Darlington V Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Telford

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:30 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:51 pm
Also not certain AA would know what his first choice starting eleven is.

Charman would be in it defo but he got nobbled by Boston on Tuesday night. Dirty Boston player took him out by his ankle, dirty Boston player had no intention and no chance of playing the ball, so he just chopped Charman down, as you do!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 pm

I do hope those who are so upset about Boston used to complain back in the day about how Ricky Ravenhill and Martin Gray used to play. In current times Joe Wheatley is hardly angelic.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 pm
I do hope those who are so upset about Boston used to complain back in the day about how Ricky Ravenhill and Martin Gray used to play. In current times Joe Wheatley is hardly angelic.
Your comment does not change what theoriginalfatcat said.Or are you trying to stir for another argument with expert opinion again. It was a very bad tackle and he was a dirty player.
As for your comment on Wheatley. Yes he is a physical player who is a ball winner,. However, in all the games I have seen him play I don't recall a deliberate foul where he has brought down a player from behind who was in the process of crossing the halfway line and heading nowhere in particular. The tackle was made deliberately to take him out of the game. In my opinion.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm

To be fair Wheatley has tried to bring down players who have got away from him before, but he’s so bad at tackling he’s always missed them :D

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 pm
I don't enjoy watching dirty football regardless of who the culprits are and re Martin Gray I was never a fan, but on saying that a more robust style was perhaps more justified when we were chugging through the lower reaches of non league football. Fight fire with fire so to speak.

Or to put it another way lo, if watching Boston week after week was my only option I don't think I'd bother to turn up as I don't enjoy watching dirty football regardless of who the culprits are..............
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 pm

My opinion wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:55 pm
I have seen a few posts on here saying how poor this player was and how poor that player was. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Well, I have to say in my opinion how poor Liddle was today and last Tuesday. He was responsible for the first goal on Tuesday by leaving his man to get the cross in. And again today he went missing giving there lad all the space and time in the world to get his cross in.
Yes, the centre backs should have sorted it but it should not have been crossed in the first place.
Someone said earlier that maybe he needs a rest. I am thinking he was right.
Don't understand why Campbell was taken off and why Reid got to stay on for the full game.
Of course these are just my opinion but something need to be sorted
The player that put the cross in for Boston's 1st goal on Tuesday night was their centre mid, so not someone you would naturally expect your full-back to track. It was Liddle's area of the pitch but he was keeping tabs on their winger in quite a congested area.

Swindon's goal was also set-up by an excellent reverse pass from Matt Smith (who is their best player). That type of ball you struggle to defend against unless you are tight to the centre-half, it was almost de-Bruyne esque.

Telford's 1st goal was bread and butter for Storey & Laing, firstly Storey *maybe* could have done more to stop the cross. Secondly, Laing's attempted clearance (or lack of) to just waft his right leg out was embarrassing for a centre-half.

If you, and others by the way, are going to slate a player then at least do so for good reason.

It was a difficult watch on Saturday, our two centre-halves were weak and against a player in Jason Oswell who isn't exactly renowned for his strength and physicality. That was the most worrying thing for me on Saturday.

I'd expect to say some changes on Tuesday. Atkinson/Watson or even McMahon in for Laing and Holness in for Reid.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:18 pm

I was referring to Martin Gray's playing rather than managerial style to be honest.

I don't think any of our historic players have ever intended to injure another, and I don't think Boston tried to injure players.

They tried to break up play at every opportunity. To avoid us gaining any momentum or threatening their goal. It's cynical but it is very much part of the game.

I remember watching Wheatley last season and he was subbed very shortly after a tackle when he should have been sent off when he absolutely clattered someone who was on the halfway line. He wasn't intending to hurt him / injure him - he was absolutely making sure the player knew he was there and wasn't going to advance any further.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:16 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 pm
My opinion wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:55 pm
I have seen a few posts on here saying how poor this player was and how poor that player was. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Well, I have to say in my opinion how poor Liddle was today and last Tuesday. He was responsible for the first goal on Tuesday by leaving his man to get the cross in. And again today he went missing giving there lad all the space and time in the world to get his cross in.
Yes, the centre backs should have sorted it but it should not have been crossed in the first place.
Someone said earlier that maybe he needs a rest. I am thinking he was right.
Don't understand why Campbell was taken off and why Reid got to stay on for the full game.
Of course these are just my opinion but something need to be sorted
The player that put the cross in for Boston's 1st goal on Tuesday night was their centre mid, so not someone you would naturally expect your full-back to track. It was Liddle's area of the pitch but he was keeping tabs on their winger in quite a congested area.

Swindon's goal was also set-up by an excellent reverse pass from Matt Smith (who is their best player). That type of ball you struggle to defend against unless you are tight to the centre-half, it was almost de-Bruyne esque.

Telford's 1st goal was bread and butter for Storey & Laing, firstly Storey *maybe* could have done more to stop the cross. Secondly, Laing's attempted clearance (or lack of) to just waft his right leg out was embarrassing for a centre-half.

If you, and others by the way, are going to slate a player then at least do so for good reason.

It was a difficult watch on Saturday, our two centre-halves were weak and against a player in Jason Oswell who isn't exactly renowned for his strength and physicality. That was the most worrying thing for me on Saturday.

I'd expect to say some changes on Tuesday. Atkinson/Watson or even McMahon in for Laing and Holness in for Reid.
If you think that I was slating players (Liddle) by my comment, you are wrong. I pointed out that he was badly caught out of position for both the Boston first goal and for the Telford first goal..And he was. It was pointed out by someone else that he was out of position for the Swindon goal.. And again he was.
As I stated about the Telford game, the centre backs should have dealt with the cross into the box. But, the lad should never have been allowed to put the ball there in the first place.
It's ok bombing forward from the full back position providing that you get back when needed, or you pass the responsibility onto someone else.
On the Boston game. there was a few passes in the buildup and Liddle (who i think is a very good player for us) was out of the playing area, See where he was on the replay, and I don't think he was tracking anyone.
On the Swindon goal he clearly lost his man and allowed him to get onto the through ball.
As I said earlier, these are my opinion. I am not slating him, I am suggesting he needs a rest

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:55 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:18 pm
I was referring to Martin Gray's playing rather than managerial style to be honest.

I don't think any of our historic players have ever intended to injure another, and I don't think Boston tried to injure players.

They tried to break up play at every opportunity. To avoid us gaining any momentum or threatening their goal. It's cynical but it is very much part of the game.

I remember watching Wheatley last season and he was subbed very shortly after a tackle when he should have been sent off when he absolutely clattered someone who was on the halfway line. He wasn't intending to hurt him / injure him - he was absolutely making sure the player knew he was there and wasn't going to advance any further.
I didn’t like Gray as a player either but I suppose he held down his place in a very good Darlo side.

As for Wheatley I hold my head in my hands sometimes, he worries me when he goes flying in out of control and he needs to cut that reckless side of his game out.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!