Telford V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Yarblockos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Telford V Darlington

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:45 pm

Reardless of long-term progress, if the team you manage loses 5-0 away to a side bottom of the league who haven't won since October, then that puts you on thin ice. I think AA has lost a lot of trust and will struggle to get it back unless we go on a long unbeaten run. The next defeat just compounds this awful result, so he definitely doesn't want to lose next week!

A team that applies itself and adopts high standards will still lose games, but a defeat like this makes the club look a bit of a joke. Maybe we are just an amateur team and shouldn't expect high standards, but I'm not surprised people are (over)reacting to this result, it the worst in a very long time and would probably have put paid to many better managers than AA.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:51 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:40 pm
& probably the best amongst the non-professional sides.
I mean I suppose if you ignore Brackley, Spennymoor and Boston, then possibly. I even think Gloucester were pretty well placed budget wise but they are doing terribly for it.

Clearly Gateshead, Kidderminster, AFC Fylde and York have their full time budgets.

So I think we are at least 9th overall in the budget stakes.

Where Southport, Chorley, Hereford and Chester are is anyone's guess.

Southport seemed to show an increase in called up share capital in 12 months to a value of about £1.3m thought I think that mostly went on the pitch revamp / clubhouse upgrades - their assets seem to shoot up as well. They do charge £5k per game from Everton for pitch hire for their u23s though.

Hereford and Chester have a higher average attendance than us so you would assume that translates to a potentially higher budget both were able to inherit grounds with minimal capital expense required.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:33 pm

Gramps,

5/6/7 on loan was done with some poetic licence and pent up frustration I agree. The likes of Beedon, Taylor, Hope, Mondal, Beauchamp, Sangyang ( who the heck is he by the way!) , Martin have all been part of his squad sent out on loan and a number of them were poor decisions or knee jerk reaction signings in my view. Not all, I get that youngsters need to get some experience.

As a club at our level though, surely we shouldn’t have to carry a squad of 25+ with so many out on loan.

Overall, my view is that I would love to see AA succeed as really like the guy but just remain unsure that he has the tactical nous to do it. The players he now has at his disposal are arguably the best he has had collectively but can he drill them into a solid, organised unit with a style of play to win matches consistently, not sure.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:38 pm

Beauchamp was on a non-contract wasn't he? He can't be on loan?

He was definitely a punt though but was a risk free one I think.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:46 pm

From AAs interview he sounds like he’s on the verge of deciding if his future is with Darlington, sounds very downbeat, understandably so.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:05 am

Alun ‘Not enjoying it’ and looks fed up in that interview. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him walk this week but who knows.

The same old bedwetters on the the Facebook page are calling for his head but I’ve noticed a number of fans who don’t wet the bed are now saying he should go. I’ve always been behind him and not wanting to knee jerk but that was arguably our worst result since we became fan owned. Only problem is if he did go who would we replace him with. Big week for Alun and the club.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:28 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:46 pm
From AAs interview he sounds like he’s on the verge of deciding if his future is with Darlington, sounds very downbeat, understandably so.
Yeah, I’ve just watched it - he looks bewildered and pissed off, which to me is concerning, and let’s not forget, the players share some responsibility for today’s performance.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:32 am

It is very much the interview of a man who has reached the end of the road. He has absolutely done his best and I am sure everyone wanted him to succeed, but unfortunately it has not worked out. He is a man of integrity, but it sounds like he knows his time is up.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:26 am

The next Fans Forum could be a very lively affair.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:26 am
If people are getting that level of feeling I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up costing us a CEO and a few board members to boot.

If people want to start throwing mud I wouldn't be surprised if those at the other side can't be bothered to have to evade it anymore, especially when it is in effect at a net loss financially to them all (they are all at the least members paying their fees).

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:01 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 am
[quote=jjljks post_id=481866 time=<a href="tel:1642919216">1642919216</a> user_id=17483]
If people are getting that level of feeling I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up costing us a CEO and a few board members to boot.

If people want to start throwing mud I wouldn't be surprised if those at the other side can't be bothered to have to evade it anymore, especially when it is in effect at a net loss financially to them all (they are all at the least members paying their fees).
[/quote]

Nope! Our CEO and board members are made of sterner stuff.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:08 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:33 pm
Gramps,

5/6/7 on loan was done with some poetic licence and pent up frustration I agree. The likes of Beedon, Taylor, Hope, Mondal, Beauchamp, Sangyang ( who the heck is he by the way!) , Martin have all been part of his squad sent out on loan and a number of them were poor decisions or knee jerk reaction signings in my view. Not all, I get that youngsters need to get some experience.

As a club at our level though, surely we shouldn’t have to carry a squad of 25+ with so many out on loan.

Overall, my view is that I would love to see AA succeed as really like the guy but just remain unsure that he has the tactical nous to do it. The players he now has at his disposal are arguably the best he has had collectively but can he drill them into a solid, organised unit with a style of play to win matches consistently, not sure.
The signings of Beeden, Taylor & Mondal haven’t been good enough, coupled with Nelson’s injury woes, they’ve been the disappointments for one reason or another.

However, you can’t dig out Martin, Hope, Sanyang & Beauchamp, who are either young players on low wages with decent potential (Martin & Hope), or fringe players on non-contract that incur no financial cost to the club if they aren’t in the 16 (Sanyang & Beauchamp).

I do feel a little sorry for Alun. He has had to contend with losing some of his best players every season (Sousa, Campbell, Charman, Donawa, O’Neill (1st season) etc).

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:20 am

I hope AA stays, there will always be frustration after a defeat (be it a heavy one) unfortunately there will always be people who go over the top in their criticism, that’s football I guess, there is no way AA or the board should feel the need to make decisions on the back of over the top comments.
I am absolutely convinced that DJ and his team are the best thing that has happened to our club in recent history.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:26 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:01 am
If that helps you justify any potential abuse thrown then so be it. I've seen claims of corrupt / taking money out / not football people already.

To the poster above who thought his £30 was better with his grandkids...I'd raise "my 25 hours a week of voluntary effort plus my thousands of £ of financial input are probably better spend with my family"

Careful what people wish for.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 am

Alun really looked down at his interview, cannot remember him being as low as this but the players really let him down big style yesterday.Now the dust has settled all this calling for his head has to stop, just look at the York result yesterday, a full time club, massive budget, and get hammered 4-0.This is the league we are in, crazy at times and I would hope Alun has the desire to continue and not decide to walk.Start planning for next season, we have 5 or 6 players you would pencil in to your team but equally have 5 or 6 you need to release.
Really feel it is time for cool heads atm, the last thing we need is for key people deciding enough is enough on the back of fans reactions to yesterday's result.As I mentioned, those players yesterday let the club down as well as Alun.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:45 am

Very well said. Whatever happens, it really is a time for measured thinking from the board, the fans and AA himself. Rash, reactive decisions in the heat of the moment is the very worst way forward for the club and could be extremely damaging.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:52 am

Full marks Tommy Taylor for sounding out the idiot who I believe shouted out racist remarks after the award of the penalty.
Security quickly removing the racist moron.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:40 am

This situation reminds me of something similar that happened to TW after a really poor performance and defeat at home by a team near the bottom of the league. There were calls from the crowd for him to go and DJ was verbally abused by a section of fans. We don’t want him or other volunteers to experience anything like that as they do an excellent job and we would be lost without them. I agree with with lo.just saying our board are made of stern stuff doesn’t excuse any abuse of them.
However, football fans the world over will criticise managers and players when they feel let down by them, and legitimate criticism is fair enough. This feels like a bit of a pivotal moment to me, the game when a lot of usually supportive fans said enough is enough. We will have to wait and see what happens, but I get the feeling that AA may have been fatally wounded by yesterday’s result.
Regardless of what happens, the volunteers who give up a lot of their time to run the club, should not be pilloried.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:13 am

Any criticism aimed at any of our volunteers would be completely unjustified. We know there is no magic benefactor who will give us a sack of cash with no strings attached, so having the volunteers we have is critical. Without them and their hard work we would not exist. People need to be very careful how they direct their frustration.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:13 am

Quakerlad wrote:Gramps,

Right, so you were exaggerating when you said he messed up with seven.

The only three we could say were poor signings would be Beeden, Mondal and Taylor.

Hope and Martin are young players with potential. They can’t come into the “bad signings” category. Beauchamp was risk-free, signed more as filler probably. An option in case we needed it but ultimately he was a Wearside League player. Sanyang similar.

It’s disappointing you feel the need to exaggerate, as you could have made your point without.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:16 am

Cool heads required in fresh light of new day.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:17 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:26 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:01 am
If that helps you justify any potential abuse thrown then so be it. I've seen claims of corrupt / taking money out / not football people already.

To the poster above who thought his £30 was better with his grandkids...I'd raise "my 25 hours a week of voluntary effort plus my thousands of £ of financial input are probably better spend with my family"

Careful what people wish for.
Just for the avoidance of any doubt, that’s not what I meant. I’m not “justifying” anything and for you to suggest that I am is unfair and 100% wrong :thumbdown:

I believe our board and CEO are decent, intelligent and diligent people and will stand far above the abuse that any numpties wish to throw at them because we’ve lost one football match. That’s what I was saying, it’s quite clearly written in support of our board.

Furthermore lo, I don’t look at any Darlo Facebook pages or similar and have no interest in doing so, so don’t in any way lump me in with these people.

I am in support of AA. It seems clear to me that everything went wrong yesterday, in the same way that everything went right in the other extreme result recently, away at Farsley.

Alun needs to have a think about why these things are happening, and I’m sure he will, but to me he is more attuned to a fan owned club’s needs than Gray, and a more capable manager than Wright.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:23 am

Cool heads required in fresh light of new day.yes it was a disaster yes the players didn't do the jobs they are required to. But be realistic we are in the NLN these days happen to all clubs right through the football pyramid. Let's not lose our heads .another game next week at home to put things right. It happened get over it. SUPPORT YOUR CLUB YOU HELPED SAVE IT DON'T LET ANGRY EMOTIONS STOP YOU FROM SUPPORTING IT. IT'S YOUR CLUB.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:44 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:17 am
I believe our board and CEO are decent, intelligent and diligent people and will stand far above the abuse that any numpties wish to throw at them because we’ve lost one football match. That’s what I was saying, it’s quite clearly written in support of our board.
Not putting you in with those people don't worry.

It just comes across to dismiss on basis they are made of sterner stuff. That wouldn't make it ok and personally think it incorrectly correlates any response with a question of character.

What is the opposite of being made of sterner stuff?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:59 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:44 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:17 am
Not putting you in with those people don't worry.

It just comes across to dismiss on basis they are made of sterner stuff. That wouldn't make it ok and personally think it incorrectly correlates any response with a question of character.

What is the opposite of being made of sterner stuff?
I think you’re writing nonsense tbh. I mean, what are you on about? My original post was quite clearly in support of the board - for some reason you wished to make out that it wasn’t.

What is the opposite of being made of sterner stuff? I don’t know, is this a riddle?

Are you suggesting that if anyone writes something complimentary about anyone else then their main word (in this case “sterner”) has to be flipped over and we all have to ask ourselves what the opposite of this word is?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:08 pm

I'm saying you are basically dismissing the idea that there is a risk if people hurl abuse at the board they could think it's not worth it on the basis that they are made of sterner stuff. It suggests that if they did end up saying "not for me, not worth it" that would somehow be weakness.

It just didn't come across that you meant "I don't think a few idiots will put the board off, as I am sure they will be called out for what they are, put in their place by other attendees and the board will be supported by the many others who appreciate what they put in."

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:27 pm

That's your interpretation of it. Fat cat has explained what he actually meant, so why are you still defending your misinterpretation?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:30 pm

Coz he said he didn't understand what I was getting at...

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:31 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:08 pm
I'm saying you are basically dismissing the idea that there is a risk if people hurl abuse at the board they could think it's not worth it on the basis that they are made of sterner stuff. It suggests that if they did end up saying "not for me, not worth it" that would somehow be weakness.

It just didn't come across that you meant "I don't think a few idiots will put the board off, as I am sure they will be called out for what they are, put in their place by other attendees and the board will be supported by the many others who appreciate what they put in."
I didn’t dismiss anything. You’ve overthought this and misunderstood me.

If I go to the lengths of thinking that you’ve gone too I could suggest that your post implies that the board and CEO are the type of people who are weak willed and could walk away from something just because a few numpties are crying over a lost football match. Personally I don’t think D.J. is this sort of person, and I could suggest that your post implies that he is! NOT THAT I AM IMPLYING THIS - as I don’t believe you think this, I’m just trying to illustrate that you overthought my original post and read it as if I am condoning incoming board abuse, when I am most definitely not.

I am of the same opinion as you…….
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:31 pm
If I go to the lengths of thinking that you’ve gone too I could suggest that your post implies that the board and CEO are the type of people who are weak willed and could walk away from something just because a few numpties are crying over a lost football match. Personally I don’t think D.J. is this sort of person, and I could suggest that your post implies that he is!
Well no and that is exactly the point. As I said quite explicitly they may simply question "it is worth it".

No connection to mental strength or otherwise. Just a can I spend my free time better.

But if it helps...happy that I just picked up on the words and read it a certain way. You weren't simply saying it wasn't an issue as the board are mentally strong.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.