Interesting opinion bit in the echo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Interesting opinion bit in the echo

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... formation/

For those who haven't seen it.

Agree?

I personally wouldn't mess too much with the formation, and definitely not to go 5 at the back. (I don't understand how he thinks this would combat packed midfields either??) 4-5-1 would be more likely I think, but you are left likely to lose a striker from the squad due to lack of playing time...

I personally would go all out to find a dedicated defensive central midfielder. A real terrier / ball winner. If we can. Otherwise, 4-5-1 could be a solution? Thompson, Gillies and Beck as the attackers?

DL5

Re: Interesting opinion bit in the echo

Post by DL5 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Nothing like a bit of sensationalist gutter press from The Echo there

"our form over the last two months is that of a team battling to avoid relegation"

What, all those 8 games of draws or 1 goal defeats against top sides and/or Full time clubs

Relegation form, seriously get a grip

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:00 am

DL5 wrote:Nothing like a bit of sensationalist gutter press from The Echo there

"our form over the last two months is that of a team battling to avoid relegation"

What, all those 8 games of draws or 1 goal defeats against top sides and/or Full time clubs

Not sure about the gutter press comment.

I think you'll find this is an opinion piece, more a blog really, and written by a fan rather than a member of the Press Corps. I don't always agree with what is written but am interested in his views along with the views of anybody else I read or hear.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:23 am

DL5 wrote:Nothing like a bit of sensationalist gutter press from The Echo there

To be fair, he isn't that far wrong.
We have got 6 points from 8 games ( 1 win, 3 draws and 4 defeats) since the start of November..And we were knocked out of the Trophy by a team from the league below..We had two attempts at that game as well.
If we started the season with the same results we would all be worried.
Our form since we beat Harrogate town is not good.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:36 am

It seems he's looked at the points tally and thought "that's relegation form" without seeing who we've played and how close the games were.

There's no doubting we've had some disappointing results but the relegation reference was a bit harsh imo.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Since Harrogate we've been poor, but you have to consider that we have played the best teams in the league and it has been clearly demonstrated that we are not yet one of those teams. That doesn't upset me and is a fair reflection of where we are.

The author, who I thoroughly enjoy reading if not always in agreement (kudos to the Echo), raises the most pertinent point of all: scoring goals isn't a problem; conceding too many is. We can sign seven strikers and it will make little difference at present.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:47 pm

DL5 wrote:It seems he's looked at the points tally and thought "that's relegation form" without seeing who we've played and how close the games were.

There's no doubting we've had some disappointing results but the relegation reference was a bit harsh imo.
You'll find he's looked at the performances as I believe he goes to practically every game.

We are somewhere around bottom 4 in the form table. In my book, that makes Trevor pretty much correct.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Not read the article yet but will if the Echo online works.

However I like Trevor's updates, like others I don't always agree (although often I do) but it generally deals with the latest relevant points that an interview with Gray would be shut down.

It does feel we are at a cross-roads in the season, will it be mid-table or will we battle for a play off place.

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:26 pm

i think there is a fair point in gray shipping in and out forwards in fair numbers over the years for not instantly performing , while refusing major surgery on the defense which badley needs firming up. but i full trust martin to turn it round. we have just been spoilt for a few year winning all the time

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:14 pm

I think it is a fair piece from Trevor, yes we have played a lot of the teams near the top of the league, but quite a few of the performances have been pretty brutal.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Sidarlo wrote:quite a few of the performances have been pretty brutal.
Beyond Tamworth, Telford and Nuneaton were the only games where the reports back were that we were second best on the day.

The rest were really a mixture of defensive errors (eg. Salford) or not being clinical enough up top (eg. Marine).

I am sure the slump will fizzle out a few fresh faces might be the best thing for it though just to stir something in the players.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:27 pm

I don't even think we were second best against Nuneaton, just caught after going for the win after rightfully clawing our way back in to the game.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:49 pm

I've read the article and for me I don't agree. I keep hearing and reading the problems with the defence but also fans come back and say some of the individual defenders played well. I'm of the opinion that our defending has been naive and simply needs refining. Also defending starts from the front two. A lot was made a few weeks ago of our inability to defend set plays which seems to have developed to blame the defence

I'm not sure I've seen any better defenders in the leagues below. Our defenders seem like better than average for our division but not world beaters which is fine with me for now. I didn't expect to be where we are in the table