Local'ish clubs released lists

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by JE93 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:16 pm

Thought I'd put together a thread for players released from local clubs as this is the most likely the pool that we will be looking to sign players from. Gateshead are first to announce.

Bradford
Anthony O’Connor
Billy Clarke
Clayton Donaldson
Connor Shanks 
Connor Wood
Harry Pritchard
Lee Novak
Will Huffer
Zeli Ismail

Gateshead:
George Smith
Harrison Male
Jacob Blyth
Jordan Cook (unable to agree terms)
Jordan Preston
Kallum Griffiths
Nicky Deverdics

Harrogate
Jake Lawlor
Brendan Kiernan
Jon Stead
Calvin Miller
Scott Brown
Ed Francis
Melvin Minter
Jay Williams

Hartlepool
Mason Bloomfield
Aaron Cunningham
Danny Elliott
Claudio Ofosu
Luke Williams

Middlesborough (U23's & Academy)
Tyrone O’Neill (U23's)
Cole Kiernan (U23's)
Tyler Williams (U23's)
George Waites (YTH)
Andrew Wilson (YTH)

Newcastle (U23's & academy)
Owen Bailey
Oliver Walters
Tom Midgley
Jude Swailes
Yannick Touré
Oliver Marshall
Ludwig Francillette
Florent Indalecio
Kyle Scott
George Rounsfell
Lucas Gamblin
Josh Gilchrist
Lewis Brannen
Josh Harrison
Tai Ebanks

Spennymoor
Jack Norton
Tyler Forbes
Ben McKenna
Jamie Spencer 

York
Harry Bunn
Jake Cassidy
Harry Flatters
Owen Gamble
Rob Guilfoyle
Reiss Harrison
Charlie Jebson-King
Kieran Kennedy
Reon Potts
Jack Redshaw
Harry Spratt
Robbie Tinkler
Alex Wollerton
Last edited by JE93 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:28 am, edited 7 times in total.

JE93

Re: Local'ish clubs released lists

Post by JE93 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Would happily take George Smith (LB) and Jordan Preston (CF) from that Gateshead list.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Preston is more of a wide player, than a centre-forward. Hatfield may know him from their Guiseley days.

Smith is a decent left-back too.

Problem with both of these players is they aren’t based in the North East (both Yorkshire based).

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Preston has been more of a backup striker in his time at gateshead, can get odd one here and there but doubt he would be a 20 goal a season man, still a big miss. Cook and deverdics are sure experienced
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 pm

Not massively familiar with all of the players released by Heed but I doubt AA will be busting a gut to sign any of these castoffs. Would rather we were casting our net a little higher up the pyramid if we can.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:05 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 pm
Not massively familiar with all of the players released by Heed but I doubt AA will be busting a gut to sign any of these castoffs. Would rather we were casting our net a little higher up the pyramid if we can.
I certainly think there has to be some realism in our expectations.

We are quite limited to a catchment area of the North-East & Yorkshire. We pay good, but not the highest, part-time wages at this level and with that comes the reality that we are not first choice for those released from Football League sides.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 pm

Griffiths isn’t bad to be fair

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:

We are quite limited to a catchment area of the North-East & Yorkshire. We pay good, but not the highest, part-time wages at this level and with that comes the reality that we are not first choice for those released from Football League sides.
I also think we need to look beyond the idea that National League North players are somehow beneath us.

There’s some good quality in Gateshead’s released list.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed May 12, 2021 11:50 am

I think we have to look at another forward player with a bit of speed and technical ability . Hard to find these type like.
Alun signing his preferred men hopefully.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:03 pm
Preston is more of a wide player, than a centre-forward. Hatfield may know him from their Guiseley days.

Problem with both of these players is they aren’t based in the North East (both Yorkshire based).
Guess it depends where in Yorkshire, if they live in Stapleton I doubt it's that much of an issue!

Is it necessarily a bad thing to turn attentions South rather than North given our geographical location? If you get a few players they can club together, if you get even more then you move your training venue south.

Would we not rather compete with Farsley, Bradford Park Avenue and York for players rather than with Spennymoor, South Shields and Gateshead?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:13 pm

I can only assume Jordan Cook was after more favourable terms he is a good player though.

Jacob Blyth seems to bounce around amongst clubs. I am sure I saw him this season playing for Altrincham.

Deverdics has only just dropped to NLN so again should have some quality left in him.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm

Billy Clarke released at Bradford. Along with Lee Novak (from Newcastle) and Clayton Donaldson. All probably unrealistic but I'll put their names out there

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 12, 2021 7:01 pm

James Hanson (born in Bradford) has been released from Grimsby. Couple of other players left there as well. Sam Habergham (left back) and Matt Green. Although, again I doubt any are realistic.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:02 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm
Billy Clarke released at Bradford. Along with Lee Novak (from Newcastle) and Clayton Donaldson. All probably unrealistic but I'll put their names out there
Was wondering if Bradford counted as Local'ish. I've added them to the list but like you say don't see any names on the list which look likely.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:02 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:

I also think we need to look beyond the idea that National League North players are somehow beneath us.

Agreed - they aren't beneath us at all.

There seems to be this misconception going around that, due to the impact of Covid-19, a significant amount of talent will be released from Football League clubs and fall our way. This isn't the case and, in a lot of ways, the market is similar as to what it was pre-Covid for us. We are still reliant on the same catchment areas, will be paying similar wages and will still be recruiting part-time players.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:06 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Guess it depends where in Yorkshire, if they live in Stapleton I doubt it's that much of an issue!

Is it necessarily a bad thing to turn attentions South rather than North given our geographical location? If you get a few players they can club together, if you get even more then you move your training venue south.

Would we not rather compete with Farsley, Bradford Park Avenue and York for players rather than with Spennymoor, South Shields and Gateshead?
I certainly do think there is more potential in recruiting from Yorkshire. Look at some of the good players which we have recruited from that area over the last few years: Syers, Falkingham, Nowakovski, Sousa, Hatfield, Cartman, Hardy.

On top of that, I'm sure we've attracted other players from that area such as Ainge, Nightingale, Youhill, Saltmer, Hudson, etc.

It can be done, and not on astronomical wages either (apart from Ainge).

The departure list over the last few weeks has proven that having a solid NE core isn't always a guarantee for retaining quality and continuity.

Darlington has excellent transport links and is a lot further south than some of the clubs we are competing for players with (Gateshead, South Shields, Blyth etc). It's something which could be tapped into better, IMO.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:22 pm

Clayton Donaldson is an interesting one, just his name stands out given the level he's played at. His roots must be in Yorkshire, recall he played for Hull and York coming through. He must be getting on a bit now just basing that purely on how long ago it was I first came across him on Football Manager!

Alun Armstrong must have crossed paths with Billy Clarke either at Ipswich or with us.

EDIT: somehow not, by my reckoning (or wikipedia...)

Ipswich Town Alun Armstrong 2000-2004, Billy Clarke 2005-2009
Darlington Alun Armstrong 2004/05 & 2006/07, Billy Clarke 2008

So much for that theory!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 pm

Grimsby also released a midfielder called painter, seemingly born in hartlepool?

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 pm

Some faint 'I'd like him back - would you like him back?' vibes emanating from this thread today.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:57 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 pm
Some faint 'I'd like him back - would you like him back?' vibes emanating from this thread today.
There are only two players mentioned who actually happened to be on loan to us when we were in the EFL over a decade ago. One of them got injured before really appearing for us as well.

Not sure the question is on the basis of "do we want them back?" more "are they worth signing"...and not even that more "are they even a realistic signing?".

If Cook couldn't agree terms with Gateshead he could be out of reach. Clarke is an extremely experienced EFL player chances of him having the motivation to drop down are low.

Ageing EFL players are a bit of a gamble for me.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu May 13, 2021 10:10 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:20 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:02 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:

Agreed - they aren't beneath us at all.

There seems to be this misconception going around that, due to the impact of Covid-19, a significant amount of talent will be released from Football League clubs and fall our way. This isn't the case and, in a lot of ways, the market is similar as to what it was pre-Covid for us. We are still reliant on the same catchment areas, will be paying similar wages and will still be recruiting part-time players.
Just like to point out that at no point did I say that signing NLN players was beneath us. Getting a good blend of players is what we need regardless of where they come from. Personally I do think a big part of that is trying to recruit young players released by professional clubs and offering them a way back into full time football by being in the shop window with us.
A number of players with NLN experience is also necessary as well as possibly one or two players who may have extensive experience higher up the pyramid as well as casting the net into the lower leagues.
There are 3 months to the start of the season and no need to panic. Lets see who becomes available and who we can afford.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Won't post their list above as most of the players aren't actually local, but confirmed today that Junior Mondal has been released by Fylde. Potentially one who might be on our radar originally from Normanby, Boro youth etc.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu May 13, 2021 3:03 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:48 pm
Won't post their list above as most of the players aren't actually local, but confirmed today that Junior Mondal has been released by Fylde. Potentially one who might be on our radar originally from Normanby, Boro youth etc.
Wouldn’t be surprised if we get Mondal in, also a stretch but Kurt Willoughby released from there too, played at York at one point so could maybe be an option too

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 13, 2021 6:17 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:03 pm
JE93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:48 pm
Wouldn’t be surprised if we get Mondal in, also a stretch but Kurt Willoughby released from there too, played at York at one point so could maybe be an option too
Mondal is a great shout.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 13, 2021 8:15 pm

I see Fleetwood have released Harvey Saunders.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri May 14, 2021 7:38 am

JE93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:15 pm
Obviously why he was allowed out on loan to Poolie. Seems Simon Grayson is not a fan but at least he has a chance to make an impact on his loan spell to secure something there. Joey Barton could possibly offer him a chance at Bristol Rovers if he is still there next season. Hope he finds a full time contract somewhere.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 am

Cedwyn Scott released by Carlisle - think he scored a lot in a short period for Hebburn. But I have a feeling there was a lot of interest when Carlisle went in for him.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 am
Cedwyn Scott released by Carlisle - think he scored a lot in a short period for Hebburn. But I have a feeling there was a lot of interest when Carlisle went in for him.
Didn't he play a few games for us, on Trial, a couple of years ago? But AA opted not to sign him.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:38 am
JE93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:15 pm
Obviously why he was allowed out on loan to Poolie. Seems Simon Grayson is not a fan but at least he has a chance to make an impact on his loan spell to secure something there. Joey Barton could possibly offer him a chance at Bristol Rovers if he is still there next season. Hope he finds a full time contract somewhere.
I would have thought Rovers were quite a possibility for him as he seemed to do well under Barton.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:41 pm

He might have done now you mention it. Maybe worth another look?

Surprised Saunders has gone, thought he was doing well at Fleetwood.