Jack Grealish

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ArmchairDiehard
Team Supported: Darlington

Jack Grealish

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Opts to play for England ahead of Ireland.

Decent player, but is he good enough to get into the team? I'm not sure.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

lo36789

Re: Jack Grealish

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:03 pm

Don't think that it needs to be answered now. He is only 20.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:34 am

I didn't know you had to be over twenty to play international football...
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:35 am

I didn't realise that you had to have your feat decided for you at 20 years old. You are talking about his ability in the present tense.

I think the more pertinent question with Grealish is, does he have the potential to be good enough to get into the England team?

That may have been your question but it sounds more finite regarding his ability right now. He is not good enough to get into the current England team. I reckon he will be playing in Qatar though.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:57 am

I was talking about the here and now. And at the moment I think he's a few places down the pecking order depending on if he plays left side or behind the striker.
Quakerz wrote:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:36 am

I think he has the potential to be an international player for the future, but not now.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:55 pm

He's got loads of potential. It's a sad state of affairs that that seems to constitute an England call up, but it is what it is. I'm glad he's chosen to represent England, as he could be very good. Alternatively, he could drift into averageness, but hopefully his work ethic matches his potential.

You do have to laugh at the Irish fans for getting all upset at his decision.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Has anyone checked the England squad lately? If that's what we've got to play with over the next 5 or so years it's going to be even more barren than the last 10.

I'm all for integrating players early, it's not done any of the other nations any harm, it's time to try and build a squad for the next 10 years.

Grealish is very raw but he has something that not a lot of footballers have left in England - he can genuinely dribble a football, reminds me of a young Gazza or Rooney the way he commits players and goes past them. Huge way to go but loads of potential, it's a shame he's not available for the meaningless qualifiers.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:14 pm

I think we've got a few decent players coming through to be honest. Stones, Shaw, and Sterling are all capable of being top players.
Quakerz wrote:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:52 am

There are decent players but they aren't what we had before.

Stones should be as good as Terry, Campbell, Ferdinand, Adams...but who is going to partner him? Gary Cahill?

We don't have any strikers coming through. Once Rooney retires I don't know what we are going to do.

Shaw is up there though. Probably has the potential like a Cole to be the best LB in the world.

Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Owen, Rooney

I don't think the players coming through are anything like the potential we had coming through in 1998/1999.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:48 am

lo36789 wrote:There are decent players but they aren't what we had before.

Stones should be as good as Terry, Campbell, Ferdinand, Adams...but who is going to partner him? Gary Cahill?

We don't have any strikers coming through. Once Rooney retires I don't know what we are going to do.

Shaw is up there though. Probably has the potential like a Cole to be the best LB in the world.

Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Owen, Rooney

I don't think the players coming through are anything like the potential we had coming through in 1998/1999.
And that group of players win what?

It isn't always about the individual talents, or having a set of like for like players. Sterling and Kane both have bags of potential as forwards. Barkley can have a midfield built around him, and Stones/Shaw form the basis of a potentially very strong defence.

And there are slightly older players who still have plenty of years ahead of them, and there will be other players who come through the system over the years.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:55 pm

That was kind of my point I will be honest. I do think there are some exciting players coming through including Grealish but I don't see them up with what we have had in the past.

The lack of a proper goalscorer is the bit that worries me most for the future. Just got to hope that there is a 14/15 year old out there now that can fill Rooney's boots in 4-6 years time.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:32 pm

lo36789 wrote:That was kind of my point I will be honest. I do think there are some exciting players coming through including Grealish but I don't see them up with what we have had in the past.

The lack of a proper goalscorer is the bit that worries me most for the future. Just got to hope that there is a 14/15 year old out there now that can fill Rooney's boots in 4-6 years time.
Yes, as individuals not as talented perhaps, but that doesn't mean they can't achieve more as a collective.

Walcott is another to keep in mind. He's 26 and if he continues to develop as a centre forward he could yet be a big player for England even if he hasn't made a huge impact to date.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Spot on - we've had plenty of good players over the last ten years but never really looked like a team.

We're starting to see signs of that under Hodgson.
Quakerz wrote: