6 players leave

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by jjljks » Wed May 05, 2021 11:58 am

Main thing is that AA stays as Mourinho decided to go for Roma, as the easier option😉

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 05, 2021 1:42 pm

Reid signs for Blyth. Good signing for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed May 05, 2021 4:15 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:47 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:33 am
The problem for Alun is that he needs to make signings now, but it's very hard for him to know what his budget will be, when btb runs to the end of May. Perhaps the club should look to run btb in future years through April?
We have over 3 months until the season starts.
Problem is players don’t hang about they want security and get signed up particularly in these current times. Hopefully AA had been talking to targets already.

bga

Post by bga » Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
The problem for Alun is that he needs to make signings now, but it's very hard for him to know what his budget will be, when btb runs to the end of May. Perhaps the club should look to run btb in future years through April?
True about not knowing final budget till end of May, and I appreciate it is hard without knowing the final figure. However, AA does have the already Budget the Board have set at his disposal.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 05, 2021 5:06 pm

Campbell signs for Gateshead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:11 pm

To be totally honest, the only player I'm bothered about losing is Campbell. I'd assume Hunt is retiring, Saltmer never looked totally reliable... Liddle had faded a bit, Watson was a squad player. Maguire I'm slightly surprised by, as I think he didn't have much of a chance, but I'm not that upset by it either. Reid, I still don't know his best position and Atkinson was never fit (and I still don't know his best position either).

It does leave a substantial rebuild but I'm not hugely gutted by any of the departures. I'd have liked to keep Campbell and maybe Maguire, but we don't know what the finances were. Lets hope Alun is up to the job!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 05, 2021 5:18 pm

Campbell said he wanted the full time training element and also to play central.
Don't think Maguire will take the full time route. He tried that and wanted to come back part time. AA said that due to the nature of his job, that he has to train him less. I think he's a plumber and wanted to spend more time on that. What with his constant injuries as well I wouldn't be surprised to see him go further down the pyramid, although Spenny may be an outside bet.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed May 05, 2021 7:34 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:18 pm
Campbell said he wanted the full time training element and also to play central.
Don't think Maguire will take the full time route. He tried that and wanted to come back part time. AA said that due to the nature of his job, that he has to train him less. I think he's a plumber and wanted to spend more time on that. What with his constant injuries as well I wouldn't be surprised to see him go further down the pyramid, although Spenny may be an outside bet.
Campbells problem is every manager he’s played under seems to end up sticking him out wide rather than be the central striker. Now if it was just one manager I could maybe think they got it wrong but when it’s every manager you have to question whether the player has the correct attributes to play centrally all the time.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 pm

Campbell for me did everything asked of him while playing for us, it's not his game out wide he was used like that because of his attributes to the game when we were short outside, he always gave his best no matter where he played he always wanted to be on the pitch ,a loss but also not irreplaceable, Adam's never say die attitude often won us games, good luck to the lad.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 pm

:D
bga wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
True about not knowing final budget till end of May, and I appreciate it is hard without knowing the final figure. However, AA does have the already Budget the Board have set at his disposal.
We’ve run BTB for long enough now to have a fair idea what the final figure is going to be. Budget for £100K and anything else is a bonus that can be used to buy the final piece of the jigsaw if a wildcard becomes available. Not knowing what the final BTB amount will be doesn’t stop Alun putting 90% of his squad together.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:50 pm

Losing Campbell is a blow, make no bones about it. His goalscoring record from open play was decent and his creativity was excellent. However, I do think Gateshead have made a bit of a false promise if he is expecting to be leading the line every week. As loan_star says, there is a reason why every manager he has worked under has started him centrally but then pushed him out wide.

He needs replacing.

Maguire is a funny one in the sense that he showed us what he could do in the minutes he did play, it is just a shame that injuries prevented him from playing more (missed 8 weeks of the curtailed season through muscle injuries).

I thought Watson was a good back-up, and one that would be retained as Alun has alluded to him not being able to play every game anyway due to his previous knee injuries. Surprised to see him go.

Liddle is a shame too - he’s a great personality to have, but he can be replaced.

Reid was poor last season but kept on getting minutes, and I did feel he was sometimes only in there for his height & versatility, so that solves that problem.

Atkinson had little to no impact over the last two seasons unfortunately. Injuries played a good part of that.

Saltmer & Hunt released. I don’t expect Holness & Hudson to be with us next season either. It will also be difficult to justify Laing & Holmes being contracted given their respective long-term injuries.

It’s turning into quite the rebuild job with a minimum of 10 new signings required to build around what we have (presuming they all stay): McMahon, Hedley, Storey, Hatfield, Wheatley, Rivers, Sousa, Charman.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:37 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:50 pm
Maguire is a funny one in the sense that he showed us what he could do in the minutes he did play, it is just a shame that injuries prevented him from playing more (missed 8 weeks of the curtailed season through muscle injuries).
He did. Weren't injuries an issue for him at York as well?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 am

Perhaps Campbell got used to playing in front of no fans and wanted to continue to do so?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 am
Perhaps Campbell got used to playing in front of no fans and wanted to continue to do so?
:D

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:04 am

Watson back at Blyth. Gillies has joined them too. Turning into a Darlo retirement home up there.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:20 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:04 am
Watson back at Blyth. Gillies has joined them too. Turning into a Darlo retirement home up there.
Another one?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 pm

Are Blyth just trying to get back at AA after he plundered their squad when he replaced MG?
Not sure how well returning players will be received by the Blyth fans.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:07 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 pm
Are Blyth just trying to get back at AA after he plundered their squad when he replaced MG?
From what I've seen, they're all beyond excited at all of the homecomings - no doubt proving in their minds that Blyth are the better club as their players all left big bad Darlo to play for Blyth for 20p a week.

Wait until they sign Maguire, they'll become unbearable.

By the way, Gillies is a class signing for August and April, for them.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm

Liddle back there as well now.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:59 pm

And Nathan Buddle!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:00 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 pm
Weren't they pretty much told to leave by Blyth though? Wasn't that part of why AA left they basically removed their entire budget.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:17 pm

We’ve taken up the option on Jamie Holmes’ contract.

Whilst I am pleased for Jamie personally that he still has the security of a contract, I am quite apprehensive from a club point of view given his recent serious knee injuries and lack of first-team action for almost two years now. I was convinced he would be retained on non-contract terms until he had at least completed pre-season and some matches.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu May 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:17 pm
We’ve taken up the option on Jamie Holmes’ contract.

Whilst I am pleased for Jamie personally that he still has the security of a contract, I am quite apprehensive from a club point of view given his recent serious knee injuries and lack of first-team action for almost two years now. I was convinced he would be retained on non-contract terms until he had at least completed pre-season and some matches.
Surprised by this decision.As said,would have thought his fitness would have been proved before committing to his wages for another year.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu May 06, 2021 5:10 pm

AA must really rate him if he is giving him a third chance so really hope his faith is rewarded.
On the plus side Jamie is still only 23 so still young enough to prove himself. Good luck to him he deserves a break. Oops perhaps not the best way of putting it!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 06, 2021 5:22 pm

Wonder why they went back to Blyth en masse. If we offered them reduced terms then surely it still wouldn't amount to what Blyth will be paying them.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 06, 2021 5:31 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Wonder why they went back to Blyth en masse. If we offered them reduced terms then surely it still wouldn't amount to what Blyth will be paying them.
Unless the Blyth chairman has put his hand in his pocket.

Two years of misery with a Northern League level squad, so he’s shelling out a bit more to make them more competitive.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu May 06, 2021 5:40 pm

Still seems very odd to me that they have chosen Blyth over Darlo given their supposed love of AA, tremendous team spirit, great set of lads Etc. Campbell I almost get, full time and promise of playing in preferred position etc but these 3 doesn’t make sense. Cannot believe that they are all getting more money at Blyth. McGuire doesn’t make sense either to be honest.
Just seems odd for some reason. Maybe AA,s pull on these players isn’t as strong as he thinks!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu May 06, 2021 5:42 pm

In Liddle's interview, he spoke about his job (more responsibility) and recently moving home being a factor in returning to Blyth. Fair enough from our point of view. Watson & Reid are far more likely to play for Blyth. Buddle wasn't first choice at Spenny.

To be fair to Blyth they sound like a decent club. Close set of fans and management team and have a spirit about them, so can understand why you'd want to play there, especially if you're from up that way.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm

The travelling time involved for anyone living north of the Tyne just to get to training, home matches or the team bus must really mount up. Playing for Blyth will really reduce that and give them a better chance of first team football.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu May 06, 2021 6:14 pm

maguire joins money starved Blyth.