6 players leave

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Re: 6 players leave

Post by shildonlad » Sun May 09, 2021 7:26 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:36 pm
Eating on the pitch?
Haha edited
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by LoidLucan » Mon May 10, 2021 8:08 am

Just heard an interview with the Blyth boss and he indicates that the returning players were wanting to be closer to home due to personal issues and work circumstances and he also mentions that the chairman has "changed his mindset" after it was empasised that they would get the same result if they continued down the same path as the last couple of seasons. Nelson has also put feelers out for loanees from Boro Under-23s. I guess a keeper may be on that wish list.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:26 am

Ben Hedley now confirmed for next season. Let's hope we get confirmations on Sousa and Rivers soon too.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Gateshead have released:

Harrison Male
Kallum Griffiths
George Smith
Nicky Deverdics
Jordan Preston
Jacob Blyth
Jordan Cook (unable to agree terms)

Would have Smith & Preston here in a shot.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue May 11, 2021 6:08 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:54 pm
Gateshead have released:

Harrison Male
Kallum Griffiths
George Smith
Nicky Deverdics
Jordan Preston
Jacob Blyth

Agreed, wouldn’t mind Griffith’s and Deverdics too

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:51 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:08 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Gateshead have released:

Harrison Male
Kallum Griffiths
George Smith
Nicky Deverdics
Jordan Preston
Jacob Blyth

Agreed, wouldn’t mind Griffith’s and Deverdics too
We are pretty well stocked at right-back. I’m expecting McMahon to be playing again next season with Hedley as back-up. Griffiths will probably end up back at Spennymoor.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:06 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Gateshead have released:

Harrison Male
Kallum Griffiths
George Smith
Nicky Deverdics
Jordan Preston
Jacob Blyth

Didn't know Griffiths was at Gateshead.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:06 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Gateshead have released:

Harrison Male
Kallum Griffiths
George Smith
Nicky Deverdics
Jordan Preston
Jacob Blyth

Didn't know Griffiths was at Gateshead.
He's not now!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:05 am

Rivers now confirmed for next season. Happy with this one, thought he showed more end product last season than he did in his first.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed May 12, 2021 7:18 am

Have to agree JE93 and great he is assisting in the Academy . looks like a drip feed at 8am by Ray on those agreed to stay, likely Erico or Omar will be the last ones to keep focus on BTB. Certainly hoping Craig liddle will place a few more loanees our way from the Boro next season

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 am

Agree about Rivers thought he looked a bigger threat last season and if we can have him on one flank and Sousa on the other they should provide plenty of chances for Charman and whoever else plays up front. In addition Rivers and Sousa both capable of scoring 10/12 goals each as well as providing plenty of assists. What we need is another central striker possibly a physical presence to occupy the centre backs. Someone in the Beck mould would be ideal.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:13 am

Old Git wrote:Agree about Rivers thought he looked a bigger threat last season and if we can have him on one flank and Sousa on the other they should provide plenty of chances for Charman and whoever else plays up front. In addition Rivers and Sousa both capable of scoring 10/12 goals each as well as providing plenty of assists. What we need is another central striker possibly a physical presence to occupy the centre backs. Someone in the Beck mould would be ideal.
Would love Andrew Nelson back here although currently injured with Torquay.Some pairing with Luke that would be

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 12, 2021 8:32 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:13 am
Old Git wrote:Agree about Rivers thought he looked a bigger threat last season and if we can have him on one flank and Sousa on the other they should provide plenty of chances for Charman and whoever else plays up front. In addition Rivers and Sousa both capable of scoring 10/12 goals each as well as providing plenty of assists. What we need is another central striker possibly a physical presence to occupy the centre backs. Someone in the Beck mould would be ideal.
Would love Andrew Nelson back here although currently injured with Torquay.Some pairing with Luke that would be

According to Wikipedia he has not yet played a game for Torquay all season so presumably a serious injury. Has a bit of history with injuries but would definitely take a chance on him if he was released and wanted to return to North East.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Whoever we sign next couple of weeks I think it’s going to be a difficult hard slog this coming season upside is it will be good to be watching live footie again.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 12, 2021 5:42 pm

Not sure why it is necessary going to be a hard slog. Going to be very competitive next season but I hope we are going to be capable of at least holding our own .There are 3 months to the start of the season and plenty of players are likely to be available. The challenge is to recruit well and find a good blend of players and mould them into a team. Over to you Mr Armstrong.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 12, 2021 6:37 pm

I’d like to see who we sign before declaring whether this season will be a hard slog or not.

There are Darlo fans who’ve already written off the next campaign, which is ridiculous given we’re still three months out.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm
Whoever we sign next couple of weeks I think it’s going to be a difficult hard slog this coming season upside is it will be good to be watching live footie again.
Signings in the next couple of weeks? Would the season even be finished yet in a normal year. The playoffs are only just kicking off in the EFL!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 pm

Can view it two ways.
1. Something not quite right when there is a large exit of players who we were led to believe only came because of AA. AA said when signed most of them what good value they were so guessing that most were not on largest salaries so nearly impossible to replace with similar quality and value. Was obviously unplanned so must have put club on the back foot recruitment wise.
2. Still got some real quality in squad so a huge opportunity to add similar players and actually come out of the summer with a stronger squad overall. We all know we needed to add physicality to the team so gives that ability to do just that.
Not sure where I sit, but do feel it has created some worry amongst supporters rather than excitement and do think we need to hear from AA. An actual signing that we can be excited about would help too rather than just existing players re signing, and probably help stimulate BtB which seems a bit flat this year. Doesn’t help seeing Blyth already looking like an exciting team next year. Not a bad forward line to be fair, ( if fit) McGuire, Gillies, O’Donnell.
Early days though I get that too!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri May 14, 2021 7:48 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 pm
Can view it two ways.
1. Something not quite right when there is a large exit of players who we were led to believe only came because of AA. AA said when signed most of them what good value they were so guessing that most were not on largest salaries so nearly impossible to replace with similar quality and value. Was obviously unplanned so must have put club on the back foot recruitment wise.
2. Still got some real quality in squad so a huge opportunity to add similar players and actually come out of the summer with a stronger squad overall. We all know we needed to add physicality to the team so gives that ability to do just that.
Not sure where I sit, but do feel it has created some worry amongst supporters rather than excitement and do think we need to hear from AA. An actual signing that we can be excited about would help too rather than just existing players re signing, and probably help stimulate BtB which seems a bit flat this year. Doesn’t help seeing Blyth already looking like an exciting team next year. Not a bad forward line to be fair, ( if fit) McGuire, Gillies, O’Donnell.
Early days though I get that too!
Think both your statements are correct in many ways but prefer option 2. What it does mean is that AA has an opportunity to rebuild his squad for the coming season.
Not sure I totally endorse your support of the Blyth forward line as fitness could be a major issue with those 3.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 14, 2021 9:14 am

Campbell is the only real loss and his departure has surprised me. He looked to be happy, always gave his best and made things happen, but players always come and go. I’m starting to wonder if AA has been planning a more vigorous rebuild than was envisaged? As has been pointed out, our home league form was poor and if that were to continue when fans come back then crowds will dip.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Campbell is the only real loss and his departure has surprised me. He looked to be happy, always gave his best and made things happen, but players always come and go. I’m starting to wonder if AA has been planning a more vigorous rebuild than was envisaged? As has been pointed out, our home league form was poor and if that were to continue when fans come back then crowds will dip.
DJ mentioned in his recent podcast that Alun was looking for more physicality in our team.We had little threat from corners and free kicks and accepting Campbell and Maguire are good players they are not irreplaceable.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Campbell is the only real loss and his departure has surprised me. He looked to be happy, always gave his best and made things happen, but players always come and go. I’m starting to wonder if AA has been planning a more vigorous rebuild than was envisaged? As has been pointed out, our home league form was poor and if that were to continue when fans come back then crowds will dip.
DJ mentioned in his recent podcast that Alun was looking for more physicality in our team.We had little threat from corners and free kicks and accepting Campbell and Maguire are good players they are not irreplaceable.

This brings back memories of Paul Beavers :D Anyone else remember him?

He turned up in about 98 to try and help in a relegation battle. He really looked the business, being of a big and solid build - the trouble was that he wasn't very good. Everywhere the ball was he was just a little bit far behind, although I'm reminded that he did score one important goal, in front of The Tinshed I think!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 14, 2021 11:42 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Ron, interesting that after the Hornchurch game AA said that things will change. Also, in a recent interview he said 'It's time to move this club forward' once the players had been released. Of course, putting 2 and 2 together could make 5, but equally it could point to what fatcat said, that a more vigorous rebuild has been planned. Only AA will know.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 14, 2021 11:49 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 am
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

This brings back memories of Paul Beavers :D Anyone else remember him?

He turned up in about 98 to try and help in a relegation battle. He really looked the business, being of a big and solid build - the trouble was that he wasn't very good. Everywhere the ball was he was just a little bit far behind, although I'm reminded that he did score one important goal, in front of The Tinshed I think!
Northern League at best. Very immobile and about as good a jumper as Steve McMahon. There was the away game at Barnet where we lost 3-0. He had the chance to score with a free header and instead it slapped him straight in the chest and went into the keepers arms. Classic.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:14 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

We will struggle to find somebody as good as Campbell.

AA wouldn’t have wanted to lose Campbell, Maguire, Liddle or Watson.

That is my interpretation, however. 99% of clubs seem to confirm which players were offered contracts, released or retained. Our articles lack any form of substance and leave a lot of basic information to guesswork. Frustrating.

Whilst most clubs are releasing comprehensive retained lists, we don’t know (or weren’t told) if any of the departing players were offered contracts or released. We don’t know if McMahon, Storey, Holness, Hudson & Sousa have been offered new deals and we don’t even know if Hatfield is retained for next season (he is, but that isn’t the point).

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 14, 2021 5:20 pm

Yeah it’s like the secret society when it comes to player news atm. I absolutely get not revealing names of targets which could alert other clubs (although these days agents will be pimping them anyway) but we can do better than we are doing at the moment in keeping fans abreast of goings on, especially when we’re being asked to dig deep to support the contracts of these players. If the club doesn’t want other news outlets breaking news then fine, but they’ve got to release something themselves. Counter productive strategy IMO

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:44 pm

divas wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:20 pm
Yeah it’s like the secret society when it comes to player news atm. I absolutely get not revealing names of targets which could alert other clubs (although these days agents will be pimping them anyway) but we can do better than we are doing at the moment in keeping fans abreast of goings on, especially when we’re being asked to dig deep to support the contracts of these players. If the club doesn’t want other news outlets breaking news then fine, but they’ve got to release something themselves. Counter productive strategy IMO
Agreed.

The information doesn’t have to be that granular either. It’s fairly basic information which is being missed out of articles.

I understand the club drip-feeding player & contract news over May in order to maintain levels of engagement with BtB, but when these articles are being published they’re just so out of touch with others it’s staggering. It’s just breeding uncertainty when, like you say, fans are being asked to dip their hands in their pockets for the highest BtB target yet.

Clear communication on even the basics, such as which current players were offered new deals (even if they rejected them), which players have been released and contract lengths would go a long way.

I don’t need to know if x player has signed a new contract for £50 per week more, or if we’ve offered a contract to potential new signing, but a bit of clear communication on our current squad would be a start.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Fri May 14, 2021 6:15 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:44 pm
divas wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:20 pm
Agreed.

The information doesn’t have to be that granular either. It’s fairly basic information which is being missed out of articles.

I understand the club drip-feeding player & contract news over May in order to maintain levels of engagement with BtB, but when these articles are being published they’re just so out of touch with others it’s staggering. It’s just breeding uncertainty when, like you say, fans are being asked to dip their hands in their pockets for the highest BtB target yet.

Clear communication on even the basics, such as which current players were offered new deals (even if they rejected them), which players have been released and contract lengths would go a long way.

I don’t need to know if x player has signed a new contract for £50 per week more, or if we’ve offered a contract to potential new signing, but a bit of clear communication on our current squad would be a start.
I also thought it was a little poor the way the 6 players who left first were announced , a small paragraph at the end of the Charman extension , wasn’t great in my opinion

These players have been with us for two seasons , played for the club during our best FA Cup run for years , and from what I saw (majority on TV unfortunately) gave their all week in and week out for the team - yet we could barely muster a thank you

I’m not saying a huge fanfare , but a simple thank you and good luck at your new club isn’t much to ask. I have always thought we were extremely professional as a club but I feel a little out of touch this summer in comparison to what I see from other clubs around our level

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pm

What are people after?

We can't announce something which hasn't yet happened?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri May 14, 2021 6:43 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pm
What are people after?

We can't announce something which hasn't yet happened?
Exactly 3 months to go to the start of the season and some people seem to be getting a bit anxious already. We all want to be updated and crave information but fans need to put their trust in AA and DJ and allow them to do their jobs. I am sure they will be working hard behind the scenes and when there is something to announce we will be informed.