Fans Forum

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quaker4life
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fans Forum

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:29 pm

After the whole debacle last "season" between the National League and the DCMS after both parties failed to differentiate over grants and loans I'd take anyone over Oliver Dowden.

The fact she has showed her face already sets her apart from him.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:33 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:24 pm
loan_star wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 pm
Geordie Quaker wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:53 pm
I would have (genuinely) felt the same way if we had pimped ourselves out to Chapman when Darlo was red.
But we did! Please help us save our club Jenny. Please help us get back to Darlo Jenny.
I didn’t see anyone complain about her involvement as it was for the benefit of the club.
However if a Tory does it the left wing bedwetters have a fit. :roll:
Apparently Jenny was very helpful but she didn’t spend 24hours on Facebook and Twitter telling us what she had done that day.!!
One tweet :roll:

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:34 pm

If the opportunity came up to meet with the Minister in charge of sport at any time I’d hope that we would grab it with both hands irrespective of who the party in charge was.

I hope we were able to get over our message about football governance, fan ownership and the specific need we have for local government support with planning and funding a new ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:34 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 pm
loan_star wrote:
Geordie Quaker wrote:
I would have (genuinely) felt the same way if we had pimped ourselves out to Chapman when Darlo was red.
But we did! Please help us save our club Jenny. Please help us get back to Darlo Jenny.
I didn’t see anyone complain about her involvement as it was for the benefit of the club.
You don’t have to be a left wing bedwetter to not agree with it
Totally agree.

The club regularly requests donations for food banks.

Food bank usage is at a record high under a Tory government.

The club have now presented two Tory MPs with a signed shirt, the same Tory MPs who represent a government where, under their stewardship, food bank usage has never been higher.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:36 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Geordie Quaker wrote:
Ok you are just a bed wetter then ;)

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:39 pm

:thumbup:
loan_star wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:36 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Geordie Quaker wrote:
Ok you are just a bed wetter then ;)

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:43 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:34 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Geordie Quaker wrote:
Totally agree.

The club have now presented two Tory MPs with a signed shirt, the same Tory MPs who represent a government where, under their stewardship, food bank usage has never been higher.
Under Labour's stewardship, we'd have been stuck in a never ending cycle of restrictions choose your poison.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps

Fans Forum

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:52 pm

Darlobill wrote:Sometimes Gramps you have to make a stand IMO this will back fire until the Sue Grey & Met Police enquiry is published.
No it won’t. The Sue Gray report will have zero impact on Darlington FC.

Can’t believe I had to type that sentence.

Oh, and sounding off on social media isn’t taking a stand. Go set fire to yourself outside Blackwell Meadows. That would REALLY be taking a stand.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Fans Forum

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:56 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
JasonDeVos wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Geordie Quaker wrote:
Totally agree.

You can use that twisted logic to make any sort of case against any politician.

Jenny Chapman was involved in negotiations to help save the club. She’s from the Labour Party which took us to war in Iraq. Therefore why did we negotiate with a warmongering Labour MP.

This is nothing to do with political affiliation. We’re speaking to the minister responsible for the policy area we fall under. That’s all there is to it.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:03 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:52 pm
Darlobill wrote:Sometimes Gramps you have to make a stand IMO this will back fire until the Sue Grey & Met Police enquiry is published.

Oh, and sounding off on social media isn’t taking a stand. Go set fire to yourself outside Blackwell Meadows. That would REALLY be taking a stand.
Gramps you are completely correct.
Can’t believe I typed that sentence!

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:13 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:03 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

Gramps is not correct he never changes his view even when given the correct information which we haven’t got yet?
I despair I’m even writing this so signing off

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:16 pm

I don't get the issue with the shirt. An MP (or other famous person) visits your club, you give them a signed shirt.

There's that Sheff Wed one Roy Hattersley reckons still fits and the 96-97 Aldershot away kit Virginia Bottomley's got stuffed down the back of her futon. It's just standard.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:56 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
JasonDeVos wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Geordie Quaker wrote:
Totally agree.

Jenny Chapman was involved in negotiations to help save the club. She’s from the Labour Party which took us to war in Iraq. Therefore why did we negotiate with a warmongering Labour MP.

This is nothing to do with political affiliation. We’re speaking to the minister responsible for the policy area we fall under. That’s all there is to it.
Sorry, I can’t see the parallels between DFC and the Iraq war.

I can, however, see the parallels between the club asking for food bank donations, high levels of food bank usage, high levels of deprivation in some areas of Darlington, cuts to Universal Credit, child poverty etc.

More than 25% of children in Darlington are living in poverty. Check Peter & Nadine’s voting history on universal credit cuts and school meals; the photoshoots look fantastic.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:34 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:24 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
JasonDeVos wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Totally agree.

I can, however, see the parallels between the club asking for food bank donations, high levels of food bank usage, high levels of deprivation in some areas of Darlington, cuts to Universal Credit, child poverty etc.

More than 25% of children in Darlington are living in poverty. Check Peter & Nadine’s voting history on universal credit cuts and school meals; the photoshoots look fantastic.
Believe it or not but some areas of darlo have been dumps for many years, even when labour were in power.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:13 pm
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Gramps is not correct he never changes his view even when given the correct information which we haven’t got yet?
The correct information? So people can only have opinions that you believe are correct?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:41 pm

I just hope Armstrong doesn't see her as a long term replacement for Charman as our number 9.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:43 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
JasonDeVos wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Totally agree.

Double post
Last edited by MB86DFC on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:44 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:43 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
JasonDeVos wrote:

Totally agree.

Darlington FC hosted armed forces day. Jenny Chapman represented a party in government which took us into a catastrophic war. By your logic it was totally immoral to entertain Jenny Chapman.

You can twist these things anyway you want if you try hard enough to be offended.

Is child poverty s***, absolutely. Are we endorsing it by hosting a short meeting with a minister? Absolutely not.

Darlogramps

Fans Forum

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:28 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

So your argument is that by speaking to the Secretary of State for sport, we’re endorsing starving children. I mean, that is incredibly twisted and bizarre logic.

Get a grip fella.

P.S. the voting records are irrelevant because they don’t take into account the arguments behind it. A lot of these HowTheyVoted sites are ridiculously simplistic as they don’t look at why a vote happened (usually they’re voting against meaningless, symbolic motions, or things that are out of procedure).

It is doesn’t mean the MP wants to starve children.

If you disagree with how your MP has voted, why not question them about it? Bet you haven’t though. Too much like effort.

Trouble is, too many political “activists” (or keyboard warriors) would rather retweet pointscoring memes that get them “likes” rather than genuinely engage in good faith with someone they disagree with.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Maybe try taking some English lessons while you’re away as your reply doesn’t make any sense.

Meanwhile, when the Sue Gray report comes out next week, I’ll be sure to scour it for references to Darlington FC.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:41 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:28 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

So your argument is that by speaking to the Secretary of State for sport, we’re endorsing starving children. I mean, that is incredibly twisted and bizarre logic.

Get a grip fella.

P.S. the voting records are irrelevant because they don’t take into account the arguments behind it. A lot of these HowTheyVoted sites are ridiculously simplistic as they don’t look at why a vote happened (usually they’re voting against meaningless, symbolic motions, or things that are out of procedure and would get kicked out by the Speaker before getting to the floor of the Commons.

If you disagree with how your MP has voted, why not question them about it? Trouble is, too many political “activists” (or keyboard warriors) would rather retweet pointscoring memes that get them “likes” rather than genuinely engage with someone they disagree with.

It’s part of the reason we end up having to choose between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, our political parties are only interested in populists who say what they want to hear, rather than serious politicians who actually want to change things. It’s why we end up with vacuous slogans like: “Get Brexit Done” or “For the many, not the few”. They’re nice to chant but hardly lead to meaningful change.
“Get a grip fella” :roll:

I didn’t say that we are endorsing starving children. You know that isn’t what I was saying, but thank you for trying to sensationalise my point of view on it, which is actually a lot more modest than the way you’re trying to portray it.

Clearly some people are disappointed with it, and that is fine. I can see why, especially for the reasons which I’ve highlighted above.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:44 pm

You have to laugh when the most fragile and easily offended users of this board are calling others ‘snowflakes’ :lol:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:37 am

Never argue over politics or religion.
A hard and fast rule in our circles.
This isn't the place for it either.

D J knows what he is doing their is why he is C E O.

Darlogramps

Fans Forum

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:48 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:28 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

Get a grip fella.

P.S. the voting records are irrelevant because they don’t take into account the arguments behind it. A lot of these HowTheyVoted sites are ridiculously simplistic as they don’t look at why a vote happened (usually they’re voting against meaningless, symbolic motions, or things that are out of procedure and would get kicked out by the Speaker before getting to the floor of the Commons.

If you disagree with how your MP has voted, why not question them about it? Trouble is, too many political “activists” (or keyboard warriors) would rather retweet pointscoring memes that get them “likes” rather than genuinely engage with someone they disagree with.

It’s part of the reason we end up having to choose between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, our political parties are only interested in populists who say what they want to hear, rather than serious politicians who actually want to change things. It’s why we end up with vacuous slogans like: “Get Brexit Done” or “For the many, not the few”. They’re nice to chant but hardly lead to meaningful change.
“Get a grip fella” :roll:

I didn’t say that we are endorsing starving children. You know that isn’t what I was saying, but thank you for trying to sensationalise my point of view on it, which is actually a lot more modest than the way you’re trying to portray it.

Clearly some people are disappointed with it, and that is fine. I can see why, especially for the reasons which I’ve highlighted above.
You were the one who linked the photoshoots with Nadine Dorries and Peter Gibson’s voting records. Now you’re backtracking claiming your point is “more modest”. When you linked the photoshoots with the voting records, what was your point?

Ultimately, this is nothing to do with universal credit cuts or child poverty or the other things you’ve ludicrously brought into it. I also note you’ve dodged the point I made about voting records being oversimplistic.

Put simply, you don’t like the politics of Dorries, Gibson and the Conservatives. You’re entitled to. I don’t either. What you’re not entitled to do is project your dislike onto the actions of Darlington FC, purely because of your personal political biases and prejudices.

All you’re essentially saying is that you don’t like Dorries etc, so no one connected to you can like them either. That’s intolerance.

A football club meeting the Secretary of State for sport is not a horrendous thing. In fact it’d be strange if we weren’t meeting the DCMS secretary when given the chance.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Darlogramps

Fans Forum

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:53 am

H1987 wrote:You have to laugh when the most fragile and easily offended users of this board are calling others ‘snowflakes’ :lol:
No one in this thread has been called a snowflake. I thought you were big on your comprehension. Seem to be struggling this morning. :lol:

For someone who preaches tolerance, you’re one of the most intolerant people I’ve ever come across.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:11 am

Darlogramps wrote:What a massive overreaction from some leftie-bedwetters.

No sensible fan would see any issue with this. It’s just politically intolerant people who’ll complain about anything from someone whose politics differs to theirs.

I despise Dorries and Johnson and want them out of office. But the Secretary of State responsible for sport visiting the club isn’t a bad thing.

I’d suggest if any fan claims to be “alienated” by us speaking to the Secretary of State for sport, they’d be “alienated” by quite a lot of other things too.

And the idea that speaking to the Culture Secretary (whose remit football falls under) is somehow making us politically biased - just laughable.
Thank god a sensible post at last.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:35 am

To change the subject a little. The club has today released its accounts for FY21 to fans and owners. Fantastic transparency from the club which we've come to expect in recent years.

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/202021- ... al-results

Have only skim read but looks like the club started this season in a good position, which is currently tracking on budget. Music to my ears. Well done all those involved.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:53 am

What a load of nonsense and over reaction from some people.
I have no interest in politics whatsoever but to have the culture Secretary, or Sport minister or whatever she is, taking an interest in Darlo Fc can only be of benefit with no negatives surely.
At a time going forward when we may need help with any sort of new ground opportunity then this can only be of benefit. Well done DJ.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:07 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:41 pm
I just hope Armstrong doesn't see her as a long term replacement for Charman as our number 9.
Agreed and hope the Tories don’t see her as the replacement for number 10 either 🤣

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:27 am

JE93 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:35 am
To change the subject a little. The club has today released its accounts for FY21 to fans and owners. Fantastic transparency from the club which we've come to expect in recent years.

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/202021- ... al-results

Have only skim read but looks like the club started this season in a good position, which is currently tracking on budget. Music to my ears. Well done all those involved.
Also taken a quick look, looks like the Bounce Back Loan and the Sport Survival Loan has made a huge difference to accounts where repayment terms are very good.