Liam Ravenhill

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Liam Ravenhill

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:06 pm

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sp ... ds-3325586

Son of Ricky on trial tonight. 18 year old, but would just be loan if successful.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Liam Ravenhill

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:17 pm

Son of Ricky?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:24 pm

Edited. If he's as good as his dad then it'll be a bonus.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:56 pm

Andrew Nelson is also warming up tonight, be huge if we got him back.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:59 pm

Looks like it's the defence that will need some fine-tuning as well.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:38 pm

Defence shocking tonight conceding headed goals like we did, and with only 2 weeks to go pretty worrying tbh. Far too lightweight.Played some nice football at times and Andrew Nelson could be a massive bonus if he can get his fitness back

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:49 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:38 pm
Defence shocking tonight conceding headed goals like we did, and with only 2 weeks to go pretty worrying tbh. Far too lightweight.Played some nice football at times and Andrew Nelson could be a massive bonus if he can get his fitness back

Harrogate were a very strong team and not a surprise they were too good for us but agree it was worrying that they won so much in the air in our penalty area. A bit strong experienced central defender looks a must. Dial W for Wheater.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Tbf it’s easy to blame the two young centre halves but it wasn’t simply the defenders, the crosses should has been stopped and at least three of the goals were from midfielders losing their runner. On the positive side lots of decent football when we got it down and … Andrew Nelson

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:57 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Can only echo this really. It was obvious they were light years ahead of us in terms of fitness, which is expected. However, on the evidence of that performance we are in dire need of at least one CB. We looked very weak there today.

We are also lacking that physical presence up front, which AA has already alluded to.

Positives, for me, were Smith at LB. Looks a clear improvement and has a great delivery. Dos Santos also looks like he has something.

Realistically Alun has some major work to do in the next few weeks, especially given the strength of some of the additions clubs are making in our division.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:23 pm

Thought the keeper didn't dominate his area too much, although he did make some good saves as well. Disappointing performance & result tonight.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:15 am

We were really poor last night, IMO I think we will be mid table this year. There are just to many clubs with deep pockets that have secured better players.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:33 am

It is only our third friendly and second that most played with each other so still some getting to know each other, kept Harrogate in first half to one superb free kick, our three in Midfield good. However once the second one went in the defence did crumble and reverted to long balls forward when under pressure, Harrogate kept the ball and used keeper, Taylor was very quiet (harrogate keeper never stopped talking to his back four all night) and something we noticed with last few keepers; Hedley and Smith struggled to deal with decent crosses. Rivers and Santos support of Charman still a work in progress and if Andrew nelson gets himself fit could cover really well for injured Charman. Still not sure what Mondal brings to the team and needs some goals to get his confidence up. Yes very much a work in progress.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:03 am

Well the highlights is a definite hint of how to score past us.

CB are being blamed but from what I can make out the goals weren't necessarily scored by players who would expect CB to be picking up.

The first was a late runner (CM?), the fourth came from a free header at the back post (RB).

To me it looks like a team / collective issue rather than saying there is one new player needed. GK should have been stronger, CB should have been more dominant, midfielders should have tracked their runners.

To cap things off our goal looks to be offside.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:10 am

Not particularly concerned about the result last night, playing a team from 2 divisions higher who are much further ahead in their presason preparations, but the repetitive nature of the goals is a bit concerning. With our truncated preparations, a slow start to the season looks pretty likely. We're clearly also short in a number of areas of the squad, and perhaps our season will ultimately depend on how Armstrong's gamble of apparently going after full time players works out.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:20 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:03 am
Well the highlights is a definite hint of how to score past us.

CB are being blamed but from what I can make out the goals weren't necessarily scored by players who would expect CB to be picking up.

The first was a late runner (CM?), the fourth came from a free header at the back post (RB).

To me it looks like a team / collective issue rather than saying there is one new player needed. GK should have been stronger, CB should have been more dominant, midfielders should have tracked their runners.

To cap things off our goal looks to be offside.
Pretty fair analysis. However, it can't be underestimated how poor we looked at CB. AA has said as much in his interview. Both were bullied by their forwards.

A lot of the game was strange. The midfield 3 was flat and I'd assumed with the arrival of Purver we'd have released Hatfield further up the pitch but all 3 seemed deep. Of course, that could be fitness related, especially considering the quality of the opposition and their exceptional work rate. I imagine as pre season goes on this will improve.

Given Hatfield appeared to be on free kicks on Saturday, which appeared effective, I thought it was weird he didn't take any last night. Minor but if it worked against Newcastle surely we carry that on.

Again, as AA said we desperately need a presence up front. Charman will be twice the player if he has this type of player to play off but last night proved he can't lead a line as both of their CBs easily dealt with him.

Plenty to ponder and AA's PMI didn't fill me with massive confidence that we are going to be able to bring in the quality he hoped for at the start of the summer.
Craig Liddle is God!!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:32 am

We're in a bit of a catch 22 atm. Looking at the players we have been after and are after there is no doubt had we landed them we would have improved the squad and they are the types of player that we need which tells me Armstrong is looking at the right sort of players. But it was always going to be a challenge selling PT to FT footballers and so they are going to take their time to decide one way or another. I'd be more worried if AA was stood there after these friendlies saying 'Yeah i think we've got everything we need' like Tommy Wright used to.

As for last night, Harrogate would have always been one of my picks for a pre-season friendly (not particularly glamourous) but they do all the things well that we struggled against last season, and in that sense it was always going to be a proper test. They're a big physical side and they get plenty of balls in the box. They play like we did under MG and they're very good at it, I wouldn't be surprised to see them up and around the L2 playoffs again. Can only go from what I've heard and the limited highlights of the goals I've seen, but there's not too much you can do about a 30 yard freekick 1 in 25 hit the back of the net, the rest hit the back of the stand. The second goal Wheatley has to either make his clearance or get out of Taylors way he gets distracted by the keeper coming out in the end and does neither. 3rd goal is poor organisation second phase from a corner, Hedley doesn't close the cross down enough and as the second ball is swung in Rivers and Storey are both out towards the back post but neither puts any pressure on the ball. 4th goal again poor organisation from a corner let them play an easy short ball and not sure who Muldoon's marker was originally but he was no where near him when the ball was whipped in. 5th goal is just naïve Joey Hope a young FB marking Aaron Martin a massive No.9 one of the CB's has to take responsibility for marking him.

We are in a tough spot at the minute but we've still had very limited game time and in reality we're still looking to sign 4 or 5 first team ready players, who will probably be the decider on where we'll finish this season.

Nice to see Nelson back and getting on to the pitch, but think if we're looking at signing him we'll need a 3rd striker, the injury records of Charman and Nelson aren't favourable based on last season.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:53 am

A very honest assessment of last night’s performance by AA. Clearly we are short on numbers especially in the spine of the team. Plenty of cover at fullback with Hedley Smith Griffiths and Hope. Similar story with wide attackers Rivers Mondal and De Santos but short of central defenders and central strikers.
It is a gamble to be waiting on the availability of full time players but hopefully one that will still pay off. Thought AA sounded a little frustrated by the lack of progress but things could change before the start of the season. We are in a difficult position trying to compete with other clubs with more financial resources but that is the downside of being fan owned.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:05 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:53 am
A very honest assessment of last night’s performance by AA. Clearly we are short on numbers especially in the spine of the team. Plenty of cover at fullback with Hedley Smith Griffiths and Hope. Similar story with wide attackers Rivers Mondal and De Santos but short of central defenders and central strikers.
It is a gamble to be waiting on the availability of full time players but hopefully one that will still pay off. Thought AA sounded a little frustrated by the lack of progress but things could change before the start of the season. We are in a difficult position trying to compete with other clubs with more financial resources but that is the downside of being fan owned.
Just watched PMI and agree AA sounds frustrated not able to land a centre forward.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:16 am

Strange situation and one I cannot ever remember that our season is effectively based on a throw of the dice by the manager in waiting to the last minute to bring in the quality players the team clearly needs. Get them and we should be ok, don’t get them and we will really struggle.
Only worry for me is that he has clearly missed out on quite a few on his list already so why will the others choose Darlo over other local or full time clubs with more money who for sure will be in for them too.
Ok, yes, I have only seen two friendlies but my take on it is that the tried and tested players like Smith, Purver and Griffiths will be assets but the untried youngsters like Beedon, Santos and Mondal don’t look good enough to me.
Not sure about the keeper yet. Was expecting a big loud, dominant type and he certainly hasn’t shown any of that, but did make some good saves.
Let’s really hope that the dice rolls AA way!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:09 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:16 am
Strange situation and one I cannot ever remember that our season is effectively based on a throw of the dice by the manager in waiting to the last minute to bring in the quality players the team clearly needs. Get them and we should be ok, don’t get them and we will really struggle.
Only worry for me is that he has clearly missed out on quite a few on his list already so why will the others choose Darlo over other local or full time clubs with more money who for sure will be in for them too.
Ok, yes, I have only seen two friendlies but my take on it is that the tried and tested players like Smith, Purver and Griffiths will be assets but the untried youngsters like Beedon, Santos and Mondal don’t look good enough to me.
Not sure about the keeper yet. Was expecting a big loud, dominant type and he certainly hasn’t shown any of that, but did make some good saves.
On the plus side other teams can only sign a certain number of players and it is unlikely all our targets will be snapped up. It does mean we are waiting for other teams cast offs to some extent but we are where we are. I think AA did drop a hint in his interview that he would like us to go full time but I doubt this would be a realistic option without a cash injection. Patience is our only option at present which is not ideal but still very early days in the rebuilding process.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 am

Old Git wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:
On the plus side other teams can only sign a certain number of players and it is unlikely all our targets will be snapped up. It does mean we are waiting for other teams cast offs to some extent but we are where we are. I think AA did drop a hint in his interview that he would like us to go full time but I doubt this would be a realistic option without a cash injection. Patience is our only option at present which is not ideal but still very early days in the rebuilding process.
Still over 2 weeks to go and would imagine a lot of activity as EFL clubs are close to starting their season.Talking to a CF apparently and if Andrew Nelson can prove his fitness then even better.8 goals conceded is the worry for me and we badly need another CB.Not sure if Wheater has got fixed up yet so you never know

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:46 am

Very disappointed in our defensive work last night, second to every ball. Looked like we were at walking pace.

I know it’s pre-season and that it’s all about minutes in the tank, but conceding 11 goals in 3 games (2 games against u23 teams) is a cause for concern. Can’t do any of them any good confidence wise.

With Charman going off injured last night (anyone know what’s happened or how long he’s out for?), we badly need another striker and fast, can’t rely on just Charman himself and AA’s kid Rhys as our only recognised strikers.

Going forward, we don’t look too shabby at all. Played some decent footy with the ball at the feet - That’ll improve with more games, but again - my concern was how bad last nights defence was.

Onto Sunday now.
Last edited by AndyPark on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:46 am

EFL starts a week Saturday. Realistically teams will be having their last major friendly this Saturday. Would therefore expect decisions to be made early next week so definitely we will hear one way or another by middle/late next week giving us just over a week until the season starts.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:11 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:09 am
Quakerlad wrote:
There is full time and there is " full time "

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:18 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
I wouldn't place Mondal in the youngster bracket at 24 he has lots of experience but lacks confidence and it has shown in two appearances but like Charman, Maquire, Holmes last season we all hoped as forwards they came good but Covid knackered alot of that along with injuries.
Also lets remember our opponents Telford have not played any preseson friendlies so far , so will be ahead in preparation against some teams while Alfreton already played six Friendlies.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm

Telford definitely have played some friendlies

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:40 pm

Looks like we could already have a good striker on the books. Double hat trick Hattie Raine scored 6 in a14 goal romp for Darlington Ladies!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:56 pm

Telford have played several pre-season games and have 3 more lined up. They recently signed vastly experienced and commanding centre back Nathan Pond. He has played hundreds of games in the EFL and non-league and is a real organiser at the back.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:11 pm
Old Git wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:09 am
Quakerlad wrote:
There is full time and there is " full time "
Don't know if the club have ever done a full costing exercise of what would be required to progress through the differing levels of Hybrid or full time set up, but it would certainly be interesting.

In terms of Full Time. To my knowledge there are 5 full time sides in the league (Fylde, Gateshead, Gloucester, Kidderminster & York). Training 5 days a week. Within that I'm sure those clubs listed above I'm sure there will be a huge spread of playing budgets, could be anything from £450k to £750k. split that across a 19 man squad that's anything from c.£24k cost per player to £39k per player (noted larger playing budget would also give you opportunities for a larger squad and bring average cost per player down).

Hybrid systems its difficult to pick out, I believe Boston have a hybrid system and I think Chester were moving towards a Hybrid system, although Covid may have put paid to that where the players would train an additional day/morning a week. Although even within Hybrid systems there are differing options, you could do as said above add an additional part time session/s a week. Or something similar to what South Shields were planning of having a core of 12-13 younger full time players, supplemented by 6-7 of their better PT players who wouldn't want to make the move to FT. You'd then shift two of the the traditional day time training sessions to evening sessions to suit the PT players. Depending on what system and to what degree you implement it again I'm sure there could be a large spread of cost.

Traditional part time - the majority of the league still seem to fit into this bracket, training two evenings a week, which invariably is cut to one evening a week should there be a mid-week match. Which is where we currently are, assuming our playing budget hasn't changed massively over the last couple of years I think DJ was quoted as saying it was around the £300k - £325k mark. taking the higher amount across a 19 man squad that's c.£17k per player cost to the club.

Would be interesting to know if the club has undertaken the above exercise and what level of revenue we'd likely need to achieve to provide the finances for each of the different systems.

On top of the above obviously comes any additional cost of paying management, coaches, physio's for their additional time. The cost of renting somewhere to train for the additional training time.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:13 pm

We fell to our knees twice last night, once before kick off and then again in the second half.

Of course I take into account the quality of the opposition and I don't want to read too much into a friendly but there was a 20 minute period in the second half that was suspicious to say the least, we simply folded there's no other word for it and it was quite worrying to watch.

However I appreciate we've had a disrupted pre-season and we might be a week or two behind in terms of preparation and fitness than where we should be and hopefully it won't have too much of a knock on affect come the start of the season, it might have been a different story had we got those games against Tadcaster, Aycliffe and Northallerton under our belts one draw back of losing those three games is the remaining friendlies have been (with respect) against a higher standard of opposition and getting turned over like that by superior opposition does nothing for morale.

Also another concern is the squad looks thin a couple of injuries and we could struggle although I would expect to see a few more bodies come through the door in the next couple of weeks.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly