Attendance

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:32 pm

It's over, look at those celebrations with the football the other day. The government are stalling to get as many vaccines out as possible. It will not be tolerated beyond the 19th July. This obsession with cases has to stop, with a majority of the cases they feel fine or have a mild illness. The whole point of lockdown was to protect the NHS, and the vaccine reduces the link between cases and hospitalisations. People who want to lock themselves away can do, but the rest deserve the choice to go back to normal.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5836
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:29 pm
Like I say, there are no easy answers. But to say “I’m all right Jack, open it all up and sod everyone else” seems a pretty callous and selfish viewpoint.

All I’m arguing for is we re-open in a way that makes everyone feel as safe as possible. There’s always going to be risk, but can we at least listen to those who are more vulnerable and put some measures in place to make them feel more comfortable coming to, for example a football match.

I don’t think that’s particularly unreasonable.
Any thoughts on what you would put in place Gramps, genuinely interested in how this will play out?

Rumours going around now that as of 19th July stadiums will allow full capacity, no 1 metre rule and no masks on entry, so basically as you were pre March 2020.

Putting blockers on fans returning wouldn't be the best business move by the club but I understand the emotion of those who are more worried than others and wanting some safety elements. I don't see how we can do it if every stadium, pub etc. is open for all but DFC want to perhaps limit the numbers, have vaccine passports, masks or tests etc. I think it will just cause animosity and give the stewards a real tough job.

As you say and I agree the answers are not easy on this one.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:14 pm

To be honest, it’s probably more for those who are classed as being in the vulnerable categories to say what they like.

And there won’t be uniformity of opinion either. There’ll many who’ll be happy to head back in as normal, and others who’ll feel reluctant.

Like I say though, when we do end up back to “normal” I’d hope the club at least consults with those who’d be most susceptible to see how they can guarantee as safe and comfortable an experience as possible. Perhaps there can be areas of the ground designated for social distancing, as an example?

But I’m not going to pretend to know what the answer is, just that I hope whatever does end up happening is as inclusive as possible.

Got to admit, even as someone who isn’t in one of the priority groups, I won’t be massively comfortable heading back into a full ground. I’ll probably do it because I want to support the team, but it’ll feel strange and disconcerting standing in the Tin Shed with hundreds of others close together.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:24 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:It's over, look at those celebrations with the football the other day. The government are stalling to get as many vaccines out as possible. It will not be tolerated beyond the 19th July. This obsession with cases has to stop, with a majority of the cases they feel fine or have a mild illness. The whole point of lockdown was to protect the NHS, and the vaccine reduces the link between cases and hospitalisations. People who want to lock themselves away can do, but the rest deserve the choice to go back to normal.
Depends how you view it. We’re currently going through exponential growth in the number of cases. Even a small percentage of a high figure is still a big number, and can easily put pressure back on the NHS. And it will continue to rise as the Government aren’t trying to restrict the virus any more.

I live in the North West, and there are hospitals around here feeling the pressure again, despite the uptake in vaccines.

It’s all well-and-good talking tough (“We’re all right Jack, let’s crack on and if you’ve any concerns then you’re a snowflake). But lots virus in circulation increases the likelihood of mutations and other variants. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see more restrictions re-imposed in the winter.

As for “It won’t be tolerated beyond July 19th”, I think you’ll find the previous extension in June was overwhelmingly supported. Indeed restrictions have been pretty well-supported since the pandemic began so I don’t see any evidence to support your statement.

And before the GB News-types begin swirling, I want restrictions gone as much as anyone. But I’m uncomfortable with it happening when the virus is spreading massively, with very little to keep it in check.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:41 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:24 pm
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:It's over, look at those celebrations with the football the other day. The government are stalling to get as many vaccines out as possible. It will not be tolerated beyond the 19th July. This obsession with cases has to stop, with a majority of the cases they feel fine or have a mild illness. The whole point of lockdown was to protect the NHS, and the vaccine reduces the link between cases and hospitalisations. People who want to lock themselves away can do, but the rest deserve the choice to go back to normal.
Depends how you view it. We’re currently going through exponential growth in the number of cases. Even a small percentage of a high figure is still a big number, and can easily put pressure back on the NHS. And it will continue to rise as the Government aren’t trying to restrict the virus any more.

I live in the North West, and there are hospitals around here feeling the pressure again, despite the uptake in vaccines.

It’s all well-and-good talking tough (“We’re all right Jack, let’s crack on and if you’ve any concerns then you’re a snowflake). But lots virus in circulation increases the likelihood of mutations and other variants. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see more restrictions re-imposed in the winter.

As for “It won’t be tolerated beyond July 19th”, I think you’ll find the previous extension in June was overwhelmingly supported. Indeed restrictions have been pretty well-supported since the pandemic began so I don’t see any evidence to support your statement.

And before the GB News-types begin swirling, I want restrictions gone as much as anyone. But I’m uncomfortable with it happening when the virus is spreading massively, with very little to keep it in check.
The Flu mutates every year - and the NHS is usually at breaking point. The government cannot save us. I am more than happy going to the football knowing the risks. If you want to lock yourself away that's up to you.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5836
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:12 pm

I don't think you can just dismiss peoples worries and from a business point of view it would be stupid to do that. I think a good chunk will be nervous as Gramps says, the friendlies will bring people back in and the likely small numbers will help test how it's going etc.

The government are moving towards jabs if you want them and move to old normal life, over to personal risk and responsibility. It's a strategy with some risk and we are the test case for major western countries I think to be opening up whilst having rising cases. The rising cases are coming to the rest of Europe anyhow Portugal and Spain are starting to spike now and then they will have to decide to follow the UK or lock back down, the bigger issue they have is that they are not as far forward on the Vaccine part as yet.

Will the vaccine wall hold, that's the gamble. It does look like it's holding strong currently although the roll out has slowed down a bit too much recently.

I am due my second one but can't bring it forward in Darlington as no appointments, even though Darlington is doing very low volumes since peak vaccines. No wonder we are looking to take some Israel pfizer, we same to have hit a barrier in vaccines.

shildonlad
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Saw the chief executive from shepards neme on the news this morning whos haveing to isloate despite haveing both vacinations and not testing positive, he said who am i supposed to be protecting, and thats so true this test and trace, isolation crap is getting a joke now
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:10 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:36 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:29 pm
Like I say, there are no easy answers. But to say “I’m all right Jack, open it all up and sod everyone else” seems a pretty callous and selfish viewpoint.

All I’m arguing for is we re-open in a way that makes everyone feel as safe as possible. There’s always going to be risk, but can we at least listen to those who are more vulnerable and put some measures in place to make them feel more comfortable coming to, for example a football match.

I don’t think that’s particularly unreasonable.
Any thoughts on what you would put in place Gramps, genuinely interested in how this will play out?

Rumours going around now that as of 19th July stadiums will allow full capacity, no 1 metre rule and no masks on entry, so basically as you were pre March 2020.

Putting blockers on fans returning wouldn't be the best business move by the club but I understand the emotion of those who are more worried than others and wanting some safety elements. I don't see how we can do it if every stadium, pub etc. is open for all but DFC want to perhaps limit the numbers, have vaccine passports, masks or tests etc. I think it will just cause animosity and give the stewards a real tough job.

As you say and I agree the answers are not easy on this one.
Just imagine if football fans, concert goers etc still have to wear masks once restrictions are more a less eased, whats going to happen when folk dont comply are stewards going to eject 100s from the venue, doubt it!
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:12 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 pm
I think it's all well and good saying 'what good are vaccines if we can't return to normal' while you are sitting comfortably, double vaccinated. Vast swathes of Britain are not yet. The biggest problem this country has, and covid has further highlighted, is selfishness. Just because you've had your vaccine, you can't demand all of society return to normal at the drop of a hat because now it suits you. Vaccines are currently moving at around half the pace they were earlier in the year. Most under 40 aren't double vaccinated yet. Kids don't have any at all (and while it might not be making them sick, they can easily pass it on to others).

I'd be hopeful for later in the year, but imagine capacities will begin as reduced. I'm not sure the earlier poster is right about stupidity. It's pure selfishness. If you opened up Blackwell on limited capacity, idiots would congregate in certain sections and leave others wide open. I don't think it's stupidity, I think they know what they're doing is wrong. They just don't care. It's not a Darlington issue, it's a wider societal issue. A significant part of the population behaves like entitled babies who think rules shouldn't apply to them.

I can't wait until everything is back to normal, but watching the entitled demand perfect normality from July is starting to irritate me. Life isn't so bad right now, and if carrying on like this for a few extra months saves lives and makes sure everyone has that same level of protection from the virus, then so be it. The term 'freedom day' is absurd.
Another few months, aint we suffered enough already, what about all those families whos still not had wakes for loved ones, they want closure
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:15 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:15 pm
The bottom line is as Chris Whitty says, it's not about getting rid of the virus which no matter what we do isn't going to happen, it's about getting deaths down to a "tolerable" level and what that "tolerable" level is, is something than cannot be decided by scientists but by government and society.

You can have rolling lockdowns and absurd restrictions like walking the long way round to go the toilets in a stadium forever and a day but the risk posed by the virus will never be truly diminished, it's futile, as I said above we cannot continue like this indefinitely we must draw a line in the sand at some point.

I do understand the concerns of those above who are considered vulnerable and their point of people not following the guidance and I'm not defending their actions (I haven't been 100% perfect myself) but sooner or later people were always going to grow weary of them and as we're seeing more and more now public compliance is eroding.

I now believe the threat of lockdown to people's well-being is now greater than that of the virus, there needs to be an acceptance at some point this will have to end and we will need to learn to live with the virus, unfortunately some people will develop a serious infection, become hospitalized and tragically will die, the vaccines reduce the risk but no vaccine is 100% fool proof it's the same with the flu it's an inescapable fact.
Been the case for years that the elderley and vunrable can die from things like flu but we have always learned to live with it. Cant keep haveing the young ones been stopped from nightclubbing, which will still not probably stop the elderley dying in winter
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

quaker4life
Posts: 2488
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Attendance

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:25 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:12 pm
H1987 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 pm

I can't wait until everything is back to normal, but watching the entitled demand perfect normality from July is starting to irritate me. Life isn't so bad right now, and if carrying on like this for a few extra months saves lives and makes sure everyone has that same level of protection from the virus, then so be it. The term 'freedom day' is absurd.
Another few months, aint we suffered enough already, what about all those families whos still not had wakes for loved ones, they want closure
It isn't happening.

We've had 16 months of this already, compliance is waining as is patience continuous delays will eventually lead to backlash.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:50 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:24 pm
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:It's over, look at those celebrations with the football the other day. The government are stalling to get as many vaccines out as possible. It will not be tolerated beyond the 19th July. This obsession with cases has to stop, with a majority of the cases they feel fine or have a mild illness. The whole point of lockdown was to protect the NHS, and the vaccine reduces the link between cases and hospitalisations. People who want to lock themselves away can do, but the rest deserve the choice to go back to normal.
Depends how you view it. We’re currently going through exponential growth in the number of cases. Even a small percentage of a high figure is still a big number, and can easily put pressure back on the NHS. And it will continue to rise as the Government aren’t trying to restrict the virus any more.

I live in the North West, and there are hospitals around here feeling the pressure again, despite the uptake in vaccines.

It’s all well-and-good talking tough (“We’re all right Jack, let’s crack on and if you’ve any concerns then you’re a snowflake). But lots virus in circulation increases the likelihood of mutations and other variants. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see more restrictions re-imposed in the winter.

As for “It won’t be tolerated beyond July 19th”, I think you’ll find the previous extension in June was overwhelmingly supported. Indeed restrictions have been pretty well-supported since the pandemic began so I don’t see any evidence to support your statement.

And before the GB News-types begin swirling, I want restrictions gone as much as anyone. But I’m uncomfortable with it happening when the virus is spreading massively, with very little to keep it in check.
The Flu mutates every year - and the NHS is usually at breaking point. The government cannot save us. I am more than happy going to the football knowing the risks. If you want to lock yourself away that's up to you.
See it’s this kind of attitude that isn’t helpful.

Off the back of a global pandemic, there will be people who are nervous about attending large gatherings, particularly when cases are rising exponentially. Especially those who are most at risk.

Dismissing these views because you’re too weak to hear an opposing view is counterproductive. Now if the consensus is to do have our football matches exactly as they were, then fine. However I suspect plenty will have concerns about attending.

I think the final end point will be managing it like flu. However I think the current situation shows we’re way off that. There’s still 1/3 of the entire population who are completely unvaccinated. Cases are rising rapidly, and will only increase more if social distancing goes on July 19th.

We might get a short-term blast of normality but who knows what the cost of that will be in the long run.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:52 pm

shildonlad wrote:
quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:15 pm
The bottom line is as Chris Whitty says, it's not about getting rid of the virus which no matter what we do isn't going to happen, it's about getting deaths down to a "tolerable" level and what that "tolerable" level is, is something than cannot be decided by scientists but by government and society.

You can have rolling lockdowns and absurd restrictions like walking the long way round to go the toilets in a stadium forever and a day but the risk posed by the virus will never be truly diminished, it's futile, as I said above we cannot continue like this indefinitely we must draw a line in the sand at some point.

I do understand the concerns of those above who are considered vulnerable and their point of people not following the guidance and I'm not defending their actions (I haven't been 100% perfect myself) but sooner or later people were always going to grow weary of them and as we're seeing more and more now public compliance is eroding.

I now believe the threat of lockdown to people's well-being is now greater than that of the virus, there needs to be an acceptance at some point this will have to end and we will need to learn to live with the virus, unfortunately some people will develop a serious infection, become hospitalized and tragically will die, the vaccines reduce the risk but no vaccine is 100% fool proof it's the same with the flu it's an inescapable fact.
Been the case for years that the elderley and vunrable can die from things like flu but we have always learned to live with it. Cant keep haveing the young ones been stopped from nightclubbing, which will still not probably stop the elderley dying in winter
A man who can’t even spell elderly seems to have decided older people’s lives are worth less than a good night out.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5060
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:14 pm
Like I say though, when we do end up back to “normal” I’d hope the club at least consults with those who’d be most susceptible to see how they can guarantee as safe and comfortable an experience as possible. Perhaps there can be areas of the ground designated for social distancing, as an example?
Good point, this really needs to be looked into.


As a separate point completely, is The Arena off the agenda now? It's just that bigger crowds in a safer setting would be available.

(F.R.O Fat Josh)
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Old Git
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by Old Git » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:25 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:58 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:14 pm
Like I say though, when we do end up back to “normal” I’d hope the club at least consults with those who’d be most susceptible to see how they can guarantee as safe and comfortable an experience as possible. Perhaps there can be areas of the ground designated for social distancing, as an example?
Good point, this really needs to be looked into.


As a separate point completely, is The Arena off the agenda now? It's just that bigger crowds in a safer setting would be available.

(F.R.O Fat Josh)
The Arena is now off the agenda which is a relief to many not just Fat Josh.

quaker4life
Posts: 2488
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Attendance

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:25 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:58 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:14 pm
Like I say though, when we do end up back to “normal” I’d hope the club at least consults with those who’d be most susceptible to see how they can guarantee as safe and comfortable an experience as possible. Perhaps there can be areas of the ground designated for social distancing, as an example?
Good point, this really needs to be looked into.


As a separate point completely, is The Arena off the agenda now? It's just that bigger crowds in a safer setting would be available.

(F.R.O Fat Josh)
The Arena is now off the agenda which is a relief to many not just Fat Josh.
With restrictions lifted going there would be pointless, the whole proviso of going there in the first place was that we could still have our usual crowds in and maintain social distancing, there are few places even pre-covid where fans were more spread out in English football than the Arena!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

H1987
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by H1987 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:25 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:12 pm
H1987 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 pm
I think it's all well and good saying 'what good are vaccines if we can't return to normal' while you are sitting comfortably, double vaccinated. Vast swathes of Britain are not yet. The biggest problem this country has, and covid has further highlighted, is selfishness. Just because you've had your vaccine, you can't demand all of society return to normal at the drop of a hat because now it suits you. Vaccines are currently moving at around half the pace they were earlier in the year. Most under 40 aren't double vaccinated yet. Kids don't have any at all (and while it might not be making them sick, they can easily pass it on to others).

I'd be hopeful for later in the year, but imagine capacities will begin as reduced. I'm not sure the earlier poster is right about stupidity. It's pure selfishness. If you opened up Blackwell on limited capacity, idiots would congregate in certain sections and leave others wide open. I don't think it's stupidity, I think they know what they're doing is wrong. They just don't care. It's not a Darlington issue, it's a wider societal issue. A significant part of the population behaves like entitled babies who think rules shouldn't apply to them.

I can't wait until everything is back to normal, but watching the entitled demand perfect normality from July is starting to irritate me. Life isn't so bad right now, and if carrying on like this for a few extra months saves lives and makes sure everyone has that same level of protection from the virus, then so be it. The term 'freedom day' is absurd.
Another few months, aint we suffered enough already, what about all those families whos still not had wakes for loved ones, they want closure
What on earth are you on about? Unless your family lives overseas, you not seeing your family at this point is your fault.

You can go to houses, go inside, go to the pub, go to restaurants, and go in a stadium. No one is saying shut it down again, but comparing life now to life over this winter is just ridiculous, and I think you know it is.

If you can't handle wearing a mask and not going to a nightclub for a couple of months, you need to get a grip.

H1987
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by H1987 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:43 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:25 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:12 pm
H1987 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 pm

I can't wait until everything is back to normal, but watching the entitled demand perfect normality from July is starting to irritate me. Life isn't so bad right now, and if carrying on like this for a few extra months saves lives and makes sure everyone has that same level of protection from the virus, then so be it. The term 'freedom day' is absurd.
Another few months, aint we suffered enough already, what about all those families whos still not had wakes for loved ones, they want closure
It isn't happening.

We've had 16 months of this already, compliance is waining as is patience continuous delays will eventually lead to backlash.
It'll happen if it's sensible. Generally, people have and continue to support some restrictions if they are demonstrated to be sensible. Only a very vocal, but very small minority want absolute dropping of every single restriction overnight. This is why the last delaying of restrictions saw very little backlash, and if in two weeks cases are still rising in this way, it will be the same. Life right now is not the same as it was over winter. It's ridiculous to suggest it. This is not a lockdown.

quaker4life
Posts: 2488
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Attendance

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:36 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:43 pm

It'll happen if it's sensible. Generally, people have and continue to support some restrictions if they are demonstrated to be sensible. Only a very vocal, but very small minority want absolute dropping of every single restriction overnight. This is why the last delaying of restrictions saw very little backlash, and if in two weeks cases are still rising in this way, it will be the same. Life right now is not the same as it was over winter. It's ridiculous to suggest it. This is not a lockdown.
I think people accepted it on the basis it allowed more time to vaccinate more people especially with the emergence of the Indian variant (I refuse to call it the "Delta" variant), it was the sensible and practical thing to do however I do not see any justification for extending beyond July 19th.

Let's look it at another way restrictions haven't been lifted overnight, it has been a gradual phased process over a period of 4 or 5 months and we are now at the end stage, yes things aren't as bad as they were and things might not be too bad for you right now but consider the widespread problems these restrictions are causing for businesses, schools and the travel industry people's livelihoods, children's education and the economy.

We have been living under restrictions for almost 16 months and it cannot continue forever, so don't be shocked if there aren't many who support your view of carrying on for another few months, I don't believe doing so would change anything.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

eddie-rowles
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:34 am

More than happy to sanitize hands on arrival BM, wear a mask , stand where instructed by stewards if required this month for friendlies but come start of the season we need to be unrestricted and financially supported correctly if a winter lockdown occurs. No more he said she said between NL and DCMS but a proper plan in place to support clubs, players and fans. Some hope eh?

User avatar
Norm_D_Ploom
Posts: 1607
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Attendance

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:56 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:29 am
[quote=super_les_mcjannet

I wish I knew how to link photo's because 1 I have got of Wembley way v Germany is disgusting. It is packed and not 1 person either wearing a mask nor distancing.
If you are outside, you don't actually need them, the risk is minimal. You had to have them on at the covid and ticket check and everyone I saw did.

You were supposed to wear them in the stadium concourse but I would say that was 50 / 50 at best and I must admit it felt slightly uncomfortable at HT.

I am double jabbed and low risk but I suppose it's the natural reaction when you have become accustomed to something different.

When I was at the Croatia game they made you wear your mask in your seat, although I was in block 102 that day :D on Tuesday they didn't bother trying !!! :lol:

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:39 am

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:56 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:29 am
[quote=super_les_mcjannet

I wish I knew how to link photo's because 1 I have got of Wembley way v Germany is disgusting. It is packed and not 1 person either wearing a mask nor distancing.
If you are outside, you don't actually need them, the risk is minimal. You had to have them on at the covid and ticket check and everyone I saw did.

You were supposed to wear them in the stadium concourse but I would say that was 50 / 50 at best and I must admit it felt slightly uncomfortable at HT.

I am double jabbed and low risk but I suppose it's the natural reaction when you have become accustomed to something different.

When I was at the Croatia game they made you wear your mask in your seat, although I was in block 102 that day :D on Tuesday they didn't bother trying !!! :lol:
Please believe I want an end to this as much as anyone. Our concourses were not open apart from the toilets at KR so no comment on that, however, my question goes to the "little" risk when outside. With numbers still going up, would it really hurt anyone to mask up when going from their seat to the loo? If that "minimal risk" can be made even slightly more "minimal" by something as simple as that then surly it is worth it to get rid of all restrictions sooner rather than later.
The photo I have was taken from the hotel at the end of WW near the station and the total WW is crowded with people jostling and turning round and into each other. We are still not well enough informed to guarantee that spending say 5 minutes near someone that has covid will not cause you to catch it.
Likewise, the vaccine "seems" to be holding it back and so working, but we still only have short term information. I find it rather funny that people saying they will not have the jab because of a fear of long term side effects and will wait to see how others react are prepared to use the argument that the vaccine is now proven to work.

Having had my 2 jabs, as I say, I have returned to as normal a life as I can while still taking some elementary precautions to safeguard both myself and others. To me that simply makes sense.

shildonlad
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:26 am

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:25 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:12 pm
H1987 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 pm
I think it's all well and good saying 'what good are vaccines if we can't return to normal' while you are sitting comfortably, double vaccinated. Vast swathes of Britain are not yet. The biggest problem this country has, and covid has further highlighted, is selfishness. Just because you've had your vaccine, you can't demand all of society return to normal at the drop of a hat because now it suits you. Vaccines are currently moving at around half the pace they were earlier in the year. Most under 40 aren't double vaccinated yet. Kids don't have any at all (and while it might not be making them sick, they can easily pass it on to others).

I'd be hopeful for later in the year, but imagine capacities will begin as reduced. I'm not sure the earlier poster is right about stupidity. It's pure selfishness. If you opened up Blackwell on limited capacity, idiots would congregate in certain sections and leave others wide open. I don't think it's stupidity, I think they know what they're doing is wrong. They just don't care. It's not a Darlington issue, it's a wider societal issue. A significant part of the population behaves like entitled babies who think rules shouldn't apply to them.

I can't wait until everything is back to normal, but watching the entitled demand perfect normality from July is starting to irritate me. Life isn't so bad right now, and if carrying on like this for a few extra months saves lives and makes sure everyone has that same level of protection from the virus, then so be it. The term 'freedom day' is absurd.
Another few months, aint we suffered enough already, what about all those families whos still not had wakes for loved ones, they want closure
What on earth are you on about? Unless your family lives overseas, you not seeing your family at this point is your fault.

You can go to houses, go inside, go to the pub, go to restaurants, and go in a stadium. No one is saying shut it down again, but comparing life now to life over this winter is just ridiculous, and I think you know it is.

If you can't handle wearing a mask and not going to a nightclub for a couple of months, you need to get a grip.
A couple of months! Nightclubs, theartes etc have been closed for over a year and cannot really re-open with social distanceing in place. And while these draconian measures in place we cant have a wake for my dad who passed away in april, in case you aint aware private functions still cant go ahead. Venues are loosing a fortune on such events not to mention weddings
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:28 am

quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:36 pm
H1987 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:43 pm

It'll happen if it's sensible. Generally, people have and continue to support some restrictions if they are demonstrated to be sensible. Only a very vocal, but very small minority want absolute dropping of every single restriction overnight. This is why the last delaying of restrictions saw very little backlash, and if in two weeks cases are still rising in this way, it will be the same. Life right now is not the same as it was over winter. It's ridiculous to suggest it. This is not a lockdown.
I think people accepted it on the basis it allowed more time to vaccinate more people especially with the emergence of the Indian variant (I refuse to call it the "Delta" variant), it was the sensible and practical thing to do however I do not see any justification for extending beyond July 19th.

Let's look it at another way restrictions haven't been lifted overnight, it has been a gradual phased process over a period of 4 or 5 months and we are now at the end stage, yes things aren't as bad as they were and things might not be too bad for you right now but consider the widespread problems these restrictions are causing for businesses, schools and the travel industry people's livelihoods, children's education and the economy.

We have been living under restrictions for almost 16 months and it cannot continue forever, so don't be shocked if there aren't many who support your view of carrying on for another few months, I don't believe doing so would change anything.
Exactly this. Not just miss nightclubbing and gigs as im a single lad and thats my life i also want dads delayed wake to go ahead, closure for family and a good get together not to mention how much the venue will make. Theres another relation through marriage we still aint had a wake for yet too. Countless others in the same boat
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Attendance

Post by shildonlad » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:31 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:52 pm
shildonlad wrote:
quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:15 pm
The bottom line is as Chris Whitty says, it's not about getting rid of the virus which no matter what we do isn't going to happen, it's about getting deaths down to a "tolerable" level and what that "tolerable" level is, is something than cannot be decided by scientists but by government and society.

You can have rolling lockdowns and absurd restrictions like walking the long way round to go the toilets in a stadium forever and a day but the risk posed by the virus will never be truly diminished, it's futile, as I said above we cannot continue like this indefinitely we must draw a line in the sand at some point.

I do understand the concerns of those above who are considered vulnerable and their point of people not following the guidance and I'm not defending their actions (I haven't been 100% perfect myself) but sooner or later people were always going to grow weary of them and as we're seeing more and more now public compliance is eroding.

I now believe the threat of lockdown to people's well-being is now greater than that of the virus, there needs to be an acceptance at some point this will have to end and we will need to learn to live with the virus, unfortunately some people will develop a serious infection, become hospitalized and tragically will die, the vaccines reduce the risk but no vaccine is 100% fool proof it's the same with the flu it's an inescapable fact.
Been the case for years that the elderley and vunrable can die from things like flu but we have always learned to live with it. Cant keep haveing the young ones been stopped from nightclubbing, which will still not probably stop the elderley dying in winter
A man who can’t even spell elderly seems to have decided older people’s lives are worth less than a good night out.
Are you part of the elderly group of people?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

H1987
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by H1987 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:42 am

I'm sorry about your dad, but why are you a special case when hundreds of thousands have lost loved ones in the past 18 months and been unable to grieve? Why are you entitled to? Furthermore, the rules on this have already changed. You are no longer restricted to six, and it's about how many a venue can accommodate.

Nightclubs and venues can still access furlough and need to be properly supported. Absolutely no one except the most ruthless wants them to go under. The arts industry is in dire need of support. That doesn't need to be done by throwing everything open at capacity and doesn't make economic sense either if we manage to spawn a new, more deadly variant.

I'll repeat the point again, millions are not yet fully vaccinated. We are still way below the threshold for immunity (some are estimating that is around 80 percent). You can't really stuff indoor venues in particular until we are at that point. Fortunately, the season is a couple of months away. Even then, I don't think we will be at full capacity for outdoor stadiums. Thankfully, we probably don't need to be. There's a difference between one-off games at Wembley and stadiums open at capacity all over the nation... and we are clearly less problematic than indoor events.

User avatar
Norm_D_Ploom
Posts: 1607
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Attendance

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:52 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:39 am
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:56 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:29 am
[quote=super_les_mcjannet

I wish I knew how to link photo's because 1 I have got of Wembley way v Germany is disgusting. It is packed and not 1 person either wearing a mask nor distancing.
If you are outside, you don't actually need them, the risk is minimal. You had to have them on at the covid and ticket check and everyone I saw did.

You were supposed to wear them in the stadium concourse but I would say that was 50 / 50 at best and I must admit it felt slightly uncomfortable at HT.

I am double jabbed and low risk but I suppose it's the natural reaction when you have become accustomed to something different.

When I was at the Croatia game they made you wear your mask in your seat, although I was in block 102 that day :D on Tuesday they didn't bother trying !!! :lol:
Please believe I want an end to this as much as anyone. Our concourses were not open apart from the toilets at KR so no comment on that, however, my question goes to the "little" risk when outside. With numbers still going up, would it really hurt anyone to mask up when going from their seat to the loo? If that "minimal risk" can be made even slightly more "minimal" by something as simple as that then surly it is worth it to get rid of all restrictions sooner rather than later.
The photo I have was taken from the hotel at the end of WW near the station and the total WW is crowded with people jostling and turning round and into each other. We are still not well enough informed to guarantee that spending say 5 minutes near someone that has covid will not cause you to catch it.
Likewise, the vaccine "seems" to be holding it back and so working, but we still only have short term information. I find it rather funny that people saying they will not have the jab because of a fear of long term side effects and will wait to see how others react are prepared to use the argument that the vaccine is now proven to work.

Having had my 2 jabs, as I say, I have returned to as normal a life as I can while still taking some elementary precautions to safeguard both myself and others. To me that simply makes sense.
You were supposed to wear masks when leaving your seat and using the toilet and / or buying food etc in the Wembley concourse.

On both Tuesday and v Croatia I did. At the Croatia game most people complied v Germany I would say that the majority didn't.

In the open air, on for example Wembley Way ( although I always use Wembley Stadium station because it is less busy) the risk is very low you need to be very close for a reasonable length of time but if people would feel more comfortable wearing a mask in that situation then fine.

Personally I wear them as little as possible as I am a glasses wearer and they steam up and it really annoys me constantly taking them off to demist them, for that reason alone I am looking forward to restrictions being lifted.

SFG
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:11 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by SFG » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:10 am

Bur regarding the original question, what arrangements are in place - if any - for anyone wanting to attend the friendly matches at Newton Aycliffe, Tadcaster etc. Not likely to be big attendances of course, but a similar match at Scarborough last year was "all ticket"?

Darlogramps
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:39 am

shildonlad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:52 pm
shildonlad wrote:
quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:15 pm
The bottom line is as Chris Whitty says, it's not about getting rid of the virus which no matter what we do isn't going to happen, it's about getting deaths down to a "tolerable" level and what that "tolerable" level is, is something than cannot be decided by scientists but by government and society.

You can have rolling lockdowns and absurd restrictions like walking the long way round to go the toilets in a stadium forever and a day but the risk posed by the virus will never be truly diminished, it's futile, as I said above we cannot continue like this indefinitely we must draw a line in the sand at some point.

I do understand the concerns of those above who are considered vulnerable and their point of people not following the guidance and I'm not defending their actions (I haven't been 100% perfect myself) but sooner or later people were always going to grow weary of them and as we're seeing more and more now public compliance is eroding.

I now believe the threat of lockdown to people's well-being is now greater than that of the virus, there needs to be an acceptance at some point this will have to end and we will need to learn to live with the virus, unfortunately some people will develop a serious infection, become hospitalized and tragically will die, the vaccines reduce the risk but no vaccine is 100% fool proof it's the same with the flu it's an inescapable fact.
Been the case for years that the elderley and vunrable can die from things like flu but we have always learned to live with it. Cant keep haveing the young ones been stopped from nightclubbing, which will still not probably stop the elderley dying in winter
A man who can’t even spell elderly seems to have decided older people’s lives are worth less than a good night out.
Are you part of the elderly group of people?
Makes no difference as that’s nothing to do with the point I’m making.

You’ve decided the elderly and vulnerable (both of which you can’t even spell) are less important than younger people.

Once we start categorising certain age groups as being less valuable in the post-restrictions world, that’s a pretty dark and dangerous pathway for society to be on.

Try showing a bit of human decency rather than thinking of yourself.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attendance

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:41 am

SFG wrote:Bur regarding the original question, what arrangements are in place - if any - for anyone wanting to attend the friendly matches at Newton Aycliffe, Tadcaster etc. Not likely to be big attendances of course, but a similar match at Scarborough last year was "all ticket"?
If it’s like their game against Spennymoor, Newton Aycliffe will be pay on the gate, first come first served.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Post Reply