Salfords Run In

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

davidcurrieclass
Team Supported: Darlington

Salfords Run In

Post by davidcurrieclass » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:01 pm

Just got round to seeing what there last games were, had hoped they had a few top teams to play but sadly no. Couldnt have asked for a nicer last ten or so games apart from say Spenny

piggy

Re: Salfords Run In

Post by piggy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 pm

yeah I had a look on the evo website the other day and its a far easier run in than what we have. Hopefully we have enough of a cushion to get over the line though. Two games with Northwich are huge.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:30 pm

Yeah, Scarborough and Spenny are the only two games you can see them realistically dropping points. However, as we've already seen, football isn't played on paper and they'll slip up in a couple of games you don't expect them to.

Our run in looks far more difficult but if we perform like we've done recently we'll have few problems. I reckon Salford will drop points in at least 4 games before the end of the season. Given we've 3 games in hand that means we could drop points in 7 games and even eirh the run-in we have I cant see that happening.

Ginge's top 9 post does quite a nice job of analysing the games versus top teams.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:46 pm

piggy wrote:. Hopefully we have enough of a cushion to get over the line though.
This football talk is all very well - but what about the chip situation ?

Will there be enough to go round ?

Will they be hot enough ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Think Salford will be more prone to dropping points than we will, it was only the other week Brighouse beat them, a team we've took 6 points off

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:01 pm

This situation sort of mirrors last year but in reverse, where Curzon had an appalling looking run in, in fact for a short while I became convinced that they were only top "because they hadn't played anyone" and that they would get found out as they played all the top teams.

Using that logic, and looking at our run in which looked easy peasy compared to Curzon's run in, I thought they would drop points, we would sweep all before us, and eventually catch them.

We've even got someone from Spenny, Polarbear, using similar reasoning and thinking that they are going to claw us back in much the same way.

But what I didn't reckon on last year was that Curzon were simply better than everyone else, therefore when they played these tough matches they kept on winning.

And that is exactly why nobody (sorry Polarbear) is going to catch us, because although we have to play Northwich, Bamber Bridge, Scarborough, Farsley etc, we are better than them and will continue to win points in those matches.

So long as we don't get complacent, then there is nothing anyone can do other than watch us take the title.

One thing I particularly like about Martin Gray and this bunch of players is their mentality. We saw it in the Northern League, we saw it for a stretch last season and this season, once we're on a roll we're utterly relentless, we just churn out result after result after result....remember the steamroller? It just never stops rolling. The manager and team hardly ever drop their standards.

I have 100% confidence that we will win this league this season - no doubt in my mind.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Quakerz wrote:This situation sort of mirrors last year but in reverse, where Curzon had an appalling looking run in, in fact for a short while I became convinced that they were only top "because they hadn't played anyone" and that they would get found out as they played all the top teams.

Using that logic, and looking at our run in which looked easy peasy compared to Curzon's run in, I thought they would drop points, we would sweep all before us, and eventually catch them.

We've even got someone from Spenny, Polarbear, using similar reasoning and thinking that they are going to claw us back in much the same way.

But what I didn't reckon on last year was that Curzon were simply better than everyone else, therefore when they played these tough matches they kept on winning.

And that is exactly why nobody (sorry Polarbear) is going to catch us, because although we have to play Northwich, Bamber Bridge, Scarborough, Farsley etc, we are better than them and will continue to win points in those matches.

So long as we don't get complacent, then there is nothing anyone can do other than watch us take the title.

One thing I particularly like about Martin Gray and this bunch of players is their mentality. We saw it in the Northern League, we saw it for a stretch last season and this season, once we're on a roll we're utterly relentless, we just churn out result after result after result....remember the steamroller? It just never stops rolling. The manager and team hardly ever drop their standards.

I have 100% confidence that we will win this league this season - no doubt in my mind.
I agree. Nothing will stop us other than an implosion on our part. The other teams just aren't good enough.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:02 pm

I guess it's one game at a time for us now but if I had to guess then 11 wins from 15 should win us the league on 95 points.

Some tough games but as said we are a very good team, can I see us winning 11 of 15, yes.

Only scenario that can change this is Salford or Spenny going on a winning run of 12 and 17 games respectively. Time will tell on those ones but for now it's all about next Sat at Kendal and getting one of those wins we need.

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:11 pm

The run in of fixtures can work both ways, although we play higher placed teams they are more likely to attack us leaving gaps. Lower league teams are more likely to shut up shop and play for a point, especially against top teams.

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:47 pm

It is possible that any of the top teams will drop points from now until the end of the season. Below is a grid comparing IMHO the best 4 teams in the division. I think we will be champions but the games have to be played.
The home and away results against each opponent so far this season, the .... is that game has not been played, the top 4 teams has it's goals first so we show the Salford games as 0-1 & 0-2. Read down the two Darlington columns to see the results where they have played. Same for the other 3 teams.

........................ Darlington........ Salford...... Northwich.... Spennymoor
........Team........... H.... A.......... H..... A......... H.... A......... H.... A
.1. Darlington...... XXX..XXX...... 2-0.. 1-0......................... 0-2.. 0-1
.2. Salford........... 0-1.. 0-2..... XXX..XXX...... 2-2.. 1-2...... 0-0
.3. Northwich Vict.................... 2-1.. 2-2...... XXX..XXX..... 2-1.. 4-1
.4. Scarborough... 3-0.............. 4-1...................... 2-1..... 4-1.. 0-1
.5. Spennymoor... 1-0.. 2-0.............. 0-0...... 1-4.. 1-2...... XXX..XXX
.6. Bamber Bridge........ 2-1...... 3-0.. 2-1...... 1-0.. 0-2...... 1-6
.7. Droylsden............... 1-2...... 2-1.. 2-3...... 3-0............. 3-2
.8. Harrogate R.A. 7-1.. 5-1...... 1-4.. 0-1.............. 1-2.............. 1-1
.9. Farsley........... 1-1.............. 3-2.. 1-1............. 0-1............... 1-1
10. Mossley................. 3-0...... 2-2.. 3-1...... 0-0.. 1-0
11. Lancaster.................................. 2-0...... 0-1...................... 4-1
12. Clitheroe........ 1-1..................... 1-2...... 3-0.. 1-3
13. Warrington..... 2-0.............. 2-2.. 2-0...... 2-0.. 1-1.............. 0-1
14. Kendal........... 7-0.............. 2-1.. 0-6...... 0-0.............. 2-1
15. Burscough...... 3-0.. 2-2...... 1-0...............5-0.. 5-2.............. 1-0
16. Brighouse....... 2-0.. 3-1...... 2-0.. 1-3...... 1-0.............. 4-1.. 4-1
17. Ossett Albion... 2-0.. 2-0...... 4-0.. 1-0...... 1-0.. 2-1...... 5-0.. 1-1
18. Ossett Town.... 5-0.. 2-0......................... 1-1.............. 3-0.. 3-1
19. Radcliffe......... 2-2.. 1-1...... 2-1...................... 2-0...... 2-1
20. Prescot Cables. 2-0 ................................ 2-0.. 3-2...... 0-0
21. New Mills............................2-0...................... 2-1...... 1-0
22. Padiham......... 1-0.. 3-1...... 5-1.............. 5-1.. 2-0............. 2-0

It does show Salford remaining fixtures to be heavy in the bottom half of the table, especially the bottom 5. On paper, a lot easier set of games compared to us. The games have to be played but unless there are some horrible weather games on horrible pitches and surprise results, they should get 1-0 wins or more in a lot if not all of those games especially against the bottom 5. In comparison, we have to play a lot more tough games playing away against middle of the table teams.

The way we have been playing, Martin Gray has this team organised, if we continue to win away or get results at the other top teams, the three games in hand should get us home as champions.
Yesterdays win was special, we were away against a top 6 opponent where a draw would have been reasonable, Salford were home to a 21st place team, we extended our goal difference lead by winning 5-1, Salford could only win 2-0. If we continue like that, there is nothing Salford can do about it, we've played each other twice,they can't take points off us anymore.

Northwich's fixtures after our games are mainly top 9 at home, middle of the table away, so the potential for points to be dropped.

Spennymoor has the chance to win a lot of home games against mid table opponents, tough away games against top 9 opponents.

It's a two horse race at best, and we've got the inside track with games in hand and a better goal difference.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Agree with Quakerz regarding Curzon Ashton. This time last season they still had Warrington (A), Northwich (H), Farsley (A), Darlington (A), Warrington (H), Farsley (H) and Lancaster (A) all still to play.

As for Salford, whilst they have an easier run in, as of next Saturday 7 out of 11 of their remaining games are away. 6-3-5 is their current away record, hats off if they do it.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Even if Salford win all their games, the best they can manage is 98 points. I therefore find it hard to believe we'll need 95 - I just can't see them only dropping 3 points.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

olrad

Post by olrad » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:50 pm

Harder run in ? Everyone we have to play is currently below us and highly likely to stay that way :D

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:27 am

Last Wednesday showed when we struggled to overcome Padiham, that any side in this league can raise their game and cause a top side all sorts of bother. Salford have already shown that they can slip up against so called inferior opposition.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:50 am

Salford's manager thinks playing lower teams will be a struggle for them...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5FR6WE ... e=youtu.be

divas

Post by divas » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:22 am

Northwich are nothing to be feared, they've managed to take a lot of points off the poorer teams but have struggled against the teams higher up the league. Despite Gannon having them extremely well drilled they don't have a great deal of quality in the squad, and have lost Dixon to Salford. They're finally beginning to slide away and we probably play them at the best time.

IMO our toughest 2 games left this season are coming up in the last week of Feb. Farsley away and Bamber Bridge at home - get through those and we'll be absolutely flying. Droylsden away was out of character and we'll put that right at home no problem.

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:49 am

Looks like the league may as well give darlo the title and salford runners up spot, after reading darlo posts

divas

Post by divas » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:53 am

Who said anything about runners-up? Counts for nowt, and is of zero interest to anyone here. Been there, done that.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:30 am

polarbear wrote:Looks like the league may as well give darlo the title and salford runners up spot, after reading darlo posts
No, still quite a few contenders for 2nd place. Salford are probably best placed to win the play-offs as most of the team and management have the experience of doing it last season as well.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:06 am

polarbear wrote:Looks like the league may as well give darlo the title and salford runners up spot, after reading darlo posts
We are top of the league with 3 games in hand. Our goal difference was already superior and we have just scored 13 goals in the last week. Does it upset you so much that we are optimistic about our chances of winning the league.

If you actually read the posts it doesn't say we have won it, people have said if we continue as we have been we will which is not even opinion it is fact.

I agree Divas Farsley away will be tricky and I wouldn't get to worried even if we lost there. I would expect a win at home to Bamber Bridge. Droylsden seem to play a game where they just out score their opponents, they concede so many and since we score plenty and are strong at the back that game could be quite entertaining!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:39 am

Who is being more optimistic?

Darlington fans who think their club, top of the league with 3 games in hand and with a far superior goal difference to anyone else, is well on course to win the league.

or

Spennymoor fan who thinks his club, who even if they win their games in hand are still 6 points behind a team who has beaten them twice this season and sits top of the league, is going to be 1 point ahead of Darlington in 14 games time.

:think:

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 pm

Polarbear you need to get a fucking grip mate.

Concentrate on your own club and get over us.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 pm

So where do you think Spenny will finish?
How many points will they achieve this season?

Spenny can currently achieve 101 points if they win the next 17 games after winning the last 4. Your best winning league run of the season is 4 (done this twice) but to get to 101 points you need a league winning run of 21 games.

You have 9 away games left (50% win ratio) and 8 home games (69% win ratio).

For what it's worth I do think Spenny are a good team and I expect them to be top 3 but would expect you to drop at least 7 points in those 17 games. Drops you to 94 points maximum.

cameldfc

Post by cameldfc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 pm

To be honest - the Salford Vs Spennymoor game will probably decide who finishes 2nd and 3rd, i can't see how we will drop 10+ points in our remaining games

Personally, i hope Spennymoor can go up through playoffs - we have had a mini rivalry since we ended up down in the Northern League - and i would like it to continue (good for gate receipts too)

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:18 pm

cameldfc wrote:To be honest - the Salford Vs Spennymoor game will probably decide who finishes 2nd and 3rd, i can't see how we will drop 10+ points in our remaining games

Personally, i hope Spennymoor can go up through playoffs - we have had a mini rivalry since we ended up down in the Northern League - and i would like it to continue (good for gate receipts too)
that and a guaranteed 6 points ;)

grytters

Post by grytters » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:48 pm

And of course, with Salford playing a lot of their remaining fixtures against teams in the "bottom 5", those opponents will be fighting harder for their points to try and guarantee survival in this division for next year.
Bring Back the Quarters

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 am

Have Spennymoor applied for promotion?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:39 am

They don't have too. It was only when getting promotion from the Northern Leagye when you had too.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:24 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:They don't have too. It was only when getting promotion from the Northern Leagye when you had too.
woosh! :D