Jake Cassidy

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlobaz791
Team Supported: Darlington

Jake Cassidy

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:11 pm

Just signed. Former Wolves, Tranmere, Pools, York striker. Knows Will and Purver from Guisley.

AndyPark

Re: Jake Cassidy

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 pm

Welcome to club Jake, all the best.

Darlogramps

Jake Cassidy

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:57 pm

Looking at his recent record, it’s not exactly a signing to set the pulses racing. Not expecting him to be prolific.

Sounds like a back-up striker, or someone who’ll offer more of a physical presence if needed.

All the best to him - but we’ll need Charman fit most of the season if Cassidy and Nelson end up as his main back-up.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:02 pm

Not wishing to be overly judgmental before seeing the lad play but my York supporting work colleague said he looked good in preseason scoring a couple of goals but didn’t do much in the 12 games they did play in the regular season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:25 pm

Don’t quite understand AA at moment. It’s nailed on he will play 433 with a “lone striker” and two wider. Cannot see Cassidy being this type of player on his own, so will be surprised if he gets in ahead of Charman.
Dissapointed if this is the quality of signing that he has kept us waiting for all summer with words like “the players I’m after don’t need a trial they are a higher level and known and will come straight into the team”.
Can’t help feeling very underwhelmed by his signings so far given the £130k we helped with again.
Sure a number of you will say stop being negative and give players a chance but sorry, today’s signing does nothing to excite me for the season ahead. Just praying for a “known” experienced centre half or two!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:32 pm

Sometimes players fit into the whole of a jigsaw and the sum of the parts is lesser than the whole

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:50 pm

Armstrong specifically calls him a foil. He's not being signed as a prolific goalscorer I think that is what Charman / Nelson are expected to bring.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:52 pm

I wonder from Armstrong's comments whether we might start playing with two strikers. Talks about him being a good foil for a strike partner, doing the ugly physical stuff etc.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 pm

Let’s see how he gets on before writing him off - as some have done on social media.

More pressing for us is signing two good centre-backs.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:58 pm

Hartlepool fans don't seem very keen, but seen a piece posted on on twitter where he talks about finding them to be a very negative club so clearly not much love lost.

The same article suggested he's a hard worker, which I think our fans value.

Hopefully come out well. Nice to have a bit of physicality and graft in the forward line.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:38 pm

lo36789 wrote:Armstrong specifically calls him a foil. He's not being signed as a prolific goalscorer I think that is what Charman / Nelson are expected to bring.
Trouble is neither Charman or Nelson have particularly good injury records. Nelson hasn’t played in 18 months and Charman hasn’t scored a league goal for us yet.

So it’s a gamble, as if there are injuries or loss of form, we will need Cassidy to chip in with goals, which isn’t something he’s done elsewhere.

Back of a fag packet stuff - but it works out at him scoring on average three or four goals a season in his last eight campaigns.

I think everyone will want him to do well. But it’s not a signing that will thrill many.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:49 pm

When AA said he was looking to recruit players from full time clubs I don’t think many people had York City in mind but heigh ho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:22 pm

A lot of negativity about this signing. Behave yourselves he could be just what we need a 6ft 2 ins frontman to take on defenders and create chances for Charman Mondal Nelson etc. We have not had someone like that for a while so lets get behind the lad and give him our support.

moz1963

Post by moz1963 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:45 pm

:thumbup:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:37 pm

Old Git wrote:A lot of negativity about this signing. Behave yourselves he could be just what we need a 6ft 2 ins frontman to take on defenders and create chances for Charman Mondal Nelson etc. We have not had someone like that for a while so lets get behind the lad and give him our support.
Absolutely spot on OG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:06 am

Let's let the lad play before we make judgement. We know we've been after a bigger CF all summer and we went after the likes of O'Neill and Beck but the deals didn't come off. As others have said if he can be the foil we need for the likes of Charman and Nelson to be given space to do what we know they can then he could still be an astute signing.

Look at someone like Paul Mullin at Cambridge last season his signing would hardly have got pulses racing averaging 6 or 7 goals in full seasons of playing, gets to Cambridge things come together and fires them to promotion with 25+ goals. Not saying that's what will happen but let's give the lad a chance and not mark his confidence before he's even had a chance to play. sometimes things just come together for players at certain clubs.

Welcome to the club Jake, let's hope its a successful spell.

Darlogramps

Jake Cassidy

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:52 am

The lad has played, at 12 clubs in 10 years. No one seems to want to keep him. And those who have seen him play aren’t reporting good things.

Not being convinced by him at this stage is not the same as writing him off. I want him to do well and will give him time to prove himself. Indeed I suspect there’ll be people defending him here, who’ll be among the first to fire off critical posts if he has a few bad games.

Yes, absolutely give him time. But that doesn’t mean people can’t have doubts based on his record and other reports of him.

But my wider issue here is the broader strategy. Potentially our strikeforce will be Cassidy (not exactly a success at previous clubs) , Nelson (not played in 18 months) and Charman (who has potential but hasn’t really done anything for us yet).

It’s a risk, and has the potential to go badly wrong. I hope all three (presuming Nelson signs) prove me wrong and have great seasons. But if our back-ups to Charman are Nelson and Cassidy, I fear we’re putting all of our eggs in a Charman-shaped basket. And that’s a risk given his injury record and lack of league goals for us.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:28 am

Completely agree with Darlogramps.
My moan was not really about the lad himself, hope he is brilliant for us, but more about AA getting his strategy wrong this summer. Waiting and waiting for these “ higher level” signings clearly hasn’t worked and he has not delivered.
Here we are in desperate need for some experienced centre backs and the season starts a week come Saturday. Our attack is based on two youngsters with undoubted ability but haven’t completed 90 mins for a long time and someone released by another club at our level.
Based on the two games, in my opinion, we are weaker in both defence and attack and doesn’t make for optimism.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:57 pm

Campbell, Maguire, Sousa out.

Cassidy, Mondal, Dos Santos in.

Doesn't look like an upgrade to me at first glance, but let's at least give them time. Mondal and Cassidy have, after all, played much higher up.

I remember when we signed Liam Hatch, he had a very poor goal scoring record, and everybody was expecting just a battering ram and nothing else, but what a good player he was for us. He was a proper 100%er, all action, and to be fair, also improved his goal scoring to about 1 in 3. You never know, Cassidy could be the next Hatch, he is coming down the leagues as well.

Midfield is still strong, I think left back and right back are probably upgrades, and as for the keeper - I've been told by someone who spoke to an ex Darlo player/current coach, that Taylor is streets ahead of the likes of Saltmer. I know nothing about Taylor myself, so that'll do for me.

I sway between thinking that we'll struggle to mid table, to thinking well you never know.

I'll be a lot more confident if we get a solid experienced centre back and a known quality forward. Nelson could be that man, but there's question marks over his fitness so we have to be targeting others as well

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Let's wait and see what the next 2 weeks brings, still time and will be very surprised if nothing happens this week.Just back from the game and thought Cassidy was a good physical presence and certainly puts himself about.Nelson rattled the crossbar and I would certainly get him tied down to a deal.Really thought these 2 made a difference and either would be a good partner alongside Charman.Positives to take from the 1-1 draw.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Wrexham fans also described Mark Beck as one of the worst footballers they’d ever seen, and he turned out alright.

Whilst Cassidy’s goal-scoring record is not fantastic, it has been predominately in the league(s) above (with over 150 appearances in the EFL).

York fans don’t rate him particularly highly, but then again he didn’t play much there at all.

Let’s see how he gets on for us. Today he certainly managed to do something we’ve not had in 2 years, won a header upfront!

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:53 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:57 pm
Nelson could be that man, but there's question marks over his fitness so we have to be targeting others as well
From what I've seen of Nelson over the last couple of games, he seems to be over the injury and it is just a question of him shedding a few pounds and building up his overall fitness.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:53 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:45 pm
Wrexham fans also described Mark Beck as one of the worst footballers they’d ever seen, and he turned out alright.

Whilst Cassidy’s goal-scoring record is not fantastic, it has been predominately in the league(s) above (with over 150 appearances in the EFL).

York fans don’t rate him particularly highly, but then again he didn’t play much there at all.

Let’s see how he gets on for us. Today he certainly managed to do something we’ve not had in 2 years, won a header upfront!
This. Distinctly remember people writing off Beck as he'd come from Scottish football. Hilarious given the level he came from is infinitely better than ours.

Obviously, Cassidy's stats aren't amazing but it's only fair to give him a chance. We needed physicality and he brings that as Charman isn't the man for that role.
Craig Liddle is God!!

rogerkay

Post by rogerkay » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:37 pm

Let’s see how he gets on before writing him off - as some have done on social media.

Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox
Last edited by rogerkay on Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:49 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:57 pm
Campbell, Maguire, Sousa out.

Cassidy, Mondal, Dos Santos in.

Doesn't look like an upgrade to me at first glance, but let's at least give them time. Mondal and Cassidy have, after all, played much higher up.
I only saw Maguire play for us on QTV, but to me he never "cut the mustard" - I don't think he'll be missed.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!