6 players leave

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

My opinion
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by My opinion » Mon May 17, 2021 12:32 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:50 am
My opinion wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:29 am
lo36789 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:29 am
quakersfan wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:58 pm


Last season was a little underwhelming, but also the circumstances weren't brilliant it was a terribly interrupted season. I think a reasonably target for us is top 10, and hope to sneak into the playoffs if our form is good at the end of the season.
I don't understand how you can say that a top 10 finish is a reasonable target yet say that last season was underwhelming.
Had we played the same number of games last season as other clubs had done we would easily made the top 10. And in addition we also had a good run in both the FA cup and the league...
It sounds to me like you are expecting the same in the league as we had last season.

I am hoping we kick on in all competitions, particularly the league. We just need to be more consistent.
How can anyone say we would easily have made the top 10 on our league form last season?
Our record was 4 wins 1 draw and 6 defeats returning 13 points from 11 games played. Over a 42 game season that would be a total of around 50 points which is lower mid table at best.
Of course our form may have improved but that is purely speculation.

It's quite easy for me to say it as it is My Opinion.
Indeed, it is also the opinion of many others that I speak to.
Sorry if it disappoints you but that''s the way opinions work

lo36789
Posts: 9463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:12 pm

My opinion wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:32 pm
Old Git wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:50 am
My opinion wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:29 am
lo36789 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:29 am
Last season was a little underwhelming, but also the circumstances weren't brilliant it was a terribly interrupted season. I think a reasonably target for us is top 10, and hope to sneak into the playoffs if our form is good at the end of the season.
I don't understand how you can say that a top 10 finish is a reasonable target yet say that last season was underwhelming.
Had we played the same number of games last season as other clubs had done we would easily made the top 10. And in addition we also had a good run in both the FA cup and the league...
It sounds to me like you are expecting the same in the league as we had last season.

I am hoping we kick on in all competitions, particularly the league. We just need to be more consistent.
How can anyone say we would easily have made the top 10 on our league form last season?
Our record was 4 wins 1 draw and 6 defeats returning 13 points from 11 games played. Over a 42 game season that would be a total of around 50 points which is lower mid table at best.
Of course our form may have improved but that is purely speculation.
It's quite easy for me to say it as it is My Opinion.
Indeed, it is also the opinion of many others that I speak to.
Sorry if it disappoints you but that''s the way opinions work
Is an opinion that last season was underwhelming as valid?

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by D_F_C » Mon May 17, 2021 3:23 pm

It’s possible that the ‘meh’ was due to watching games on a screen as Loan Star alluded to. I remember taking the piss out of curzon, Blyth, guiseley. But at the same time we dropped silly points at times with conceding some slack goals. I ‘think’ we’d have been mid table.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by Old Git » Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm

My opinion wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:32 pm





It's quite easy for me to say it as it is My Opinion.
Indeed, it is also the opinion of many others that I speak to.
Sorry if it disappoints you but that''s the way opinions work
Fair enough your opinion but my post was based on facts. I will remind you of them.
Played 11
Wins 4
Draws 1
Lost 6
Played 11
Points 13.
The facts are we were moderate in the league.
What disappoints me is not that you have an opinion but that when examined it doesn’t hold water.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5836
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 pm

I was disappointed with us in the league and after battering some teams we couldn't score and gave far too many easy goals away.

In the cups where the money was available we exceeded my expectations, this was vital considering everything that happened.

I think AA was disappointed in our league form and his latest interview does hint at that. The cup runs brought in over £100k and is the only thing to take out of last season. AA has delivered over £200k in two broken seasons, for that reason whilst I think we need to perform much better, I do see the last two years as successful.

One worry is that we are on squad rebuild again, I am sure AA won't want to do that every year and if he gets it wrong or not quite right he won't get any leeway as it's his third season now. Think we need to understand what our expectations of next season are as fans.

jjljks
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by jjljks » Mon May 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Super-les-mcj right about us giving away cheap early goals, particularly at BM as it means we are obliged to open up & this left us vulnerable to the counterattack. Next season, I would love to have Fortress BM and for the team to have their game heads on right from the kick-off. Let's make any opposition team dread the roar of theTin Shed.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Fair enough your opinion but my post was based on facts. I will remind you of them.
Played 11
Wins 4
Draws 1
Lost 6
Played 11
Points 13.
The facts are we were moderate in the league.
What disappoints me is not that you have an opinion but that when examined it doesn’t hold water.
One fact that you missed out was our goal difference. Anyone who knows anything, knows that teams near the bottom with a positive goal difference nearly always are in a very false position and 9 times out of 10 go on a run.

Overall we won more matches than we lost, and once the cups were out of the way I see no reason why that wouldn't translate to league form. We were good enough to finish 6th or 7th, and with 31 league matches still to play it's entirely possible that we could have scored enough points in those matches to achieve the play offs.

Extrapolating our PPG from 11 matches to predict our points from 42 is certainly not factual and is no better indicator of final finishing position than someone saying "well if a, b, c happened in the last 3/4 of the season, then we would have done x, y, z"
#Arenaherewecome

Old Git
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by Old Git » Tue May 18, 2021 9:55 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am
Old Git wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Fair enough your opinion but my post was based on facts. I will remind you of them.
Played 11
Wins 4
Draws 1
Lost 6
Played 11
Points 13.
The facts are we were moderate in the league.
What disappoints me is not that you have an opinion but that when examined it doesn’t hold water.
One fact that you missed out was our goal difference. Anyone who knows anything, knows that teams near the bottom with a positive goal difference nearly always are in a very false position and 9 times out of 10 go on a run.

Overall we won more matches than we lost, and once the cups were out of the way I see no reason why that wouldn't translate to league form. We were good enough to finish 6th or 7th, and with 31 league matches still to play it's entirely possible that we could have scored enough points in those matches to achieve the play offs.

Extrapolating our PPG from 11 matches to predict our points from 42 is certainly not factual and is no better indicator of final finishing position than someone saying "well if a, b, c happened in the last 3/4 of the season, then we would have done x, y, z"
Absolute Cobblers.
9 times out of 10 teams near the bottom of the league with a positive goal difference are in a false position. Can you back that up with some evidence please? Or is it just a half baked theory to support the view that we were somehow better than we were. I agree it is possible we could have made the playoffs but highly unlikely on the balance of probabilities.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

6 players leave

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 18, 2021 10:33 am

Old Git wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am
Old Git wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Fair enough your opinion but my post was based on facts. I will remind you of them.
Played 11
Wins 4
Draws 1
Lost 6
Played 11
Points 13.
The facts are we were moderate in the league.
What disappoints me is not that you have an opinion but that when examined it doesn’t hold water.
One fact that you missed out was our goal difference. Anyone who knows anything, knows that teams near the bottom with a positive goal difference nearly always are in a very false position and 9 times out of 10 go on a run.

Overall we won more matches than we lost, and once the cups were out of the way I see no reason why that wouldn't translate to league form. We were good enough to finish 6th or 7th, and with 31 league matches still to play it's entirely possible that we could have scored enough points in those matches to achieve the play offs.

Extrapolating our PPG from 11 matches to predict our points from 42 is certainly not factual and is no better indicator of final finishing position than someone saying "well if a, b, c happened in the last 3/4 of the season, then we would have done x, y, z"
Absolute Cobblers
It’s not. It’s well-reasoned and based on fact.

In the last completed league season, 2018/19, only one side in the bottom half had a positive goal difference, compared to only side in the top half having a negative goal difference.

Season before that, every side in the top half had a positive goal difference.

So Ghost is correct and the evidence backs him up. There is a positive correlation between goal difference and position in the league. Pretty easy to work out why it’s a direct causation. More goals scored and fewer conceded equals more wins, equals moving higher up the table.

To add, our goals conceded was an average of 1.00 per game. A lot of the sides around us had near double that. Another indicator we were in a false position and not doing as badly as you seem to suggest.

I don’t think anyone disputes that our league form up to that point was disappointing, but it’s not as bad as you’re making out. Roughly mid-table I’d say, because we’d played quite a few games less than sides around us. As many as six or seven in some cases.

You said it would be speculation to say our form would have improved. By the same token it’s speculative to say it wouldn’t have. In fact more so, as all the stats suggest we’d have moved up the table had the season continued, although undoubtedly our league form would have had to improve to reach the top seven.

Either way, as Ghost says, trying to extrapolate conclusions from one quarter of the season out to an entire campaign isn’t worthwhile as that’s not how football works.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue May 18, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:57 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:55 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am
Old Git wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Fair enough your opinion but my post was based on facts. I will remind you of them.
Played 11
Wins 4
Draws 1
Lost 6
Played 11
Points 13.
The facts are we were moderate in the league.
What disappoints me is not that you have an opinion but that when examined it doesn’t hold water.
One fact that you missed out was our goal difference. Anyone who knows anything, knows that teams near the bottom with a positive goal difference nearly always are in a very false position and 9 times out of 10 go on a run.

Overall we won more matches than we lost, and once the cups were out of the way I see no reason why that wouldn't translate to league form. We were good enough to finish 6th or 7th, and with 31 league matches still to play it's entirely possible that we could have scored enough points in those matches to achieve the play offs.

Extrapolating our PPG from 11 matches to predict our points from 42 is certainly not factual and is no better indicator of final finishing position than someone saying "well if a, b, c happened in the last 3/4 of the season, then we would have done x, y, z"
Absolute Cobblers.
9 times out of 10 teams near the bottom of the league with a positive goal difference are in a false position. Can you back that up with some evidence please? Or is it just a half baked theory to support the view that we were somehow better than we were. I agree it is possible we could have made the playoffs but highly unlikely on the balance of probabilities.
Well I was going to answer you, but darlogramps has said everything already which I would have done in response to your "cobblers".

As I'm in total agreement with gramps on this one, then I'll just say - read his reply.
#Arenaherewecome

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue May 18, 2021 11:23 am

I seem to remember us being dire one season up to Christmas then going on a run from Chester onwards ending up in a play-off final or is my memory playing happy tricks? If we'd taken the first part of that season to decide where we'd end up I'd have said fighting relegation. You never know really and I'm always hopeful!

Old Git
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by Old Git » Tue May 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:57 am
Old Git wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:55 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am
Old Git wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Fair enough your opinion but my post was based on facts. I will remind you of them.
Played 11
Wins 4
Draws 1
Lost 6
Played 11
Points 13.
The facts are we were moderate in the league.
What disappoints me is not that you have an opinion but that when examined it doesn’t hold water.
One fact that you missed out was our goal difference. Anyone who knows anything, knows that teams near the bottom with a positive goal difference nearly always are in a very false position and 9 times out of 10 go on a run.

Overall we won more matches than we lost, and once the cups were out of the way I see no reason why that wouldn't translate to league form. We were good enough to finish 6th or 7th, and with 31 league matches still to play it's entirely possible that we could have scored enough points in those matches to achieve the play offs.

Extrapolating our PPG from 11 matches to predict our points from 42 is certainly not factual and is no better indicator of final finishing position than someone saying "well if a, b, c happened in the last 3/4 of the season, then we would have done x, y, z"
Absolute Cobblers.
9 times out of 10 teams near the bottom of the league with a positive goal difference are in a false position. Can you back that up with some evidence please? Or is it just a half baked theory to support the view that we were somehow better than we were. I agree it is possible we could have made the playoffs but highly unlikely on the balance of probabilities.
Well I was going to answer you, but darlogramps has said everything already which I would have done in response to your "cobblers".

As I'm in total agreement with gramps on this one, then I'll just say - read his reply.
Ok I disagree but further discussion pointless as we are not going to change our opinions on this issue and we will never no for sure what would have happened.

quaker4life
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: 6 players leave

Post by quaker4life » Tue May 18, 2021 3:06 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:23 am
I seem to remember us being dire one season up to Christmas then going on a run from Chester onwards ending up in a play-off final or is my memory playing happy tricks? If we'd taken the first part of that season to decide where we'd end up I'd have said fighting relegation. You never know really and I'm always hopeful!
That is almost certainly your memory playing happy tricks tricks on you.

I believe that was the 2018/19 season when we looked to be in real trouble but we rallied in the second half of the season and managed to secure a relatively comfortable midtable finish.

The same thing happened in 2017/18 we got dragged right into the mire around Christmas time I remember starting to think we were in real trouble after we got beat at Gainsborough and then in the second half of the season we went on a run and ended up finishing within a shout of the play offs, that was about as good as it got under Tommy Wright!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2234
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 pm

I reckon it sounds like the 95-96 season when we were 3rd bottom in Oct and lost at Wembley to Plymouth.

JE93
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by JE93 » Wed May 19, 2021 7:15 am

Storey confirmed as he signs a contract for next season:

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/alex-st ... on-2021-22

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed May 19, 2021 8:16 am

I think Vic 's right. We had the worst seats at Wembley, benches at pitch eye level and of course we lost. I've still never found out who the groups of "lads" were lined up in the way out, looked a proper firm!

lo36789
Posts: 9463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:52 am
I would not be surprised to see Nicky Featherstone and Ryan Donaldson become available this summer. Not sure how unpopular they would be and whether Tommy Miller would have first dibs.
Well I was right about Ryan Donaldson leaving Hartlepool...

Destination: Morpeth

Post Reply