Boost the Budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Piggy_
Team Supported: Darlington

Boost the Budget

Post by Piggy_ » Thu May 27, 2021 9:56 am

So with four days left it looks like we’ll surpass 100k but I suspect possibly fall just short of 120k. Still a Herculean effort nonetheless.
I wondered how much of the actual playing budget the BTB scheme actually makes up? I’m guessing the bulk of it? Would be interested how it compares to other clubs in the NLN.
Not quite sure what to make of our signings so far (which might not be a bad thing). People had more of an idea last year about Dan Maguire, Nicky Hunt etc and their relative abilities.

Old Git

Re: Boost the Budget

Post by Old Git » Thu May 27, 2021 10:12 am

Piggy_ wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:56 am
So with four days left it looks like we’ll surpass 100k but I suspect possibly fall just short of 120k. Still a Herculean effort nonetheless.
I wondered how much of the actual playing budget the BTB scheme actually makes up? I’m guessing the bulk of it? Would be interested how it compares to other clubs in the NLN.
Not quite sure what to make of our signings so far (which might not be a bad thing). People had more of an idea last year about Dan Maguire, Nicky Hunt etc and their relative abilities.
I would guess that BTB is more like about 30%-40% of the playing budget. I would estimate that the average wage per player is around 15k to 20k per season so a BTB of 120k would pay for perhaps 6 to 8 players wages. Purely guesswork of course.
With regard to the signings I think we should be reasonably optimistic so far. Some of last season’s recruits were a little disappointing to be honest. Hunt Maguire and Saltmer have all now departed without even being seen in the flesh. Perhaps a bit harsh to judge them on limited evidence but that can happen in football.

JE93

Re: Boost the Budget

Post by JE93 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:26 am

Piggy_ wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:56 am
Going off vague memory, I'm sure DJ has said in the past that our playing budget sits around £300k-£325k range. Of which £120k boost the budget would be between c.35%-40% of our playing budget.

As you say the new signings are interesting cause its hard to have an educated guess as to what level of wages the likes of Beeden etc would command. No doubt that Hunt and Campbell would have been amongst our top earners last season so their leaving will have given room for manoeuvre, but what sort of costs they have been replaced with I have no idea.

I think we'll get the BtB up to around £110,000 any more than that would be a great bonus, and tbf I'm quite looking forward to watching the players that have been brought in so far, Taylor was very well though of at Scarborough and has played a lot of games, Griffiths is a competent operator at this level, Beeden looks a beast, Mondal we know has the experience of playing higher and sounds pretty direct and exciting and Hope sounds like a good prospect, must be pretty sound technically if the academies that were reportedly interested in him took a look. Looking forward to seeing what Alun is going to bring in on top of those and hoping beyond hope Sousa joins us for another season.