Local'ish clubs released lists

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Local'ish clubs released lists

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Cedwyn Scott did come on trial and we signed Justin Donawa instead.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:30 pm

Recruiting at this level players that are going to help mount a promotion challenge is very difficult as effectively it is the top level of part time professionals.

It is hard for any part time club to recruit good players from a higher level as they are likely to be reluctant to switch to part time football from full time football. Its almost as if they are relinquishing hope of being a full time professional. A very hard sell for any manager at this level.

The majority of part time players are not good enough to help clubs mount a serious promotion challenge. Its a bit like being at the top of the Premier League in that most premiership players will not be good enough to improve Manchester City, Chelsea etc.

The lower down the pyramid you go, the more suitable players you have to chose from. At the top of the part time level, it is a very small pool and wages become silly as there is so much demand. For example in the NE you have Blyth, Gateshead, South Shields, Spennymoor and Darlington chasing a small pool of players.

Getting youngsters on loan from the big clubs can be good, but it is only a short term measure at end of loan or end of season you lose all players on loan and have to rebuild again each year.

I do not envy managers at this level. In some respects it is probably harder to recruit the right players than at any other level. If clubs were able to go full time like South Shields are intending, it probably gives their manager a bigger pool of players to recruit.

As Lo said, recruiting older ex pros can be a lottery. Many of them no longer have the hunger and desire that the younger players have ( Arca at South Shields is an exception not the rule). Even if you can find the right ex pro, you can't build a team of them as although they have the knowledge they do not have the pace anymore and any stay as a player is likely to be short because of their age.

Following the posts on this thread and elsewhere, it brings home the difficulty managers have in finding suitable numbers of good players. Its easy to see why managers end up recruiting from out of the local area with all the additional problems that can bring.

It will be interesting to see who all the clubs in the NE sign for next season. I can't say that many of the names mentioned so far as transfer targets for any of the clubs are very exciting (excluding the confirmed deals).

Roll on August and getting back to watching football in person not on TV

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:24 pm

Melvin Minter released by Harrogate.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 14, 2021 4:26 pm

spen666 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:30 pm
Recruiting at this level players that are going to help mount a promotion challenge is very difficult as effectively it is the top level of part time professionals.

It is hard for any part time club to recruit good players from a higher level as they are likely to be reluctant to switch to part time football from full time football. Its almost as if they are relinquishing hope of being a full time professional. A very hard sell for any manager at this level.

The majority of part time players are not good enough to help clubs mount a serious promotion challenge. Its a bit like being at the top of the Premier League in that most premiership players will not be good enough to improve Manchester City, Chelsea etc.

The lower down the pyramid you go, the more suitable players you have to chose from. At the top of the part time level, it is a very small pool and wages become silly as there is so much demand. For example in the NE you have Blyth, Gateshead, South Shields, Spennymoor and Darlington chasing a small pool of players.

Getting youngsters on loan from the big clubs can be good, but it is only a short term measure at end of loan or end of season you lose all players on loan and have to rebuild again each year.

I do not envy managers at this level. In some respects it is probably harder to recruit the right players than at any other level. If clubs were able to go full time like South Shields are intending, it probably gives their manager a bigger pool of players to recruit.

As Lo said, recruiting older ex pros can be a lottery. Many of them no longer have the hunger and desire that the younger players have ( Arca at South Shields is an exception not the rule). Even if you can find the right ex pro, you can't build a team of them as although they have the knowledge they do not have the pace anymore and any stay as a player is likely to be short because of their age.

Following the posts on this thread and elsewhere, it brings home the difficulty managers have in finding suitable numbers of good players. Its easy to see why managers end up recruiting from out of the local area with all the additional problems that can bring.

It will be interesting to see who all the clubs in the NE sign for next season. I can't say that many of the names mentioned so far as transfer targets for any of the clubs are very exciting (excluding the confirmed deals).

Roll on August and getting back to watching football in person not on TV
Can't agree with this bit.

"The majority of part time players are not good enough to help clubs mount a serious promotion challenge. Its a bit like being at the top of the Premier League in that most premiership players will not be good enough to improve Manchester City, Chelsea etc.

If you look at West Ham the best 2 players they have signed in the last 18,(not loan), have come from a league that most English fans will not be able to name more than 1 team from, and the difference is clear to see.
Last edited by EDJOHNS on Fri May 14, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:32 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:24 pm
Harrogate now updated on the initial page.

Would happily have Melvin Minter as our starting keeper next season. But imagine he'll have 1). Offers to stat full time as a back up, or 2). To return closer to London. Either of which might be more attractive than what we can put together.

Jake Lawlor also a good name on the Harrogate released list. Yorkshire lad from around the Leeds area 6'4 CB with plenty of national league experience.
Last edited by JE93 on Fri May 14, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
I don't get the way people drool over Minter.
He had some decent games but his distribution with both hand and foot were diabolical virtually every game I saw on TV.
His throw out normally went behind the player or was sent to a player who was being closed down from close range anyway and from his foot 95% of the time he kicked it into touch.
Personally I am glad he is a Southron and will probably go back that way

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 14, 2021 5:15 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
I don't get the way people drool over Minter.
He had some decent games but his distribution with both hand and foot were diabolical virtually every game I saw on TV.
His throw out normally went behind the player or was sent to a player who was being closed down from close range anyway and from his foot 95% of the time he kicked it into touch.
Personally I am glad he is a Southron and will probably go back that way
Because for the first time in years we actually had a keeper who would command his area and organise his defence. Maddison, Elliott and Saltmer have been particularly poor in this area. At this level you’re not going to get a rounded keeper that is strong in all areas and distribution is probably towards the bottom of the necessary attributes.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Fri May 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Completely disagree in regards to his distribution, thought his kicking was excellent and much better than all other recent keepers. Kicking into touch is something AA has gone on record to say he was instructed to.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:17 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:50 pm
Completely disagree in regards to his distribution, thought his kicking was excellent and much better than all other recent keepers. Kicking into touch is something AA has gone on record to say he was instructed to.
When AA said that, I thought he was bullshitting.

Even the most tactically in-astute person can tell you that deliberately giving the ball away and counting on your team of midgets to win the ball back from the throw is an epic fail of an idea.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:18 am

Also, I think I saw his name mentioned on a thread, but Rob Briggs has signed a new contract at $outh $hields

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat May 15, 2021 10:55 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:50 pm
1 game in particular,(maybe Alfreton), not 1 ball from his hand was a good pass out that gave us any sort of decent position and as for kicking no way do I believe he was kicking out to order. That is plain stupid, or if as you say AA said he was told to, that is simply his manager taking the heat off his player. On what parallel planet do you deliberately give the ball to the opposition as a way of attacking?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 am

Melvin Minter was excellent for us (4 clean sheets in 6 games). It would be great to have him back here for next season.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat May 15, 2021 11:58 am

I wasn't that impressed with Minter in first first few games, but he did get better and he appears to have an abundance of confidence which is essential for a keeper and the defence in front of them. As others have said his distribution isn't very good, better than Saltmers, but that's not saying much.

Probably an ok keeper for our league and better than the full time keepers we've had recently, but I think people are rating him higher than he actually is.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat May 15, 2021 4:50 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:58 am
I wasn't that impressed with Minter in first first few games, but he did get better and he appears to have an abundance of confidence which is essential for a keeper and the defence in front of them. As others have said his distribution isn't very good, better than Saltmers, but that's not saying much.

Probably an ok keeper for our league and better than the full time keepers we've had recently, but I think people are rating him higher than he actually is.
That about sums up exactly how I feel. Did OK the last couple of games but not enough to convince me he is a long term answer, and anyway, as I said above, if not full time I would think he will head back South. Plenty of teams at a similar level to us to chose from and close to home.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:03 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm
Signs for Gateshead.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:55 pm

JE93 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm
Signs for Gateshead.
Wasn't that impressed with him from what I can remember.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:27 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 pm
Preston has been more of a backup striker in his time at gateshead, can get odd one here and there but doubt he would be a 20 goal a season man, still a big miss. Cook and deverdics are sure experienced
Preston signs for Boston

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:43 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:17 pm
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:03 pm
JE93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:48 pm
Won't post their list above as most of the players aren't actually local, but confirmed today that Junior Mondal has been released by Fylde. Potentially one who might be on our radar originally from Normanby, Boro youth etc.
Wouldn’t be surprised if we get Mondal in, also a stretch but Kurt Willoughby released from there too, played at York at one point so could maybe be an option too
Mondal is a great shout.
Stopped clocks...

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue May 18, 2021 8:56 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:43 am
lo36789 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:17 pm
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:03 pm
JE93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:48 pm
Won't post their list above as most of the players aren't actually local, but confirmed today that Junior Mondal has been released by Fylde. Potentially one who might be on our radar originally from Normanby, Boro youth etc.
Wouldn’t be surprised if we get Mondal in, also a stretch but Kurt Willoughby released from there too, played at York at one point so could maybe be an option too
Mondal is a great shout.
Stopped clocks...
well done that man

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue May 18, 2021 5:02 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:27 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 pm
Preston has been more of a backup striker in his time at gateshead, can get odd one here and there but doubt he would be a 20 goal a season man, still a big miss. Cook and deverdics are sure experienced
Preston signs for Boston
Good move for him as his brother plays for them
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Robbie Tinkler released by York. I suspect we will be in for him along with a few of the usual suspects.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:08 pm

Who is tinkler?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:27 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:08 pm
Who is tinkler?
Versatile defender/midfielder who was part of Middlebrough's youth set-up. Played for Gateshead, Aldershot & York. From the area.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Cheers.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:56 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:27 pm
tdk1 wrote:
Who is tinkler?
Versatile defender/midfielder who was part of Middlebrough's youth set-up. Played for Gateshead, Aldershot & York. From the area.
Good shout, but having just signed Griffiths I can see him heading back up to Gateshead.

Not really impressed by any of the other names on that list.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Fri May 21, 2021 9:58 am

tdk1 wrote:
Who is tinkler?
wasn't he in lovejoy?

Darlogramps

Local'ish clubs released lists

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Rumour doing the rounds that we’re in for Joey Hope. 18-year-old left back released by Grimsby.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... er-5442366
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Fri May 21, 2021 10:42 pm

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 am

Tommy Taylor. There’s a name which brings back memories. Not necessarily good ones.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat May 22, 2021 10:39 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 am
Tommy Taylor. There’s a name which brings back memories. Not necessarily good ones.
Brilliant centre half for WHU. A real class act.
Lets leave it there.