AGM

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: AGM

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:50 am

We have a few more than 200/300 paying on the gate because usually only around 650 ST holders turn up for an average match.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:21 pm

quakersfan wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Purely hypothetically, how much extra would we be looking at to buy our own plot of land somewhere in the town?!
Non starter there just isn’t the land, I think club once looked at Eastbourne but now with increased housing there’s no way a ground will be given permission. In fact with SV going ahead I can see Eastbourne closing and sold for more housing.
This is an interesting one... if Eastbourne were to close because the town's sports village was going to be at one sight, then one thing they'd have to replace would be the athletics stadium at the arena. I was at the Newport County game on Saturday, got some complimentaries from my mate who's their kitman... I was chatting to some of their fans and talking about Darlo etc and our ground issues. They had it a hell of a lot worse than us. After "reforming" and being admitted to the Helenic League (below the Southern League Pyramid) they were forced to play 80 miles from Newport in Moreton on the Marsh... they moved back to Somerton, only to be banned from playing on Welsh soil by the FAW unless they moved to the Welsh system (which they'd never been part of in their history). This time they moved to Gloucester City's ground and had to fight the FAW in the High Court to allow them to play in Newport. By the time they got back, Somerton was gone and so they moved into the newly built Newport Athletics Stadium, offered to them as a home by the council. There are actually a large percentage of their support that want to go back there, they play at the rugby ground, have no revenue streams, have no money from bar takings or food... it was all sounding familiar.

One thing you often see when new athletics grounds are put in is at least one stand running the length of the pitch is installed, (Eastbourne is unusual in that respect) that will contain the necessary training space, changing rooms, storage for field equipment etc as well as a spectator area. Anyone who's driven up Marton Road in Boro recently will notice this was done at their new sports village which replaced Claireville, The original stand at Newport Stadium holds 1200 seated. There's a terrace now on the opposite side, which County built, but the main seated stand was built as part of the original build.

That could be a relatively cheap option if the council does sell off Eastbourne because they'd have to provide the athletics facilities and with that may come a seated stand. I know Athletics stadiums can be unpopular with football fans but it may be a good solution for all parties, at least in the short to medium term, if we can jump on that bandwagon. With the increased space due to the track we'd probably have a big enough capacity with the one seated stand and hard standing for now, although a terrace wouldn't be that expensive and may be worth a fund raising push.

Just an idea. I know it isn't popular up in Gateshead but it could be an inexpensive option that would meet our needs

This is the stand:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... &eim=1,2,6

and the terrace that County built:

the latest pics suggest County could be gearing up for a return:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
quakersfan wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Purely hypothetically, how much extra would we be looking at to buy our own plot of land somewhere in the town?!
Non starter there just isn’t the land, I think club once looked at Eastbourne but now with increased housing there’s no way a ground will be given permission. In fact with SV going ahead I can see Eastbourne closing and sold for more housing.
This is an interesting one... if Eastbourne were to close because the town's sports village was going to be at one sight, then one thing they'd have to replace would be the athletics stadium at the arena. I was at the Newport County game on Saturday, got some complimentaries from my mate who's their kitman... I was chatting to some of their fans and talking about Darlo etc and our ground issues. They had it a hell of a lot worse than us. After "reforming" and being admitted to the Helenic League (below the Southern League Pyramid) they were forced to play 80 miles from Newport in Moreton on the Marsh... they moved back to Somerton, only to be banned from playing on Welsh soil by the FAW unless they moved to the Welsh system (which they'd never been part of in their history). This time they moved to Gloucester City's ground and had to fight the FAW in the High Court to allow them to play in Newport. By the time they got back, Somerton was gone and so they moved into the newly built Newport Athletics Stadium, offered to them as a home by the council. There are actually a large percentage of their support that want to go back there, they play at the rugby ground, have no revenue streams, have no money from bar takings or food... it was all sounding familiar.

One thing you often see when new athletics grounds are put in is at least one stand running the length of the pitch is installed, (Eastbourne is unusual in that respect) that will contain the necessary training space, changing rooms, storage for field equipment etc as well as a spectator area. Anyone who's driven up Marton Road in Boro recently will notice this was done at their new sports village which replaced Claireville, The original stand at Newport Stadium holds 1200 seated. There's a terrace now on the opposite side, which County built, but the main seated stand was built as part of the original build.

That could be a relatively cheap option if the council does sell off Eastbourne because they'd have to provide the athletics facilities and with that may come a seated stand. I know Athletics stadiums can be unpopular with football fans but it may be a good solution for all parties, at least in the short to medium term, if we can jump on that bandwagon. With the increased space due to the track we'd probably have a big enough capacity with the one seated stand and hard standing for now, although a terrace wouldn't be that expensive and may be worth a fund raising push.

Just an idea. I know it isn't popular up in Gateshead but it could be an inexpensive option that would meet our needs

This is the stand:

Personally I'd rather go back to the arena than play at an athletics stadium. People complain about the run off behind the goals at Blackwell, a running track is even worse.
I notice in the pics that they have stands right behind the goals at that stadium, do they have to remove them when theres a big event on or does the running track go behind the stands?
lo36789 wrote:Thing is people are massively over simplifying things.

"Why can't we just use our own caterers"

- Well the rugby club will have commitments to it's staff in terms of hours and salary. If we have no need of their services we will effectively be either cutting the hours of their staff (who are likely members of family / friends of members) so you can see why they would protect their interests.

"Why can't we keep all the wet sales"

- Well there are costs, and there is also an opportunity cost for the rugby club. They will have paid for the cost of sales (so that needs covering) plus all the time we are using the facility they cannot have functions / other bar users. So miss out on the profits from these.

Ultimately given we have been there for 2 years now it should be pretty easy to see from the figures what their net profit was pre us being there, what their net profit was after us being there. They deserve compensation for primacy of tenure and that they can't fulfil potentially members bookings on days we are there.

I would be quite surprised if the net figure came out "materially" different to what we are paying now, but I doubt that the facts would be enough to sway the "us v them" mentality which has come about through fiction and rumour.
I'm pretty sure the rugby club rely on volunteers too, whether they pay them on match day or not is another thing.
Their caterers aren't up to the job, simple as that. They have had two years now and are still making adjustments to what they do and yet still aren't up to a standard needed for the crowds we get. From what I heard the boxing day game was a total balls up in hospitality. Its not good enough.
Wet sales we get a small percentage of, something that is heavily weighted in their favour.
And we still have the long standing issue of access and identification of it actually being our home.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:10 pm

loan_star wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
quakersfan wrote:

This is the stand:

Personally I'd rather go back to the arena than play at an athletics stadium. People complain about the run off behind the goals at Blackwell, a running track is even worse.
I notice in the pics that they have stands right behind the goals at that stadium, do they have to remove them when theres a big event on or does the running track go behind the stands?
Yeah I see that argument, although some of the best atmospheres you'll ever experience are at grounds with running tracks: Napoli and Roma to name a few. Also, if you go back to some of the classic grounds back in the 70s and 80s, there were often tracks around them: Stamford Bridge had a huge gap between the stands and the pitch. Eastville (Bristol Rovers) was another one.

regarding the stands behind the goal, I'm not entirely sure... I'd have thought you'd have to build around the running track as that area is used for high jump, javelin etc etc...

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:57 pm

That reminded me of years spent near Bristol. We'd do City or Rovers. Eastville was home to speedway and greyhound racing, hence the Tote End. They had flowerbeds behind the goal! And now they play at a rugby ground.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:40 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:That reminded me of years spent near Bristol. We'd do City or Rovers. Eastville was home to speedway and greyhound racing, hence the Tote End. They had flowerbeds behind the goal! And now they play at a rugby ground.
And ironically the Rugby team have left... they're at Ashton Gate. And it looks more like a cricket ground with that strange stand along one side which looks like a pavillion.

Is that what went round Eastville? I knew it was something, the Tote End was far back from the pitch. Somerton Park was the same, not sure what they had at Stamford Bridge

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm

The atmosphere in the Arena on the odd occasion was brilliant and I'm sure if we had a successful team then the atmosphere would be really good. Having been to grounds like the Gateshead International Stadium and the Sheffield Don Valley Stadium us moving to an athletics track should be avoided at all costs.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Gow9900 wrote:In addition to this Craig Morley said in the last podcast that we are having to turn people away from Hospitality due to not having the capacity, which loses us valuable revenue.
Gonna apply some really simple economics to this...

If demand is outstripping supply then price should be increased.

coles

Post by coles » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Gow9900 wrote:In addition to this Craig Morley said in the last podcast that we are having to turn people away from Hospitality due to not having the capacity, which loses us valuable revenue.

Increasing the prices would drop the demand, it is priced accordingly. At £35 to watch the game upstairs and get served pie and peas we sell out if you were to then ask £40-£45 and still serve the same standard of food then you would certainly not sell out. I think £35 is the tipping point I’ve been upstairs on 6 occasions this season and I have yet to be impressed with the food.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 pm

coles wrote:Increasing the prices would drop the demand, it is priced accordingly
That is the whole point. Drop demand to match supply when supply is finite.

It clearly isn’t priced accordingly if demand outstrips supply.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:10 pm

lo36789 wrote:
coles wrote:Increasing the prices would drop the demand, it is priced accordingly
That is the whole point. Drop demand to match supply when supply is finite.

It clearly isn’t priced accordingly if demand outstrips supply.
Economics 101

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Swans, they even had American football there in 86! It was rough in the Tote End, I remember them removing police helmets and throwing lit newspaper around. Mind you it wasn't all fun at Ashton Gate, I remember when Cardiff came in the home end. Heady days.
Back in the day the Racecourse at Wrexham was really that. Seems like it is possible to share amicably and reasonably.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Been in hospitality once meal was chicken breast with veg not brilliant so is it only pie and peas now ?
Was thinking about trying it again but not if that`s all it is might as well go down town and have a meal beforehand

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:23 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Been in hospitality once meal was chicken breast with veg not brilliant so is it only pie and peas now ?
Was thinking about trying it again but not if that`s all it is might as well go down town and have a meal beforehand
It’s been said time and time again that hospitality is where we make money for DFC so if you are thinking of it then book with Jo Cameron. I’ve eaten there a few times this season and lately it’s been busy and the food totally fine. Craig and his hospitality team are trying really hard so support them.

IMO relationship with matchday DRFC volunteers has improved I think the problem lies with the DRFC committee. I’ve heard from Joe that commercial terms are due to be renegotiated after 3 years so hopefully a deal that makes us more money, but nothing like the deal if we owned our own ground. Perhaps the best idea would be to buy DRFC out lock stock and barrel!!

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:57 pm

coles wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Increasing the prices would drop the demand, it is priced accordingly. At £35 to watch the game upstairs and get served pie and peas we sell out if you were to then ask £40-£45 and still serve the same standard of food then you would certainly not sell out. I think £35 is the tipping point I’ve been upstairs on 6 occasions this season and I have yet to be impressed with the food.
I thought pie and peas was only served at a special reduced rate for midweek fixtures. Whereas for Saturday fixtures, for £35 it is a two-course meal with something better than pie and peas for main course?

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:56 pm

The staff in hospitality are brilliant, but the food is not great.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:04 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
coles wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

I thought pie and peas was only served at a special reduced rate for midweek

Pfixtures. Whereas for Saturday fixtures, for £35 it is a two-course meal with something better than pie and peas for main course?
The times I’ve done it I’ve paid different prices but bar one it’s always been really enjoyable, Joanne has been great and last two game Man of the Match has been properly announced by John Tempest on the mic, it does make more of an event which is appreciated by guests.

coles

Post by coles » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
coles wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

I thought pie and peas was only served at a special reduced rate for midweek fixtures. Whereas for Saturday fixtures, for £35 it is a two-course meal with something better than pie and peas for main course?
It’s been different food every game but I’ve been served pie and peas on 3 occasions this season none of those games were night games and includes the spenny game

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:21 am

At the Ashton game a couple of weeks ago JT came down into the bar and went apeshit with the woman in charge of the catering.He called it “piss poor and inedible and not worth a couple of quid “.
We were stood at the trap end of the bar and heard every word.She wasn’t best pleased and blamed everyone but the groundsman for her balls up.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:23 am

Tbh, i'd sooner have a good pie and peas then a chicken breast and some vegetables anyway...

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:33 am

It depends on the clientele you want to attract. If it was logistically possible I’d like to see a two-tier offering with different pricing based on the meal choices. Some would be happy with a pie and peas and your match sponsor who’s paying more may want 2/3 courses of more refined grub.

Or they should just do a bloody carvery which is surely much easier and better quality

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:06 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Swans, they even had American football there in 86! It was rough in the Tote End, I remember them removing police helmets and throwing lit newspaper around. Mind you it wasn't all fun at Ashton Gate, I remember when Cardiff came in the home end. Heady days.
Back in the day the Racecourse at Wrexham was really that. Seems like it is possible to share amicably and reasonably.
Saw some old pics last night of the White City Stadium on a Football Grounds Facebook Page. Huge ground, I think there has been some cup finals there and also I'm sure QPR played there. That had a track around it, I think it had a running track and a dog track.

Yeah I've heard the Tote End could be fun... no surprise with Cardiff turning up at Ashton Gate... they were the big rivals back then, wasn't til the early 80s that the Swans-Cardiff derby took off, prior to that it was Cardiff-Bristol City and Swansea Newport due to the gap in divisions.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:33 pm

And didn't it take off! Is the rumour that swimming has been involved true?!

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:39 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:And didn't it take off! Is the rumour that swimming has been involved true?!
:lol: Yes it's true. It was back in 1988. They ran into the sea to escape Swansea fans, who then proceeded to pelt them with pebbles, meaning they had to swim out further to escape the stones... if you do a search online you can find an old image of the newspaper article that reported it. Cardiff don't actually deny it, they just claim it was a small bunch of lads who weren't their "top boys".

This incident was more symbolic than anything really... the worst violence was in December 1993, known as The Battle of Ninian Park. I was a bit too young but people I know who were at that game, in both camps, say it's possibly the worst incident of football violence the country's ever seen. As a result away fans were banned from the fixture for a few years, it was the first time in British football history that it had ever happened.

As British derbies go, there's possibly only Rangers and Celtic that would be worse.