Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by JE93 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:30 am

Now postponed due to injuries, Covid-19 positive cases and close contacts with Covid-19 cases.

Not a particularly great start to pre-season. From a team perspective with some many new players minutes on the pitch will be invaluable this summer. Got to question just how workable this situation is for part time football going into the season if restrictions are going to be eased further on the 19th July.

Old Git
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Old Git » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:45 am

Bit concerning that we already have so many problems and are missing another warmup game. Not a good start to our preseason but at least still 5 weeks to go before the real action starts. Tadcaster would have been a another chance to run the rule over trialists and academy players. We are unlikely to be the only team inconvenienced by COVID alerts so we will just have to make the best of a difficult situation.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13338
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:06 am

I was going to go to this game, so a bit gutted. With the steep rise in Covid 19 cases, it is bound to affect football teams preparations for the new season. Hopefully the game at Newton Aycliffe game will get the go ahead on Friday evening.

MikeinBlack2
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton-on-Tees

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:42 am

I bet most of it's down to players getting notification from the NHS app. Uninstall it I say!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:42 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:I bet most of it's down to players getting notification from the NHS app. Uninstall it I say!
Given we have positive cases in the squad, that’s the last thing we should be doing.

Oh, and if we think it’s bad now, wait until cases are hitting hundreds of thousands each day.

We’ll get some short term freedoms and pay for it in the long run.

As Old Git says, we’ve just got to make the best of it, which appears to be what they did yesterday. Could be a disrupted few months coming up though.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Old Git » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:05 pm

I don’t think deleating the app is something that a club who are community based should be doing. We need to be seen to setting an example not skirting round the rules even if that means we may lose players at certain times.

quaker4life
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by quaker4life » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:42 pm

Oh, and if we think it’s bad now, wait until cases are hitting hundreds of thousands each day.
I think we have already passed the milestone some time during the last year, there's no doubt in my mind the virus had already taken hold before mass testing was rolled out and there may well be many thousands unaccounted for as it is impossible to routinely test the whole population in one fell swoop.

The way things are going though we're going to struggle to raise a starting XI for the start of the season, let's hope this is just a blip and it passes soon.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:02 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:42 pm

Oh, and if we think it’s bad now, wait until cases are hitting hundreds of thousands each day.
I think we have already passed the milestone some time during the last year, there's no doubt in my mind the virus had already taken hold before mass testing was rolled out and there may well be many thousands unaccounted for as it is impossible to routinely test the whole population in one fell swoop.

The way things are going though we're going to struggle to raise a starting XI for the start of the season, let's hope this is just a blip and it passes soon.
Yep, and on both occasions we regained control with restrictions. Yet this time our response is to remove all restrictions, meaning the situation will get worse before it gets better.

Hope you’re looking forward to more disruption next season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quaker4life
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by quaker4life » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:26 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:02 pm
Yep, and on both occasions we regained control with restrictions. Yet this time our response is to remove all restrictions, meaning the situation will get worse before it gets better.

Hope you’re looking forward to more disruption next season.
There would be disruption regardless.

To be honest I'm no longer interested and nor am I particularly intimidated by rising case numbers, the lockdown merry-go-round has to end somewhere.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:43 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:02 pm
Yep, and on both occasions we regained control with restrictions. Yet this time our response is to remove all restrictions, meaning the situation will get worse before it gets better.

Hope you’re looking forward to more disruption next season.
There would be disruption regardless.

To be honest I'm no longer interested and nor am I particularly intimidated by rising case numbers, the lockdown merry-go-round has to end somewhere.
You’re not interested in cases because it’s inconvenient to your argument. Even with a vaccine programme, more cases = more hospitalisations = more deaths and serious illness, (and with 20m still unvaccinated).

So while there may be disruption, the path you’re advocating will be much, much worse and far riskier. Do things properly and we can come back safely for the long term. Go wild for a couple of months, and we’ll have to have lockdown when cases have spiralled to 100K and we have vaccine-busting variant.

I know which I’d prefer.

We literally can’t field a team because of Covid, yet you’re still trying to argue it’s fine to carry on as normal. The mental contortions you’re demonstrating to justify yourself are pretty extraordinary.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

MikeinBlack2
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton-on-Tees

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:20 am

Maybe he meant that he's not that interested in football at the moment, with the stop - start- stop again routine. Perhaps?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

User avatar
Lawman3
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:47 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Lawman3 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:32 am

I had an interesting discussion with my GP this morning (he sits on a Covid committee). He said that, currently, 60% of Hospital admissions are people who have been double jabbed. He was very fearful about the dropping of all restrictions at a time when cases are spiralling, and believes it inevitable that several new strains will develop - there is a significant risk of them becoming vaccine-resistant. He despairs at the government's cavalier attitude towards public protection, and the impact of its messages on the attitudes and behaviour of the public.

This virus will be around for some time yet. I suspect we will have to brace ourselves for another interrupted (or even truncated) football season.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5836
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:30 am

Lawman3 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:32 am
I had an interesting discussion with my GP this morning (he sits on a Covid committee). He said that, currently, 60% of Hospital admissions are people who have been double jabbed. He was very fearful about the dropping of all restrictions at a time when cases are spiralling, and believes it inevitable that several new strains will develop - there is a significant risk of them becoming vaccine-resistant. He despairs at the government's cavalier attitude towards public protection, and the impact of its messages on the attitudes and behaviour of the public.

This virus will be around for some time yet. I suspect we will have to brace ourselves for another interrupted (or even truncated) football season.
Would love to know if the doctor is right or wrong. Tried a quick google search and the last report I can find was that 1/5th are double jabbed going into hospital (this was in June) and not 3/5th's as the doctor claims.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/nearl ... ls-1056645

This is the problem, I now have no idea what is the right information. Most evidence we have seen would suggest that double jabbed results in a lot less hospitalisation. Again for me this is where the government need to get this information out there so people understand the stats and then the risk.

On average currently around 25/30 people die with covid, not all due to covid but that's a different discussion. This is out of approx. 1,600 people dying every day, so short of 2% of all deaths are currently with Covid. Also in terms of catching covid and dying the percentage is really low, doesn't mean it can't happen but the risk is probably lower than a lot of people think.

The conversation I would like to understand is what levels of hospitalisations/deaths are the government/opposition going to allow for life to go back to normal. At what point would we start rowing back and adding restrictions again or do we have no point we would do that. Starting to live with Covid should start with some real understanding of the risk levels and a genuine conversation around what is acceptable or not.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6386
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by loan_star » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am

I play cricket with a senior doctor who works at DMH and hes says its all a load of rubbish, total overreaction with the restrictions.
Is he right or wrong? I'm not saying either way.
However when you get a member of SAGE and a TV doctor who both say masks should be worn in crowd situations, both sat in Centre Court at a Wimbledon final, then you have to question why they say one thing and do another themselves.

m62exile
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by m62exile » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:21 pm

loan_star wrote:I play cricket with a senior doctor who works at DMH and hes says its all a load of rubbish, total overreaction with the restrictions.
Is he right or wrong? I'm not saying either way.
However when you get a member of SAGE and a TV doctor who both say masks should be worn in crowd situations, both sat in Centre Court at a Wimbledon final, then you have to question why they say one thing and do another themselves.
It must be over a year now that people have been making the distinction between outdoors and indoors and the relative risk involved with each.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:38 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:30 am
Lawman3 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:32 am
I had an interesting discussion with my GP this morning (he sits on a Covid committee). He said that, currently, 60% of Hospital admissions are people who have been double jabbed. He was very fearful about the dropping of all restrictions at a time when cases are spiralling, and believes it inevitable that several new strains will develop - there is a significant risk of them becoming vaccine-resistant. He despairs at the government's cavalier attitude towards public protection, and the impact of its messages on the attitudes and behaviour of the public.

This virus will be around for some time yet. I suspect we will have to brace ourselves for another interrupted (or even truncated) football season.
Would love to know if the doctor is right or wrong. Tried a quick google search and the last report I can find was that 1/5th are double jabbed going into hospital (this was in June) and not 3/5th's as the doctor claims.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/nearl ... ls-1056645

This is the problem, I now have no idea what is the right information. Most evidence we have seen would suggest that double jabbed results in a lot less hospitalisation. Again for me this is where the government need to get this information out there so people understand the stats and then the risk.

On average currently around 25/30 people die with covid, not all due to covid but that's a different discussion. This is out of approx. 1,600 people dying every day, so short of 2% of all deaths are currently with Covid. Also in terms of catching covid and dying the percentage is really low, doesn't mean it can't happen but the risk is probably lower than a lot of people think.

The conversation I would like to understand is what levels of hospitalisations/deaths are the government/opposition going to allow for life to go back to normal. At what point would we start rowing back and adding restrictions again or do we have no point we would do that. Starting to live with Covid should start with some real understanding of the risk levels and a genuine conversation around what is acceptable or not.
Give correct information to the public so they can make informed opinion?
Not a chance that idea will ever catch on.

shildonlad
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:45 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am
I play cricket with a senior doctor who works at DMH and hes says its all a load of rubbish, total overreaction with the restrictions.
Is he right or wrong? I'm not saying either way.
However when you get a member of SAGE and a TV doctor who both say masks should be worn in crowd situations, both sat in Centre Court at a Wimbledon final, then you have to question why they say one thing and do another themselves.
Sage are still bleating on, the day its been announced things ade lifted, what is there bliddy agenda. As witty says there would be a peak on cases whenever restrictions are lifted and i agree, would be a higher peak if lifted in autum and winter
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789
Posts: 9463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:12 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:45 pm
loan_star wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am
I play cricket with a senior doctor who works at DMH and hes says its all a load of rubbish, total overreaction with the restrictions.
Is he right or wrong? I'm not saying either way.
However when you get a member of SAGE and a TV doctor who both say masks should be worn in crowd situations, both sat in Centre Court at a Wimbledon final, then you have to question why they say one thing and do another themselves.
Sage are still bleating on, the day its been announced things ade lifted, what is there bliddy agenda. As witty says there would be a peak on cases whenever restrictions are lifted and i agree, would be a higher peak if lifted in autum and winter
I suspect there agenda is to make sure nobody mistakes the government actions with their advice.

Remember "follow the science" was the equivalent of following the instructions on flat pack furniture. Well they were in the box we just didn't read them.

shildonlad
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:12 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:45 pm
loan_star wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am
I play cricket with a senior doctor who works at DMH and hes says its all a load of rubbish, total overreaction with the restrictions.
Is he right or wrong? I'm not saying either way.
However when you get a member of SAGE and a TV doctor who both say masks should be worn in crowd situations, both sat in Centre Court at a Wimbledon final, then you have to question why they say one thing and do another themselves.
Sage are still bleating on, the day its been announced things ade lifted, what is there bliddy agenda. As witty says there would be a peak on cases whenever restrictions are lifted and i agree, would be a higher peak if lifted in autum and winter
I suspect there agenda is to make sure nobody mistakes the government actions with their advice.

Remember "follow the science" was the equivalent of following the instructions on flat pack furniture. Well they were in the box we just didn't read them.
Also enjoying there time in the limelight, who had heard of them before the pandemic? Some of them are probably linked to the opposition, that susan michie sure was part of labour
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789
Posts: 9463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:51 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 pm
Also enjoying there time in the limelight, who had heard of them before the pandemic? Some of them are probably linked to the opposition, that susan michie sure was part of labour
To be fair I wouldn't expected to hear much from the Scientific Advice Group for Emergencies before a pandemic ie. before an emergency requiring scientific advice.

Your aren't the brightest button are you.

shildonlad
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:51 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 pm
Also enjoying there time in the limelight, who had heard of them before the pandemic? Some of them are probably linked to the opposition, that susan michie sure was part of labour
To be fair I wouldn't expected to hear much from the Scientific Advice Group for Emergencies before a pandemic ie. before an emergency requiring scientific advice.

Your aren't the brightest button are you.
You clearly enjoy listening to these doom mongers. Not there businesses going down the pan
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789
Posts: 9463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:01 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:51 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 pm
Also enjoying there time in the limelight, who had heard of them before the pandemic? Some of them are probably linked to the opposition, that susan michie sure was part of labour
To be fair I wouldn't expected to hear much from the Scientific Advice Group for Emergencies before a pandemic ie. before an emergency requiring scientific advice.

Your aren't the brightest button are you.
You clearly enjoy listening to these doom mongers. Not there businesses going down the pan
Not particularly can't wait to see the back of them. It would mean the health emergency is over.

"their"

My opinion
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by My opinion » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:41 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:51 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 pm
Also enjoying there time in the limelight, who had heard of them before the pandemic? Some of them are probably linked to the opposition, that susan michie sure was part of labour
To be fair I wouldn't expected to hear much from the Scientific Advice Group for Emergencies before a pandemic ie. before an emergency requiring scientific advice.

Your aren't the brightest button are you.
You clearly enjoy listening to these doom mongers. Not there businesses going down the pan
Give it a rest man, you are making a fool out of yourself.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Got to admire shildonlad. Constantly humiliated in every thread, exposing himself for how stupid he is.

Yet he keeps coming back for more.

Also loan_star, something is not quite right about your doctor friend. You’ve either made him up, or he knows nothing and should be struck off. No doctor would call restrictions rubbish, given they’re the only proven method of reducing hospitalisations (vaccines prevent them, which is different to reducing the numbers).

Feels very convenient you just happen to play cricket with one of the few medical professionals who rejects the effectiveness of restrictions.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quaker4life
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:02 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:43 pm

You’re not interested in cases because it’s inconvenient to your argument. Even with a vaccine programme, more cases = more hospitalisations = more deaths and serious illness, (and with 20m still unvaccinated).

So while there may be disruption, the path you’re advocating will be much, much worse and far riskier. Do things properly and we can come back safely for the long term. Go wild for a couple of months, and we’ll have to have lockdown when cases have spiralled to 100K and we have vaccine-busting variant.

I know which I’d prefer.

We literally can’t field a team because of Covid, yet you’re still trying to argue it’s fine to carry on as normal. The mental contortions you’re demonstrating to justify yourself are pretty extraordinary.
It's not an inconvenience in the slightest as that statement about not being interested is just that, a statement and a subjective one at that. The reason I made that statement is because it's inevitable cases will rise, and without wanting to go over old ground too much the numbers that will ultimately matter are those who are hospitalized and tragically those who will die.

You can kick the can as far down the road as far as you wish but that scenario which you described above could play out anyway, Chris Whitty said at the press briefing earlier that there is no evidence that further delay will make any difference and there will be an "exit wave" regardless of the date you lift restrictions.

You can kick the can down the road until the remaining 20million are vaccinated but it would ultimately change nothing as the risk would remain, it will always remain.

There is no mental contortion here as far as I'm concerned it's logic and it doesn't seem so outlandish to me, further delay would ultimately be futile and there will never be any guarantees. As the PM has said he hopes the road map is irreversible and it is intended to be irreversible but if a situation like the one you described arises then action would have to taken but we're not in that situation and hopefully we never will be.

Boiling this down to a football issue would be utterly ridiculous but let's not forget that over the brief 4/5 month period last season ran for 3 of those months were spent in national lockdown and stringent restrictions in many parts of the country yet games were still lost to Covid 19, avoiding disruption and restrictions are not mutually exclusive and lets face it are we really suggesting putting things off so we can get ourselves sorted out?!

I stand by my view a line had to be drawn in the sand at some point and that this situation could not carry on in perpetuity, that line has now been drawn so we can chew the fat on here forever and a day but a decision has been made and we must now move forward.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:56 pm

quaker4life wrote: It's not an inconvenience in the slightest as that statement about not being interested is just that, a statement and a subjective one at that. The reason I made that statement is because it's inevitable cases will rise, and without wanting to go over old ground too much the numbers that will ultimately matter are those who are hospitalized and tragically those who will die.
200 dead a day, and 2,000 in hospital each day too, by the Government’s own modelling. Those daily hospitalisation numbers alone are unsustainable and if they end up anywhere near that, more restrictions will be needed and next week’s grand unlocking will all have been for nothing.
quaker4life wrote: You can kick the can as far down the road as far as you wish but that scenario which you described above could play out anyway, Chris Whitty said at the press briefing earlier that there is no evidence that further delay will make any difference and there will be an "exit wave" regardless of the date you lift restrictions.

You can kick the can down the road until the remaining 20million are vaccinated but it would ultimately change nothing as the risk would remain, it will always remain.

There is no mental contortion here as far as I'm concerned it's logic and it doesn't seem so outlandish to me, further delay would ultimately be futile and there will never be any guarantees. As the PM has said he hopes the road map is irreversible and it is intended to be irreversible but if a situation like the one you described arises then action would have to taken but we're not in that situation and hopefully we never will be.
By “kick the can down the road”, I presume you mean completing the vaccine programme in the Government’s own specified timeframe in mid-September.

By doing that, the extent of exit wave will be reduced, allowing for a smoother return to normality. I fail to see how that is “futile”. More that you’re just impatient.

Instead, we have Government scientists warning of a return to restrictions by September if we carry on the same course we’re on now.

Interestingly the Government have already started adding caveats to next week’s free-for-all. Very different in tone to even last week, by all accounts.

However they’ll condemn hundreds to die each day, just to save face.

quaker4life wrote: Boiling this down to a football issue would be utterly ridiculous but let's not forget that over the brief 4/5 month period last season ran for 3 of those months were spent in national lockdown and stringent restrictions in many parts of the country yet games were still lost to Covid 19,
Now, now. You’re playing fast and loose with facts here. You’re trying to make out restrictions had no impact on games being disrupted.

In fact, most disruption happened when cases were high, just as is happening right now. Dithering Boris was more interested in popularity than saving lives so delayed taking the action that eventually got things back under control.

And happened during that lockdown? Oh yes, cases dropped and the season for the top five levels was completed. Funny how you ignored that fact.

I don’t mind you stating an alternative opinion. However rewriting history and misrepresenting the truth is pathetic, and shows how little credibility and substance your argument has.
quaker4life wrote: I stand by my view a line had to be drawn in the sand at some point and that this situation could not carry on in perpetuity, that line has now been drawn so we can chew the fat on here forever and a day but a decision has been made and we must now move forward.
Not so much a line drawn in the sand, more you burying your head in the sand. We’re at a point where Darlington cannot field a team because of Covid, yet you insist we plough regardless and increase cases even more.

You’re delusional and and the disruption we’re already seeing is proving this to be the case.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shildonlad
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:56 pm
quaker4life wrote: It's not an inconvenience in the slightest as that statement about not being interested is just that, a statement and a subjective one at that. The reason I made that statement is because it's inevitable cases will rise, and without wanting to go over old ground too much the numbers that will ultimately matter are those who are hospitalized and tragically those who will die.
200 dead a day, and 2,000 in hospital each day too, by the Government’s own modelling. Those daily hospitalisation numbers alone are unsustainable and if they end up anywhere near that, more restrictions will be needed and next week’s grand unlocking will all have been for nothing.
quaker4life wrote: You can kick the can as far down the road as far as you wish but that scenario which you described above could play out anyway, Chris Whitty said at the press briefing earlier that there is no evidence that further delay will make any difference and there will be an "exit wave" regardless of the date you lift restrictions.

You can kick the can down the road until the remaining 20million are vaccinated but it would ultimately change nothing as the risk would remain, it will always remain.

There is no mental contortion here as far as I'm concerned it's logic and it doesn't seem so outlandish to me, further delay would ultimately be futile and there will never be any guarantees. As the PM has said he hopes the road map is irreversible and it is intended to be irreversible but if a situation like the one you described arises then action would have to taken but we're not in that situation and hopefully we never will be.
By “kick the can down the road”, I presume you mean completing the vaccine programme in the Government’s own specified timeframe in mid-September.

By doing that, the extent of exit wave will be reduced, allowing for a smoother return to normality. I fail to see how that is “futile”. More that you’re just impatient.

Instead, we have Government scientists warning of a return to restrictions by September if we carry on the same course we’re on now.

Interestingly the Government have already started adding caveats to next week’s free-for-all. Very different in tone to even last week, by all accounts.

However they’ll condemn hundreds to die each day, just to save face.

quaker4life wrote: Boiling this down to a football issue would be utterly ridiculous but let's not forget that over the brief 4/5 month period last season ran for 3 of those months were spent in national lockdown and stringent restrictions in many parts of the country yet games were still lost to Covid 19,
Now, now. You’re playing fast and loose with facts here. You’re trying to make out restrictions had no impact on games being disrupted.

In fact, most disruption happened when cases were high, just as is happening right now. Dithering Boris was more interested in popularity than saving lives so delayed taking the action that eventually got things back under control.

And happened during that lockdown? Oh yes, cases dropped and the season for the top five levels was completed. Funny how you ignored that fact.

I don’t mind you stating an alternative opinion. However rewriting history and misrepresenting the truth is pathetic, and shows how little credibility and substance your argument has.
quaker4life wrote: I stand by my view a line had to be drawn in the sand at some point and that this situation could not carry on in perpetuity, that line has now been drawn so we can chew the fat on here forever and a day but a decision has been made and we must now move forward.
Not so much a line drawn in the sand, more you burying your head in the sand. We’re at a point where Darlington cannot field a team because of Covid, yet you insist we plough regardless and increase cases even more.

You’re delusional and and the disruption we’re already seeing is proving this to be the case.
I bet you look forward to a lockdown been imposed again to prove you were right, mind sage are probably thinking the same. Trust me if restrictions were largely ended in September there would still be folk complaining and there would be a exit wave of cases, possibly worse as schools go back then as well as unis and colleges. Remember sages big predictions for hospitalisations and deaths when schools opened, when pubs re-opened, was not really as bad as thought at all, this modelling is always worst case scenario. Not even fully re-opened yet and already folk are banging on about lockdown again, might happen, might not, just take every day as it comes. Would think stuff like vacine passports would be used in the first instance if things got bad, what would another lockdown achieve, cases would only rise again once things re-opened and could the government really afford furlough again not to mention the suffering lockdowns cause
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

al_quaker
Posts: 5769
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:37 am

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 am

I bet you look forward to a lockdown been imposed again to prove you were right, mind sage are probably thinking the same. Trust me if restrictions were largely ended in September there would still be folk complaining and there would be a exit wave of cases, possibly worse as schools go back then as well as unis and colleges. Remember sages big predictions for hospitalisations and deaths when schools opened, when pubs re-opened, was not really as bad as thought at all, this modelling is always worst case scenario. Not even fully re-opened yet and already folk are banging on about lockdown again, might happen, might not, just take every day as it comes. Would think stuff like vacine passports would be used in the first instance if things got bad, what would another lockdown achieve, cases would only rise again once things re-opened and could the government really afford furlough again not to mention the suffering lockdowns cause
The modelling isn't always worst case scenario - that's just factually wrong.

With this reopening, hospital admissions are already higher than the SAGE modelling suggested they would be

shildonlad
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:39 am

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:37 am
shildonlad wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 am

I bet you look forward to a lockdown been imposed again to prove you were right, mind sage are probably thinking the same. Trust me if restrictions were largely ended in September there would still be folk complaining and there would be a exit wave of cases, possibly worse as schools go back then as well as unis and colleges. Remember sages big predictions for hospitalisations and deaths when schools opened, when pubs re-opened, was not really as bad as thought at all, this modelling is always worst case scenario. Not even fully re-opened yet and already folk are banging on about lockdown again, might happen, might not, just take every day as it comes. Would think stuff like vacine passports would be used in the first instance if things got bad, what would another lockdown achieve, cases would only rise again once things re-opened and could the government really afford furlough again not to mention the suffering lockdowns cause
The modelling isn't always worst case scenario - that's just factually wrong.

With this reopening, hospital admissions are already higher than the SAGE modelling suggested they would be
Look at the cases compared to deaths lately, a big difference indeed. Dont suppose we will see zero admissions anytime soon, just have to learn to live with it
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

al_quaker
Posts: 5769
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Tadcaster Albion - preseason friendly

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:40 am

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:39 am
al_quaker wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:37 am
shildonlad wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 am

I bet you look forward to a lockdown been imposed again to prove you were right, mind sage are probably thinking the same. Trust me if restrictions were largely ended in September there would still be folk complaining and there would be a exit wave of cases, possibly worse as schools go back then as well as unis and colleges. Remember sages big predictions for hospitalisations and deaths when schools opened, when pubs re-opened, was not really as bad as thought at all, this modelling is always worst case scenario. Not even fully re-opened yet and already folk are banging on about lockdown again, might happen, might not, just take every day as it comes. Would think stuff like vacine passports would be used in the first instance if things got bad, what would another lockdown achieve, cases would only rise again once things re-opened and could the government really afford furlough again not to mention the suffering lockdowns cause
The modelling isn't always worst case scenario - that's just factually wrong.

With this reopening, hospital admissions are already higher than the SAGE modelling suggested they would be
Look at the cases compared to deaths lately, a big difference indeed. Dont suppose we will see zero admissions anytime soon, seems this is what sage expect
No that isn't what SAGE expect at all - so factually incorrect again.

Post Reply