Singh now killing the club

Threads covering important moments in Darlo's past, be they big games, big days or big events.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Big Tim » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 am

Thats how I feel now at this current moment. Yes he saved the club 2 years ago but now cause we've had a poor start to the season he's spat his dummy out and we are now starting to slowly crumble into oblivion. I understand that he is losing money every month, but surely he must of knew that when he first purchased the club, and it's his fault for spending money we don't have at the start at the season.If he's gunna walk, go now.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:32 am

Agreed. He knew what he was signing for when signing players contracts, his season ticket target was fucking stupid considering our fan base over the last few years

If he was going to do this then why sell season tickets in the first place?

divas

Re: Singh now killing the club

Post by divas » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:36 am

To be fair what he's actually doing by moving players on is trying to save the club. The more players we shed the more chance we have of limping to the end of the season. God only knows what we'll do if and when we get there though.

It's clear that the reason he's doing this is because we have no chance of promotion or a cup run so the season is effectively over. Ladak at Kettering does this sort of thing every year. Maybe Raj would have looked on things differently had we been challenging for promotion despite no movement off the field as revenue steams would potentially increase next year meaning less of a shortfall.

It's his money so he's entitled to do what he wants I guess altho that doesn't make it any easier for us ling suffering lot. I just wish he'd stop playing so many blame games.

Scuba74

Post by Scuba74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:07 am

Personally I don't think he is 'killing the club'
I think he is doing what the majority of people have been calling for in that he is trying bring the costs down to a more sustainable level. He will probably still walk away once he has done this but at least if anyone does step in, the outgoings will have been reduced such that it may be possible to get to the end of the season.
He could have done this at the beginning of the season, he could have done it at the beginning of last season and could have walked away but he took a punt with his own money, it hasn't worked so now he is doing this now.
By not immediately putting us into Administration he is in my opinion doing a positive thing in letting as many of the players as possible move on in order that they are not plunged into it wondering when they are next getting paid.
I would just hope he has done the same to the none playing staff in that I hope he has been honest with them and told them to start looking for other jobs.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14 am

I think he was always going to wind things down at the end of the season if we didn't get promoted, and most were well aware of this.

So this to me is a clear indication that he thinks promotion is out of the question and he may s well wind things down now, rather than delay the inevitable by another 6 months or half a million pounds.

I'd like to know what has changed so radically since a couple of weeks ago when he said play-offs were still achievable. Presumably the FA Cup exit was the last straw.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:35 am

The manner of defeat by Hinckley I imagine, given that his last comms with the council was some 5 weeks ago.

Not surprising really as many commented on here that if they'd been stumping up that type of money for a performance like that they'd be livid.

Ultimately the players being gash not helped by the management at times have transpired to end any chances we had of promotion prematurely and like you say Spyman, he'll be thinking what's the point in wasting another 500K to bobble along?

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 am

Id lock the gates and tear out the copper pipes now if I was Raj and I read some of the bullshit written by retards on here.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:56 am

Spyman wrote:I think he was always going to wind things down at the end of the season if we didn't get promoted, and most were well aware of this.

So this to me is a clear indication that he thinks promotion is out of the question and he may s well wind things down now, rather than delay the inevitable by another 6 months or half a million pounds.

I'd like to know what has changed so radically since a couple of weeks ago when he said play-offs were still achievable. Presumably the FA Cup exit was the last straw.
Definitely seems as though that Hinckley defeat brought things to ahead. Before then Raj and Fordy were actively looking for a manager and like you say he was still talking about the playoffs.

It may have been purely financial that we no longer had a chance of extra revenue via a cup run so he decided to wrap it in.

But I can't help but think he looked at the spineless shower that surrendered to yet another bunch of part-time van drivers that night and decided he'd just had enough.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 am

What about all those people that have coughed up for season tickets and a promise that he would carry on and to "be part of it". Paying £300 or so each. Less than half a season later he spits out his dummy and walks away? It's those of all fans that he's let down the most. Sick of hearing his whining now, If you want to walk just walk and leave us all to it.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:43 am

Scuba74 wrote:Personally I don't think he is 'killing the club'
I think he is doing what the majority of people have been calling for in that he is trying bring the costs down to a more sustainable level. He will probably still walk away once he has done this but at least if anyone does step in, the outgoings will have been reduced such that it may be possible to get to the end of the season.
He could have done this at the beginning of the season, he could have done it at the beginning of last season and could have walked away but he took a punt with his own money, it hasn't worked so now he is doing this now.
By not immediately putting us into Administration he is in my opinion doing a positive thing in letting as many of the players as possible move on in order that they are not plunged into it wondering when they are next getting paid.
I would just hope he has done the same to the none playing staff in that I hope he has been honest with them and told them to start looking for other jobs.
Thats roughly how I see it.

Talc

Post by Talc » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Not sure if he's killing the club but he's obviously reighing things in massively. One things for sure he's made some massive mistakes, the budget for players etc and as I said at the start of the season we appear to have done shite all promotion from Wembley. Nowt. I said I thought the players could take turns going to all the big shopping centres and workplaces around the area with the trophy, freebies and season ticket forms, also reduced admission prices to Orange and the other big employers in the area. We can't really reduce the season ticket price but we could have tried to improve the season ticket package with recripocal free days at Redcar races, Catterick, Durham cricket club etc.
Theres so much the club could have tried but sadly didn't. They would probably have failed but the crime is not even trying.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:31 pm

knoxy5000 wrote:What about all those people that have coughed up for season tickets and a promise that he would carry on and to "be part of it". Paying £300 or so each. Less than half a season later he spits out his dummy and walks away? It's those of all fans that he's let down the most. Sick of hearing his whining now, If you want to walk just walk and leave us all to it.
A fair point.

But is he letting them down, or ensuring they at least have a team to watch for the rest of the season. If he didn't cut the wage bill then there'd be a good chance of administration and no games at all.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:36 pm

I just hope and pray that Raj's intentions are to carry on at a much reduced financial level and to try and bring on board some other business men/women to gradually level things out and bring a bit of stability to the club for the rest of this season and into next. I do think we are capable of avoiding relegation as long as things are sorted off the pitch.
COME ON DARLO!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:02 pm

The cuts are to savage for the club to survive in its present form.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I think most of us realise that if we are going to survive as Darlington FC then it will most likely be as a part time club, at least for the short term. It doesn't, however, mean that we are certain to be relegated though.
COME ON DARLO!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:12 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:I think most of us realise that if we are going to survive as Darlington FC then it will most likely be as a part time club, at least for the short term. It doesn't, however, mean that we are certain to be relegated though.
No but all of these players leaving, makes it much more likely than before all this happened.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Divas to me calls it spot on.

By doing this Raj (hopefully) is saving the club as promotion income and cup income have been killed by by poor management and apathetic players.

As this pans out I reckon this is Raj giving it ( council/Scott Sizer/ land etc ) one last throw of the dice. He will walk at the end of the season if he can't find a light at the end of the tunnel.

Nothing will happen in two weeks so his deadline was more a wake up call to everyone. As in these problems will kill the club and it MUST be sorted NOW.

I buy 2 season tickets but my main concern is that the club stays alive. I'm not bothered about Taylor leaving, or Hatch or anyone else within reason. But I do get sick of Chairman blah blah. Stuff like " you have been misled before but things are different now, trust us" etc etc blah blah ............ I've heard it over and over again. Then Raj wonders why people don't commit to buy season tickets :roll: :roll:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

we_8_poolie

Post by we_8_poolie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:16 pm

How many players have we got left Peter ? We need 16 for match day ...we had 20 odd before and that was too many.

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:03 pm

He's just killed it.

feethams

Post by feethams » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:16 pm

Why does Raj need to bring costs down now though? Surely after we won at Wembley and he sat down with Cooper in the pre-season he should have known roughly what the 2011-12 season was going to hold for us, both income and out going wise?

After Wembley, i'm sure Singh said he was willing (and able) to support the club financially for the next season...

So now, 4 months in, he goes back on his word..???

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Quite.

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:37 pm

I am starting to think raj is using this situation to his own advantage too , ie buying the stadium and land if the council back down

mobi

Post by mobi » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:46 pm

feethams wrote:Why does Raj need to bring costs down now though? Surely after we won at Wembley and he sat down with Cooper in the pre-season he should have known roughly what the 2011-12 season was going to hold for us, both income and out going wise?

After Wembley, i'm sure Singh said he was willing (and able) to support the club financially for the next season...

So now, 4 months in, he goes back on his word..???
I think Raj saw this as a calculated risk. If he spent more than he could afford now, but we got promotion, then he'd get his money back. It's only because promotion now looks very unlikely that Singh has decided he doesn't want to take the risk anymore.

He made an investment, it didn't work, and now he's bailing out. It's convenient to blame to council, the players, Scott and Sizer or anyone else who comes into view, but the reality is that it appears Singh wasn't prepared to take the loss if his gamble failed.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:51 pm

sasha44 wrote:I am starting to think raj is using this situation to his own advantage too , ie buying the stadium and land if the council back down
No, I don't think so.

He's tired of pouring money in and wants out, but he wants out - which in turn would bust the club, smelling of roses. No blood on his hands. Not his fault. Did everything he could.

The reality is that it is costing him money and the reality is that he threw a massive, massive tantrum after Hinckley and the "please pay me up Mr Chairman" singing. He's took it literally. I think that night was the straw that broke the camels back, and he's just said fuck it.

This isn't a smokescreen, he's not pretending to want out so he gets his own way. We all know he won't get his own way, so does he. So now the excuse is there to quit.

I await to be proven wrong, but he decided that he was offski after Hinckley, and to be fair I don't really blame him.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Quakerz wrote:
sasha44 wrote:I am starting to think raj is using this situation to his own advantage too , ie buying the stadium and land if the council back down
No, I don't think so.

He's tired of pouring money in and wants out, but he wants out - which in turn would bust the club, smelling of roses. No blood on his hands. Not his fault. Did everything he could.

The reality is that it is costing him money and the reality is that he threw a massive, massive tantrum after Hinckley and the "please pay me up Mr Chairman" singing. He's took it literally. I think that night was the straw that broke the camels back, and he's just said fuck it.

This isn't a smokescreen, he's not pretending to want out so he gets his own way. We all know he won't get his own way, so does he. So now the excuse is there to quit.

I await to be proven wrong, but he decided that he was offski after Hinckley, and to be fair I don't really blame him.
I am inclined to agree with you Quakerz, to be honest I think he had decided to jack it in prior to the ridiculous 2000 season tickets threat in February but The FA Trophy campaign glossed over it. This is just another season, another ultimatum. It's a shame, but despite my gratitude for what he's done, i don't agree with any of the three ultimatums he has laid down, and it just looks to me like he's lining up some scapegoats for his leaving speech.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:27 pm

At the end of the day there are now very few straws left to clutch at.

This isn't a cost cutting exercise in a bid to save the club, as Quakerz has said he is tired of continuously pouring thousands of pounds of his own money into the club for nothing.

At least Singh has had the decency to give the players/staff an opportunity to get fixed up elsewhere rather than just dumping the club into administration like Houghton did.

It's very sad that it has turned out like this.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Im still not sure he will walk away if we stay up

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:34 pm

sasha44 wrote:Im still not sure he will walk away if we stay up
A two week ultimatum suggests he isn't going to hang around to find out anyway.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Raj Singh is entirely to blame for the latest crisis, DFC came out of administration with no debt and Raj`s only promises was to keep the club from ever going bust again by close control of our finances and not living beyond our means.
He started with a clean slate and we have lived like paupers no big wage players, no corporate hangers on, bars closed down, top price food and drink I mean we dont even have Sky sports. But we have accepted our cheapskate lifestyle as we did not want to go through admin again. Sing also knew how many season tickets were sold and got our money (and interest) early he could easily predict the average crowd to expect as we had experiences of the conference. Then add in the transfer fees from Burn and Smith and a pepercorn rent to use the arena of 10 grand a year how can we now be skint IF we are skint its all down to fanatical miss management by the present owner no one else is to blame, not the council not the fans not even George Reynolds its all down to MR Raj Singh.

polam lane

Post by polam lane » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm

ted_do wrote:Raj Singh is entirely to blame for the latest crisis, DFC came out of administration with no debt and Raj`s only promises was to keep the club from ever going bust again by close control of our finances and not living beyond our means.
He started with a clean slate and we have lived like paupers no big wage players, no corporate hangers on, bars closed down, top price food and drink I mean we dont even have Sky sports. But we have accepted our cheapskate lifestyle as we did not want to go through admin again. Sing also knew how many season tickets were sold and got our money (and interest) early he could easily predict the average crowd to expect as we had experiences of the conference. Then add in the transfer fees from Burn and Smith and a pepercorn rent to use the arena of 10 grand a year how can we now be skint IF we are skint its all down to fanatical miss management by the present owner no one else is to blame, not the council not the fans not even George Reynolds its all down to MR Raj Singh.
I have been wondering how long it would take for the penny to drop!