Weak Link

Threads that got the whole forum ROFLing

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerkid
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Weak Link

Post by quakerkid » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Can't fault him for effort and he's put 20+ this season but he has missed some sitters recently that a Moffett or Johnson wouldn't have missed. Might be worth giving Stevie a start. Think Grey might of been employing the it ain't broken so why change it tactic

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Mikedfc wrote:
BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:
Mikedfc wrote:I agree we have a good team. I'm stating Amuar does nothing for me. 21 goals is a decent return however with a 130 odd goals you would expect a striker to get at Least 30 od of these. He just doesn't do it for me. Prefer we keep Dowson (he grafts his heart out and earns his goals) and find an out and goal scorer to complemente him.
None of our strikers have hit 30 though, so your argument is flawed. That's the beauty of this team we aren't reliant on one player.

I seriously don't get this 'we need a goal scorer' bollocks, we have scored 130 odd goals as stated, the whole team are goal scorers and for me that's a much better place to be!
Why is it flawed? Lets be hounest we miss loads of chances and this only gets forgotten about due to the high volume of goals we score we win 3 nil when it should be 6 etc. Dowson is a good foil for an out and out goal scorer. As we move up the leagues (hopefuly) chances will have to be took. Amuar just doesn't do that for me. Two left feet at times.
Really? You really need me to explain why your argument is flawed? Ok before I start can I just say that of course I see areas in which we can continue to improve but personally wouldn't dream of doubting anybody's effort and commitment this season, I think the whole squad has been first class.

Ok you cite Dowson as your preferred striking option because in your words Purewal hasn't lived up to your expectations by failing to score at least 30 of our goals this season, but Dowson hasn't scored 30 this season either so does surely the same logic must apply to him? No of course it doesn't. Argument = Flawed!

All of our players offer different qualities, Amar has scored a lot of goals this season by being in the right place at the right time, a goal poacher if you will. The fact is that Dowson hasn't scored these because he isn't always fast enough to get into these positions. What Dowson brings though is a totally different set of qualities, hard work and commitment being at the fore.

If you don't rate Amar then fair enough that's your prerogative, but you can't use an argument that is doesn't stand up to shout about it.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:I'm not surprised at these comments on Purewal given I've heard them from a few people at games as well.

Personally I think they are completely wrong. For me Amar has been one of our most consistent performers this season, whether up front or on the wing, and a key part of our success. His hold up play is excellent, with good movement plus pace and strong in the air. When he hasn't played or been subbed its quickly obvious how much we miss him.

I'm delighted that Martin Gray has got him tied down to a two year deal and fully expect him to be a key player for us next season.
Totally agree Robbie. Yeah fair enough Amar has missed some sitters and he frustrates you sometimes, but he works his bollocks off every game for 90minutes, he's scored 21 this season, name me the last Darlo player you've seen do that.
You can understand why he's looking jaded at the moment because consistently he gives you his all, I'd love to know how many appearances he's made, he can't of missed many games at all. He's a dangerous player, he gives us an outlet up front with height and pace, without him we aren't the same team.

Whoever says get rid is an absolute plank!
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:14 pm

I had no expectations of Pawel having never seen him play before the same with Dowson. Having watched them both I prefer Dowson regardless of goals scored due to his superior movement and work rate. I would like to see Amars stats shots/goals he often gets in good positions and fluffs it/miss controls it. Spenny at home when he was clean through is a prime example of this. He just doesn't do it for me and would like to see him replaced next season

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Amar's first touch is poor. And he has no left foot. And hes missed some sitters recently. But when he isn't on the pitch we miss something. We dont function with that outlay ip front. Yes. He looks jaded but most of our front line do. The work he puts in and how he and dowson run the opposition defence creates the space for Johnson to come on and score. Add to that the goals he has scored and you've got an important player in our team

He has gone off the boil on the goals front but the goals are now coming from elsewhere. We don't rely on one player to score but week rely on our team to have different options of attack

He's not in contention for player of the season but he's so vital to our success

Amar, keep up the good work.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Terry Galbraith doesnt have a right foot but does that mean we drop him? Of course not because he brings something to the team no one else can. Same with Purewal, he is our only real threat in the air, we miss him when he's not in the team. I reckon even he would admit that he needs more goals but that is something he can work at.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:35 pm

loan_star wrote:Terry Galbraith doesnt have a right foot but does that mean we drop him? Of course not because he brings something to the team no one else can. Same with Purewal, he is our only real threat in the air, we miss him when he's not in the team. I reckon even he would admit that he needs more goals but that is something he can work at.
Agree Galbraith doesn't have a right foot but fuck me what a left foot that kids got.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Mikedfc wrote:I had no expectations of Pawel having never seen him play before the same with Dowson. Having watched them both I prefer Dowson regardless of goals scored due to his superior movement and work rate.
Utter drivel. Dowson and Purewal are two completely different players, so to attack Purewal for not having as good "movement" and "work rate" is a backwards argument.

Purewal works his backside off anyway, so your work rate comment is ridiculous.

Since he's moved up front, I don't think we've lost. So why would we change that? It'd be ludicrous to do so.

But why let facts get in the way of your flawed argument?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Not going to slag anyone off, but the goals have dried up from Amar and Dowson recently.

Both Fisher and Moffat would be excellent signings and improve our 11.
Both possibly available on a free too.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mikedfc wrote:I had no expectations of Pawel having never seen him play before the same with Dowson. Having watched them both I prefer Dowson regardless of goals scored due to his superior movement and work rate.
Utter drivel. Dowson and Purewal are two completely different players, so to attack Purewal for not having as good "movement" and "work rate" is a backwards argument.

Since he's moved up front, I don't think we've lost. So why would we change that? It'd be ludicrous to do so.

How is it drivel? Both our forwards are off form stats prove. I'm not a fan of Purewal his control is poor as is his finishing regardless of his 21 goals. How many times has he missed one on ones or miss controlled balls to his feet? Dowson for me is superior in work rate, finishing and movement. I would like to see Purewal replaced by maybe Moffit or Bryson next season

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:58 pm

To be honest, I cant believe a thread basically slagging off our top scorer has gone to two pages. :?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Brayson isn't half the player that Dows or Amar are. If you were at Bedlington you'd agree, he didn't look interested that day and is only after the money. Purewal won't be replaced as he's signed a 2yr deal

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:59 pm

loan_star wrote:To be honest, I cant believe a thread basically slagging off our top scorer has gone to two pages. :?
Darlo fans. Clueless. Yeah let's find negatives in part time players that have worked their backsides off in what's been one of our best ever seasons. Let MG decide :roll:

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:01 pm

loan_star wrote:To be honest, I cant believe a thread basically slagging off our top scorer has gone to two pages. :?
Me neither.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Mikedfc wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

How is it drivel? Both our forwards are off form stats prove. I'm not a fan of Purewal his control is poor as is his finishing regardless of his 21 goals. How many times has he missed one on ones or miss controlled balls to his feet? Dowson for me is superior in work rate, finishing and movement. I would like to see Purewal replaced by maybe Moffit or Bryson next season

Dowson and Purewal are different types of players. To accuse Purewal of having a poorer work-rate or movement than Dowson is unfair because that's not his style or what his game is built on.

I think you're being really unfair on Purewal by laying into him when he clearly he's not playing in his preferred position. He's playing up front to do a job for the team, as has been alluded to in this thread earlier.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 pm

I can't believe this thread has come up now. If you for some reason think a player isn't good enough, don't have a moan about him now. We've got 2 massive games coming up. We've just won a tough away match. We've won all but one match in 2013. Do some people just have to have a moan sometimes?!

Anyway, just trust in Gray to build a squad which is good enough to get us where we want to be - he's not done a bad job so far! And I fully expect Purewal to be a key player next season.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 pm

What is his I'd preferred position? Please do not say on the left wing after today! It may seem like I'm slagging him off. I admire his efforts but he just doesn't do it for me.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Mikedfc wrote:It may seem like I'm slagging him off.
That's because you are :roll:
Mikedfc wrote:What is his I'd preferred position? Please do not say on the left wing after today!
That comment shows how much of an idiot you are. You're not worth arguing with.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:25 pm

What did he do on the left today in the 1st half? How many crosses did he supply? How many times did he beat his man?

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Mikedfc wrote:What did he do on the left today in the 1st half? How many crosses did he supply? How many times did he beat his man?
Sounds like he's had a bad game today and is also out if form at the moment. If you got shot of a player every time he had a bad run of form you'd go through 60 players a season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Mikedfc wrote:What did he do on the left today in the 1st half? How many crosses did he supply? How many times did he beat his man?
I don't know, I wasn't there today (work commitments - the joy). But what I do know, from the many games I have seen this season, is that Purewal is a much better player than you are making out.

I base my opinion of Purewal on a whole season.

You are being selective and ignoring all the positive contributions he's had to the team, just so you can have a bit of a late night rant. But each to their own...

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Mikedfc = clueless. Fact!

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 pm

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:Mikedfc = clueless. Fact!
Can you answer my question? How many crosses did he put in from playing on the left wing and how many times did he beat his man today? As per the thread title he is our weak link, his 1st touch and ball control is very poor. I admit he has done a job but I'd replace him next season

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:46 pm

divas wrote:
Sounds like he's had a bad game today and is also out if form at the moment. If you got shot of a player every time he had a bad run of form you'd go through 60 players a season.
Didn't have a bad game at all divas, produced his normal consistent display and contributed to a solid team performance. I can see he is a bit short on confidence in front of goal but any criticism of his all round contribution is totally unmerited IMO.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Robbie I disagree. I was disappointed to see Dowson go off and Purewal stop on however Dowson may have been carrying a knock?

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:46 pm

The fact that this thread exists just depresses me.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Mikedfc wrote:
davidcurrieclass wrote:Team has played well all season but think one player who has deteriated is purewal, I just dont see what he offers his goals have dried up, his first touch is poor and he always seems to be then spending his time trying to get the ball under control
I agree I think he was very poor today. How he stopped on for 90 minutes is beyond me. Just never looked interested. Maybe he was tired? Noticed all the darlo playes had short sleeved shirts on he had one with a thirmal underneath. Just don't rate the lad not enougth effort for me.
You've got to be kidding! Never looked interested? You were obviously not interested enough to watch the match, as he put a full shift in. What the hell does him wearing a thermal have to do with anything anyway?

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:15 pm

From a negative point Purewal always looses possession and a bad first touch and sometimes I fell like punching him.
On the other hand he offers us a lot in the air and without out we run out of ideas.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:18 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:From a negative point Purewal always looses possession and a bad first touch and sometimes I fell like punching him.
On the other hand he offers us a lot in the air and without out we run out of ideas.
I 2nd that

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Without Amar we wouldn't be in the position we are in today .... end of ... ;) Some of the comments in this thread suggest that one or two of you out there don't fully understand football et all.

Amar has scored a hatful of goals because he consistantly puts himself in a position to do so and because of that, he is going to miss a few too - its the nature of the beast.

I look forward to him playing again next season in the Evostick North. Well done son and keep it up.

.... This thread is mis-timed and inappropriate. Fortunately, it has given the majority an opportunity to give praise where praise is due ... ;)