Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Posts: 9339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:38 pm

Very close to a strange stat this season. We almost played as many cup games this season as league games.

League - 11
Cup - 10 (5 FA Cup / 5 FA Trophy)

Darlogramps
Posts: 5484
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:52 pm

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 pm
Old Git wrote:I enjoy being controversial at times so here is a suggestion that might cause some discussion. Release Campbell.
Reason 1. Not really an effective enough striker because of his size. Maguire and Charman look like our most potent strikers when fit and could be the way to go next season.
Reason 2. We have more effective wide men in Sousa and Rivers who have more pace and are better cutting in from the flanks.
Reason 3. Campbell likely to be a high wage earner.
If Holmes can regain his fitness we will be reasonably stocked with wide offensive players. If we can add another physically strong attacker to the squad we should have all options covered.
Campbell was our top scorer last season, with 15 in a curtailed campaign, and 2nd top scorer this season. So I disagree that he’s not effective enough as a striker. He’s also pretty effective at linking up the play as well.

Clearly his preferred role is as a more withdrawn 10 role. He’s not a poacher like Maguire so I don’t think he should be judged as that.

I’d also add that him and Charman are two of our most “sellable” assets. They’re the most likely to be picked up for a fee, along with Sousa, Storey and Hatfield. Worth keeping for that alone.

Interestingly, all of Charman’s goals came in the cups. He didn’t score a single league goal this season.
For me Charman and Sousa are our most saleable assets as both look to have the potential to play at a higher level. Campbell did well last season but has looked a bit lost this time around. Unfortunately he has neither a physical presence or great pace. He does link play up but I beginning to think he is a bit of a luxury at this level of football.
Will always remember his 2 goals at Swindon but that apart struggling to remember him having much of an impact in most games. Not sure there would be a lengthy cue of clubs from a higher level looking to sign him.
Don’t agree at all. I think he’s actually one of our most consistent performers, more so than Maguire, Sousa and Rivers. Certainly don’t recognise that he’s looked lost, or is a luxury player.

Sousa is a luxury player because of how he blows hot and cold. When he’s hot, he’s devastatingly good. But when he’s marked out of the game he’s just dead weight for the team to carry

Would agree Sousa and Charman would be more likely to be picked up higher up the pyramid, but let’s say Campbell has another 15-20 goal season (and he had six already with 30 plus games to go this time out). Could definitely see a team higher up coming in for him. It was part of the reason he joined in the first place.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97
Posts: 4674
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:58 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:33 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 pm
Old Git wrote:I enjoy being controversial at times so here is a suggestion that might cause some discussion. Release Campbell.
Reason 1. Not really an effective enough striker because of his size. Maguire and Charman look like our most potent strikers when fit and could be the way to go next season.
Reason 2. We have more effective wide men in Sousa and Rivers who have more pace and are better cutting in from the flanks.
Reason 3. Campbell likely to be a high wage earner.
If Holmes can regain his fitness we will be reasonably stocked with wide offensive players. If we can add another physically strong attacker to the squad we should have all options covered.
Campbell was our top scorer last season, with 15 in a curtailed campaign, and 2nd top scorer this season. So I disagree that he’s not effective enough as a striker. He’s also pretty effective at linking up the play as well.

Clearly his preferred role is as a more withdrawn 10 role. He’s not a poacher like Maguire so I don’t think he should be judged as that.

I’d also add that him and Charman are two of our most “sellable” assets. They’re the most likely to be picked up for a fee, along with Sousa, Storey and Hatfield. Worth keeping for that alone.

Interestingly, all of Charman’s goals came in the cups. He didn’t score a single league goal this season.
For me Charman and Sousa are our most saleable assets as both look to have the potential to play at a higher level. Campbell did well last season but has looked a bit lost this time around. Unfortunately he has neither a physical presence or great pace. He does link play up but I beginning to think he is a bit of a luxury at this level of football.
Will always remember his 2 goals at Swindon but that apart struggling to remember him having much of an impact in most games. Not sure there would be a lengthy cue of clubs from a higher level looking to sign him.
You lost me when you said Campbell does not have great pace!

He reached 6 goals (only 1 pen) and 5 assists this season, plus he missed a few games through a hamstring injury. That is "having an impact", I would say.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4674
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:03 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:52 pm
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 pm
Old Git wrote:I enjoy being controversial at times so here is a suggestion that might cause some discussion. Release Campbell.
Reason 1. Not really an effective enough striker because of his size. Maguire and Charman look like our most potent strikers when fit and could be the way to go next season.
Reason 2. We have more effective wide men in Sousa and Rivers who have more pace and are better cutting in from the flanks.
Reason 3. Campbell likely to be a high wage earner.
If Holmes can regain his fitness we will be reasonably stocked with wide offensive players. If we can add another physically strong attacker to the squad we should have all options covered.
Campbell was our top scorer last season, with 15 in a curtailed campaign, and 2nd top scorer this season. So I disagree that he’s not effective enough as a striker. He’s also pretty effective at linking up the play as well.

Clearly his preferred role is as a more withdrawn 10 role. He’s not a poacher like Maguire so I don’t think he should be judged as that.

I’d also add that him and Charman are two of our most “sellable” assets. They’re the most likely to be picked up for a fee, along with Sousa, Storey and Hatfield. Worth keeping for that alone.

Interestingly, all of Charman’s goals came in the cups. He didn’t score a single league goal this season.
For me Charman and Sousa are our most saleable assets as both look to have the potential to play at a higher level. Campbell did well last season but has looked a bit lost this time around. Unfortunately he has neither a physical presence or great pace. He does link play up but I beginning to think he is a bit of a luxury at this level of football.
Will always remember his 2 goals at Swindon but that apart struggling to remember him having much of an impact in most games. Not sure there would be a lengthy cue of clubs from a higher level looking to sign him.
Don’t agree at all. I think he’s actually one of our most consistent performers, more so than Maguire, Sousa and Rivers. Certainly don’t recognise that he’s looked lost, or is a luxury player.

Sousa is a luxury player because of how he blows hot and cold. When he’s hot, he’s devastatingly good. But when he’s marked out of the game he’s just dead weight for the team to carry

Would agree Sousa and Charman would be more likely to be picked up higher up the pyramid, but let’s say Campbell has another 15-20 goal season (and he had six already with 30 plus games to go this time out). Could definitely see a team higher up coming in for him. It was part of the reason he joined in the first place.
Disagree that Sousa is a deadweight when marked out of the game.

Yes, he gave the ball away yesterday that led to their first goal, however he does track back and gets stuck in. He also opens up other areas of the pitch when he is double-marked.

He has blown hot more times than cold this season and is genuinely exiting to watch. One of the first names on the team-sheet, IMO.

Quakerlad
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:36 pm

Unusual for Darlogramps and I to agree but there is no way Campbell should be released. His best position is behind the striker which he has hardly played this season. His vision and movement is sometimes at a higher level than the others and got him into some fantastic positions last year. Our players sometimes don’t even see the runs he makes!
Unless McGuire gets himself consistently fit then Charmen and Campbell for me next season.

Having said that, Charmen, Campbell, McGuire, Sousa, Rivers and Holmes if all fit makes the squad Unbalanced.

I’m not saying we have to give up playing the good football that we all enjoy but in my opinion the biggest change AA needs to make is to increase our physicality across the team.
Yesterday I reckon we had probably 3 players 6ft+ and many about 5’9. Love it or loathe it, at our level physical strong players make up a fair part of successful teams. All of our successful teams since reforming have had a base of these type of players ( brown, white, burgess, Scott, Armstrong, Galbraith , Thompson etc). Some are not the most gifted technically but gave us real backbone. I actually don’t think we really have any in this current squad and it shows.
Wait and see I guess.

Old Git
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:40 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:36 pm
Unusual for Darlogramps and I to agree but there is no way Campbell should be released. His best position is behind the striker which he has hardly played this season. His vision and movement is sometimes at a higher level than the others and got him into some fantastic positions last year. Our players sometimes don’t even see the runs he makes!
Unless McGuire gets himself consistently fit then Charmen and Campbell for me next season.

Having said that, Charmen, Campbell, McGuire, Sousa, Rivers and Holmes if all fit makes the squad Unbalanced.

I’m not saying we have to give up playing the good football that we all enjoy but in my opinion the biggest change AA needs to make is to increase our physicality across the team.
Yesterday I reckon we had probably 3 players 6ft+ and many about 5’9. Love it or loathe it, at our level physical strong players make up a fair part of successful teams. All of our successful teams since reforming have had a base of these type of players ( brown, white, burgess, Scott, Armstrong, Galbraith , Thompson etc). Some are not the most gifted technically but gave us real backbone. I actually don’t think we really have any in this current squad and it shows.
Wait and see I guess.
Very much agree with you regarding the lack of physicality in our team. A strong spine through the middle of the team is a must for me. Brown White and Scott may not have been the best footballers we have ever had but were hard to pass. We seem to lack something in that department with the present squad.
Also agree Campbell’s best position is behind the main striker which he has hardly played this season. There is a reason for that and it is because it doesn’t suit the style of play in this League. That is why I said he is possibly a luxury as at times as we are shoehorning him into the team in roles that are not possibly where he is best. No doubt he has ability but what I am suggesting is that maybe we let him go and replace him with a more traditional type of centre forward who could feed of crosses from our wide men.

H1987
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:02 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:36 pm

Having said that, Charmen, Campbell, McGuire, Sousa, Rivers and Holmes if all fit makes the squad Unbalanced.
Agree to some extent. For me, Holmes (as harsh as that is) needs to be the one to go. If two, the second one would probably be McGuire.

Of course, you'd maybe reconsider that if one of Charman or Sousa get picked up by one of the leagues above, which I wouldn't discount as a possibility.

Lallacab
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Lallacab » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:56 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:02 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:36 pm

Having said that, Charmen, Campbell, McGuire, Sousa, Rivers and Holmes if all fit makes the squad Unbalanced.
Agree to some extent. For me, Holmes (as harsh as that is) needs to be the one to go. If two, the second one would probably be McGuire.

Of course, you'd maybe reconsider that if one of Charman or Sousa get picked up by one of the leagues above, which I wouldn't discount as a possibility.

I disagree , I think it’s imperative we have 6 players for the 4 forward positions. I would think that AA will continue with the 442 system we ended the season with, or he could go back to his 4231 which again we would need 6 players for the 4 positions so we have the ability change a game with a sub

Wiseacre
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:27 pm

:think: I understand why we're thinking about 'saleable' assets but doesn't that undercut any progress we might make? If those names mentioned moved on what are we left with? As far as I can see the adjustments required in this Quaker side are at the back and in midfield. It must be very difficult for AA to whistle up a tough centre back and a ball winner at our level but unless he can it's hard to see us improving. So, hang on to our flair players up front otherwise we'll end up with weaknesses at both ends. One of a number of good things I think Armstrong has done is turn us into a cup team and this is a better wat to generate income than selling. It was disappointing to lose yesterday but we've done well in the cups. Also, I believe the lack of a noisy crowd hampers the home team much more than the visitors - a full house of 2000 would have made all the difference in my view. Could the team have done so well at Walsall without all that energy coming to them from the fans?
PS. If Notts draw Hornchurch they won't be scoring any more goals like yesterdays, I think they'll get beat.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4967
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:30 pm

The thought occurs that there are a number of players in our team that none of us have seen play live. Maguire sticks out as not catching the eye or producing, but I've not seen him so it might be unfair to judge him in this way. I've seen him play for other teams but I'm not including this.

Campbell is a great little player and needs to be kept hold of.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlogramps
Posts: 5484
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:38 pm

Wiseacre wrote::think: I understand why we're thinking about 'saleable' assets but doesn't that undercut any progress we might make? If those names mentioned moved on what are we left with? As far as I can see the adjustments required in this Quaker side are at the back and in midfield. It must be very difficult for AA to whistle up a tough centre back and a ball winner at our level but unless he can it's hard to see us improving. So, hang on to our flair players up front otherwise we'll end up with weaknesses at both ends. One of a number of good things I think Armstrong has done is turn us into a cup team and this is a better wat to generate income than selling. It was disappointing to lose yesterday but we've done well in the cups. Also, I believe the lack of a noisy crowd hampers the home team much more than the visitors - a full house of 2000 would have made all the difference in my view. Could the team have done so well at Walsall without all that energy coming to them from the fans?
PS. If Notts draw Hornchurch they won't be scoring any more goals like yesterdays, I think they'll get beat.
That’s the nature of being a part-time non-league club with not much money. If a club comes in with a good offer for a player, it’s nearly impossible to turn down. Remember Dan Burn? We would have gone bust six or seven years ago had it not been for those clauses.

AA’s job is to find replacements, and he’s shown he can. We sold Donawa for a fee, and replaced him with Sousa.

If someone comes in with a good offer Charman, for example, we aren’t going to reject it. Plus he would want to play higher up the leagues. So the idea we shouldn’t sell when good bids come in, and cross our fingers for a cup run, is naive.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97
Posts: 4674
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:28 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:40 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:36 pm
Unusual for Darlogramps and I to agree but there is no way Campbell should be released. His best position is behind the striker which he has hardly played this season. His vision and movement is sometimes at a higher level than the others and got him into some fantastic positions last year. Our players sometimes don’t even see the runs he makes!
Unless McGuire gets himself consistently fit then Charmen and Campbell for me next season.

Having said that, Charmen, Campbell, McGuire, Sousa, Rivers and Holmes if all fit makes the squad Unbalanced.

I’m not saying we have to give up playing the good football that we all enjoy but in my opinion the biggest change AA needs to make is to increase our physicality across the team.
Yesterday I reckon we had probably 3 players 6ft+ and many about 5’9. Love it or loathe it, at our level physical strong players make up a fair part of successful teams. All of our successful teams since reforming have had a base of these type of players ( brown, white, burgess, Scott, Armstrong, Galbraith , Thompson etc). Some are not the most gifted technically but gave us real backbone. I actually don’t think we really have any in this current squad and it shows.
Wait and see I guess.
Very much agree with you regarding the lack of physicality in our team. A strong spine through the middle of the team is a must for me. Brown White and Scott may not have been the best footballers we have ever had but were hard to pass. We seem to lack something in that department with the present squad.
Also agree Campbell’s best position is behind the main striker which he has hardly played this season. There is a reason for that and it is because it doesn’t suit the style of play in this League. That is why I said he is possibly a luxury as at times as we are shoehorning him into the team in roles that are not possibly where he is best. No doubt he has ability but what I am suggesting is that maybe we let him go and replace him with a more traditional type of centre forward who could feed of crosses from our wide men.
Surely the fact that Campbell has *checks notes* 19 goals and 10+ assists in 43 NLN matches proves that he is actually suited to this level?

I’d understand it if he had no end product, but he is actually quite good and isn’t the problem with this side.

Charman, Maguire, Sousa, Campbell & Rivers is an excellent pool of forwards/wingers at this level. It’s goalkeeper & defence where we could improve.

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:30 am

I remember my lad being unimpressed with Campbell watching him at Altrincham then he popped up with a superb 94th minute equaliser. 97's figures are impressive and if all our strikers scored almost one in two we'd be well up the table. He always gives 100% and helps out all over the pitch. I think he's be even better feeding off a big tough centre forward.

Old Git
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Old Git » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:53 am

If we have such an excellent pool of offensive players why are we struggling to score more goals at home. Apart from Blyth and Wealdstone we have struggled against decent defences. Far too simplistic to say improve our defence and all will be well. AA needs to look at the whole picture and assess the strengths and weaknesses of the whole squad. Perhaps too many pretty footballers and not enough muscle overall for the league we are in.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4967
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:06 pm

Good point O.G. as illustrated by the way Boston overpowered us.

We're not as lightweight as Tommy's team but we do need more muscle and at least one Leon Scott type player.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2232
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:22 pm

Old Git wrote:If we have such an excellent pool of offensive players why are we struggling to score more goals at home. Apart from Blyth and Wealdstone we have struggled against decent defences. Far too simplistic to say improve our defence and all will be well. AA needs to look at the whole picture and assess the strengths and weaknesses of the whole squad. Perhaps too many pretty footballers and not enough muscle overall for the league we are in.
Pretty much agree OG, thought they out muscled us on Saturday and won the majority of 50/50 balls.We need more physicality in the team without a doubt but still feel the priority is at the back.Quite a few are too harsh on Saltmer imo, he is only a young lad who will get better so I am not one of those wanting him released and I would retain him.However I think we need 3 new defenders as a priority

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


eddie-rowles
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:31 pm

Sousa is a luxury player because of how he blows hot and cold. When he’s hot, he’s devastatingly good. But when he’s marked out of the game he’s just dead weight for the team to carry

Would agree Sousa and Charman would be more likely to be picked up higher up the pyramid, but let’s say Campbell has another 15-20 goal season (and he had six already with 30 plus games to go this time out). Could definitely see a team higher up coming in for him. It was part of the reason he joined in the first place.
[/quote]

Disagree that Sousa is a deadweight when marked out of the game.

Yes, he gave the ball away yesterday that led to their first goal, however he does track back and gets stuck in. He also opens up other areas of the pitch when he is double-marked.

He has blown hot more times than cold this season and is genuinely exiting to watch. One of the first names on the team-sheet, IMO.
[/quote]

its great how we all see players differently. Charman, Campbell , Rivers & Maquire keep but see if we can find a Beck or Armstrong type forward (has to be local northern or evostick as cannot afford ) because when we resort to hoof the ball, highly unlikely will get a head to it or hold it up.
Sousa is a great player to keep but I always notice him jumping out of tackles or not going for the ball if a big lad is steaming in despite him closer. If AA could get him to improve along with looking up(or he thinks no one else can score?), he would be playing in the FL soon.
Hunt keep if he will take a salary drop next season.
Same as Laing many fans rave about his 50 yds passes but I see 50% going into touch or him preferring to shadow a player as opposed to tackling not good enough. Storey okay but obviously something going on between him and AA so better to let him go.
Mcmahon adequate but prefer Hedley, would like some improvement at RB since Luke T left so if one to go, likely they keep academy coach.
Atkinson away to Chester confirmed not good enough only making completed passes behind him and again jumping tackles nothing changed this season.
Liddle good engine fully committed but goes wandering and a good winger or forward easily drifts in behind him Watson better reader of game but lacks pace, keep one and find another.
Holnes keep if available; Hudson, Reid, Holmes move on.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2232
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:42 pm

No way will Laing or Holmes be leaving.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Old Git
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Old Git » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:22 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:42 pm
No way will Laing or Holmes be leaving.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Hopefully Holmes will be fit for pre season and he can prove his fitness and earn a new contract. We can not afford to offer anything long term until he does which is fair enough given his injury record.
Laing is a tough one as he is unlikely to be fit until around Christmas time. I would expect the club to help with his rehabilitation but not sure if he will be on a contract.

H1987
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by H1987 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Well no one is going to take either of them, but also, I don't think i'd be offering either of them much of a contract. I know Holmes has had rotten luck and I feel for him, but he's ultimately played next to no football in two years while we've paid his salary. It's not a good argument for paying him a bit more. I'd imagine he will be on reduced terms, if he's back at all. It'll depend on who is available.

Laing will probably return i'd think, as a squad player. I don't think I want to see him starting regularly to be honest.

Darlo_Rob
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:43 pm

Probably very little chance of getting him, but James Spencer from Farsley would solve our centre forward issue. Great in the air, strong, hard working and would be the presence we're currently lacking. We would however probably go to a long ball team overnight.

lo36789
Posts: 9339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:44 pm

Are the highlights posted yet? Trying to watch this Hatfield incident and can't find it.

Can't beat getting off on a technicality. Armstrong seemed to suggest it was probably a second yellow just not a straight red but we are able to appeal a straight red.

Old Git
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Old Git » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:14 pm

Excellent news that Will Hatfield has had his red card rescinded. Would not have been a good start to next season to have the skipper missing for first 3 matches.

bga
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by bga » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Lots of interesting points in this thread though technically it should be renamed? Surely the starting point for this is which players contracts are up at the end of this season and which had 2 year contacts at the start of the season. I can't see AA offloading any player who's still going to be in contract next season. Does anyone have the definitive list anywhere?

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2232
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:19 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:Probably very little chance of getting him, but James Spencer from Farsley would solve our centre forward issue. Great in the air, strong, hard working and would be the presence we're currently lacking. We would however probably go to a long ball team overnight.
AA made enquiries about him last close season, wouldn't be surprised if he followed this up again particularly after his repeated comments about missed chances.
Would be a cracking signing if this came off.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


bga
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by bga » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:21 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:44 pm
u
Are the highlights posted yet? Trying to watch this Hatfield incident and can't find it.

Can't beat getting off on a technicality. Armstrong seemed to suggest it was probably a second yellow just not a straight red but we are able to appeal a straight red.
Lo your work here is done goodnight

Darlofan97
Posts: 4674
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:39 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:42 pm
No way will Laing or Holmes be leaving.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Maybe not leave fully, but it will be very hard to justify giving both contracts in the summer given Laing will be out until the New Year and Holmes has suffered the same serious knee injury twice.

I am confident both will be around throughout their rehabilitation and return to training, just not on a contract.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 pm

bga wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:21 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:44 pm
u
Are the highlights posted yet? Trying to watch this Hatfield incident and can't find it.

Can't beat getting off on a technicality. Armstrong seemed to suggest it was probably a second yellow just not a straight red but we are able to appeal a straight red.
Lo your work here is done goodnight
His work isn't done. I'd like to know if he has a justification for the referee not adding on a second more of the minimum of 5 minutes injury time given that there was a 2 minute stoppage within the 5 minutes.

lo36789
Posts: 9339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:22 pm

No idea - should have been added on if that was the case. Hard to really comment blind.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Hornchurch Trophy Quarter Final

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:22 pm
No idea - should have been added on if that was the case. Hard to really comment blind.
Thanks. Thought he was incompetent. Just our luck to get him. Did you see the penalty turned down for handball?

Post Reply