Attendance

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:10 am

shildonlad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:49 am
Bless. You seem to think dealing with a global pandemic which has killed millions is like getting a new job. Thick as pigshit.

You really don’t give a damn about anyone other than yourself. Certainly not the most vulnerable in our society. The ones who’ll avoid socialising, or now can’t get public transport to work in case they get a potentially lethal virus.

They have to live in fear while you live in ignorance.

Come back when you have a sensible contribution to make.
Dont be bliddy stupid, my mams nearly a pensioner but will still take public transport and socialise. As i say if folk feel unsafe just wear a bliddy mask, more hazards to worry about on the roads and railways themselves
The irony of you telling anyone “Don’t be stupid”. Thick as pigshit.

“If folk feel unsafe, just wear a mask”. - One individual wearing a mask isn’t a catch-all protection from COVID. If you have COVID and choose not to wear a mask, you’re spreading it.

“My mam will socialise so that’s fine.” Amazingly, your mother isn’t representative of society.
shildonlad wrote: Tes some will be nervous but why should the rest of us especially us young uns who have suffered so much have to keep on suffering not to mention the damage the lockdowns have done to the economy
Pubs and restaurants are open, you can move around freely, you can go to shops, to football matches, you can go on holiday and so on. In what way are you suffering?

You’re so thick it’s amazing you managed to find a way out of your mother’s womb.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shildonlad
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:28 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:10 am
shildonlad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:49 am
Bless. You seem to think dealing with a global pandemic which has killed millions is like getting a new job. Thick as pigshit.

You really don’t give a damn about anyone other than yourself. Certainly not the most vulnerable in our society. The ones who’ll avoid socialising, or now can’t get public transport to work in case they get a potentially lethal virus.

They have to live in fear while you live in ignorance.

Come back when you have a sensible contribution to make.
Dont be bliddy stupid, my mams nearly a pensioner but will still take public transport and socialise. As i say if folk feel unsafe just wear a bliddy mask, more hazards to worry about on the roads and railways themselves
The irony of you telling anyone “Don’t be stupid”. Thick as pigshit.

“If folk feel unsafe, just wear a mask”. - One individual wearing a mask isn’t a catch-all protection from COVID. If you have COVID and choose not to wear a mask, you’re spreading it.

“My mam will socialise so that’s fine.” Amazingly, your mother isn’t representative of society.
shildonlad wrote: Tes some will be nervous but why should the rest of us especially us young uns who have suffered so much have to keep on suffering not to mention the damage the lockdowns have done to the economy
Pubs and restaurants are open, you can move around freely, you can go to shops, to football matches, you can go on holiday and so on. In what way are you suffering?

You’re so thick it’s amazing you managed to find a way out of your mother’s womb.
Pubs and restraunts are open but you do realise theres restrictions, move around freely, have you been in hospitality lately, clearly not. Go on holiday, cant really go abroad can you. You dont fooking get it, theres still loads you cant do until restrictions are lifted. Have family functions, not really especially wakes for 60 people. As for that last comment, should really pm this but who cares, my mam nearly died haveing me, so fuck off you sick basted
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

AndyPark
Posts: 11651
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:07 am

*opens the popcorn*

lo36789
Posts: 9463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:08 am

It gives to confidence when the health minister says "we are heading into unchartered waters" at the same time as basically discussing taking the shackles off and speeding up.

Aren't captains / drivers usually told to slow down when heading somewhere unfamiliar or uncertain rather than speed up?

Imagine if I crashed into a pedestrian after deciding to accelerate into a blind hill. I am pretty sure that would unanimously be deemed reckless driving.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5054
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:12 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:08 am
It gives to confidence when the health minister says "we are heading into unchartered waters" at the same time as basically discussing taking the shackles off and speeding up.

Aren't captains / drivers usually told to slow down when heading somewhere unfamiliar or uncertain rather than speed up?

Imagine if I crashed into a pedestrian after deciding to accelerate into a blind hill. I am pretty sure that would unanimously be deemed reckless driving.

This reminds me of an eccentric relation of mine who used to speed up whilst driving around dangerous corners! The logic being that the quicker she negotiated them the better :D
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:15 am

shildonlad wrote: Pubs and restraunts are open but you do realise theres restrictions, move around freely, have you been in hospitality lately, clearly not. Go on holiday, cant really go abroad can you. You dont fooking get it, theres still loads you cant do until restrictions are lifted. Have family functions, not really especially wakes for 60 people.
You said you were “suffering”. All you’ve said there is pubs and hospitality aren’t operating at pre-Covid capacity, you have to quarantine for a bit when you go to certain countries and you can’t have massive family gatherings.

None of that is “suffering”. Stop playing the victim.

Suffering is a vulnerable person dying a cruel, lonely death in hospital from Covid, all because we couldn’t wait a few weeks to keep cases down.
shildonlad wrote: As for that last comment, should really pm this but who cares, my mam nearly died haveing me, so fuck off you sick basted
Well there’s no way I would have known that. If that is the case, then if you’re upset I apologise. However it clearly wasn’t a slight against your mother.

However it doesn’t change the fact you’ve demonstrated extreme callousness, selfishness and stupidity.

Keep playing the victim because I’ve got nothing more to say to you.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6386
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by loan_star » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:30 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:15 am
Suffering is a vulnerable person dying a cruel, lonely death in hospital from Covid, all because we couldn’t wait a few weeks to keep cases down.
Dont forget the ones who die a cruel, lonely death at home as they have been stuck in their home for the last 18 months.
There are a lot of pensioners out there whose only social activities have been cancelled all this time.
My mam is in her 80s and is lucky that both me and my sister live local so we can call round regularly to make sure she is ok and give her some company. However, all the things she used to do on her own have stopped. During the first lockdown we couldn't even go in her house.
Whilst dying from covid isn't nice, there are countless old people who live on their own who have nobody to talk to for days on end. Dying of loneliness, not to mention other ailments that have taken a back seat to covid, is just as bad in my opinion.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5836
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 am

As always, very little seeing two sides and trying to find a way forward happening here.

Most pubs and restaurants are running at a loss under current restrictions, this isn't something that can continue. Business owners have largely been hammered, football stadiums will be the same that to get a profit they will need to be used with full capacity available.

I think some of the ideas of perhaps a less crowded area for those concerned could be a decent idea and something the club should be looking at.

The government also need to get the behavioural psychologists to support a campaign around the risk level of Covid for those vaccinated, the fear advertising campaign deployed has worked very well that many now don't actually understand the level of risk especially for those vaccinated. This is a problem many countries will have, psychologically people have been battered these last 16 months, this is why many are worried over opening up, rather than seeing opportunity.

Maybe we need to understand the chance of getting Covid and the percentage chance of dying with Covid and then comparison versus other main diseases, this should bring some perspective to the conversation.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6386
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by loan_star » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:35 am

I can see away fans being banned for the time being although how that would be policed is another thing.
There could always be a section in the main stand kept free for the vulnerable where mask wearing is advised and every other seat out of use.

shildonlad
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:41 am

loan_star wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:30 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:15 am
Suffering is a vulnerable person dying a cruel, lonely death in hospital from Covid, all because we couldn’t wait a few weeks to keep cases down.
Dont forget the ones who die a cruel, lonely death at home as they have been stuck in their home for the last 18 months.
There are a lot of pensioners out there whose only social activities have been cancelled all this time.
My mam is in her 80s and is lucky that both me and my sister live local so we can call round regularly to make sure she is ok and give her some company. However, all the things she used to do on her own have stopped. During the first lockdown we couldn't even go in her house.
Whilst dying from covid isn't nice, there are countless old people who live on their own who have nobody to talk to for days on end. Dying of loneliness, not to mention other ailments that have taken a back seat to covid, is just as bad in my opinion.
And that is what i have been trying to say. I was stuck alone from march to june last year and folk say this covids bad and worst of all my dad was all alone in hospital dying of cancer when no one could visit and we still cant carry out his whishes, thats have a doo/wake whatever you want to call it for around 60 people. Also what about the poor little kiddies who have had birthday parties cancelled. They aint a high risk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:45 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 am
As always, very little seeing two sides and trying to find a way forward happening here.

Most pubs and restaurants are running at a loss under current restrictions, this isn't something that can continue. Business owners have largely been hammered, football stadiums will be the same that to get a profit they will need to be used with full capacity available.

I think some of the ideas of perhaps a less crowded area for those concerned could be a decent idea and something the club should be looking at.

The government also need to get the behavioural psychologists to support a campaign around the risk level of Covid for those vaccinated, the fear advertising campaign deployed has worked very well that many now don't actually understand the level of risk especially for those vaccinated. This is a problem many countries will have, psychologically people have been battered these last 16 months, this is why many are worried over opening up, rather than seeing opportunity.

Maybe we need to understand the chance of getting Covid and the percentage chance of dying with Covid and then comparison versus other main diseases, this should bring some perspective to the conversation.
Exactlty. A pub i get in often seems to have a army of staff due to needing ushers at entrance and to serve drink to tables yet less punters. Once restrictions are lifted they can operate with 2 bar staff and a glass collector. I imagine 1000’s of other firms have been hammered in the same way. Also once folk can sit closed in large pubs and stand this will give more room for quite seated areas where folk can go if they want to avoid crowds, same for sports stadiums
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:15 am
Suffering is a vulnerable person dying a cruel, lonely death in hospital from Covid, all because we couldn’t wait a few weeks to keep cases down.
Dont forget the ones who die a cruel, lonely death at home as they have been stuck in their home for the last 18 months.
There are a lot of pensioners out there whose only social activities have been cancelled all this time.
My mam is in her 80s and is lucky that both me and my sister live local so we can call round regularly to make sure she is ok and give her some company. However, all the things she used to do on her own have stopped. During the first lockdown we couldn't even go in her house.
Whilst dying from covid isn't nice, there are countless old people who live on their own who have nobody to talk to for days on end. Dying of loneliness, not to mention other ailments that have taken a back seat to covid, is just as bad in my opinion.
It’s completely fair to raise this and it is a valid point. It is an issue, and was particularly bad in the early days of the pandemic.

However with things like bubbles and newer technologies, I don’t see how Covid right now is causing these things to take a backseat. You’re completely right in that the issue of loneliness is an important one, but it is a wider social issue rather than specifically related to Covid.

And as I’ve said before, if we end having to re-impose restrictions because the pressure on the NHS is too great, it’ll be worse in the long run, and we’ll get to a point where isolation because of restrictions is more of an issue, if a vaccine-busting variant runs rampant.

As I’ve said, my preference would be to hold firm while this wave is still growing, get everyone double-vaccinated (still nearly half the population to go, with 20m not even having a single jab).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5836
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:54 am

You may agree but your responses have come across to many like you have no sympathy/appreciation of those concerned, hence some comments you have had.

I think those worried are going to have to get over it in the end, however business/football/people do need to take this into account and maybe have some understanding for those worried. As I say the government hold some responsibility on this, for the obvious reasons they have tried to frighten everyone into particular behaviours and seeing others as virus carriers. However with vaccines we need to move to the next stage, so people can start building confidence in living life again.

This will need understanding though.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5836
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:59 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am
loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:15 am
Suffering is a vulnerable person dying a cruel, lonely death in hospital from Covid, all because we couldn’t wait a few weeks to keep cases down.
Dont forget the ones who die a cruel, lonely death at home as they have been stuck in their home for the last 18 months.
There are a lot of pensioners out there whose only social activities have been cancelled all this time.
My mam is in her 80s and is lucky that both me and my sister live local so we can call round regularly to make sure she is ok and give her some company. However, all the things she used to do on her own have stopped. During the first lockdown we couldn't even go in her house.
Whilst dying from covid isn't nice, there are countless old people who live on their own who have nobody to talk to for days on end. Dying of loneliness, not to mention other ailments that have taken a back seat to covid, is just as bad in my opinion.
It’s completely fair to raise this and it is a valid point. It is an issue, and was particularly bad in the early days of the pandemic.

However with things like bubbles and newer technologies, I don’t see how Covid right now is causing these things to take a backseat. You’re completely right in that the issue of loneliness is an important one, but it is a wider social issue rather than specifically related to Covid.

And as I’ve said before, if we end having to re-impose restrictions because the pressure on the NHS is too great, it’ll be worse in the long run, and we’ll get to a point where isolation because of restrictions is more of an issue, if a vaccine-busting variant runs rampant.

As I’ve said, my preference would be to hold firm while this wave is still growing, get everyone double-vaccinated (still nearly half the population to go, with 20m not even having a single jab).
Scientists believe exit waves exist, so if this isn't the right time then we will have a wave at the time we decide to leave these levels at some point.

I don't know if it's the right time to open up in the summer, majority double vaccinated who wanted it and certainly 99% of at risk via age/vulnerable done, school holidays coming up etc. then it could be.

Middle of August/September when schools go back/universities etc. could be a bad time, October/November/December not the best time to open up as NHS will have enough winter worries as it is.

I can see why we go for it now, be interesting to see what Europe do as Spain, Netherlands, Greece, France are all on the rise in cases now. Will they keep opening up or stop. We seem to be the test case currently.

al_quaker
Posts: 5769
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:20 pm

My issue is people who have no respect of how other people may feel nervous. This applies equally to those nervous about reopening and having their feelings belittled as it does to those nervous about if restrictions were extended. As a society there's a real risk of losing the ability to have respect for legitimate but different views. Whether I agree with the timing or not, I am (cards on the table) not nervous about reopening further on a personal level, as the individual risk to myself is very low. But I completely understand why many others are aprehensive, whether it be because they are clinically vulnerable and the vaccine won't/might not work well for them and thus with increased cases some of them will die, or whether it's psychologically difficult to go from nearly 18 months of distancing back to none. I will completely respect their views, and won't just tell them to "wear a bliddy mask".

Alfie
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Attendance

Post by Alfie » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:54 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:20 pm
My issue is people who have no respect of how other people may feel nervous. This applies equally to those nervous about reopening and having their feelings belittled as it does to those nervous about if restrictions were extended. As a society there's a real risk of losing the ability to have respect for legitimate but different views. Whether I agree with the timing or not, I am (cards on the table) not nervous about reopening further on a personal level, as the individual risk to myself is very low. But I completely understand why many others are aprehensive, whether it be because they are clinically vulnerable and the vaccine won't/might not work well for them and thus with increased cases some of them will die, or whether it's psychologically difficult to go from nearly 18 months of distancing back to none. I will completely respect their views, and won't just tell them to "wear a bliddy mask".
Got to agree with this. As far as 'legitimate but different views' - this extends well beyond this virus. it seems there is a substantial section of society who take the view, not only that 'if you don't agree with me you are wrong', but more dangerously you have no right to express those views, and should where possible be denied a platform for expressing them.

lo36789
Posts: 9463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:03 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 am
I think some of the ideas of perhaps a less crowded area for those concerned could be a decent idea and something the club should be looking at.
Agree. Maybe maintain social distancing marking, allocated spaces etc.

Especially if some aren't social distancing in say the tin shed it creates more space elsewhere.

I also think click and collect is a sensible alternative to queuing for food / drink and actually makes for a more efficient service. I don't know if the costs would be prohibitive though.

We did it at a local team (attendances < 300) and basically just put a mobile number up and did a text order service. Text your order, text back when it's ready, collect and pay. It actually worked really well and avoided any queues. People would order from far side of the ground and by the time they had walked round their order was ready.

We also did a simplified menu as well. Bit of data crunching showed that during the 90 minutes of a match 98% of our sales were spread across 4 different drinks. So basically just put them on as options on the sign with the phone number.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5054
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:45 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:20 pm
My issue is people who have no respect of how other people may feel nervous. This applies equally to those nervous about reopening and having their feelings belittled as it does to those nervous about if restrictions were extended. As a society there's a real risk of losing the ability to have respect for legitimate but different views. Whether I agree with the timing or not, I am (cards on the table) not nervous about reopening further on a personal level, as the individual risk to myself is very low. But I completely understand why many others are aprehensive, whether it be because they are clinically vulnerable and the vaccine won't/might not work well for them and thus with increased cases some of them will die, or whether it's psychologically difficult to go from nearly 18 months of distancing back to none. I will completely respect their views, and won't just tell them to "wear a bliddy mask".
Good post :thumbup:
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Post Reply