George Reynolds

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

George Reynolds

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 pm

I notice Craig Stoddart just retweeted something with him saying RIP?

Has he finally shuffled off to a warmer place?

onewayup

Re: George Reynolds

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:26 pm

Yep, George has turned his last trick.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:27 pm

From paul goffy:
Sad news re George Reynolds today - the passing of a generation. Those days with George on Century Radio were the best fun ever. I have also loved our lengthy chats in recent weeks via the phone. Rest in peace George ⚽️
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:30 pm

Rip george reynolds. A controversial character who ruffled a few feathers to say the least but he wont be forgotton, sadly for mostly the wrong reasons. The interview on sky sports with team is something i wont forget;
https://youtu.be/7Yg1HQevCBE
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:00 pm

I can't eulogise about him I'm afraid. He was a bully and a crook. It's a shame for his friends and family, but forgive me if I don't join in with any fond memories of his time as chairman.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlogramps

George Reynolds

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:01 pm

If it is true, and not another Forster-esque con, then I won’t sink to the level of celebrating his death but certainly won’t be mourning him either.

He shouldn’t be remembered as “a character”. He was a criminal, a thug and a narcissist.

He shouldn’t be compared to Singh or Houghton, all of them were rotten charlatans with their own self-interest. But the damage Reynolds did during his tenure still affects the club even today.

Certainly won’t be missed as far as I’m concerned.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:17 pm

He was certainly a one off, it's amazing that he managed to get as far as he did in life, considering how he started life. I don't think too many will be sorry to see him leave this world. But condolences to his family. RIP

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:01 pm
If it is true, and not another Forster-esque con, then I won’t sink to the level of celebrating his death but certainly won’t be mourning him either.

He shouldn’t be remembered as “a character”. He was a criminal, a thug and a narcissist.

He shouldn’t be compared to Singh or Houghton, all of them were rotten charlatans with their own self-interest. But the damage Reynolds did during his tenure still affects the club even today.

Its true, goffy broke the news and hes one of georges best pals

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm

He could be accused of many things but being dull wasn't one of them.

Farewell George, I only wish your ego hadn't ran away with you.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Henley

Post by Henley » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:09 pm

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:37 pm

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 18074.html
Players walking out or Tino gone AWOL that was George with his scarf and his escalators
RIP Mr Reynolds you said "in five years Darlington would play in the premier league" unfortunately most fans didn't think Evostick premier.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:51 pm

Roughly what Gramps said. He was a nasty piece of work and a bully. I’m sure it was only last year he was in the papers for threatening a local female councillor. Says it all about him. A thug to the end. Mind you, given the size of him based on the photos I last saw, I’m amazed he made it as far as he did.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:06 pm

"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:25 pm

OMG ! First of all Prince Philip, now George Reynolds & neither will get a state funeral

murtonquakerfan

Post by murtonquakerfan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:46 pm

Cant remember who told me or whether it is true, but I once heard a story that Reynolds only bought Darlington after failed attempts at investing in Sunderland with Bob Murray blocking him everything as Reynolds was apparently a Sunderland...

And also when he built The Arena, DBC officials s*** on him from a great height when it come to his plans for the Arena, the Council would effetively block him from holding Computer Fairs, Wedding Fairs, Car Boot Sales and Concerts etc

I won't shed a tear for or mourn George Reynolds, but I can't see many tears being shed by anyone connected to DFC

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:11 pm

Maybe just as well we are not playing at the moment - can you imagine the response if someone suggested we hold a minutes silence for our former chairman.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:39 pm

Christ. I'd never read that before. The depressing part of it all is that I'm not even surprised. An utterly rancid human being. Anyone who thinks 'he's a bit of a character' should really read any of the numerous accounts of his behaviour like this.

Piggy_

Post by Piggy_ » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:42 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Very well put. Slightly bemused by a fair few paying their respects online. He was a bully who treated people appallingly. I notice the clubs official social channels haven’t put out anything on his passing , which speaks volumes.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:32 am

Why do the Press always link GR to the fact he was chairman of DFC when no mention of Direct Worktops & other failed enterprises?

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:00 am

Because someone owning a chipboard factory is not newsworthy, but someone who has generated dozens of football-related stories they can pull from the archives is.

Good riddance to a horrible man who gave plenty Darlo fans a great deal of grief, in many cases directly.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:18 am

According to his mate Mike Amos, we Darlo fans may just be a bunch of ungrateful wretches:

"He became Darlington FC chairman with the best intentions, invested millions just to keep the club solvent and a great deal more on what became the 25,000-capacity Reynolds Arena, on the edge of town. If it represented the actions of a megalomaniac, if it were a gilt trip – as Midas man might supose – he deserved a great deal more credit than many Darlington followers have ever afforded him."

Amos says he speaks as he finds and people should be "forever grateful" for GR's "long and unique life".

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:18 am
According to his mate Mike Amos, we Darlo fans may just be a bunch of ungrateful wretches:

"He became Darlington FC chairman with the best intentions, invested millions just to keep the club solvent and a great deal more on what became the 25,000-capacity Reynolds Arena, on the edge of town. If it represented the actions of a megalomaniac, if it were a gilt trip – as Midas man might supose – he deserved a great deal more credit than many Darlington followers have ever afforded him."
Wow.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:27 pm

LoidLucan wrote:

Amos says he speaks as he finds and people should be "forever grateful" for GR's "long and unique life".
Myopia & selective memory from Mike Amos. Now awaiting his thoughts on the restructuring of NL pyramid. Cue another rabìd rant.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:35 pm

What an absolute throbber Amos is. This was already abundantly clear from how he dealt with various issues during our one-year stint in his 'home-for-tea, win-the-vase' memorial pisspot trophy.

I did not know he and GR were chums too. But fair play, through this he has further cemented his place in the Elite Cockwomble tier.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:51 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:27 pm
LoidLucan wrote:

Myopia & selective memory from Mike Amos. Now awaiting his thoughts on the restructuring of NL pyramid. Cue another rabìd rant.
Already mentioned it
https://mikeamosblog.wordpress.com/2021 ... ootball-0/

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:15 pm

Cheers Shildonlad, much as I expected!🤪

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:34 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:51 pm
Already mentioned it
https://mikeamosblog.wordpress.com/2021 ... ootball-0/
That is even more bizarre

"Already, it may be recalled, the FA had decreed that there would be a new Step 4 league in the north and that, despite a compelling, comprehensive and finely argued proposal from the Ebac Northern League – now at steps 5 and 6 – the new division would be run by the Northern Premier League."

But is the nub of his problem. He wanted to expand his control he wanted to run the new division. I can't understand why he'd want a step 4 division mind...they are not eligible for the vase...

If teams don't want promotion per the new system they can decline.

Darlogramps

George Reynolds

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Amos is, was and always will be a pompous bore, more interested in backslapping his mates than wanting the best for the clubs. It’s no surprise he’s crawling right up Reynolds’ backside.

He’s always had it in for Darlington fans, calling us “paranoid” during our spell in the Northern League. He made it pretty clear he didn’t want us in the division.

All he was ever interested in during his Northern League tenure was turning it into a nice, chummy, back-slapping old boy’s club, where he and a select group of his mates got a grand day out to Wembley each year.

If Tubbs and Edward from the League of Gentlemen were football administrators, they’d be like Mike Amos. Wanting to keep everything “local” and making sure no one ever leaves. Substitute Royston Vasey for the Northern League and you get the picture.

Since Amos toddled off, the Northern League has rejoined the real world with clubs actively wanting to be promoted.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:37 pm

If Tubbs and Edward from the League of Gentlemen were football administrators, they’d be like Mike Amos. Wanting to keep everything “local” and making sure no one ever leaves. Substitute Royston Vasey for the Northern League and you get the picture.
:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:33 pm

Slightly off topic but mike amos’s main gripe with compulsory promotion was that the northern league would be decimated and the leagues below. The fact is clubs at the same level in other parts of the country have lost there best clubs alot over the years, clubs do want to step up from wearside league like darlington town and the wearside league is hardly short of clubs