George Smith

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

George Smith

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:07 am

H1987

Re: George Smith

Post by H1987 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:10 am

Best me to it. Nothing to be unhappy about here. It’s going to be odd watching our next game, so much if the squad is new

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:16 am

Happy with that one. Said in the local clubs released thread that he'd be one I'd be interested in. As said above plenty of games at levels higher than where we currently are, can play LB or LWB which allows us to play with formations in game and has a good height on him too which has been a bit of an issue for us in recent years.

Hopefully we still have some more good news to come, reckon we still need:
Experienced CB
CM
CAM
LW
CF

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:21 am

Got to be impressed with his use of the word 'obviously'. 49 times in a 5 minute interview including 4 times in one sentence. Premier League.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:32 am

Really good, solid signing. Have seen him play a few times for Gateshead and he looked impressive.

14 players in the squad now, with Theo Hudson on trial as well.

Suggests about five more new players needed and I think JE93 is pretty much spot on with with the positions.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Had 2 separate stints at gateshead and also played for chesterfiels, not a bad player
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:21 am
Got to be impressed with his use of the word 'obviously'. 49 times in a 5 minute interview including 4 times in one sentence. Premier League.
Think he might just have beaten Craig Liddle's record which has stood for a few years.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:51 pm

I think this season we'll see more of what AA is about as a manager, this squad will have his own stamp on it with most of the lads he brought with him Blyth moving on he is effectively starting from scratch this season.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:11 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:51 pm
I think this season we'll see more of what AA is about as a manager, this squad will have his own stamp on it with most of the lads he brought with him Blyth moving on he is effectively starting from scratch this season.
[/quote
I don't fully understand this. Surely the squad last season had AA's stamp on it because of the players he brought in over the previous 18 months? I do agree that we appear to be starting from scratch this season so we'll see what unfolds.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:17 pm

bga wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:11 pm
I don't fully understand this. Surely the squad last season had AA's stamp on it because of the players he brought in over the previous 18 months? I do agree that we appear to be starting from scratch this season so we'll see what unfolds.
What I mean is those lads he brought from Blyth he inherited and brought them with him when he took over here, the majority of them have now gone it's a different ball game between inheriting a team as he did at Blyth and rebuilding from scratch as he is doing so here.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:26 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:17 pm
bga wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:11 pm
What I mean is those lads he brought from Blyth he inherited and brought them with him when he took over here, the majority of them have now gone it's a different ball game between inheriting a team as he did at Blyth and rebuilding from scratch as he is doing so here.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
But he inherited a team from Tommy Wright didn't he? How many players from Tommy's last game were with us at the end of last season? So he has rebuilt once hadn't he?

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Meanwhile back on topic looks like George is a really good signing looking forward to seeing him play.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:06 pm

I have never seen him play, so from what’s been said, are we saying he’ll be an improvement on Liddell ?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:23 pm

bga wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:26 pm
But he inherited a team from Tommy Wright didn't he? How many players from Tommy's last game were with us at the end of last season? So he has rebuilt once hadn't he?
Yes, but a good chunk of the players he brought in when he took over from Tommy Wright followed him from Blyth which is the point I'm making, this time round around the players he's bringing in haven't followed him from his previous club.

I don't think I can explain it any clearer than that.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:32 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:23 pm
bga wrote:
Yes, but a good chunk of the players he brought in when he took over from Tommy Wright followed him from Blyth which is the point I'm making, this time round around the players he's bringing in haven't followed him from his previous club.

The players from Blyth did not "follow him" as such, he brought them in as part of a rebuild so I really still don't understand your point. We can agree that we are pretty much starting from scratch again this season though.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 pm

quaker4life wrote:
bga wrote:

You can try and explain it till the cows come home but you’re wrong.Armstrong “inherited” the dregs of the shambles Wright left behind but brought in the players that he wanted whether they were from Blyth or not.How can you inherit players you bring in from another club??

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 pm
quaker4life wrote:
bga wrote:

You can try and explain it till the cows come home but you’re wrong.Armstrong “inherited” the dregs of the shambles Wright left behind but brought in the players that he wanted whether they were from Blyth or not.How can you inherit players you bring in from another club??
He also inherited Tom Wade's team at Blyth did he not? Some of whom he brought with him to Darlo.

Also welcome to the club George!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:16 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:14 pm
Emdubya wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 pm
quaker4life wrote:
bga wrote:

He also inherited Tom Wade's team at Blyth did he not? Some of whom he brought with him to Darlo.

Also welcome to the club George!
You’re just talking shite now :roll:

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:16 pm
So he didn't take over from Tom Wade at Blyth?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:32 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm
Emdubya wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:16 pm
So he didn't take over from Tom Wade at Blyth?
Read my previous post.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:39 pm

This conversation is going round in circles. What we need is some football to talk about. Good news first friendly on Tuesday night.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:41 pm

Good to have a Smith in the squad again. Welcome to the club, George. Any relation to Kev?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:24 pm

Don’t forget Michael Martin or Gary all decent players.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:18 pm

Old Git wrote:This conversation is going round in circles. What we need is some football to talk about. Good news first friendly on Tuesday night.
Is it just pay on the gate? Haven’t seen anything said yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:19 pm

There's one Smith getting criminally overlooked here.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:37 am

Emdubya wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:32 pm

Read my previous post.
Rather than go backwards lets try this from another angle, rather than "inherit" lets say he "adopted" a group of players when he took over at Blyth, some of whom later joined him when he took over at Darlo. These were a group of players who he knew and had worked with already, now he is bringing in players who he hasn't signed from his previous club and the majority of those who did have now moved on and he is starting effectively with a clean slate.

As I said it is one thing to take over a team which at the time was doing well but another to build a team from scratch which he is doing now.

On another note let us hope there isn't another mutant variant from far away exotic land that will throw a spanner in the works, I have my heart set on going to Whitby!

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:34 am

quaker4life wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:37 am
Emdubya wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:32 pm

Read my previous post.
Rather than go backwards lets try this from another angle, rather than "inherit" lets say he "adopted" a group of players when he took over at Blyth, some of whom later joined him when he took over at Darlo. These were a group of players who he knew and had worked with already, now he is bringing in players who he hasn't signed from his previous club and the majority of those who did have now moved on and he is starting effectively with a clean slate.

As I said it is one thing to take over a team which at the time was doing well but another to build a team from scratch which he is doing now.

On another note let us hope there isn't another mutant variant from far away exotic land that will throw a spanner in the works, I have my heart set on going to Whitby!
Quaker4life has left the building! Your revised post is noted.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:19 pm
Sorry forgot about Granny!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:07 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 am
Vokuhila wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:19 pm
Sorry forgot about Granny!
And sometimes the Tin Shed sounds like a Smiths tribute band :lol:

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:09 pm

Appears a decent signing and with the new squad AA has put together and it takes time to gel I think we will be mid table end of season.