PC Tommy Wright

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

PC Tommy Wright

Post by spen666 » Sun May 23, 2021 6:13 pm

Interesting piece mentioning Darlington in the Wapping Liar newspaper https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... e-officer/

Darlo_Pete

Re: PC Tommy Wright

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 23, 2021 6:54 pm

Agreed interesting article. I hope he does well in his new career & i will always have good memories of his time at the club. Good luck Tommy.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:23 pm

Yehhh not clicking on a link to that "newspaper"

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun May 23, 2021 7:27 pm

After The MG spell it was always going to be hard for TW but if you look at the results on the pitch higher than AA in the league launched our academy and on the way made us a hell of lot of money on player sales when he was asked to do so.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:32 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:27 pm
After The MG spell it was always going to be hard for TW but if you look at the results on the pitch higher than AA in the league launched our academy and on the way made us a hell of lot of money on player sales when he was asked to do so.
AA PPG: 1.38
TW PPG: 1.23

Taking out the three very good cup runs we've had under Alun, that is still an improvement on TW.

I thought Tommy was a nice enough bloke, but we did struggle under him despite a good budget.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun May 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:32 pm
quakersfan wrote:

Taking out the three very good cup runs we've had under Alun, that is still an improvement on TW.

I thought Tommy was a nice enough bloke, but we did struggle under him despite a good budget.
Yes cup runs saved our season to be sure - not sure what the overall playing budget is and never been sure whether that includes the managers salary hopefully as fan owned that will be outlined in due course.

Darlogramps

PC Tommy Wright

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 23, 2021 8:55 pm

quakersfan wrote:After The MG spell it was always going to be hard for TW but if you look at the results on the pitch higher than AA in the league launched our academy and on the way made us a hell of lot of money on player sales when he was asked to do so.
I see someone is on a fishing expedition.

TW in 2017/18 - we finished 12th (Wright appointed in October 2017).
TW in 2018/19 - we finished 16th.
AA in 2019/20 - we finished 10th (PPG)

In what way did Wright finish higher? This season only had 11 games so isn’t comparable.

If you’re fishing for bites, try something better. This is low calibre trolling. Must try harder.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun May 23, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun May 23, 2021 8:58 pm

quakersfan wrote:

I don't know where to start on that. TW is clearly a good bloke and did his best but the club was rapidly going backwards. The experiment with long-distance commuting was ridiculous and when he had a clean slate and a good budget his summer recruitment was largely terrible in crucial positions. We often looked unfit, disorganised and lacking in leadership and direction. He wasn't cut out for football club management but good luck to him in his new career.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:02 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:44 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:32 pm
quakersfan wrote:

Yes cup runs saved our season to be sure - not sure what the overall playing budget is and never been sure whether that includes the managers salary hopefully as fan owned that will be outlined in due course.
I didn't say cup runs saved our season. If anything, I pointed out that even taking the cup runs out Alun is still an improvement on TW (in the league).

The playing budgets are specified in the detailed versions of accounts published within the DFCSG member area. They are very transparent and informative. There is very little to be outlined in due course as the information is already published and out there.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 23, 2021 9:06 pm

I wouldn’t bite DarloFan97. Quakersfan enjoys trying to set people off.

Has posted on other threads about AA “jumping ship”, wanting Poolies to win promotion and stuff about our relationship with the rugby club.

The guy is a wind-up merchant.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Has posted on other threads about AA “jumping ship”, wanting Poolies to win promotion and stuff about our relationship with the rugby club.

Did not realise that - cheers.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun May 23, 2021 9:17 pm

I posted some unkind comments about Tommy at the time but I still feel he was a bad manager and a rehabilitation wouldn't wash. Games when we were 2-0 up and ran out of steam before losing - players not training effectively - daft substitutions. Difficult for him to follow Gray but if we're going to revise some views lets get a better perspective on MG. Tommy was a good player for the club, it might be better to remember him for that.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 pm

I said at the time Tommy Wright always reminded me of Mick Tait when he took over from Tommy Taylor, a good bloke who was more of a custodian than a manager it was obvious some decisions were above his head IE players moving on etc but there were so many occasions he looked completely out of his depth.

I was genuinely worried we may well have been relegated back in 2017 at Gainsborough, a 3-1 defeat and an abject and gutless performance as I'd seen in many years - same thing again at Chester a year later what finished it with me was when he apparently claimed players weren't turning up for training in his post match interview following that game then the following day he tried to alter his statement, I could no longer take him seriously.

No hard feelings as far as I'm concerned though and I wish him well in his new career.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon May 24, 2021 4:37 am

Darlogramps wrote:

What’s wrong with wanting all NE teams to do well, having said that Pools didn’t do themselves any favours yesterday. Also just because I may have a different view on things than you doesn’t mean you or I are right It’s just ones own opinions.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon May 24, 2021 5:20 am

Looking well for 47, never realised the police recruited them that old ha ha
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon May 24, 2021 6:34 am

shildonlad wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:20 am
Perhaps he is looking at their early retirement scheme?

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon May 24, 2021 7:21 am

jjljks wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:34 am
shildonlad wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:20 am
Perhaps he is looking at their early retirement scheme?
Yeah, retire after 3 year, coppers often used to retire at 50 ha ha
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 24, 2021 8:11 am

quakersfan wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

What’s wrong with wanting all NE teams to do well, having said that Pools didn’t do themselves any favours yesterday. Also just because I may have a different view on things than you doesn’t mean you or I are right It’s just ones own opinions.

It’s not about having a different view. You have form for making sly digs at the club’s governance, or making weird comments about the club’s finances. For some reason, you always used to post about John Woolnough.

Or having a little sly dig at AA (saying TW finished higher in the table than him, which is demonstrably untrue), or stirring the pot by saying you think he’ll leave.

If it was one or two provocative posts I would put it as a difference of opinion. But you do it repeatedly, which makes me think you’re just a shitstirrer with an agenda.

And in fairness, I’ve put this accusation to you before. I have my suspicions about who you are, and if true it would explain a lot.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon May 24, 2021 8:26 am

PC Wright reminds me of the Tin Shed in the 1970s with PC Norman Wright. Anyone else remember him? He even had his own song which a certain hooligan element used to serenade him. Of course I was never part of that.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 24, 2021 9:39 am

quaker4life wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 pm
I said at the time Tommy Wright always reminded me of Mick Tait when he took over from Tommy Taylor, a good bloke who was more of a custodian than a manager it was obvious some decisions were above his head IE players moving on etc but there were so many occasions he looked completely out of his depth.

I was genuinely worried we may well have been relegated back in 2017 at Gainsborough, a 3-1 defeat and an abject and gutless performance as I'd seen in many years - same thing again at Chester a year later what finished it with me was when he apparently claimed players weren't turning up for training in his post match interview following that game then the following day he tried to alter his statement, I could no longer take him seriously.

No hard feelings as far as I'm concerned though and I wish him well in his new career.
I remember Tait in a different way. I remember him to not have many flair players to work with so he just set us up to be hard to beat. I think in one season we had (by memory) 17 draws, the most in the league. Tommy however was a risk taker, and I’m not sure he really knew what he was doing. Trying to push both Ainge and Styche into a starting line up possibly looked good on paper but I can’t remember it working once, and there was a lot of money invested in those two.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:39 am
quaker4life wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 pm

I remember Tait in a different way. I remember him to not have many flair players to work with so he just set us up to be hard to beat. I think in one season we had (by memory) 17 draws, the most in the league. Tommy however was a risk taker, and I’m not sure he really knew what he was doing. Trying to push both Ainge and Styche into a starting line up possibly looked good on paper but I can’t remember it working once, and there was a lot of money invested in those two.
We beat Brackley away 4-1 early on in 2018/19 season I think it was and Styche got3 and Ainge the other. Completely ripped Brackley apart which is not easy to do but it proved to be a one off. Other than that I can’t remember it working.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:27 am

I remember the Boxing Day drubbing of York, which was probably the highlight of TW's time here. The fact that we lost 4 nil to York only a few days later highlights the nature of his tenure. In some games we were very good, but there weren't enough of them. We were lightweight in midfield, and didn't have the steel or nous to see games out.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 8:26 am
PC Wright reminds me of the Tin Shed in the 1970s with PC Norman Wright. Anyone else remember him? He even had his own song which a certain hooligan element used to serenade him. Of course I was never part of that.
Yes I remember him in the tinshed & the song sung just for him. I seem to remember the words soft & kite were in there somewhere. :lol:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon May 24, 2021 2:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 am
Old Git wrote:
Yes I remember him in the tinshed & the song sung just for him. I seem to remember the words soft & kite were in there somewhere. :lol:
Come on Pete bet you were one of the ringleaders 😲

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon May 24, 2021 2:22 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:39 am

That was likely the 2002/03 season when he first took over I remember we drew several games but didn't realise it was that many!I think he had a record for drawing at Hartlepool as well.

I recall we had some moments under him though battering Exeter 4-0 away in his first game in charge, beating Hull 1-0 in their final game at Boothferry Park and battering Shrewsbury 5-1 at home and of course there was the 2-2 draw with the chimp chokers coming back from 2-1 down when we were down to 10 men and of course coming back from 2-0 down against Orient in our last game at Feethams.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 24, 2021 2:28 pm

Getting that win at Hull was most enjoyable :D
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon May 24, 2021 3:10 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:28 pm
Getting that win at Hull was most enjoyable :D
I remember passing Boothferry Park on the way to the KC Stadium the following season, looked a right shithole got a shock how big it was as well it always looked tiny on TV one of those grounds I wish I'd went to just for the experience!

And of course that day we got battered 4-1, typical.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 24, 2021 3:44 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:05 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 am
Old Git wrote:
Come on Pete bet you were one of the ringleaders 😲
No it was Stiv & Jonny Rimmer who used to start if off. They'd shout 'silent night' & then duck down & hide behind fans. Whilst PC Wright was looking to see who had instigated the song, it was very funny. Incidentally for those who knew him Jonny Rimmer passed a way a year or two ago.