Experienced centre half’s.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

Experienced centre half’s.

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 am

Am guessing that we have missed out on another summer transfer target with Jake Lawlor signing for the poolies. Big strong centre half, experienced and played at Guisely with Hatfield and Purver so got no doubts he was top of or pretty near the top of AA list.
Would have been exactly what we need but cannot compete with league clubs.
Have no idea of any others who are available. Anyone got any ideas? Wheater is obvious but as never linked to any club anywhere beginning to think he is just retiring.
Surely with the season starting soon AA has to come up trumps this week..........doesn’t he?

lo36789

Re: Experienced centre half’s.

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:31 pm

Are we expecting that Beeden / Storey will be behind another CB in the pecking order?

No idea how much on our radar Jake Lawlor would have been. Has there been any indication he would drop out of EFL2 and out of full time football this season?

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:31 pm
Are we expecting that Beeden / Storey will be behind another CB in the pecking order?

No idea how much on our radar Jake Lawlor would have been. Has there been any indication he would drop out of EFL2 and out of full time football this season?
Yeh, AA has said he wants at least one maybe two experienced players to slot straight into team so at least one of those two will give way.
He has said he is trying to sign released Efl players so think Lawlor must have been up there given his Guisely connection.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:17 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm
lo36789 wrote:

Yeh, AA has said he wants at least one maybe two experienced players to slot straight into team so at least one of those two will give way.
He has said he is trying to sign released Efl players so think Lawlor must have been up there given his Guisely connection.
My understanding is that Lawlor was on AA’s radar but did have a few offers higher up

The obvious target I’m guessing will be Wheater , that would certainly fit the description AA wants , I just wonder why he hasn’t been fixed up by now?

Another alternative could be Nathan Clarke, captained Halifax last season before being released in the summer. Big commanding and a leader, but is now 37

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:49 pm

It just so happens that there is an article on Wheater in today's Telegraph.

It also happens that it's behind a paywall, so I've no idea what it says.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ul-career/
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:05 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:49 pm
It just so happens that there is an article on Wheater in today's Telegraph.

It also happens that it's behind a paywall, so I've no idea what it says.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ul-career/
"One hundred per cent it’s killed my love of playing football,” the defender, 34, says. “People ask me if I’m still playing. I tell them I love football but everything else that goes with it now I can leave. After the last year, I’ve completely lost the love for it.

“I’ve always been a low-maintenance professional and loved what I do but after last season I’m happy not to do it. I don’t think I’ll ever say I’m retired but…”"

Interesting quote

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:24 pm

Perhaps Darlo are the one club who could rekindle Wheater's love for the game. Sad indictment of the game today that he ever lost it.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:32 pm

lo36789 wrote:
I think we are looking at that, yes.

Without panicking too much over pre-season, some of the goals & chances conceded have been all too easy, just like last season and the season before. Whilst pre-season is predominately about fitness and shape, it shouldn’t preclude the basics being carried out in a game of football (no free headers, communication, switching on from short corners etc).

A centre half or two away from being a good outfit, it’s a shame they seem to be as rare as hen’s teeth.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:40 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:32 pm
A centre half or two away from being a good outfit, it’s a shame they seem to be as rare as hen’s teeth.
It's tough isn't it.

Players that are experienced, fit enough to keep going, want to keep going (motivated) and are able to drop their salary demands whilst potentially not picking up full time work post playing career.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:24 pm

jjljks wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:24 pm
Perhaps Darlo are the one club who could rekindle Wheater's love for the game. Sad indictment of the game today that he ever lost it.
This would explain why he seems to have gone off the radar. Maybe part time football would be better for him than the demands of the full time game. However if he has completely fallen out of love with football he is best left alone as a player without desire is no good to us.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:21 pm

I think dropping Lexus Beedon would be the wrong thing at the minute. He's young lad away from home and needs to play to get his confidence up. If he's dropped it will hit him confidence wise . he must be made to feel at home and we will get the best out of him just my opinion.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:43 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:24 pm
jjljks wrote:
This would explain why he seems to have gone off the radar. Maybe part time football would be better for him than the demands of the full time game. However if he has completely fallen out of love with football he is best left alone as a player without desire is no good to us.
He seemed to have plenty of desire to sign for Hartlepool but I expect if he can’t get a move to a level he still thinks he’s capable of playing at he’ll mothball his career

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 am

divas wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:43 am
Old Git wrote:
jjljks wrote:
He seemed to have plenty of desire to sign for Hartlepool but I expect if he can’t get a move to a level he still thinks he’s capable of playing at he’ll mothball his career
"Plenty of desire". I think non-committal on ruling it out on a few tweets is more accurate.

It's his right to try and play at the highest level he can. He has a family, bills and a mortgage and he's still not exactly old.

I suspect the thing with Wheater would be a more a case of "and what else". If he can't find another job which will allow him the time for football on top he will just focus on his second career.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:32 pm
lo36789 wrote:
I think we are looking at that, yes.

Without panicking too much over pre-season, some of the goals & chances conceded have been all too easy, just like last season and the season before. Whilst pre-season is predominately about fitness and shape, it shouldn’t preclude the basics being carried out in a game of football (no free headers, communication, switching on from short corners etc).

I dont believe Wheater is the only answer to our defensive mistakes training by AA and DH needs improving (appreciate only train few hours a week) we seem to take time to switch onto who covers extra man at corner, near post or allocating a young inexperienced defender against a taller older pro.(yet we are very predictable at corners) and especially when subs come on.
Yes it has helped we have a keeper willing to come for the ball but the whole back four have to defend and talk and the few friendlies I have watched we are still very quiet at the back .
Harrogate players never stopped yelling (positively not just moaning) at each other and that is when you notice our lack of leadership or willingness to take responsibility is that price for part time I dont believe so.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 am

divas wrote:
Old Git wrote:
jjljks wrote:
I think the word you are looking for is retire

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:09 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 am
divas wrote:
Old Git wrote:
jjljks wrote:
No I wasn’t, hence not using it.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:37 pm

divas wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:09 pm
Old Git wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 am
divas wrote:
Old Git wrote:
jjljks wrote:
No I wasn’t, hence not using it.
Ok but not easy to take a break at 34 and then come back.Likely will be the end of his career if he does not find a club.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:05 pm

Yeah I would agree with that. McMahon just about managed it albeit at non league level, I guess that’s the sort of scenario I was thinking of. He’s maybe hoping that come Jan there are some injuries somewhere and he can step in. Trouble is he doesn’t want to travel out of the area yet wants to play full time in the league - kind of limits the options

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:52 pm

Isn't it "halves"?