Coppinger's still got it

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
biccynana
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Coppinger's still got it

Post by biccynana » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:48 pm

Not bad for a 37 year old (jeez, that makes me feel old!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp79NqPJkIY

eddie-rowles
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:59 am

Cannot believe it is over 20 years since we got £500k for him and Paul Robinson that must be equivalent to over a £1million now. My God the club could do with another Kenny Dalglish coming in to buy someone now.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11928
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:19 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:Cannot believe it is over 20 years since we got £500k for him and Paul Robinson that must be equivalent to over a £1million now. My God the club could do with another Kenny Dalglish coming in to buy someone now.
Probably more like £5million in todays money given that the world record fees have increased by more than 1000% in 20 years.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

biccynana
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by biccynana » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 pm

Retiring this summer. 800+ appearances (nearly 700 of them for Donny Rovers).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ged-40-kit

lo36789
Posts: 9339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:14 am

Plus add ons you would expect in current market...

Old Git
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by Old Git » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 am

biccynana wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Retiring this summer. 800+ appearances (nearly 700 of them for Donny Rovers).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ged-40-kit
Interesting footnote in the article that Ricky Ravenhill’s son is also in the Doncaster squad.

Nimrod
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by Nimrod » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:04 pm

I remember at the time wondering whether that transfer was Kenny Dalglish just helping out Hodgy as we were in fairly dire financial straits under Peden (not that we knew that at the time of the transfer)

lo36789
Posts: 9339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:05 pm

Nimrod wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:04 pm
I remember at the time wondering whether that transfer was Kenny Dalglish just helping out Hodgy as we were in fairly dire financial straits under Peden (not that we knew that at the time of the transfer)
Really?

I was very young at the time but thought Robinson had burst into the first team and was quite well thought of whilst Coppinger was rated even more highly in terms of potential.

biccynana
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by biccynana » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 am
biccynana wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Retiring this summer. 800+ appearances (nearly 700 of them for Donny Rovers).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ged-40-kit
Interesting footnote in the article that Ricky Ravenhill’s son is also in the Doncaster squad.
Wonder how many players have played in the same side as a father and son, at different times.

User avatar
Norm_D_Ploom
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:51 am

Great article on the BBC Sport website about JC and another ex DFC lad called Paul Pomford. Well worth a look :thumbup:

lo36789
Posts: 9339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:47 am

biccynana wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 am
biccynana wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Retiring this summer. 800+ appearances (nearly 700 of them for Donny Rovers).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ged-40-kit
Interesting footnote in the article that Ricky Ravenhill’s son is also in the Doncaster squad.
Wonder how many players have played in the same side as a father and son, at different times.
Imagine quite a few - just off the top of my head...

Cruyff, Kluivert, Ince, Clough, Zidane, Bruce, Ferguson, Harvey Neville, Gudjohnsen, Håaland, Schmeichel

Some of those were admittedly whilst their Dad was manager mind...

biccynana
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by biccynana » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:47 am
biccynana wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 am
biccynana wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Retiring this summer. 800+ appearances (nearly 700 of them for Donny Rovers).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ged-40-kit
Interesting footnote in the article that Ricky Ravenhill’s son is also in the Doncaster squad.
Wonder how many players have played in the same side as a father and son, at different times.
Imagine quite a few - just off the top of my head...

Cruyff, Kluivert, Ince, Clough, Zidane, Bruce, Ferguson, Harvey Neville, Gudjohnsen, Håaland, Schmeichel

Some of those were admittedly whilst their Dad was manager mind...
I didn't mean players who'd played in teams with their own dads. I meant a situation such as: Player A played in a Fulchester United side with Player B in 1990 and then Player A played in a Fulchester side with Player C in 2010, and Player B was Player C's dad.

Darlo_lad
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by Darlo_lad » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:04 pm

Good write up here on coppinger and Paul Robinson and their move from us to Newcastle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/hfe5e ... ible-Dream

lo36789
Posts: 9339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coppinger's still got it

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:43 pm

biccynana wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:47 am
biccynana wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 am
biccynana wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Retiring this summer. 800+ appearances (nearly 700 of them for Donny Rovers).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ged-40-kit
Interesting footnote in the article that Ricky Ravenhill’s son is also in the Doncaster squad.
Wonder how many players have played in the same side as a father and son, at different times.
Imagine quite a few - just off the top of my head...

Cruyff, Kluivert, Ince, Clough, Zidane, Bruce, Ferguson, Harvey Neville, Gudjohnsen, Håaland, Schmeichel

Some of those were admittedly whilst their Dad was manager mind...
I didn't mean players who'd played in teams with their own dads. I meant a situation such as: Player A played in a Fulchester United side with Player B in 1990 and then Player A played in a Fulchester side with Player C in 2010, and Player B was Player C's dad.
Oooo interesting. Yes it would require some serious longevity.

Did Sergio Ramos play with Zidane senior and junior at Real?

Post Reply