Erico Sousa

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Erico Sousa

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:13 am

Hearing he’s wanted by Grimsby and they’ve offered him a contract.

Fair play to the lad and good luck to him if that turns out to be true.

Piggy_

Re: Erico Sousa

Post by Piggy_ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:44 am

The longer it goes on the more it makes me think its less likely we will see him at Darlo next season.

Im guessing if he was at Tadcaster before us that Grimsby might be a bit closer to home for him too.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:18 pm

TBH he has been trying hard for another club but Grimsby not much of a step up, however the easier travel could be a deciding factor in their favour. If he does leave, we will need to replace him with someone quick & strong. Sousa could worry most teams on his day & I would be sorry to see him go.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:21 pm

The longer it goes on the more likely he'll sign as won't have many options left.. If hes as great as you all think he'd be snapped up by now.. Theres obviously a reason why he hasn't been

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:17 pm

karlo-cardiff wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:21 pm
The longer it goes on the more likely he'll sign as won't have many options left.. If hes as great as you all think he'd be snapped up by now.. Theres obviously a reason why he hasn't been

Errrm, how about the fact that the National League only finished two days ago?

There is no chance we are keeping him - all it takes is for a FT club at any level to take a punt and he will rightly see it as his chance to develop.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:30 pm

The longer this drags out the more I think we need to move on.

We are back pre-season training this week, so big Al needs to get things sorted.

We cannot wait forever. Yes he was a good footballer, but I doubt he is going to start at a league side as he hasn't put a run of games together and proved himself.

There are plenty of good players out them, plenty of gems to unearth.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:31 pm

karlo-cardiff wrote:

I have to be honest, oddly enough I've never seen the lad play.

But if he isn't that great anyway, as you seem to be implying, why would Grimsby be interested and why would any of us be fussy about keeping him?
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps

Erico Sousa

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:55 pm

quaker4life wrote:
karlo-cardiff wrote:

But if he isn't that great anyway, as you seem to be implying, why would Grimsby be interested and why would any of us be fussy about keeping him?
Precisely. And most contracts won’t actually start until July 1st anyway. We’re not even at the point of fixtures coming out yet. Loads of time left in pre-season.

We’ve made our offer, he’d be a great asset to the team next season. Nothing more we can do.

Some serious “I never fancied her anyway” vibes from a couple of people in this thread.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:10 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:31 pm
karlo-cardiff wrote:

While I would not go in as strong as Karlo I get his sentiments.
I have never been convinced. Yes he beats a player with ease, but too often he then either looses the ball or it ends up harmlessly running out etc. Way too often he tries to be a show pony and prove he is better than he actually is. Give me someone who will roll his sleeves up and battle any day.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Scored goals, made goals, exciting to watch and AA was very keen to keep him. That's good enough for me.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:36 pm

jjljks wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:18 pm
TBH he has been trying hard for another club but Grimsby not much of a step up, however the easier travel could be a deciding factor in their favour. If he does leave, we will need to replace him with someone quick & strong. Sousa could worry most teams on his day & I would be sorry to see him go.
Just a point on easier travel to Grimsby. According to my research travel time by road from Leeds to Grimsby is 1 and half hours and is a distance of 78 miles. Leeds to Darlington is 68 miles and takes 1 hour and 15 mins. I believe Sousa and Hatfield were car sharing so the move would not be for convenience or ease of travel but would be for full time football.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:36 pm
jjljks wrote:
Just a point on easier travel to Grimsby. According to my research travel time by road from Leeds to Grimsby is 1 and half hours and is a distance of 78 miles. Leeds to Darlington is 68 miles and takes 1 hour and 15 mins. I believe Sousa and Hatfield were car sharing so the move would not be for convenience or ease of travel but would be for full time football.
Fair point, I had assumed he was in or near Tadcaster but even then Grimsby is 22 mile further away than Darlo, so even that was wrong.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:28 pm

Signs for Grimsby on a 1 year deal. Good luck to the lad :clap:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Yeh fair play.

Another player we have seen on the way back to full time football. It did no harm to Mark Beck, Josh Falkingham or David Ferguson!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:44 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:28 pm
Signs for Grimsby on a 1 year deal. Good luck to the lad :clap:
At least the will he won’t he is now resolved and AA can get on with finding a replacement. Could be easier said then done.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:23 pm

I'm sure if things don't work out he'll be back - good luck to the lad.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Enjoyed watching erico ,a talent which can be nurtured, good luck to the lad.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:38 pm

Hear that Harry Kane is looking for a move, but not sure the travelling would suit him especially with fewer trains stopping at Darlo in future.
All the best, Erico.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:44 pm

karlo-cardiff wrote:The longer it goes on the more likely he'll sign as won't have many options left.. If hes as great as you all think he'd be snapped up by now.. Theres obviously a reason why he hasn't been

LOL
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:30 pm

jjljks wrote:
Grimsby is more than a good step-up for Sousa. They’re full-time, will be looking to bounce straight back up to the FL and they get higher attendances than us, not to mention this move probably means a pay increase for him. I am not entirely sure he could have stepped up much more than that.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:00 pm

Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that this rebuild is not going well? We have lost a lot of talent this close season and looking at the squad I'm not yet convinced the signings we have made will adequately replace those that have left, never mind the number we have on the books currently.

Pessimistic I know but a little concerning.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:03 pm

Alun has clearly put his eggs in the wait and try and get better players basket rather than sign anyone who is available now like Blyth have done. Time will tell which approach is correct

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:48 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that this rebuild is not going well? We have lost a lot of talent this close season and looking at the squad I'm not yet convinced the signings we have made will adequately replace those that have left, never mind the number we have on the books currently.

Have you seen anything of the players we’ve signed? I know a bit about Mondal but I’ll wait to see them BEFORE I decide they aren’t an upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:29 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:00 pm
Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that this rebuild is not going well? We have lost a lot of talent this close season and looking at the squad I'm not yet convinced the signings we have made will adequately replace those that have left, never mind the number we have on the books currently.

Don’t panic there are 7 weeks to go before we kick a ball in anger.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:29 pm
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:00 pm

Don’t panic there are 7 weeks to go before we kick a ball in anger.
We can't actually officially 'sign' ie. register any players for the new season until 1 July anyway.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:06 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:30 pm
jjljks wrote:
Grimsby is more than a good step-up for Sousa. They’re full-time, will be looking to bounce straight back up to the FL and they get higher attendances than us, not to mention this move probably means a pay increase for him. I am not entirely sure he could have stepped up much more than that.
Just seen that Grimsby are bookies favourites to win the National League, so obviously a lot more people feel they will bounce back too. If Erico gets into his stride, it could be the making of the lad but he will have to be switched on all the time.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Reading this weeks Non League paper Sousa got 8 out of 10 for Grimsby and made Star Man by their reporter in their 4-3 win over Barnet on Saturday. A good crowd in attendance of just over 5,000 as well.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:57 pm

Got mates who follow Grimsby and they absolutely love him.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:07 pm

divas wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:03 pm
Alun has clearly put his eggs in the wait and try and get better players basket rather than sign anyone who is available now like Blyth have done. Time will tell which approach is correct
Is it still too early to judge this?

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:21 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:07 pm
divas wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:03 pm
Is it still too early to judge this?
No!

Think we and he knows he got this one very wrong, and we are suffering for his mistake.