Mission Impossible - Mission Accomplished!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

beatroute66
Team Supported: Darlington

Mission Impossible - Mission Accomplished!

Post by beatroute66 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:58 am

“At its peak Mission Impossible was selling between 800 and 1,000 copies on average gates of 2,500, which was a phenomenal take-up rate…”

For those of a certain age, Mission Impossible was as integral to 90s-era Darlo as Feethams, Hodgy and Dugald McCarrison’s loan spell.

Steve Harland tells YOURCLUB Content all about those pre-internet fanzine days of offering an alternative view of Darlington FC...

▶️ https://yourclub.darlingtonfc.co.uk/yc- ... complished

PS. Remember to sign in to your YOURCLUB account to read it... 👍

spen666

Re: Mission Impossible - Mission Accomplished!

Post by spen666 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 pm

Fanzines were a fantastic part of the football culture in 1980S / 1990s

Shame they faded away, over taken by social media.

Selling 1000 copies to crowds of 2500 is an uptake rate most football club can only dream over with programmes or other publications

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:56 pm

spen666 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 pm
Fanzines were a fantastic part of the football culture in 1980S / 1990s

Shame they faded away, over taken by social media.

Selling 1000 copies to crowds of 2500 is an uptake rate most football club can only dream over with programmes or other publications
He’s right!

Love MI back in the day

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:46 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:58 am
“At its peak Mission Impossible was selling between 800 and 1,000 copies on average gates of 2,500, which was a phenomenal take-up rate…”

For those of a certain age, Mission Impossible was as integral to 90s-era Darlo as Feethams, Hodgy and Dugald McCarrison’s loan spell.

Steve Harland tells YOURCLUB Content all about those pre-internet fanzine days of offering an alternative view of Darlington FC...

▶️ https://yourclub.darlingtonfc.co.uk/yc- ... complished

PS. Remember to sign in to your YOURCLUB account to read it... 👍
MI's importance to exiles like me in the pre-internet days cannot be overstated. I'd have known next to nothing about the club without it. I used to have every single issue - lost to one too many house moves, sadly.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:16 am

Still got all my issues of MI in the loft - loved it. Some of the features were comedy genius - ‘Steve Morgon’s diary’ stands out in particular

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:48 am

I tweeted about this yesterday as I was thinking about when I first read MI in (very) late-1989/early-1990:

"I had just turned 12 when I bought my first copy of Mission Impossible. It had it all for me - alt comedy, satire, obscure music references and a totally alternative take on my new obsession..."

And this is totally true. MI was talking about football/DFC in a very new way to me - ie, not like a football programme would or something you'd hear on the TV at that time - and it was putting Vic Reeves on the cover, using 60s/70s song titles as paragraph sub-headers and so on.

I remember buying one off Steve one time and he said: "Oh, you'll like this one in particular..." and I wondered what he meant. I then noticed when flicking through that there was loads of references to The Who, The Small Faces, The Jam, etc, all the way through it. Brilliant.

And, I won't have realised at the time (when I was 12/13, I mean), but the satire and political leanings were where I'd get to a few years later.

Sometimes I wish I'd been 25/30/35/40 in age when MI was in it's prime and sometimes I'm glad I was only 12/13 when I first got my head into it as it was undoubtedly the shape of things to come.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:57 pm

I picked up many fan's mag's from all divisions and all levels round the country.
We were truly blessed with MI. (MY opinion),.
No-one else had an effort that came anywhere close for the news info, comedy. and the sheer ability to take all adversity in it's stride and make positives of whatever bomb exploded next.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 pm

Wasn’t it also MI that invented the ‘Steve MacMahon worst player of the year award’ - winner of which was....Steve MacMahon!