Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
Darlogramps
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 05, 2021 7:11 am

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789
Posts: 9399
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:16 am

We don't half struggle with goalkeepers don't we.

Do always feel there is a complete lack of patience with GK these days. People seem to want to find issue with them.

"Great shot stopper but..."

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 am

Sure AA will have loads of players lined up. Minter might be a consideration as he is 3rd choice at Harrogate. Noticed their 2nd choice keeper was back for the trophy final


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13307
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 am

Not surprised by Hunt's release, as he didn't dominate our defense like I'd hoped he would. Saltmer never generated much confidence & I'm sure there are better options out there. Never saw Hunt or Saltmer play, apart from on TV at Bristol Rovers.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 am

lo36789 wrote:We don't half struggle with goalkeepers don't we.

Do always feel there is a complete lack of patience with GK these days. People seem to want to find issue with them.

"Great shot stopper but..."
Don’t think we’ve had a fully convincing permanent keeper since Adam Bartlett in the Martin Gray era.

Some of the loans have been good, but in terms of permanent, contracted keepers we’ve had Jonny Maddison, Chris Elliott and now Saltmer, none of whom have convinced.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Makka Pakka
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 am
Not surprised by Hunt's release, as he didn't dominate our defense like I'd hoped he would. Saltmer never generated much confidence & I'm sure there are better options out there. Never saw Hunt or Saltmer play, apart from on TV at Bristol Rovers.
Did you not watch Quaker TV Pete?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5004
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 am

With all these players leaving, Campbell has been the only surprise to me. We're having a bigger rebuild than I thought, and it seems a little strange coming from a season that we never saw.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Old Git
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Old Git » Wed May 05, 2021 8:39 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 am
With all these players leaving, Campbell has been the only surprise to me. We're having a bigger rebuild than I thought, and it seems a little strange coming from a season that we never saw.
AA did say after the Hornchurch game that he felt that changes were needed and looks like he meant it.Assuming Holness may not be around and Laing and Holmes may not be offered anything a major rebuild will be needed. Hudson is another who may not stay so it seems likely we will be left with possibly only 8 players.
McMahon
Hedley
Storey
Hatfield
Wheatley
Sousa
Rivers
Charman
Still the basis for a decent squad but looks like a busy Summer ahead and looking forward to see who comes in.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13307
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 am

Makka Pakka wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 am
Not surprised by Hunt's release, as he didn't dominate our defense like I'd hoped he would. Saltmer never generated much confidence & I'm sure there are better options out there. Never saw Hunt or Saltmer play, apart from on TV at Bristol Rovers.
Did you not watch Quaker TV Pete?
Yes sorry I did watch some of the games on Quaker TV, just forgot about it. :crazy:

onewayup
Posts: 2119
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by onewayup » Wed May 05, 2021 10:03 am

I think Holness deserves a crack at it he hasn't had a long run in the team that would build up more understanding with team mate. He I think has the qualities required.

dl10quaker
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by dl10quaker » Wed May 05, 2021 10:37 am

Regarding the goalkeeping position, it seems like the last couple of seasons (maybe even Maddison as well) we’ve just made do with whatever was cheap and fell into our lap as we’ve spent the money on other positions.
I’d like to see us go out spend a decent wage on a top goalkeeper for this level (easier said than done obviously as I can’t think of many).

Seems the big NE clubs are reluctant to loan one of their keepers out for the full season, so don’t want to be getting to the end of pre season and still waiting for them to decide if they’ll loan us one.

lo36789
Posts: 9399
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 am
lo36789 wrote:We don't half struggle with goalkeepers don't we.

Do always feel there is a complete lack of patience with GK these days. People seem to want to find issue with them.

"Great shot stopper but..."
Don’t think we’ve had a fully convincing permanent keeper since Adam Bartlett in the Martin Gray era.

Some of the loans have been good, but in terms of permanent, contracted keepers we’ve had Jonny Maddison, Chris Elliott and now Saltmer, none of whom have convinced.
Agree. It just seems a repetitive problem that we have, do wonder if it is at all to do with unrealistic expectations of a GK at this level.

What is Sam Russell's likely situation at Grimsby following their relegation? Experience over youth perhaps...

poppyfield
Posts: 1809
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by poppyfield » Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am

onewayup wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:03 am
I think Holness deserves a crack at it he hasn't had a long run in the team that would build up more understanding with team mate. He I think has the qualities required.
Agree, we've always look better when he's played.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlofan97
Posts: 4714
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:50 am

Holness won't be here next season. He has been under-used over the last two seasons and has little (to no) ties to the local area.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 am
Sure AA will have loads of players lined up. Minter might be a consideration as he is 3rd choice at Harrogate. Noticed their 2nd choice keeper was back for the trophy final


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would happily have Minter back, he can't be happy being a 3rd choice keeper at a League to club. At his age he needs to be playing games.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789
Posts: 9399
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm
Would happily have Minter back, he can't be happy being a 3rd choice keeper at a League to club. At his age he needs to be playing games.
FT v not being FT mind

Old Git
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Old Git » Wed May 05, 2021 12:37 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm
D_F_C wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 am
Sure AA will have loads of players lined up. Minter might be a consideration as he is 3rd choice at Harrogate. Noticed their 2nd choice keeper was back for the trophy final


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would happily have Minter back, he can't be happy being a 3rd choice keeper at a League to club. At his age he needs to be playing games.
Agree regarding Minter but even if released by Harrogate would he want to come to us? He has relocated up north for a full time contract at a League 2 club. If he is released I would have thought he could get fixed up at a NLS club easily enough which might suit him better.

Maurice_Peddelty
Posts: 838
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed May 05, 2021 12:39 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm
D_F_C wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 am
Sure AA will have loads of players lined up. Minter might be a consideration as he is 3rd choice at Harrogate. Noticed their 2nd choice keeper was back for the trophy final


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would happily have Minter back, he can't be happy being a 3rd choice keeper at a League to club. At his age he needs to be playing games.
Minter is from London and currently a full-time player with an EFL club. In the event that he was released by Harrogate Town, I suspect his first priority would be to secure another full-time contract somewhere else. If he was subsequently forced to consider going part-time again, I think he would be more likely to return to his London roots than join Darlo.

Post Reply