Arthur Wharton mural

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
lo36789
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Arthur Wharton mural

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:17 am

The latest additions from Shaun Campbell in response to the recent events with the England team have been defaced.

To quote "WE DO NOT STAND WITH THE 3 BLACK LIONS" plus a remark around "#wakeup whites becoming a minority in the UK by 2060" - regardless of accuracy I can't quite comprehend the active concern...people are people.

It is beyond upsetting and enraging to see it so visually.

Impossible to expect the culprits to be identified, the only thing you can hope is it generates conversation and can lead to the direct addressing / challenging of those who uphold these views.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Git
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton murial

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 am

The vast majority of the population abhor such behaviour but sadly a hard core minority continue to let us down with their views. We need to call out these idiots and make them the outsiders in society not the people they abuse. Racial intolerance has no place in our society and those who express it should have no place either.

Yarblockos
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:12 pm

Its almost as if by painting this mural he was expecting this to happen.

Yarblockos
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:18 pm

In the Echo, Shaun Campbell claims that footballers who cost England matches in the past have "not seen a sliver of abuse". Really? The guy is a fantasist.

Old Git
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:27 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:12 pm
Its almost as if by painting this mural he was expecting this to happen.
Really! Hope you are not being serious.

Yarblockos
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:34 pm

Is there anyone who didn't expect it to happen? You've seen what happened to other murals. Did he think it was going to bring peace and harmony to the world? People don't tend to think of England players who missed crucial peanlties as heroes. In the past England players took awful abuse. An efigy of Beckham was hung from a lampost for god's sake. He completely ignores this but now he can claim how terrible things are.

quaker4life
Posts: 2488
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by quaker4life » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:18 pm
In the Echo, Shaun Campbell claims that footballers who cost England matches in the past have "not seen a sliver of abuse". Really? The guy is a fantasist.
Surely he can recall that infamous effigy of David Beckham hung from a sign outside a pub after his sending off against Argentina in the '98 World Cup?! The Bloke got crucified by fans and press alike.

However he answered his critics in the best way imaginable when he emerged a year later as a treble winner.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Old Git
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:07 pm

Sadly it was not a surprise that there was abuse of our black players. Also sadly you seem to think it is somehow acceptable because it has happened in the past. Have we not moved forward at all in recent years. Also you seem to ignore that this abuse is also racist which makes it worse. You idiots are as bad as the abusers with your pathetic attitude.

bga
Posts: 1745
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by bga » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:13 pm

.....Or Southgate having to wear a paper Bag over his head in Pizza Hut.....though he probably made a bit of money out of that!

Darlogramps
Posts: 5582
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:38 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Is there anyone who didn't expect it to happen? You've seen what happened to other murals. Did he think it was going to bring peace and harmony to the world? People don't tend to think of England players who missed crucial peanlties as heroes. In the past England players took awful abuse. An efigy of Beckham was hung from a lampost for god's sake. He completely ignores this but now he can claim how terrible things are.
Isn’t the point that people shouldn’t be putting racist messages on the mural in the first place? The mural wasn’t harming anyone so there was no reason to deface it, let alone with racist messaging.

Maybe I’m a stuck in the mud, but I find hanging effigies of players, or writing racist messages about them, purely for something that happened in a football match to be disgraceful and something that has no place in any civilised society.

For some weird reason, some people view footballers as fair game. As if general decency can go out of the window.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:55 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:38 pm
Yarblockos wrote:Is there anyone who didn't expect it to happen? You've seen what happened to other murals. Did he think it was going to bring peace and harmony to the world? People don't tend to think of England players who missed crucial peanlties as heroes. In the past England players took awful abuse. An efigy of Beckham was hung from a lampost for god's sake. He completely ignores this but now he can claim how terrible things are.
Isn’t the point that people shouldn’t be putting racist messages on the mural in the first place? The mural wasn’t harming anyone so there was no reason to deface it, let alone with racist messaging.

Maybe I’m a stuck in the mud, but I find hanging effigies of players, or writing racist messages about them, purely for something that happened in a football match to be disgraceful and something that has no place in any civilised society.

For some weird reason, some people view footballers as fair game. As if general decency can go out of the window.
Not often we agree but you are totally correct on this one.

quakersfan
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by quakersfan » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:04 pm

Unfortunately like a lot of Northern towns Darlington has a lot of uneducated racists who are only concerned with skin colour, they follow DFC and we all know who they are you just have to hear the comments in the tin shed.

Yarblockos
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:30 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:38 pm
Yarblockos wrote:Is there anyone who didn't expect it to happen? You've seen what happened to other murals. Did he think it was going to bring peace and harmony to the world? People don't tend to think of England players who missed crucial peanlties as heroes. In the past England players took awful abuse. An efigy of Beckham was hung from a lampost for god's sake. He completely ignores this but now he can claim how terrible things are.
Isn’t the point that people shouldn’t be putting racist messages on the mural in the first place? The mural wasn’t harming anyone so there was no reason to deface it, let alone with racist messaging.

Maybe I’m a stuck in the mud, but I find hanging effigies of players, or writing racist messages about them, purely for something that happened in a football match to be disgraceful and something that has no place in any civilised society.

For some weird reason, some people view footballers as fair game. As if general decency can go out of the window.
You are correct, abusing players is disgraceful, and as others have pointed out, just because it happened before does not mean it is OK now. But Shaun Campbell says it didn't happen before, that there wasn't "a sliver of abuse" of white England players, and that we only see all this abuse now because the players are black. That's what he said, not me. I don't believe the guy is acting in good faith.

User avatar
darlogav
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:42 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by darlogav » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:53 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:18 pm
In the Echo, Shaun Campbell claims that footballers who cost England matches in the past have "not seen a sliver of abuse". Really? The guy is a fantasist.
Your quote wasn't from Shaun Campbell - read the article again. If you're going to shoot someone down, get your facts right.

I think as Darlo fans, we can all get behind the key message here, which is that the racist abuse was sickening and belongs long ago in the past. I mean...monkey emojis... ffs.

Yarblockos
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 pm

darlogav wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:53 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:18 pm
In the Echo, Shaun Campbell claims that footballers who cost England matches in the past have "not seen a sliver of abuse". Really? The guy is a fantasist.
Your quote wasn't from Shaun Campbell - read the article again. If you're going to shoot someone down, get your facts right.

I think as Darlo fans, we can all get behind the key message here, which is that the racist abuse was sickening and belongs long ago in the past. I mean...monkey emojis... ffs.
My apologies, the fantasist is Liam Tuckwood, the secretary of the Darlington branch of Stand up to Racism. If we want to defeat racism, it won't happen by being guided by people like him who paint a blatantly disorted view of the past. Liam Tuckwood is a revolutionary communist, this is not about racism for them, it never is.

murtonquakerfan
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:16 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Murton, Co. Durham
Contact:

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by murtonquakerfan » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:24 am

Charity dedicated to first Black pro footballer vandalised with racist graffiti


I've got no words...

Well, I do have one or two very strong ones...

If found, should be banned, for life, not only from Darlington matches, if they call themselves Darlo fans, but from just about anything that resembles a game of football.

They are absolute vile scumbags...
Metro wrote:Murals at the charity HQ of the world’s first professional black footballer have been defaced with graffiti.
The artwork includes the shirt numbers of England’s trio who missed penalties in Sunday’s Euros final – Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka.
It’s drawn on the walls of the Arthur Wharton Foundation building in Darlington, a charity dedicated to the legacy of the trailblazing former goalkeeper.
The message ‘We do not stand with the 3 black lions’ was written underneath the players’ numbers – 11, 17 and 25.
A second lament about the ‘current rate of non-white immigration’ was scrawled underneath a blue and red mural of the Three Lions crest.
The racist messages have since been removed and have been widely condemned.
Darlington MP Peter Gibson said: ‘The Arthur Wharton Foundation has done much to promote understanding of the contribution of black footballers throughout our history.
‘I am appalled by the vandalism, and the racism that has been daubed on the murals.

Arthur Wharton played in goal for Darlington Football Club (Picture: North News & Pictures)
‘Our town is an open welcoming place to all people. Those responsible for this graffiti should be identified and punished.’
Police said they are investigating. Rashford, Sancho and Saka have been subject to a torrent of racist abuse since England’s heartbreaking loss to Italy at Wembley.
A mural of Rashford in Manchester was vandalised and the Football Association has been charged with four offences by Uefa over the unruly behaviour of fans.
Wharton signed as Darlington FC’s goalie for the 1885-86 season, becoming the first black professional footballer in the world.
Alongside his football career, he became the fastest man in the world by running 100 yards in 10 seconds flat at Stamford Bridge in London in July 1886.

The foundation said the ‘eccentric’ Wharton would use his speed to good effect by ‘waiting in a crouching position at the side of the goal before rushing out to save the ball’.
They said they commissioned the artwork as ‘a testament to courage and endeavour’.
The charity said: ‘We will never know the pressure of taking a penalty in front of the eyes of the world. To the ignorant and the haters: love will always conquer hate.’
A spokesperson for Durham Police said: ‘Officers are investigating following reports of damage to the Arthur Wharton mural, in Darlington, overnight on Friday, July 16.’

User avatar
darlogav
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:42 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by darlogav » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:57 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 pm
darlogav wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:53 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:18 pm
In the Echo, Shaun Campbell claims that footballers who cost England matches in the past have "not seen a sliver of abuse". Really? The guy is a fantasist.
Your quote wasn't from Shaun Campbell - read the article again. If you're going to shoot someone down, get your facts right.

I think as Darlo fans, we can all get behind the key message here, which is that the racist abuse was sickening and belongs long ago in the past. I mean...monkey emojis... ffs.
My apologies, the fantasist is Liam Tuckwood, the secretary of the Darlington branch of Stand up to Racism. If we want to defeat racism, it won't happen by being guided by people like him who paint a blatantly disorted view of the past. Liam Tuckwood is a revolutionary communist, this is not about racism for them, it never is.
It doesn't matter which side of the political spectrum you're on. Racism is racism. You're overcomplicating the issue here.

1. English players suffer racial abuse.

2. People show solidarity and understanding via a mural and protest.

3. Said mural gets vandalised with racist graffit.

4. People speak out against this.

That's as simple as it is for me. I'm hoping you're just trying to put across the point that we need support from more political factions than just the left, but please don't discredit people that stand up so strongly for this cause.

lo36789
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:46 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 pm
My apologies, the fantasist is Liam Tuckwood, the secretary of the Darlington branch of Stand up to Racism. If we want to defeat racism, it won't happen by being guided by people like him who paint a blatantly disorted view of the past. Liam Tuckwood is a revolutionary communist, this is not about racism for them, it never is.
a) so do you take back your suggestion that the whole thing was a deliberate act by Shaun Campbell to trigger a response?

b) "guided by people like him" sorry but I am not sure I am seeking guides for a route out of racism. The principle stands on its own two feet.

c) Surely a distortion would to make this about Liam Tuckwood's political leanings. Funny enough if I see someone condemn racism my instant response isn't to check their political allegiance - see above the principle stands on its own.

Reality is the words written were nothing to do with the penalty shootout that is what is more chilling.

The fact that anybody has a response to a mural about a penalty shootout which immediately turns to immigration and the ethnic proportions of a land mass is actually indicative of the issue.

Had the messages simply been about the individuals who missed that would be on par with Beckham.

Id hope the events in Canada and Germany in the past week had taught people something...it is the human race which will die out if we keep looking after national interests and not seeing ourselves as the population of earth.

Yarblockos
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:55 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:46 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 pm
My apologies, the fantasist is Liam Tuckwood, the secretary of the Darlington branch of Stand up to Racism. If we want to defeat racism, it won't happen by being guided by people like him who paint a blatantly disorted view of the past. Liam Tuckwood is a revolutionary communist, this is not about racism for them, it never is.
a) so do you take back your suggestion that the whole thing was a deliberate act by Shaun Campbell to trigger a response?

b) "guided by people like him" sorry but I am not sure I am seeking guides for a route out of racism. The principle stands on its own two feet.

c) Surely a distortion would to make this about Liam Tuckwood's political leanings. Funny enough if I see someone condemn racism my instant response isn't to check their political allegiance - see above the principle stands on its own.

Reality is the words written were nothing to do with the penalty shootout that is what is more chilling.

The fact that anybody has a response to a mural about a penalty shootout which immediately turns to immigration and the ethnic proportions of a land mass is actually indicative of the issue.

Had the messages simply been about the individuals who missed that would be on par with Beckham.

Id hope the events in Canada and Germany in the past week had taught people something...it is the human race which will die out if we keep looking after national interests and not seeing ourselves as the population of earth.
I didn't look at his poltical leanings because he condenmed racism, I looked to see who he was because he so so blatantly lied about the past. Why would someone do that?

They see on the news that a mural for Marcus Rashford got vandalised and got huge amounts of attention, and then they have the idea to paint their own mural. How on Earth could they ever forsee that it would also get vandalised? Communists and race baiters aren't interested in racial harmony, they want to exploit divisions in order to stir up dissent, they want conflict and they want power. That mural was not painted in order to spread love or support to anyone, it got exactly the response they wanted. A few bone-headed racists were drawn to it like flies allowing the anti-racists to declare that we have a huge racism problem that only they can solve. Yes, the people who vandalised it were racists, because it was bait for racists. I believe that those who came up with idea (whoever it was) did so to trigger a response. You may disagree and think it was done for peace and harmony, fair enough, I don't, but I think this is now a bit too much off-topic for the football forum.

lo36789
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arthur Wharton mural

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:00 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:55 pm
You may disagree and think it was done for peace and harmony, fair enough, I don't, but I think this is now a bit too much off-topic for the football forum.
It's a mural of one of our ex players, and the England football team. It is bang on topic, and a view that it can just be pushed to the side as "not relevant" isn't good enough.

I don't think it was done for peace and harmony.

Art is usually inspired by emotional response to events and observations...I believe that's what it was. I don't think it was ever badged as anything more.

1. Nothing excuses the response and what was subsequently written. Nothing.

If your belief is that there is some justification, it was to be expected, this is what "they" wanted to happen etc. You are wrong.

If your response is anything other than "that is inexcusable and wrong" then I will keep telling you that you are wrong.

Post Reply