North West based Darlington fans

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Would you be interested in joining a North West Darlington supporters club?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 3

TKOA
Team Supported: Darlington

North West based Darlington fans

Post by TKOA » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:53 pm

Hello everyone,

This might be a daft idea and perhaps I’ve lost my mind waiting for the season to start but I thought I’d ask anyway as I’d be interested to find out.

I’ve been living in the north west for a couple of years now and I’ve noticed a few posters on here and the Facebook tinshed board have mentioned that they also live in the north west.

I realise the north west covers a large area so I was looking at costs for running a minibus or coach from Manchester to Blackwell Meadows whenever we are able to start attending matches again. It would cost around half the price than a train to Darlington would. Might make travel to home games and away games easier and cheaper.

I’ve put a poll up to ask if anyone would join and would travel on a coach if a supporters club could be set up. I may have overestimated numbers by a lot here but I thought it was worth asking anyway.

TKOA

Re: North West based Darlington fans

Post by TKOA » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:57 pm

I should mention by north west I was looking at Lancashire/Cheshire/Merseyside area. Sorry to any Cumbrians!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 pm

I've rarely seen Darlington at home but get to most games over this side of the Pennines (it's a standing joke with some Darlo regulars who almost fell over when I appeared at Blackwell). In the past I've been to Yeovil, Bournemouth and Aldershot but I now I tend to just attend NW games so I'm out. Thanks for asking! One problem might be that people are spread out all over the place and that might make pickups tricky.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 pm
I've rarely seen Darlington at home but get to most games over this side of the Pennines (it's a standing joke with some Darlo regulars who almost fell over when I appeared at Blackwell). In the past I've been to Yeovil, Bournemouth and Aldershot but I now I tend to just attend NW games so I'm out. Thanks for asking! One problem might be that people are spread out all over the place and that might make pickups tricky.
Wouldn’t it make more sense for everyone to meet at a designated point?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:42 am

I know of a few north west based fans, but they aren't great in numbers. I think it would be to meet at somewhere like Birch Services & then car share from there.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:23 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:42 am
I know of a few north west based fans, but they aren't great in numbers. I think it would be to meet at somewhere like Birch Services & then car share from there.
Word of warning you do have to pay to park at Birch services. I left my car there for 8 hours before lockdown I think it cost me £12.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 pm
Thanks for the answer. I thought about having one pickup in Manchester but with the size of the area I suggested that’s not very helpful for fans not in greater Manchester. As it turns out there’s no interest but I’m pleased I know now!

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm

It’s a nice idea but even from the Stockport area I’d probably drive directly and stay overnight.
There are quite a lot more north west based fans than you think mind you.
Certainly when I speak to people at away games I’d say about 40% either live locally or maybe have come up from the midlands.
Having moved away from Darlo about 38 years ago I find it maintains an important connection with where I’m from when the team are in the area.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:21 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:42 am
I know of a few north west based fans, but they aren't great in numbers.
But they're good as individuals though.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Before lockdown would have jumped at chance based in salford but now back in NE, wish you luck in getting a few together

PolamLane

Post by PolamLane » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:05 pm

Rare post from myself - an exile based in Preston so probably not practical to share travel costs plus i wouldn't go to many games in Darlington unless its a biggie. Usually just watch the north west fixtures plus my adopted teams home fixtures @ Bamber Bridge. Happy to share a beer at the Darlo away games in this area.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:48 am

I tend to decide quite late about going to games and sometimes stay for a drink in Darlington after the match so the time I want to leave the town varies so I will be sticking with the train even though it does cost more.
Thanks for the suggestion though.