienced Jordanian royal is really the best person to take charge.

Or Liberian FA president Musa Bility - who's being sued by his own government for tax fraud, and is in charge of an association where a number of young Liberian players have been trafficked to Laos (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33595804).

The presidential election is just one issue. The bigger problem is the corruption culture at FIFA.

If a candidate came in and said they'd dismantle FIFA completely and rebuild its structure to make it more transparent and democratic, I'd want that candidate to win.

But it will never happen (turkeys voting for Xmas and all that). We'll get some more cosmetic changes, but the underlying problems will remain.

In all likelihood, we'll get stuck with Platini and while that is an improvement on Blatter (he could hardly be worse), it's not an inspiring choice.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Or Liberian FA president Musa Bility - who's being sued by his own government for tax fraud
I've not heard of Musa Bility, but I've heard of his brother Lia :)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:27 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Or Liberian FA president Musa Bility - who's being sued by his own government for tax fraud
I think "Liar" would be more appropriate.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:26 am

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I think "Liar" would be more appropriate.
So give Tony bLiar the job. :roll: