Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Threads covering important moments in Darlo's past, be they big games, big days or big events.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Keep The Faith
Team Supported: St Mirren

Re: Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Post by Keep The Faith » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:34 pm

St Mirren fan here, I found out about the fantastic OP from Pie and Bovril, Scotland's most popular football forum. You can see some of the responses here: http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index ... try5862626

I've seen my own club go through financial difficulties, although not on the same scale as Darlo, which forced us to leave our hallowed Love Street ground and move into a smaller stadium. Of course, Scottish football has also seen Clydebank, Airdrie and Gretna go to the wall. Let's hope that doesn't happen to Darlington too.

All the best for the game tomorrow, I hope your brilliant fans get the win they deserve tomorrow and that it won't be Darlo's last game. Do the club proud.

Kilmarnockfc
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Kilmarnockfc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Kilmarnock FC fan here.

Only 2 seasons ago we avoided losing on the last day to stay in the Scottish Premier League. It was a great feeling, it was our survival on the line, rather than relegation. I know from the killiefc.com forum, the Killie fans are all hoping you can experience the same feelings we did. I will be looking out for your result tomorrow, and wish you all the luck no matter the outcome. Keep singing and doing your club proud.
Last edited by Kilmarnockfc on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Keep The Faith wrote:St Mirren fan here, I found out about the fantastic OP from Pie and Bovril, Scotland's most popular football forum. You can see some of the responses here: http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index ... try5862626

I've seen my own club go through financial difficulties, although not on the same scale as Darlo, which forced us to leave our hallowed Love Street ground and move into a smaller stadium. Of course, Scottish football has also seen Clydebank, Airdrie and Gretna go to the wall. Let's hope that doesn't happen to Darlington too.

All the best for the game tomorrow, I hope your brilliant fans get the win they deserve tomorrow and that it won't be Darlo's last game. Do the club proud.
I had to smile at the comment from an Aberdeen fan on the pie and bovril forum

"Despite the fact we got Tommy Wright from Darlington I wish them all the best."

:lol:

Conster44

Post by Conster44 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:03 pm

just got a few comments from the marske site that i wanted to share, if you want to see the other comments the links someway in this thread.
seasidesam:
beautiful post made tears come from me eyes only wish i had a pay pal account so i could donate a tenner or two. Lets hope it gets a mention on Tees tonight and well done MK Darlo
burto223:
Mk darlo has made me proud to be from the north east , a good thing to talk about as we get hammered by the boro tonight
as the last quote said marske have got a cup match against the boro reserves tonight, so i will do the same and try to mention it a bit during the game, so others can come and view this post. Also anybody know what time the interview with raj is, hopefully i can catch it before kickoff

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:07 pm

On from 6-7 I think
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Conster44

Post by Conster44 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:11 pm

okay thanks, should be able to catch it all then

tonyb
Team Supported: Fleetwood Town

Post by tonyb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Fleetwood Town fan here, brought a lump to my throat, have been there twice in the last 26 years so know how you must be feeling, am sure i speak for all our fans in wishing you all the best in the next few weeks. :clap: :clap: :clap:

LFC4Life
Team Supported: Liverpool FC

Post by LFC4Life » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 pm

A brilliant post that captures the passion and feeling every true supporter around the world has for their club.

Cheers, much respect and all the best for this Saturday.

YNWA !

vinnie
Team Supported: Nakhon Ratchasima FC

Post by vinnie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Stamford AFC fan in Thailand here. Found out about the OP through Robbie Fowler on Twitter. All the best for the future.

Bognor Red
Team Supported: AFC Bournemouth

Post by Bognor Red » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Bournemouth fan here.

What a great op, shows what real fans feel about their clubs.

We've had our fair share of financial problems for more years than I care to remember and only in the last few months does it look like we've turned the corner so we all know how you must be feeling.

Don't give up, it's not over yet.

Best of luck for tomorrow and the future, sounds like the Barrow game is going to be one hell of an experience.

Lilywhite
Team Supported: Preston

Post by Lilywhite » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Preston fan here.

The OP is one of the finest I have read on any football forum and sums up what true passion for your club is. I wish you every success on Saturday and truly hope you will get a miracle from somewhere. Have attended a few Darlo games as it is close to wear I live. Will be cheering you on tomorrow. Don't give up. You've got a lot of support out there. Well done MKDarlo. You brought a tear to my eye!

precision1
Team Supported: huddersfield

Post by precision1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Huddersfield fan here. One of the best posts i have ever read, good luck to you all , you speak for football fans everywhere. Thanks for that.

AFCGooner
Team Supported: Arsenal

Post by AFCGooner » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Arsenal supporter here. I heard about how this Saturday might very well be your last game and I wanted to offer my sympathies, someone at the Online Gooner linked your OP's post (http://www.onlinegooner.com/phpbb2/view ... hp?t=33649) and I think that your OP is one of the best examples of a football fan you can find anywhere in the world. Spoken with true love and devition to their side whatever the situation is. I hope that whatever the outcome of your football club, that this Saturday will be an occaison for any Darlington fan to be proud of. :clap:

Sadly the situation at your side is an example of how money has far too much influence in todays game, supporters geeting fleeced and enduring stuff like this while the board and chairmen don't seem to pay any heed to what the people on the pitch and in the stands require. :( it's becoming more common and has no place today.

Whatever happens this Saturday, I hope that you guys manage to survive and something comes along to save your club. It's not over untill the final whistle, hopefully yours will be put off forever. I'll be sure to keep an eye on your game and offer my support tomorrow. 8-)
Last edited by AFCGooner on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andy HTFC
Team Supported: Halesowen Town

Post by Andy HTFC » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Halesowen Town fan here. A link on our site has been made also. We here at Halesowen know exactly what you are going through as well. A couple of bad owners (including one who then went on to help to finish off Chester!) almost did for us. We had plans in place to set up a new club run by the supporters when at the 11th hour Steve Lynch took on the club and saved us. Footballwise we are still years behind where we were, but we are just grateful to be here. I sincerely hope you have the same good fortune as us, and come out of this intact. Never give up hope, and if the fateful day does arrive, stick together and start again. Darlo will never die.

E-gle
Team Supported: Crystal Palace

Post by E-gle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Palace fan here.

Had a little cry after reading the OP and welled up a little after reading through the following pages.

Very best of luck tomorrow and for the future, and whatever happens your football club will never die as long as it has fans like the OPer. It may go to sleep for a little, should the worst happen, but it will rise again. Will be at work tomorrow afternoon but will look out for your result and I'm sure the team will do you proud.

SteelMarshian
Team Supported: Sheffield United

Post by SteelMarshian » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Sheffield United fan here.
The post has just been linked on our forum Bladesmad.

The OP is excellent.
It's the type of post that can only come from the heart of a true football supporter.

Us Blades have a soft spot for Darlo because of the year we won the league at Feethams in our Division 4 journey.

I'm sure I speak for most Blades when I say good luck at Barrow.
I think if you make it to another home game you could have fans of many different clubs especially from the North there.

The way your club has been run over the last 20 years is nothing short of criminal.

We all stand with you despite our club differences

PassNMove

Post by PassNMove » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Read the post and you are an inspiration and reminder to the rest of us. All the best from Denmark.

kiwififer

Post by kiwififer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Good luck, hope you get through this. I visited your old ground donkeys years ago, then got pissed up the town later that night, so happy memories of your town.

It could happen to any of us......

From an East Fife supporter.

cambridgefan
Team Supported: cambridge united

Post by cambridgefan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Cambridge United fan here in peace.
what a great opening post,all the best for tomorrow shame barrow is so far away otherwise i would have been there to chear u on,us Cambridge fan know what it like to be in this position as we came within an hour off going bust, all the best from every1 from the u's

Bakis
Team Supported: Kidderminster Harriers

Post by Bakis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:07 pm

What a superb OP, if that's the spirit you all have you'll come through eventually, even if it involves the equivalent of Newport at Moreton Town. Like so many we've been to the brink at Kiddy, all too recently, and know the feelings all too well but for the moment at least we're among the lucky ones.
Happy memories of Feethams and being one of the 11,600 at the first league game at the new place (where have they all gone?). Good luck at Barrow, a proper community club who've had their troubles too, and fervent hopes that it won't be the last game. See you at Aggborough in March.

Feethams forever

Post by Feethams forever » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Cheers Bakis, I already have it in my diary for a weekend away, to enjoy your wonderful pies and refreshments, and also visit friends in the Midlands on the way back.

Here's hoping and praying.

Thanks for your support, and kind words.

See you in March ??

moggles

Post by moggles » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:09 pm

We understand what you guys are going through!Thanks for the help you gave us let us return that compliment!!
An Argyle fan xx
C ome on Darlo we are all with you!! :)

mpaulo
Team Supported: newcastle

Post by mpaulo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Wow.

I am not a Darlington fan, but an NUFC supporter.

I read this post after after following a link from another forum I frequent, and registered just to post this reply.

To me, that is the biggest, most defining statement I have ever heard about being a football fan.

It sums up everything that supporting your team is about. Support means turning up in the rain, the snow, the wind, to cheer on your team, the players, the club, when they are winning, when they are losing, and even when all looks lost.

Support is not about following a team when they are riding high, they tend to flow along on their own self confidence then. Support is about being there when the players are down, the club is struggling, attendances are falling. Being there to lift the spirits of the players on the pitch, to try and inspire them to improve, and to show them you believe in them.

As someone already said, that needs to be published in all of the local papers. Its a rallying cry, a battle chant, up there with the speech from Braveheart if you ask me.

Well said, and f'*k me if it didnt bring a little tear to the corner of my eye.

SkyBlueView
Team Supported: Coventry City

Post by SkyBlueView » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Adding Coventry City to the list of clubs, whose supporters who feel for you at this time. We also have a large stadium that we can't fill and it's even more out of town than yours. I went to the new stadium once when Cov weren't playing but you lost 0-3. We may be in your position soon.

I've read the whole thread, and it should be compulsory reading for all persons in high positions governing our game.

Good luck at Barrow.

SkyBlueView

Jeek
Team Supported: Cowdenbeath

Post by Jeek » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:48 pm

Cowdenbeath fan here.

We were on the brink a couple of years back and are still by no means out of trouble, so we know exactly how much fun it is.
As football fans, and lower league ones especially we do feel the anguish.

I really do hope tomorrow isn't the end for you guys, but if it is, by god go down shouting and singing your hearts out!

Good luck and COME ON DARLO!!!!

Meadow
Team Supported: AFC Wimbledon

Post by Meadow » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:10 pm

I wasn't going to register and post originally, but in the end I felt I had to.

Your plight was flagged up on the Conference forum yesterday (where I'm chief mod) and I've been following events since. That OP by MKDarlo is absolutely heartbreaking and puts into words what many of us feel about our clubs but don't have to writing skills to produce.

Obviously I'm hoping that someone comes in and rescues your club, but can say that supporting AFC Wimbledon for the last 9+ years has been more fun as a football supporter than the previous umpteen. We and others started from nothing, you can too.

I sent a small donation last night and am happy for it to be used in whichever way you see fit.

Whiteswan
Team Supported: Swansea City

Post by Whiteswan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 pm

As a Swansea City supporter we know what its like to almost go out of existence, but we have also shown that you can rise from the ashes like the proverbial Phoenix. Keep the faith, maybe you could arrange a march and invite many of these supporters of other clubs to join you. When we were in dire straits we organised a march through Swansea, and the Orient supporters, who were playing us that day, joined us, we have never forgotten that. Keep believing!!

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:28 pm

Good luck sent from Farsley-Celtic as was.
Suffered a similar fate but luckily we had a decent Chairman and still play at the same ground.
Rising from the ashes.You will too.Maybe see you along the way.

scorp
Team Supported: Aldershot

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 pm

I'm an Aldershot fan [who once lived in Darlington and loved it. Truly]. A fine speech [OP]. Good luck for what the future holds. The size of your fan base will ensure that a Darlo FC will make it back to the conference and then the league, one day, if that is what has to happen. Aldershot showed it can be done. All the best...will be thinking of you.

Skirbeck Quarter
Team Supported: Boston Utd

Post by Skirbeck Quarter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 am

Boston Utd fan here.

Some happier memories for you;

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/seas89.html

All the best!