New stadium funding

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New stadium funding

Post by jjljks » Fri May 20, 2022 5:17 am

Eastbourne Sports Complex was mentioned in the speech of our new D B Council Leader. He promised improvements to the facility, but I wonder if this will include a community stadium like York. As usual, the Echo spluges as "news" that DFC are wanting to move away from BM then failed to identify anything about the plans or location for the proposed stadium.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri May 20, 2022 7:01 am

jjljks wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:17 am
Eastbourne Sports Complex was mentioned in the speech of our new D B Council Leader. He promised improvements to the facility, but I wonder if this will include a community stadium like York. As usual, the Echo spluges as "news" that DFC are wanting to move away from BM then failed to identify anything about the plans or location for the proposed stadium.
I've now received an email from the Club with a link to the full story on the official website. This includes a 7 minute interview with DJ. Definitely worth a listen.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 20, 2022 7:52 am

Not a huge amount of detail (understandably at this stage), but to get confirmation that this is happening and that we have politicians onside is great. And, as ever, I'm struck with how lucky we are to have DJ involved.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:49 am

It will have to be a decent footprint of land if we are wanting a stadium, 4G pitches and a carpark. I just hope it's as close to the town centre as possible - but its fantastic news none the less. With Ben on board we have a good ally (like or loathe his politics) and he does have a track record of getting things done, and no doubt this project will be his good for his career. I have little confidence in the council but I hope through natural wastage some of the pen pushers have retired.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Fri May 20, 2022 8:53 am

Shame a handful of potential locations aint been mentioned would make things seem more a reality. Fair play to that mayor getting onside, the guy sure seems ambitious for the area
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Fri May 20, 2022 8:55 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:49 am
It will have to be a decent footprint of land if we are wanting a stadium, 4G pitches and a carpark. I just hope it's as close to the town centre as possible - but its fantastic news none the less. With Ben on board we have a good ally (like or loathe his politics) and he does have a track record of getting things done, and no doubt this project will be his good for his career. I have little confidence in the council but I hope through natural wastage some of the pen pushers have retired.
Agreed Some seem to be against ben purely because hes a tory but sometimes its best to take national politics to one side and focus what hes done in the area from the steelworks clearance, train service improvements to teeside airport. Done far more than some old farts in local government in the past.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

feethams

Post by feethams » Fri May 20, 2022 9:18 am

If the talk of it being tied in with Eastbourne is true, then read what you will from this statement on their website...
Refurbishment proposals - 2022
At a recent meeting of the council’s Cabinet a recommendation was passed to progress with proposals to remodel an existing storage building, refurbish the existing athletics track and current floodlighting. The proposals also include the creation of a new 3G pitch with associated spectators seating, fencing, storage areas and new floodlighting. There are also plans to convert the existing tarmac netball and tennis courts into a new car park, consisting of 110 spaces, lighting and prefabricated containers to provide the associated changing facilities on the Eastbourne Sports Complex site.

In advance of the submission of a related planning application, there will be a consultation drop in session on Thursday 26 May between 2pm and 7pm. The drop in will be held at the Eastbourne Sports Complex and will give the opportunity for any comments to be made on the initial proposals.

Alternatively, following the event the proposals will be posted on this webpage. Any comments can then be sent to Capital.ProjectsOffice@darlington.gov.uk until 10 June 2022.

A formal consultation will also be carried out by the local planning authority as part of the planning application process, which is expected in July this year.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 20, 2022 9:39 am

Would a 'purpose built ground' fit in with Eastbourne redevelopment?

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Fri May 20, 2022 10:12 am

Great news, just listening to the latest DJ interview and its exciting stuff all be it still at a very early stage, personally I cant see it being at the Eastbourne complex simply due to road access etc.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Fri May 20, 2022 10:16 am

feethams wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:18 am
If the talk of it being tied in with Eastbourne is true, then read what you will from this statement on their website...
Refurbishment proposals - 2022
At a recent meeting of the council’s Cabinet a recommendation was passed to progress with proposals to remodel an existing storage building, refurbish the existing athletics track and current floodlighting. The proposals also include the creation of a new 3G pitch with associated spectators seating, fencing, storage areas and new floodlighting. There are also plans to convert the existing tarmac netball and tennis courts into a new car park, consisting of 110 spaces, lighting and prefabricated containers to provide the associated changing facilities on the Eastbourne Sports Complex site.

In advance of the submission of a related planning application, there will be a consultation drop in session on Thursday 26 May between 2pm and 7pm. The drop in will be held at the Eastbourne Sports Complex and will give the opportunity for any comments to be made on the initial proposals.

Alternatively, following the event the proposals will be posted on this webpage. Any comments can then be sent to Capital.ProjectsOffice@darlington.gov.uk until 10 June 2022.

A formal consultation will also be carried out by the local planning authority as part of the planning application process, which is expected in July this year.
110 spaces would be nowhere near enough for a 5000 capacity stadium

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:39 am

e4sby wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:16 am
Fleetwood have 6 car parking spaces in their club car park. Salford City have about 20. Accrington Stanley have 30. Stockport have about 90.

Not sure any of their capacities are lower than 5000.

What is more important is good public transport infrastructure 'Train to Turnstile'.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 20, 2022 11:30 am

I believe the Eastbourne developments are not to do with us. They'll affect Darlington Town more.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri May 20, 2022 11:30 am

Parked at Wembley on Saturday. 0 parking spaces!!! Can't believe the changes there, massive coach and car park has disappeared.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Fri May 20, 2022 12:13 pm

Im struggling to think of many new build stadiums with alot of car parking spaces. Ok in town and city centres i guess but not so good out of town

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:34 pm

It's a failure in planning if a stadium requires lots of car parking.

Need some for those who would otherwise be excluded but not lots.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri May 20, 2022 12:35 pm

DJ has brought the club to the brink of another era, but this time all based on sound financial planning for the future. Would have been nice to identify at least a shortlist. The car parking at grounds is not an unsurmountable problem if public transport links are there & affordable. DJ right to push for a viable sustainable complex, but would help if it was near the town centre / station.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Fri May 20, 2022 1:18 pm

lo36789 wrote:
e4sby wrote:
Fleetwood have 6 car parking spaces in their club car park. Salford City have about 20. Accrington Stanley have 30. Stockport have about 90.

What is more important is good public transport infrastructure 'Train to Turnstile'.
It won’t matter how good the transport infrastructure is, the guidance the Council will use will ensure the club provides circa 1 space per 10 spectator seats as part of their Transport Plan. I’m not sure of the exact numbers but this was the case for when we moved into Blackwell hence the need of the car park that was constructed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:02 pm

e4sby wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:18 pm
It won’t matter how good the transport infrastructure is, the guidance the Council will use will ensure the club provides circa 1 space per 10 spectator seats as part of their Transport Plan. I’m not sure of the exact numbers but this was the case for when we moved into Blackwell hence the need of the car park that was constructed.
We only had 250 spectator seats when we moved to Blackwell Meadows didn't we?

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Fri May 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Spectator/Spectator seat I don’t think it makes any difference at all!

You seem to think you know the ins and outs of most things so I will leave it there…

If you have a spare moment you may want to read the Tees Valley Design Guide - perfect Friday evening reading…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri May 20, 2022 2:51 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:39 am
e4sby wrote:

All the stadiums you referred to were established long before modern guidance came into play (which generally can't be applied retrospectively). It's a whole new ball game when you're applying for planning permission for development on either a green or brow field site.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:45 pm

e4sby wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:32 pm
Spectator/Spectator seat I don’t think it makes any difference at all!

You seem to think you know the ins and outs of most things so I will leave it there…

If you have a spare moment you may want to read the Tees Valley Design Guide - perfect Friday evening reading…
Not at all. Just seems a bit odd that the phrase 'spectator seat' is used when it doesn't mean spectator seat. Especially as there are words for capacity if that is what they mean.

It would also be logical to me to provision car parking for those who need a seat. Those who are going to be standing for the best part of 2 hours are more likely to be able to walk / cycle. Appreciate you can't guarantee who uses the provision.

Obviously varies by region. Wimbledon built Plough Lane without a car park within 1.5miles.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:12 pm

That announcement was massively underwhelming and contained absolutely nothing we didn't already know tbh. Might as well have just carried on.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:55 am
Agreed Some seem to be against ben purely because hes a tory but sometimes its best to take national politics to one side and focus what hes done in the area from the steelworks clearance, train service improvements to teeside airport. Done far more than some old farts in local government in the past.
The steelworks closed because of his party and absolutely no one uses the train to Teesside airport. It is statistically one of the least used train stations in the country. The airport is a financial black hole with route after route failing, all subsidised by the local tax payer. Perhaps he can pay the deposit on the new ground, he's just given himself an over 70k payrise. Real value for money...

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Fri May 20, 2022 5:22 pm

On a train and Wi-Fi crap so can’t watch DJ video. Does he say who will own the stadium and where the location is?
Hopefully a good boost to BTB though.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri May 20, 2022 5:34 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:22 pm
On a train and Wi-Fi crap so can’t watch DJ video. Does he say who will own the stadium and where the location is?
Hopefully a good boost to BTB though.
Nothing on location yet, the club will own it through a 50 year mortgage.

The question I have is on the interest rate, DJ talks of a 7% interest rate from a major pension fund investor, and states that a 5 million loan would have a capital repayment of £100,000 per year and an interest payment of £7,000 per year. This seems incredibly low, as this will only pay back £350,000 profit for a 50 year risk, an effective rate of 0.14% per year. Any normal mortgage has the interest rate annually, not total. If this is the case the interest at 7% will cost us £350,000 per year. Hopefully I’ve got the wrong end of the stick here, a little clarity on this would be great

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:15 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:34 pm

The question I have is on the interest rate, DJ talks of a 7% interest rate from a major pension fund investor, and states that a 5 million loan would have a capital repayment of £100,000 per year and an interest payment of £7,000 per year. This seems incredibly low, as this will only pay back £350,000 profit for a 50 year risk, an effective rate of 0.14% per year. Any normal mortgage has the interest rate annually, not total. If this is the case the interest at 7% will cost us £350,000 per year. Hopefully I’ve got the wrong end of the stick here, a little clarity on this would be great
That does seem odd - as in real terms that would be a pretty significant loss. £5million with inflation would be worth £55m-£80m by 2070 based on post war average inflation rates.
Last edited by lo36789 on Fri May 20, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri May 20, 2022 6:25 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:15 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:34 pm

That does seem odd - as in real terms that would be a pretty significant loss.

There will likely be contractual adjustments for annual inflation, but even so it still seems too low to be true. I’m no accountant or financier, so happy to have it cleared up

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 20, 2022 6:30 pm

Perhaps we aren't planning on financing it all through borrowing? Maybe there are grants/political money available.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Fri May 20, 2022 6:58 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:55 am
The steelworks closed because of his party and absolutely no one uses the train to Teesside airport. It is statistically one of the least used train stations in the country. The airport is a financial black hole with route after route failing, all subsidised by the local tax payer. Perhaps he can pay the deposit on the new ground, he's just given himself an over 70k payrise. Real value for money...
No the steelworks failed becauase they were ran by cowboys out of there depth. What were the government supposed to do. And as for airport from 2 routes and brink of closing to loads of package holiday flights and talk of heathrow link again, some turnaround. Sure some want it to fail just so they can have a pop at the government

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri May 20, 2022 8:29 pm

No passenger train stops at Teesside Airport and won’t be for a long long time.
Wouldn’t trust Houchen as far as I can piss into the wind.
£6 million to rebuild that station but only £4million for Horden. Somethings not right.
He also claimed he paid for Teesside Uni to come to Darlo till I pointed out they’d been there nearly 10 years before he got voted in. He blocked me.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!