6 players leave

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

6 players leave

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 am

Atky, Lidds, Watson,Reid but more surprisingly Campbell and McGuire. The official site says they have 'Left for other clubs'.
Interesting to see who they go to.

Darlogramps

Re: 6 players leave

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 03, 2021 11:35 am

Big change for Armstrong as well, five of those are his Blyth contingent.

Very surprised about Campbell and Maguire but as you say, it’ll be interesting to see where they go, although we’ve probably already got a fair idea.

Charman has agreed an extension though which is good news.

Much more change than expected this summer.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:38 am

Shame about Liddle, Campbell and McGuire.

Hopefully we get another Charman or two from the release lists.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon May 03, 2021 11:45 am

If this is the list of players going to other clubs, then does that mean that we still have further players who will be released?

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon May 03, 2021 11:49 am

I would guess these are players we have offered a contract to but they have rejected it probably due to a better offer from elsewhere.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:52 am

Potentially, I would say so. You'd be surprised to see saltmer stick about, same perhaps for hunt, although I'd have nothing against either staying.

Very disappointed to see Campbell go in particular. We've also lost some players who cover a number of positions there - Reid and Atkinson have both played a lot of positions, and Watson has been really important as cover for both full backs.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 am

D_F_C wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:45 am
If this is the list of players going to other clubs, then does that mean that we still have further players who will be released?
Probably. The worry in all this is if they go to other NE clubs for silly money then it's a sign that going forward we'll struggle to compete financially with the others. AA has a reputation for signing players for whom money is a motivation, but not the ultimate motivation, in other words our budget is big enough to still draw these sorts of players. If this is only going to get worse then the only way to compete at the top is to go down the hybrid route. MG in 2017 said that to compete at the top then you need a budget of ca. 400k. With all the money swilling around then that may be nearer 500k now and the harsh reality from next year may be that BTB will need to pull in nearer 200k to have a chance of promotion with other revenue streams exhausted. Keep playing those Euromillions everyone.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 03, 2021 11:59 am

Liddle is a good player with good a attitude, sorry to see him go, and I'm surprised if A.A didn't want Campbell to stay.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Well that wasn't expected . A big rebuilding job for alun I think he will be surprised at losing some of these players
Hopefully he has replacement players lineup.
Going to be difficult if we can't get the budget up to and past the target. Really hope alun has the right players in sight.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon May 03, 2021 12:34 pm

Could also be that in normal times these players would't leave to get more money, and this is short term gains on their part to cover losses made from their other employment due to the pandemic. Players who normally would be a bit more loyal are abandoning their normal stance due to these circumstances.
Another interesting point is that the story about 6 players leaving isn't even a headline on the official site. It's buried among the "Charman extends contract" story.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Mon May 03, 2021 12:37 pm

I always thought that AA had a years option on all players apart from Hatfield who had a two year deal ?

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm

We've probably offered them reduced wages which would negate any option we may have had.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:07 pm

Not too concerned about this, as we will have targets to replace these guys...

Campbell - probably the most gifted player to leave but ultimately needed 50 chances to score 1. One of our biggest problems in the last 2 seasons has been that we created tonnes of chances every match and blobbed most of them. As well as conceding soft goals at the other end.

Maguire - is the one I'm most disappointed to see leave after all of the chasing we did, all of the fanfare when he signed, and we never really got to see much of him due to injuries and a curtailed season. On previous reputation alone a big loss, but in reality it's 2 or 3 years since he did anything.

Atkinson - AA built him up to be the best player in the world (he's not, Sousa is) but he was constantly injured. Did show flashes, but if he's never fit then we're not losing out.

Liddle - a likeable, OK player, but IMO not actually that great a defender. We could probably replace with someone equally as good with not too much trouble.

Watson - utility player, did his best, Evostik level player. If we want to be top 7 then we need better.

Reid - See Watson.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Sad to see Campbell leave, technically the best player at the club in my opinion. Will have been the scorer of or provider for most of our goals over the last couple of seasons. But not irreplaceable and was struggling slightly to fit into the systems we were playing last season especially when Sousa and Rivers were both in form. Be interesting to see whether it's Gateshead or South Shields for him. Cant imagine any of the others would put in a better offer than we would.

For the others, Liddle, I always liked his attitude and application but think his first season was far stronger than his second. Got beaten positionally too many times in the season just gone.

Maguire and Atkinson showed in flashes what they could do, but unfortunately injuries meant we didn't see much more than that. Not particularly sad to lose either as I think for the games they've played they would have been on a decent wage. Will be interesting to see where Maguire goes, anyone paying big money in wages is taking a risk based on the number of games he's managed over the last couple of years and would Spenny want him if they have Taylor and Mulhern?

I think the likes Watson and Reid were never going to be more than squad players, and for those players it's a choice. Drop levels to play regularly or stay at a higher level and fill gaps as and when. Can see them dropping down at least a league maybe 2 for some regular football.

As others have said once you add other potential released players to those that are going elsewhere then its turning into a sizable summer overhaul. Albeit we have a good spine still in Storey, Hatfield, Wheatley and Charman with Rivers and Sousa down either flank. But I think AA's right, there will be lots of players released again this summer and plenty of options for us to go after.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:07 pm
Maguire - is the one I'm most disappointed to see leave after all of the chasing we did, all of the fanfare when he signed, and we never really got to see much of him due to injuries and a curtailed season. On previous reputation alone a big loss, but in reality it's 2 or 3 years since he did anything.

We never saw him at all did we? Only on TV and he didn't look that sharp.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:35 pm

I don't think Watson will be chasing too regular football as he can only play so much without risking injury. I thought that was why he was happy with us.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon May 03, 2021 3:33 pm

Lidds will be biggest miss and Campbell always put in a shift, but TBH would like to see some bigger bods capable of winning headers and holding up the ball. AA has an eye for decent footballers so I think he must have replacements in mind already as he would not have let them go.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Some serious “I never fancied her anyway” vibes from a couple on this thread.

Campbell and Maguire leaving is a blow. Campbell for my money was our best player in the last two seasons, and if I’m honest, better than the NLN.

Maguire meanwhile is proven scorer at this level. Had injury issues no doubt, but showed what he was capable of last season.

I think comments about Liddle being better first season than second are fair. Would also agree on Reid and Watson although their versatility will be a miss. Not fussed about Atkinson leaving as we didn’t see a great deal from him in his two years.

Probably more departures to come as well - there’ve got to be question marks around Hunt and Saltmer I would say.

But it will be interesting to see who AA brings in. Clearly his tactic is to pick up released players from the Big Three and give them a platform back into the professional game.

But for the first time in his managerial career AA is without his trusted Blyth contingent.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Mon May 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Sad to see Campbell and Liddle going but let’s hope we bring in better
Last edited by comeondarlo on Mon May 03, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon May 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:35 pm
Some serious “I never fancied her anyway” vibes from a couple on this thread.

Campbell and Maguire leaving is a blow. Campbell for my money was our best player in the last two seasons, and if I’m honest, better than the NLN.

Maguire meanwhile is proven scorer at this level. Had injury issues no doubt, but showed what he was capable of last season.

I think comments about Liddle being better first season than second are fair. Would also agree on Reid and Watson although their versatility will be a miss. Not fussed about Atkinson leaving as we didn’t see a great deal from him in his two years.

Probably more departures to come as well - there’ve got to be question marks around Hunt and Saltmer I would say.

But it will be interesting to see who AA brings in. Clearly his tactic is to pick up released players from the Big Three and give them a platform back into the professional game.

But for the first time in his managerial career AA is without his trusted Blyth contingent.
Would add Laing to the list of other departures. Can't see him getting a contract when he won't be able to prove his fitness for awhile after the season has started. Whilst I like Holness, I'm not sure AA rates him as highly.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the former Blyth players end up back there, mainly Watson, Atkinson, Liddle & Reid. Blyth have pretty much let everyone but a few go.

Perhaps a bigger job then first anticipated for AA, but first thing is to get Sousa to sign up alongside Hatfield and Charman. Others such as Wheatley, Storey and Rivers to follow

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon May 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Campbell is a big loss.

Maguire and Liddle less so, but still a loss.

The other three no loss.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 pm

It certainly is the end of the ex Blyth era. Will be interesting to see where Maguire Campbell and Liddle end up. Wonder if the other 3 could be on the way back to Blyth as it is hard to imagine any of them moving up the leagues.
Next season is an important one as we really could do with finding some consistency in the league if we are to be a position to challenge at the top end. Certainly gives AA a chance to remould the squad. Personally I am not too disappointed at losing these 6 players. For me Hatfield Wheatley Charman and Sousa are our biggest assets and if we can make some good signings all will be well.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon May 03, 2021 4:18 pm

Disappointed to lose Campbell. Some games he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, and his vision and movement was far too good for this level and his own players at times. Reckon he sees his best position in the middle and was rarely used there last season.
only thing can be fitness is the doubt around McGuire as in flashes you could see his goal scoring pedigree and would have liked him to stay.
Pressure on AA for the first summer really as will have to sign at least 6 quality players with none from Blyth.
Still need in my view a “nasty” strong no nonsense centre half and a goalkeeper too!
Busy summer.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 03, 2021 4:26 pm

The 6 players have all chosen to move on, to be honest after the last two seasons I am not surprised some players want to do something different. It's been tough for all and a change can often be seen as something to get you going again.

Would have liked to see Campbell stay but after being brought in as a striker he has pushed wider this season, I can see why he has chosen to make a change.

Maguire is a shame as I did think he showed signs but the season was a stop, start and didn't help.

Liddle again, decent enough and another player we need to replace - would have been happy if he stayed.

Watson, Atkinson and Reid were all squad players, so as long as we replace them can't say I am surprised or even disappointed.

Another 4 to go it seems, so AA will need to bring in about 8-10 players, which is a big squad recycle.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:32 pm

It's going to be a busy summer trying to sign better players than the ones that have departed - I'd say Campbell will be the biggest void to fill so far and it remains to be seen who else departs. However, it may not be as bad as it seems, there are likely to be many players culled from higher up as clubs cut costs in the FL and PL.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon May 03, 2021 5:54 pm

Maybe we should be after some old boys with 2 of them scoring in 2 Wembley finals on the same day, Josh Falkingham & Amar Purewal. 😉😅

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon May 03, 2021 6:03 pm

jjljks wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:33 pm
Lidds will be biggest miss and Campbell always put in a shift, but TBH would like to see some bigger bods capable of winning headers and holding up the ball. AA has an eye for decent footballers so I think he must have replacements in mind already as he would not have let them go.
Did he "let them go" or did they say they were going? The way it is worded seems to me more like their idea than AA's.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:20 pm

South Shields are full time next season. I could understand Campbell going there. I feel like it was reported he wanted to return to full time football if possible, he is only 26 after all. I am not sure I picked up that the rest would necessarily want to commit to going full time.

I can't see any of them moving to the NL. There is still a way to go in their season and with Hartlepool, Stockport and Halifax all fighting for promotion to League Two I doubt they are planning for a NL season just yet. They could move further afield, but doesn't strike me as likely.

Blyth are just waiting to be relegated to the EvoStik aren't they? I haven't read anything to suggest they now have a pile of money to spend on players.

Spennymoor is an option, maybe for Maguire they were in for him before, but he chose us over them a year ago so wonder what has changed.

For me that the rest are destined for Gateshead (Liddle & Maguire), and then Morpeth or Dunston for Reid, Watson and Atkinson.
Last edited by lo36789 on Mon May 03, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon May 03, 2021 7:10 pm

Stod reporting that Campbell wanted to leave and Gateshead are favourites to sign him.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:09 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:10 pm
Stod reporting that Campbell wanted to leave and Gateshead are favourites to sign him.
All these players have lined up other clubs which tells us they made the decision. Surprised fans are interpreting these as being we didn't offer them a new deal.

If anything it suggests we at least started a conversation to see where their heads were and were duly informed they would be leaving. I suspect there are differing levels of concern from AA on them.