Pre Season Friendlies

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lawman3
Team Supported: Darlington

Pre Season Friendlies

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:05 am

Any idea if the upcoming friendlies will be live streamed on Quaker TV?

I appreciate that it may not be worth the hassle if the take up is low (with fans being allowed at the game in person). I'm sure there are others, like myself, for whom a return to normal may not be feasible, as well as those who have tested positive, or are isolating.

I'll try to avoid another debate about lockdown restrictions (or lack of them), but will say that, as cases are spiralling, particularly in the North East, it is likely to impact on attendances.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlo_Rob

Re: Pre Season Friendlies

Post by Darlo_Rob » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:19 am

I would love it if they did. 16 months without without seeing Darlo play and the week before I get the chance, I test positive for Covid so have to self isolate. I realise it's just a friendly, but I'm still disappointed, even though I'll be able to make the Harrogate match.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:24 am

My own perspective has never seen Darlo play at BM, never missed a quaker tv game.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 am

I can go to the ball. Well done Quaker TV.

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/newcast ... _U4XygnGM4
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:12 am

I wonder there is a plan for league matches to be streamed - or if it's even allowed this season

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:48 am

I know that it isn't allowed at National League level, due to the League's contract with BT Sport. I've seen that Altrincham are one of the clubs wanting this to change. I'm not sure if NLN and NLS clubs are bound by the same restrictions (though the League probably has a one-size-fits-all approach). It's time for the League to make a decision that benefits the clubs, but, from their recent behaviour, I've no confidence that this will happen.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 am

Lawman3 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:48 am
I know that it isn't allowed at National League level, due to the League's contract with BT Sport. I've seen that Altrincham are one of the clubs wanting this to change. I'm not sure if NLN and NLS clubs are bound by the same restrictions (though the League probably has a one-size-fits-all approach). It's time for the League to make a decision that benefits the clubs, but, from their recent behaviour, I've no confidence that this will happen.
It's not allowed at any level of football in England, or Europe for that matter to broadcast 3PM kick offs (equivalent standard kick off times).

Actually nothing to do with league contract with BT Sport, it is law. An exception was sought last season whilst fans couldn't attend.

It was done to protect lower league clubs. To encourage / enable spectators to go to games in person. It is a competition law 'thing'.

But don't let that stop you blaming the league 🤣 they have said they are waiting for confirmation on whether legally it can be done.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:31 am

Haven't the Southern League got some sort of deal to do this now

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:12 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 am
Lawman3 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:48 am
It's not allowed at any level of football in England, or Europe for that matter to broadcast 3PM kick offs (equivalent standard kick off times).

Actually nothing to do with league contract with BT Sport, it is law. An exception was sought last season whilst fans couldn't attend.

It was done to protect lower league clubs. To encourage / enable spectators to go to games in person. It is a competition law 'thing'.

But don't let that stop you blaming the league 🤣 they have said they are waiting for confirmation on whether legally it can be done.
Not true. Scottish clubs, for example, have agreed to broadcast live games to their season ticket holders.

The avoidance of broadcasters showing 3pm kick offs stems from agreements between the Leagues, Clubs and broadcasters, in order to protect lower league attendances (and, of course, their own attendances). But this is distinct from the clubs streaming games direct to their own fans lower down the leagues. Last season (for example) the EFL Clubs were able to stream live games to their fans on iFollow (and there is a plan to continue this this season), whereas Premier League clubs decided not to because it would "devalue their partners' paid rights" (ie. for financial reasons).

So these restrictions are by arrangement with the parties involved. The streaming of NLN games would not be a breach of competition law at all - what claim would BT Sport have against clubs streaming games that they themselves don't even cover? If you think it's a "competition law thing" I would be grateful if you direct me to the relevant law.

The National League can speak to BT Sports to reach agreement on streaming games (as the Scottish Premier League did with Sky Sports). I could understand BT Sport's reluctance in relation to National League clubs doing it, but the NLN and NLS have no impact on the value of their paid rights.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:21 pm

There are exceptions applied during the pandemic as I understand.

All I know is that it was brought up on a Step 7 (Northern League equivalent) AGM that until they received go ahead for this season from FA that streaming games was prohibited.

It was definitely inferred it was an EU law that stopped it - could have been some well worked brexit propaganda though I suppose.

Certainly reading more into it it sounds like a gentlemen's agreement more than anything else but the steer last season was that the OK was required from the FA to do so.

Not sure what the standardised competition rules say explicitly which apply for every step below EFL. Could be within that I suppose though articles from last year suggest the FA asked the government to lift the ban 🤷🏻‍♀️