Team v BPA

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Team v BPA

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 pm

loan_star wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:47 pm
You can have as many plans as you like but when a team scores a goal then parks the bus its very hard to break them down.
Reid should have done better for their goal without a doubt.
Looked to me like some were saving themselves for sunday on that performance.
4 times in a row this has happened - let's not be feeding these players easy excuses like "it's very hard to break down teams who park the bus"

You HAVE to find a way.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:13 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:45 pm
In all my years watching Darlo I can never remember us missing a player like we miss Hatfield when he is not there. Wheatley was good again today but he was on his own.
And Holness.

Hatfield, Wheatley, Holness midfield 3 in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 - problem solved. I'm with darlo2001uk in thinking that those three are by far and away our best midfield. By miles.

It does mean an attacker or two missing out but given that Maguire and Charman keep getting injured, that's maybe not to much of a selection headache.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:18 pm

loan_star wrote:You can have as many plans as you like but when a team scores a goal then parks the bus its very hard to break them down.
Reid should have done better for their goal without a doubt.
Looked to me like some were saving themselves for sunday on that performance.
Reid lacks urgency in his play and plays far too many safe, sideways passes with no telling balls to the lads up front.Not often you can criticise AA but he got his selection totally wrong tonight, and why the hell Hudson was not brought on 20 minutes earlier to try and unlock their packed defence only our management team know.
Rant over but still very annoyed with that tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:19 pm

One last thing.

We were missing too many good players tonight - Hunt, McMahon, Liddle, Hatfield, Holness - arguably Storey (though Laing and Atkinson have done well together for me) - I get that Hunt can't play yet but could none of the others have played?

Darlogramps

Team v BPA

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
darlobaz791 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:47 pm
Don’t understand the formation tonight. Why go 4-2-3-1? Just put Atkinson in midfield, bring Storey in at CH and not play maguire or O’neill. The two with Reid doesn’t work, he doesn’t have the legs. Hoping for Holness, Hatfield and Wheatley on Sunday.
I can see why AA stuck with Atkinson in centre defence and he hasn't put a foot in those last 3 matches.

When Laing and Storey were paired together that one match after Hunt's injury, they were all over the shop.

Yet Storey was blossoming next to Hunt, but Laing has never looked more solid than since he's partnered Atkinson. Laing and Atkinson look a good pair. Hunt and Storey look a good pair. Maybe both Laing or Atkinson could pair well with Hunt. But maybe, just maybe, Laing and Storey is not a good pair.
Agree with this. To give Atkinson his due, I’d say this is the best he’s looked since joining us.

Granted because of his injuries he’s rarely had a run of games, but he’s looked solid since going to centre back so it makes no sense to move him, particularly when it seems to be helping Laing as well.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 pm

What is doubly frustrating is that I have seen some bad Darlo sides over the years, some really awful ones, but I can't remember any of them losing the first 4 home games in a season. This is not a bad side, no matter what style we play or what our weaknesses are, there is a large element of luck to this as well, it's pretty flukey that we would lose all these games at home, but flukey stuff happens in football.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 pm

Suppose it is a good job that fans are not allowed in at the moment given home results. Not sure why this is happening given away form. Was surprised with subs as thought they both still looked full of running, yet Reid looked really tired in second half but stayed on.
Thought defence played ok overall, and impressed with Atkinson now he is fit, but 2 man midfield has failed us on more than one occasion, and forwards looked confused as to where they were playing. Assumed with O'Neil and Chamers on we would be getting crosses in, but that didn't happen.
Looking forward to getting AA's take on the game.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:41 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 pm
What is doubly frustrating is that I have seen some bad Darlo sides over the years, some really awful ones, but I can't remember any of them losing the first 4 home games in a season. This is not a bad side, no matter what style we play or what our weaknesses are, there is a large element of luck to this as well, it's pretty flukey that we would lose all these games at home, but flukey stuff happens in football.
This to my mind is a good side. A top 7 side, easy. There is a lot of quality in it, but it's not translating to home results.

We have been a bit unlucky in that we've faced Kiddy and Boston already and they for me are top 7 certainties. OK you can deal with losing those 2 early in the season, but also losing to 2 run of the mill teams who we should be beating is really hard to take.

Gateshead next Wednesday, these matches don't get any easier as they potentially are as good as Boston and Kiddy. Then Hereford next up who we always seem to struggle to break down - another sit back with 11 men behind the ball team on their last couple of outings vs us.

If we don't wake the hell up we could be looking at a home record of 0-0-6 next Saturday! And let's not forget our last home match of last season we got beat as well.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:49 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:57 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 am

The is with one eye on next Sunday, we have to give ourselves the best chance of causing an upset.
Why? The league is far more important this year. We aren't going to win the FA Cup, and the big prize for a non league club - an away tie at somewhere like Man U, has lost it's value because there won't be 70,000 people there giving us a massive income boost because of the gate split.

In fact it'd just be our luck to cause an upset, then draw Man U away and make nothing from it - whilst also getting panned 9-0. Fuck that.

Any other year, yes please. This year, no thanks.

We make 46k from round 2 even if we lose. Take the money and run, I say.
Agree. Decreased odds of victory in league versus decreased the odds defeat.

I'd say lets just do our utmost to win as many games as possible - that means full strength v BPA.
Short-sighted.

McMahon is 34 and his legs aren't what they used to be. He has also just played 180 minutes on the back of being out for 2 weeks. Alun has said publicly that McMahon will rotate with Hedley.

Wheatley is our legs in midfield and has just put in 180 minutes in 6 days.

Hatfield has a tweak in his hamstring.

Campbell has just put in 240+ mins in 8 days.
Well I hope that losing again in the league tonight was worth it.

FA Cup is too much of a distraction now. Players eyes are off the ball before a big FA cup game, then there is always a big come down in the league match after an FA Cup game. It toys with our league campaign.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:40 am

I thought Wheatley & Charman stood out for me.
Have to say on these home performances we will struggle to be mid table however a win in the Cup could change all that.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:01 am

Hope Bristol Rovers had not forked out the £7.99 to Quaker TV as BPA just gave them the blueprint of how to stop us in our tracks. Can the IT team check if anyone new from the Filton area logged into the game?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:28 am

Well I hope that losing again in the league tonight was worth it.

FA Cup is too much of a distraction now. Players eyes are off the ball before a big FA cup game, then there is always a big come down in the league match after an FA Cup game. It toys with our league campaign.
[/quote]

Give it a rest we dreamed of a decent cup run for years and now you don’t want it. Be realistic we were highly unlikely to win the League this season and the best we could hope for is a playoff position. Disappointing start but still very possible.
I will take the cup run thanks and a charge up the League in the New Year both of which will make for a good season. The money from the cup run quite useful as well don’t forget.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:40 am

jjljks wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:01 am
Hope Bristol Rovers had not forked out the £7.99 to Quaker TV as BPA just gave them the blueprint of how to stop us in our tracks. Can the IT team check if anyone new from the Filton area logged into the game?
There was a Bristol Rovers scout there last night and he left after 75 minutes, probably got all that he needed by then.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:10 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:40 am
jjljks wrote:
There was a Bristol Rovers scout there last night and he left after 75 minutes, probably got all that he needed by then.
Does that mean they only play for 75 mins?

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:38 am

Rare to disagree with AA in his post match comments but come on, “it was a decent performance but we lost it in first 10 mins” . “ enough chances to have won the game” .

Take away a couple of long range efforts and can only remember one chance, McGuire’s header. Did agree that we rarely get crosses on even when in decent positions. Still annoyed the day after. Playing what was essentially 5 players who play upfront or just behind striker in same team was a joke in all honesty.
Atkinson has done great but should have been moved to midfield last night with Storey back in. Love what he is doing overall, but AA must take a fair share of blame last night I’m afraid.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:10 am

Atkinson certainly did enough to merit a place next Sunday, but as Quakerlad said could be played in midfield with Storey filling in at the back. Really need Hunt and Hatfield back in the side, along with Charman. Also Holness would help put some steel in the side

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:20 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:38 am
Rare to disagree with AA in his post match comments but come on, “it was a decent performance but we lost it in first 10 mins” . “ enough chances to have won the game” .

Take away a couple of long range efforts and can only remember one chance, McGuire’s header. Did agree that we rarely get crosses on even when in decent positions. Still annoyed the day after. Playing what was essentially 5 players who play upfront or just behind striker in same team was a joke in all honesty.
Atkinson has done great but should have been moved to midfield last night with Storey back in. Love what he is doing overall, but AA must take a fair share of blame last night I’m afraid.
Agree with all the above. We needed Atkinson in midfield last night but AA seems very reluctant to partner Laing and Storey in the centre of defence. It has looked a bit of a weak pairing in the past to be fair to him. Thought he may have made the switch at half time last night though as they were always going to sit deep in the second half and protect their one goal lead. Atkinson in midfield would have allowed Campbell and Sousa to stay wider and may have stretched their defence a bit more. With Charman and O’Neill in the middle we should have got more crosses into the box.
On a slightly different point I don’t think Campbell is at his best out wide. Much more of a fox in the box playing off another striker. That could be with Charman O’Neill or Maguire but at present with four central strikers I would like to see any of the following combinations.
Campbell/Charman
Campbell/O’Neill
Maguire/Charman
Maguire/O’Neill

Rivers and Sousa are our best wide men and should play there when available with a combination of two of the following in central midfield. Hatfield Wheatley Atkinson Holness.
At Bristol Rovers with Sousa being unavailable would play two frontmen probably Campbell and Charman with Holness Hatfield Wheatley and Rivers in a four man midfield. Obviously assuming all are fit.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:27 am

jjljks wrote:
No way will any team play like that at home, that's the beauty of the situation, we will continue to have success away from home because teams simply don't defend that way at home, unless they are playing Man City or Liverpool that is, but not when home to Darlington.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:14 am

If (and who knows) everyone is fit (apart from Liddle), then I would go for this starting line-up:

Saltmer, McMahon, Hunt, Storey, Watson: Wheatley, Holness Hatfield; Rivers, Campbell, Charman

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 am

The midfield look a bit weak if we lose one of Wheatley, Holness and Hatfield. Two and we're in deep doo-doo.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:18 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 am
The midfield look a bit weak if we lose one of Wheatley, Holness and Hatfield. Two and we're in deep doo-doo.
This is obviously our best midfield formation - but remember we managed at Swindon without one of them.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:34 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:18 pm
H1987 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 am
This is obviously our best midfield formation - but remember we managed at Swindon without one of them.
Yes and Reid was the other one that day but now people say hes shite again.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:44 pm

A couple of things I noticed from last night, BPA had three men on Sousa all night as soon as he got the ball they surrounded him - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know he's our danger man. Also they kept fouling Wheatley - maybe they were expecting him to react.
BPA parked the bus second half - which they are entitled to do -but the amount of cheap freekicks was frustrating. The ref was blowing his whistle every time a player went down - which set the tone for BPA to make the most of everything.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

divas

Post by divas » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:31 pm

Bower and team clearly did their research and implemented a game plan that we had no answer to. Well deserved.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:14 pm

divas wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:31 pm
Bower and team clearly did their research and implemented a game plan that we had no answer to. Well deserved.
We will face the same thing every home game and we need a Plan B.
Is it me or does our pitch seem narrow on Quaker TV. Possibly just the camera angle but at Guiseley and Alfreton we seemed to have loads of space on the flanks going forward but at home everything looks much narrower. Maybe we just play everything through the contested midfield at home and use the wings better on the counter attack away. Certainly we need to attack using the full width of the pitch at home to try and stretch the opposition.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:49 pm

We will face the same thing every home game and we need a Plan B.
Is it me or does our pitch seem narrow on Quaker TV. Possibly just the camera angle but at Guiseley and Alfreton we seemed to have loads of space on the flanks going forward but at home everything looks much narrower. Maybe we just play everything through the contested midfield at home and use the wings better on the counter attack away. Certainly we need to attack using the full width of the pitch at home to try and stretch the opposition.
[/quote]

I think we might be running out of explanations or excuses for the bizarre shape of our season so far. If other teams can work out how to play against us why can't we do likewise? Has the club had anyone looking at The Pirates - they seem to be struggling but a cup run could save their season? Hopefully they've not watched us away. It really is a puzzle though; we've been done over at home by two middling teams now as well as Kidder and Boston so perhaps the bad vibe referred to is settling in. I think we're struggling because we're a plucky part-time outfit with a good manager who gets us to play at a high level but there are limits to how much can be done. Also, I honestly think players miss the crowd at home, which might be one of the reasons we do well away. It would be nice to challenge at the top end but can we go up yet? The revenue from a cup run is absolutely vital here and Armstrong deserves as much as possible for the team, so for me the cup can only enhance our season, not distract us.
If there is some bad curse or karma at The Meadows AA could take a tip from Don Revie RIP and get a traveller in to lift some spirits.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:53 pm

divas wrote:Bower and team clearly did their research and implemented a game plan that we had no answer to. Well deserved.
Maybe a good idea if we do the same.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Really disappointed with last night , we lacked mobility in our midfield so could not press as high up the pitch as we normally do.

In my opinion missing the energy of Hatfield and Holness really weakness us and in turn makes us defend deeper as the centre backs will drop deeper if there is no pressure on the ball to try and protect themselves from through balls

BPA doubled up on both our wingers which nullified any threat we had from wide areas , our fullbacks didn’t give us enough going forward and I can’t recall any point where our fullbacks were overlapping our wingers - something that Liddle and McMahon do really well - where as Watson and Hedley didn’t get much further than the halfway line but are solid enough squad players

I guess most teams at our level would be weakened when missing Hunt , McMahon, Liddle , Hatfield, Holness. Then loosing Maguire , who was just starting to look good was a big blow , as O’Neill and Charman didn’t look match sharp to me, which is understandable

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Be positive ,I still believe that we will get the space on Sunday to show that these players can play good football,
Getting there backs up won't help confidence. Stay positive give positive vibes and the players will pickup.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:03 pm

I think what is most worrying is that in all four home games we haven't looked like turning it around. They are not freak results. We moved the ball about nicely at times and we have some good footballers in the squad no doubt but these four performances taken as a whole are terrible. It has not been a question of missing loads of chances or massively dominating. Well beaten by Kidderminster and Boston and its not like Telford or BPA were desperately hanging on. Scored cheap goals and then just shut us out.

We need to be able to impose ourselves on teams and we are not. I do wonder if two central strikers would be better when you have teams throwing so many men back. I also think that would get the best out of Campbell.

Long way to go but such a weird season to be buzzing at the erm mighty greens on the road and then ****ing despondent after every home game.