Newton Aycliffe v Darlington Tuesday July 5th.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Newton Aycliffe v Darlington Tuesday July 5th.

Post by Old Git » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:05 am

Just one week to go to our first friendly. Really has come round very quickly, but think I will go along as I am beginning to get withdrawal symptoms now. In most seasons ( the disappointing ones ) I am ready for a break by April, but without fail after a couple of months of no live football to watch I am ready to go again. No exception this year and looking forward to the new season with renewed hope and expectation.
Will be interesting to watch Hazel and Sukar in action and I would hope to see a few trialists given a run out as well. I know the game is meaningless,and it is more about developing fitness, but it is important as it is the first step along a long road which hopefully will be an enjoyable and exciting one.
Come on Darlo!

50 years

Re: Newton Aycliffe v Darlington Tuesday July 5th.

Post by 50 years » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:29 am

I will be there too Old Git, missing the Darlo games myself now :D

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:40 am

Looking forward to the match, always good to see the players shaking the cobwebs off, might be a signing or two as players contracted till the end of June will be available to sign.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:47 am

Will be making the trip over, I work in Aycliffe so will have a wander over when I finish.

Looking forward to it, feels like forever since the last game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:00 pm

I also hope to make the trip up too Newton Aycliffe, as really missing my footie fix.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:07 am

Just one day to go now. Really hoping we get to see Marcus Maddison tomorrow night, that will be amazing. We have to remember that it is a while since he has played, so not expecting too much, but hoping to see some glimpses of class from him.
It would be great to see a decent crowd there, which will be a boost for Aycliffe, who are managed by our former player and assistant manager Brian Atkinson.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 am

Ah yes, I do love the pre-season friendlies, where some fans read too much into one result.

Doubtless if we get anything less than a 3-0 win tomorrow night, the usual prophets of doom on here will be predicting relegation and slagging off AA.

But in all seriousness you are right Old Git. Some fans will rush to snap judgements on players and the team generally on the basis of a couple of non-competitive friendly games.

It’s always important to remember that pre-season games are more about building fitness and also cohesion in the team, rather than looking at the result.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:48 am

There was an interview with Alex Morris (Crewe manager) talking about their recent friendly and showed how irrelevant the results are.

He basically made out that there was only one thing he asked for his players and that was within 10 seconds of losing the ball they had to get it back.

That was their main objective for the game and were told if they didn't do it they would be doing extra work on fitness during the week for every time they failed.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:08 pm

What is parking like at the ground?
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:05 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:08 pm
What is parking like at the ground?
It's just on surrounding streets, no problems really, but you may have to walk a little way. What time is kick-off?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:42 pm

There is parking next to the ground, but limited, so get there early if you want a space, but as Pete said there is street parking within walking distance.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:46 pm

Kick off 7.30

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:18 pm

Is this going to be on darlo radio?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:32 pm

I hope Maddison and Beck feature sometime during the evening.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:53 pm

Looking forward to a footy game at last!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:49 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:18 pm
Is this going to be on darlo radio?
Not with Rishi Sunak & Sajid Javid resigning😆

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:07 pm

Good workout tonight. Totally dominated the 1st half and led 4-0 at halftime with goals from Mondal Hazel Lambert and Rivers. Second half was more disjointed with multiple substitutes and Aycliffe pulled 2 back, before a goal from substitute Marcus Maddison.
Thought we looked good at times, especially in the 1st half and all in all a very satisfactory start to the preseason games.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:16 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:07 pm
Good workout tonight. Totally dominated the 1st half and led 4-0 at halftime with goals from Mondal Hazel Lambert and Rivers. Second half was more disjointed with multiple substitutes and Aycliffe pulled 2 back, before a goal from substitute Marcus Maddison.
Thought we looked good at times, especially in the 1st half and all in all a very satisfactory start to the preseason games.
Thanks for succinct report. Nice to be starting the season with the team getting valuable some playing time together, cheers

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:43 pm

Very decent performance this evening. Thought Hazel looked excellent, scored the second goal and set up the first and third goals. Thought the crowd looked around 800, of which 500 were supporting Darlo. Alsso good to see no injuries this evening.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:43 pm
Thought the crowd looked around 800, of which 500 were supporting Darlo.
Good going that considering Aycliffe average about 175.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:18 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:07 pm
Worth adding that Mondal also had at least 2 assists in the first half (rested for second). I got the impression that the Darlo players that stayed on for the second half had been told not to over-exert themselves as it was their first run out. Lambert looked sharp. As expected, Maddison looked rusty but I'm sure that will improve as he gets more game time. His finish definitely had a touch of class.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:21 am

Got to mention Sakur, played at CB alongside lawlor, looks really comfortable on the ball , distribution was good, so yep IMO we have cover at CB, early days though.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:08 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:21 am
Got to mention Sakur, played at CB alongside lawlor, looks really comfortable on the ball , distribution was good, so yep IMO we have cover at CB, early days though.
His transfrmarket page lists him as a CB, which I suspect will be driven from his time at Sunderland / Scotland. Unsurprising that he would be comfortable there.

In fact he said it himself back in 2014.

"What is your best/preferred position on the pitch?"
"Left centre-back."

https://www.kingfut.com/2014/06/23/inte ... sem-sukar/

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:26 am

Doing some amateur sleuthing on some of squad from last night.

Seems we had four academy players on the bench, but also two names who aren’t listed on our academy page, Kaelin Robinson and Josh Scott.

Can’t find anything on Robinson, but there are two North East-linked Josh Scotts. One is a Newcastle U23 full back who appears to be under contract there.

So I think the Josh Scott who was on the bench for us last night was the forward released by Mansfield over the summer. Ex-Hartlepool and had loan spells with Kettering and Basford.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:44 am

There is a Kaelen Robinson (born 2003) who played for Wallsend Boys Club. Little info about him though.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:26 am
Doing some amateur sleuthing on some of squad from last night.

Seems we had four academy players on the bench, but also two names who aren’t listed on our academy page, Kaelin Robinson and Josh Scott.

Can’t find anything on Robinson, but there are two North East-linked Josh Scotts. One is a Newcastle U23 full back who appears to be under contract there.

So I think the Josh Scott who was on the bench for us last night was the forward released by Mansfield over the summer. Ex-Hartlepool and had loan spells with Kettering and Basford.
Yes I think you are correct with your reasoning. The lad who came on played as a striker.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:11 pm

Thought Rivers and Mondal were very bright, Lambert played some lovely thru balls and Hazel got straight on the scoresheet plus no injuries, but have to remember Aycliffe had a couple of 15 year olds on the pitch and a few new recruits from Crook town who played well and assisted the goals with Taylor could do nothing about.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:39 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:11 pm
Thought Rivers and Mondal were very bright, Lambert played some lovely thru balls and Hazel got straight on the scoresheet plus no injuries, but have to remember Aycliffe had a couple of 15 year olds on the pitch and a few new recruits from Crook town who played well and assisted the goals with Taylor could do nothing about.
Not surprised he couldn't do anything with them, he was subbed off at half time :lol: .

Overall though agree with the above, sounded like a good way to blow the cobwebs off for a fair few of the squad and no injuries to report. Good to see Hazel and Maddison get straight into the goals, I know pre-season counts for nothing results wise but there is certainly something to be said for attacking players getting straight in amongst the goals and building that confidence ready for day 1 of the season. Onto the next one.