David Johnson : We are in a sad position

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Johnson : We are in a sad position

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:14 am

Football is not really like any other business.

Football clubs, especially at our level are not businesses designed to make money. They exist because the fans give them a reason to exist but with fans being banned what is the point in them?

With a business operating in the normal world the owners might choose to take out a loan to keep it functioning - knowing that at some point profits will return, but with us and many other clubs this isn’t relevant so regardless of interest rates and timescale a loan would be foolish and unnecessary.

To me the North and South leagues will stop, but I’m not sure about the main league. Will it continue and how?

Also if all the National league clubs have taken out loans, therefore having less money - could this benefit us in years to come when we hopefully get promoted?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

SFG

Post by SFG » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 am

Looks like this may help to resolve the need for the regular testing of employees. Perhaps a local company could offer access to lateral flow tests as part of some sort of sponsorship arrangement?

[https://www.gov.uk/government/news/more ... -workforce]

Doesn't solve the financial issue of course.

Perhaps see how things look in 6 weeks time and extend the season to the end of June? I doubt that the attractions of Farsley v Curzon would seriously jeopardise interest in the European Championships which are scheduled to start on 11th June - but must be in doubt as it is unlikely that all countries will be COVID free by then.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 pm

SFG wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 am
Looks like this may help to resolve the need for the regular testing of employees. Perhaps a local company could offer access to lateral flow tests as part of some sort of sponsorship arrangement?

Perhaps see how things look in 6 weeks time and extend the season to the end of June? I doubt that the attractions of Farsley v Curzon would seriously jeopardise interest in the European Championships which are scheduled to start on 11th June - but must be in doubt as it is unlikely that all countries will be COVID free by then.
A six week delay would take us into March and with the amount of fixtures remaining there's no way you're finishing the season by the end of June at best it would be around mid July at the earliest.

You can kick it into the long grass as much as you like but if the issue of funding isn't resolved its a pointless exercise, there needs to be a cut off point and personally I think a decision should be reached by the end of the current fortnight suspension so we at least know where we stand and can move forward from there.

There's also a very real possiblity the Euro's could be played behind closed doors which would be truly devastating we can only hope we're in a substantially better position by then.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46 pm

An article in today’s Echo suggests that even if our league season ends we will continue in the FA Trophy.
“ The Buildabase FA Trophy is currently due to continue which means Quakers will be in action on Saturday February 6 when they host National League side Wealdstone ar Blackwell Meadows. As things stand however the Trophy could be their only action in the remainder of the season “
The report is simply accredited to Sport staff so not sure how accurate it is. Given the current standard of reporting of the Echo I am doubtful about the accuracy of this article. I thought it more likely that if the league season is cancelled we would be unlikely to be able to continue in the Trophy.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:50 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 pm
There's also a very real possiblity the Euro's could be played behind closed doors which would be truly devastating we can only hope we're in a substantially better position by then.
We have tickets to a Euro match up in Scotland and they sent details through suggesting that a lottery could take place regarding seat allocation, i.e. reduced capacity in the stadium is being considered.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:56 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46 pm
An article in today’s Echo suggests that even if our league season ends we will continue in the FA Trophy.
“ The Buildabase FA Trophy is currently due to continue which means Quakers will be in action on Saturday February 6 when they host National League side Wealdstone ar Blackwell Meadows. As things stand however the Trophy could be their only action in the remainder of the season “
The report is simply accredited to Sport staff so not sure how accurate it is. Given the current standard of reporting of the Echo I am doubtful about the accuracy of this article. I thought it more likely that if the league season is cancelled we would be unlikely to be able to continue in the Trophy.
The 2 week pause will take us up to that stage but meanwhile the players will still be on full wages and training because nothing has been sorted. So bearing this in mind, the cup game could well go ahead however what about the question of safety?

Darlo and other clubs in their joint letter demanded better testing - what's happening about that, and would we run the risk of being seen as hypocritical if we play this game?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:09 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:56 pm
Old Git wrote:
The 2 week pause will take us up to that stage but meanwhile the players will still be on full wages and training because nothing has been sorted. So bearing this in mind, the cup game could well go ahead however what about the question of safety?

Darlo and other clubs in their joint letter demanded better testing - what's happening about that, and would we run the risk of being seen as hypocritical if we play this game?
I'm sure people will accuse the club of hypocrisy if - assuming no change to the testing situation- we play our trophy game. In his interview DJ stressed that the safety issue was as important as the finance. You might fudge it a little bit by saying it is the travelling they are concerned about and we are OK with home games, but that says we are happy to expose the other team to the risk, but not ourselves, but I don't think that is a defendable position.

For me if its not safe to play a league game then its not safe to play a cup match.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:12 pm

Old Git wrote:
The sides at step 3 & 4 continued to play in the FA Cup and FA Trophy after their seasons were paused

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:41 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:50 pm

We have tickets to a Euro match up in Scotland and they sent details through suggesting that a lottery could take place regarding seat allocation, i.e. reduced capacity in the stadium is being considered.

I would imagine that is the default position across the board and I hope you are able to go.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:39 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 pm
SFG wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 am

A six week delay would take us into March and with the amount of fixtures remaining there's no way you're finishing the season by the end of June at best it would be around mid July at the earliest.

You can kick it into the long grass as much as you like but if the issue of funding isn't resolved its a pointless exercise, there needs to be a cut off point and personally I think a decision should be reached by the end of the current fortnight suspension so we at least know where we stand and can move forward from there.

think it has already been stated elsewhere that there is no flexibility to extend the season any further due to play-offs and having to start next season .

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:34 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:39 pm

think it has already been stated elsewhere that there is no flexibility to extend the season any further due to play-offs and having to start next season .
In that case a lengthy delay is off the table I've also seen suggestions from some people of suspending this season and resuming in August but as I said last season it makes no sense to sacrifice a full season in favour of an incomplete one.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:27 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:19 pm
H1987 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:58 pm
The Chinese government changed the terms for bailing out NLN and NLS football clubs and the premise for beginning the season did they? :lol:

I don't know what is more embarrassing, the post itself, or those lining up to agree for it. I suppose it's really rather easy blaming Jonny Foreigner than looking a little closer to home. You don't need to engage your brain that way.
Touched a nerve have we?

At what point did I blame China for this situation? My comment regarding their government albeit somewhat tongue in cheek was a nod to the fact the virus, which as Norm_D_Ploom has pointed out already, that led us to this position originated in China and I also believe they were aware of it before it was made known to the rest of the world but that is a debate for the off topic room should anyone care to make a thread.

It's just as easy to blame Johnny Foreigner as it is to blame the government isn't it? Neither require you to engage your brain and on a related note do you know for a fact the government are to blame or are you just saying that because its the nasty horrible Tories? Also having listened to DJ's interview at no point did he suggest there was any foul play from them (although he did say he felt they had handled the pandemic poorly) and nor have I seen any similar suggestions from any other chairman? It seems to me your own bias has left you blinkered and you are blindly making these assertions with little or no evidence to support them whilst at the same time refusing to acknowledge any opposing view.

As for looking closer to home, without wishing to sound as if I'm being personal, the fact you focused solely on the opening comment whilst apparently overlooking the rest of the post makes you appear wilfully obtuse might I suggest engaging your brain before engaging your bias and prejudice?
Whose nerves are touched exactly? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If only you were as loyal to your football club. Sad really.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:18 am

I believe that if no grants funding is made available the season should be nullified, and the league starts the new season in August when and if it transpires that the virus is in check and its safe to do so with fans allowed back, this stop start ,will it won't it is damaging the very core of football integrity, some people are becoming disillusioned with the way the league management has fudged decisions, firstly the abominable grants distribution which has never been fully explained, then saying that the grants were for 3 months when all club clearly were told otherwise, had it been 3 month non of the clubs would have started the season on those terms as is shows by last week's action
And signed letters to the league..Stop the season nullify give proper directions.
Last edited by onewayup on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:34 am

"abdominal grants distribution"

Handing out bits of stomach - no thanks! :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:03 am

Give money out by gut feeling - indigestible idea!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:30 am

I've just got round to listening to D.J's interview on the official site. It's 18 minutes long but worth the effort as a number of questions mentioned above in this thread get answered by him. For one he says that if the season kicks off again it has to be extended, and for two he implies that if the club takes out a loan without knowing how it will pay it back , he could well be breaking the law!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:13 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Old Git wrote:

DJ clearly states if games go ahead and the league and PFA do not introduce testing as in all leagues above us then Darlington Fc will introduce testing. Not hypocritical no question of safety jeopardised DJ very clear and forthright. As always

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:06 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:13 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Old Git wrote:

DJ clearly states if games go ahead and the league and PFA do not introduce testing as in all leagues above us then Darlington Fc will introduce testing. Not hypocritical no question of safety jeopardised DJ very clear and forthright. As always
DJ said that we will fund our own testing IF funding continues from the DCMS/Sport England/National Lottery. This is not currently in place.

I think we should fund it, for this game only, out of our guaranteed prize money.

It will be interesting to see what we do if funding is still not in place by a week on Saturday.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:25 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:06 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Old Git wrote:

DJ said that we will fund our own testing IF funding continues from the DCMS/Sport England/National Lottery. This is not currently in place.

I think we should fund it, for this game only, out of our guaranteed prize money.

It will be interesting to see what we do if funding is still not in place by a week on Saturday.
I don't live in Darlo anymore. But isn't Community testing in place there? Players could surely go as individuals, accepting some/many may not live in the Borough. I have had had 5 tests where I live so far, and some of my friends voluntarily get tested twice a week so why can't the Players?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:04 pm

bga wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:25 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Old Git wrote:

I don't live in Darlo anymore. But isn't Community testing in place there? Players could surely go as individuals, accepting some/many may not live in the Borough. I have had had 5 tests where I live so far, and some of my friends voluntarily get tested twice a week so why can't the Players?
Because the community testing programme is focused on “critical local services & hard to reach communities”.

It may not be seen as appropriate for 30 players & coaching staff to use this service.

However, if it is, then great, we have our answer to the longer-term problem of Covid-19 testing for the 66 clubs in the National League system.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:04 pm
bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Because the community testing programme is focused on “critical local services & hard to reach communities”.

It may not be seen as appropriate for 30 players & coaching staff to use this service.

However, if it is, then great, we have our answer to the longer-term problem of Covid-19 testing for the 66 clubs in the National League system.
The government guidance on community testing also says that authorities should make testing available to those who leave their home for work and can't get asymptomatic testing another way.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

I cannot see the words above anywhere on Darlo Council website unless it is in the small print? Surely the Gov. want as many people as possible tested so if the capacity is there use it. These are individuals first and foremost football is secondary.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:13 pm

Although I take the points raised about whether footballers should use the community testing, but there’s over 250 spots available for testing in the Dolphin Centre tomorrow so there appears to be plenty of capacity.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:14 pm

Great - sounds like we have our long-term solution to the testing issue then.

I look forward to all National League clubs utilising this service on the tax-payer, why didn't the EFL/PFA think of this instead of funding it to the tune of £10k per week?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:16 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:12 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:

The government guidance on community testing also says that authorities should make testing available to those who leave their home for work and can't get asymptomatic testing another way.
Is football a critical service?

I don't think we should utilise them, more-so from a moral point of view rather than some loop-hole in the guidance.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:18 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:13 pm
Although I take the points raised about whether footballers should use the community testing, but there’s over 250 spots available for testing in the Dolphin Centre tomorrow so there appears to be plenty of capacity.
This is a complete no brainer of course our players can and should be using community testing. Don’t understand if there were no arrangements put in place by the NL why our players have not been using the community testing system for the last few weeks. Surely it is there for people who have to go out to work and mix in the community regardless of displaying symptoms.
Whether we should continue playing even with testing is still a debatable point but it seems that it is the issue of finance that is uppermost for most teams. It doesn’t seem that the issue of testing was such a big deal when grants were in place.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:39 pm

I could see the argument for FT players not using community testing and having testing paid for by the club but given our players are PT and most have other jobs why shouldn’t they utilise the community testing just as you or I would?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:46 pm

divas wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:39 pm
I could see the argument for FT players not using community testing and having testing paid for by the club but given our players are PT and most have other jobs why shouldn’t they utilise the community testing just as you or I would?
That depends if they’re doing it under the umbrella of their main employment, or their part-time employment of a footballer.

If 30 players & coaches turn up on a Saturday morning to be tested, or before training, in order to ensure that the players/management haven’t come in to contact with anybody else since the test was carried out, then you would probably say the latter.

It’s more of a question of moral responsibility rather than guidance.

The bigger picture isn’t just this isolated situation, it would set a precedent for other clubs across the country to do the same. That would be tens of thousands of tests utilised between now and the end of May at the tax-payers’ expense.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:02 pm

Well say they’re getting tested due to their main employment, problem solved.

To be fair I just posted in the context of the trophy match, I wasn’t really suggesting it be used for the season because I can’t see a way out of the funding issue.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:02 pm
Well say they’re getting tested due to their main employment, problem solved.
I really don’t think that’s something that will sit comfortably with a few!

The club have taken an applaudable stance regarding health & safety and testing at our level. Let’s not ruin it.