Andrew Nelson

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Piggy_
Team Supported: Darlington

Andrew Nelson

Post by Piggy_ » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 am

I dont know what his situation is at Torquay (he certainly wasn't involved against Pools) but surely if he's out of contract AA would be interested? From the area and looked very good when on loan a couple of years ago.

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Re: Andrew Nelson

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Been out all season injured I believe.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:38 pm

Would be an interesting recruit but would have to prove his fitness. Think he was getting over a long term injury when he came on loan to us so he has had his share of injuries. Having said that can you imagine a front 3 of Nelson Mondal and Charman all fully fit and flying.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:04 pm

Andrew Nelson has been released by Torquay. Charman and Nelson would be some forward line.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:19 am

It's been tough for him after a bad knee injury, sustained in pre-season, kept him out for the whole season. Fit and firing, he looked excellent for us during that loan spell when he was coming back from a foot injury. Wasn't it 6 goals in 5 games with 2 assists? Obviously fitness is the key word here. I'm sure he'd like to stay full-time if he can.

Piggy_

Post by Piggy_ » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 am

I’d take a punt on him! If he wants to a move back to the northeast I’m sure he’ll be in Alun’s radar.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:07 pm

Heard he was at training tonight.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:27 pm

You hear wrong

Out till Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:43 pm

e4sby wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:27 pm
You hear wrong

Out till Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looks like you heard wrong unless that was a different Andrew Nelson on the pitch tonight 😁

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 am

looks like we are going to sign him. We need to be extremely careful offering contracts to players who have an injury, I do not doubt the kids ability by the way. Charman seems constantly to pick up knocks, I would be happy if we could get a loan signing in, so that we do not play Charman more than his body can handle at the moment and give Nelson a chance to build up his fitness.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:36 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:looks like we are going to sign him. We need to be extremely careful offering contracts to players who have an injury, I do not doubt the kids ability by the way. Charman seems constantly to pick up knocks, I would be happy if we could get a loan signing in, so that we do not play Charman more than his body can handle at the moment and give Nelson a chance to build up his fitness.
Was quality when he played for us, AA has done the correct thing imo, if he can regain his fitness we could have some strike force alongside Charman.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 am

Big if though, he’s be absolutely quality of fully fit - but we are knackered if both Nelson and Charman get injured.

Still think we need another striker alongside those 2 like, what about that young lad from Boro.. Kavanagh is it? Or even Burrell..

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 am

It's a gamble, but probably one worth taking. If he can stay fit and is still the same player as he was last time he was here, then he's too good for this level.

There would be a concern in that Charman had a stop start season with injuries last season too - we'd need another striker in too. But if Nelson signs and both he and Charman can stay fit...that would change expectations for the season somewhat I feel!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:53 am

For me signing Nelson is a gamble worth taking but surely we could offer him a short term deal of some sort say 3 months. That would enable him to regain fitness and hopefully prove he still retains his ability and give the club time to assess whether we would like to offer him a more permanent deal.
There is always the danger that he could do well and be lured away but if we help the lad out and he scores a few goals what have we lost? It could also be that with his injury record part time football proves more suitable for him and he decides to stay.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:09 am

For me we should offer him a performance / appearance incentive on top of a fairly basic salary

But as some people have said previously I think he’s certainly a gamble worth taking

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:09 am

For me we should offer him a performance / appearance incentive on top of a fairly basic salary

But as some people have said previously I think he’s certainly a gamble worth taking

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:28 am

Risk worth taking imo with Nelson, if we can get him back to his full fitness he’ll be way too good for our level,

Wonder who the other forward Alun is trying to bring in too?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:28 am
Risk worth taking imo with Nelson, if we can get him back to his full fitness he’ll be way too good for our level,

Wonder who the other forward Alun is trying to bring in too?
Lets hope it is someone with a strong physical presence because we definitely lack a bit of muscle up front. Charman and Nelson are good players when fit but can you imagine a front 3 of those 2 + Mark Beck in full cry. Sadly that is not going to happen but someone in his mould or Graeme Armstrong type player would be ideal.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:43 pm

AndyPark wrote:Big if though, he’s be absolutely quality of fully fit - but we are knackered if both Nelson and Charman get injured.

Still think we need another striker alongside those 2 like, what about that young lad from Boro.. Kavanagh is it? Or even Burrell..
Think Burrell has gone on loan to Kilmarnock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:05 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:43 pm
AndyPark wrote:Big if though, he’s be absolutely quality of fully fit - but we are knackered if both Nelson and Charman get injured.

Think Burrell has gone on loan to Kilmarnock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also wonder if we will see any more of Cole Kiernan, yet to be offered anything by Colchester having been on trial there for the last couple of weeks and can't imagine it will be much longer before they are looking to largely finalise their squads with the season starting for them next weekend. Could he be one that we get back in and have another look at?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm

Andrew Nelson is a good signing if we can get him after all the s*** that's been thrown at him over the last year the lad has something to prove. I personally believe give the lad time to get himself fit and we have a winner on our hands. He works hard and hopefully stays injury free he,ll prove doubters wrong. I strongly believe he will do an excellent job in a darlo shirt with our fans backing him

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Last time I saw Nelson was at our game at York when both him and Brown had to go off after tackles in the first half, it was his last game. Came out of the club next to the ground and he was stood by himself near the ground obviously waiting for lift, I called over to say thanks and hope he recovered soon, thought he was a great player and if he can get fit will be an excellent signing.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:33 pm

Would rather have Nelson than Beck

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 pm

jjljks wrote:Would rather have Nelson than Beck
Serious “I never fancied her anyway” vibes.

If Beck had signed for us, you wouldn’t be saying you’d prefer someone who hasn’t played in 18 months.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:04 am

Beck in the 16-17 season was amazing. The season after when he was 'ineffective', Gray clearly played him when he was injured and our policy was to lump long balls to him. Unforgettable was the South Shields match when the instructions were 'Give it to Becky'. He gives any team an extra dimension if used correctly.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:29 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:04 am
Beck in the 16-17 season was amazing. The season after when he was 'ineffective', Gray clearly played him when he was injured and our policy was to lump long balls to him. Unforgettable was the South Shields match when the instructions were 'Give it to Becky'. He gives any team an extra dimension if used correctly.
I’m pretty sure that Beck started that season injured and MG played him through it

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Andrew Nelson

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:02 am

Just hope other clubs have written him off due to injuries they feel will hinder his progress and they are wrong.Hes above this level so the injury concerns are part of the deal.

Great player.

Think we need another striker as both forwards have a recent history of injuries.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 pm
jjljks wrote:Would rather have Nelson than Beck
Serious “I never fancied her anyway” vibes.

If Beck had signed for us, you wouldn’t be saying you’d prefer someone who hasn’t played in 18 months.
Exactly this. Weird that some fans go on like this.

Beck is proven, I’d have loved him back.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:38 pm

If that was a half fit Nelson this afternoon then he’s going to be a major asset when he’s 100%.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:54 pm

Unlucky not to score in the last minute, would have burst the net if that had gone in.No brainer for me, get the lad signed up as it won't take that long to catch up with his fitness if today is anything to go by.Also liked the look of Jake Cassidy, big physical presence and ruffled a few feathers, he will prove to be a good signing imo.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk