"Biggest FA Cup shock of all time"

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Jeff Jones
Team Supported: Darlington

"Biggest FA Cup shock of all time"

Post by Jeff Jones » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:10 pm

So says the Beeb.
I remember the day when we beat Chelsea(FA Cup replay)
We were in the lowest division( no surprise). They were in the highest.
I reckon that beats Bradford City's victory, don't you?

Spyman

Re: "Biggest FA Cup shock of all time"

Post by Spyman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Football is very different to back then though, the gulf between divisions must be far greater.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:50 pm

First thing that ran through my mind when I heard them say that was Ronnie Radford's screamer when Hereford knocked Newcastle out. I think in the MOTD age that'll take some beating as one which sticks in the collective memory - only the second time that a non-league club had knocked a top-flight club out, and the first in the age when everyone had a telly to witness it.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:53 pm

Jeff Jones wrote:So says the Beeb.
I remember the day when we beat Chelsea(FA Cup replay)
We were in the lowest division( no surprise). They were in the highest.
I reckon that beats Bradford City's victory, don't you?
The BBC don't have footage of it so it doesn't count.

Same as they never mention Wimbledon in 1974 as a non league side going away to top division Burnley and winning.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:02 pm

We got a mention on 606 last night - apparently Bradford were the first team from the third tier to put four past Chelsea since...

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 pm

http://www.thegiantkillers.co.uk/alltim ... upsets.htm

This site claims to use some mathematical formula and has Darlington v Chelsea at number 36 in all time list

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 am

Much as it pains me to say so, Bradford did do it at Chelsae's place. We thought enough of our fans to bring them home for a replay so the whole town could see it. :roll:

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:44 am

Our performance was all the more remarkable as we drew away at Chelsea 3-3, before thrashing them 4-1 at home. Three of the goals coming in 6 minutes in extra time.
So much for division one teams being fitter

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:59 am

It undoubtedly should be referenced more. It's largely forgotten outside of Darlington, but was quite a remarkable result.

In case anyone hasn't seen, here's the British Pathe footage from the game:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5q9YhjWjOU
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Of course the modern day fan may think Bradford was the biggest shock of all time but in reality it shouldn't be regarded as so.. Yeovil beating the Bank of England club Sunderland must be higher due to the fact the gulf between teams was bigger.Saying that I would go with the cup shock that resulted in the first non league team to win on top flight soil. Sheff Utd v Darlo gets my vote for this reason as it paved the way for all the other shocks.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:02 pm

Have to give a mention to Colchester beating Leeds 3-2 in 1971. They were a Division 4 team and Leeds were top of the old First Division. In those days there was no squad rotation and the Leeds team included all their top players and were a really tough nut to crack with the likes of Bremner Charlton Hunter etc.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:02 pm
Have to give a mention to Colchester beating Leeds 3-2 in 1971. They were a Division 4 team and Leeds were top of the old First Division. In those days there was no squad rotation and the Leeds team included all their top players and were a really tough nut to crack with the likes of Bremner Charlton Hunter etc.
Correction Bremner was absent but all the other big players were in the team. Wonder if the fiery little Scot had played it might have been a different result?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:51 pm

joejaques wrote:
Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 am
Much as it pains me to say so, Bradford did do it at Chelsae's place. We thought enough of our fans to bring them home for a replay so the whole town could see it. :roll:
Only because of a daft backheel !!!! At 4-0 they would never have come back.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:01 pm

The daft back heel was Ron Harbertson - if we'd won there it would be in the history books. Jimmy Greaves played then but not in the replay when he was in their party. He gives a good account of the game in his auto-biography. My Father' Uncle and most of the town got the day off and the pathe news mentioned above is on Youtube - lovely cameo of a full Feethams.

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:56 pm

I remember the game, unfortunately I could not attend the game as I was at school and they would not allow us to go to the game. It was an afternoon kick off, as we didn't have flood lights.

We all sat in the school hall listening to the game on the radio, teachers telling us to sit still and be quite, needless to say they wasted their time it was fantastic young boys jumping up and down, yelling teachers trying to restore order. In the end they joined in.

Great memories, unfortunately Wolves beat us 6-0 in the next round